The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #61
Chiefwicks2215
Mouser

Overhaul

Thought I'd share pics of my amazing head sculpt on a figure - fully repainted, sealed and ready to go. This is my new favourite figure by FAR! Thoroughly enjoyed doing this and would gladly spend the time on the other brothers too - just not worth it with the standard crappy heads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170715_225939.jpg (76.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20170715_193315.jpg (85.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20170715_172100.jpg (94.8 KB, 87 views)
Chiefwicks2215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #62
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwicks2215 View Post
Thought I'd share pics of my amazing head sculpt on a figure - fully repainted, sealed and ready to go. This is my new favourite figure by FAR! Thoroughly enjoyed doing this and would gladly spend the time on the other brothers too - just not worth it with the standard crappy heads.
Great job on this he looks amazing!
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #63
Chiefwicks2215
Mouser

Thank you!
Old 07-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #64
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

That turned out awesome! I will be working hard on some artwork commissions throughout the next 2 months. Once I get passed the jobs, I will commence the project with Raph and Leo. So much to do, so little time to do it all! Thanks for sharing your pics bud!

http://www.narcomics.com
Splint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #65
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splint'r View Post
That turned out awesome! I will be working hard on some artwork commissions throughout the next 2 months. Once I get passed the jobs, I will commence the project with Raph and Leo. So much to do, so little time to do it all! Thanks for sharing your pics bud!
Awesome, I look forward to buying the other 3 turtles
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #66
Chiefwicks2215
Mouser

Great stuff cannot wait to see what you come up with, I'm in for the bros! This is my favourite figure now!
Old 08-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #67
bwwd
Hench Mutant

They look great but why dont you mix acrylic green paint with a bit of red with resin to make it less saturated to match the figure instead of casting in white ?
Old 08-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #68
Tartaruhga Muhtante
Foot Soldier

Awesome work!!

When I see this I see someone who doesn't need to pass the disgust that most passes when the Playmates or any other toy maker launches a new "definitive" version after you have already purchased the previous one and finds out you were made of Muggle. How good it should be to know modeling and sculpting.
Tartaruhga Muhtante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 AM   #69
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Yeah they hire lame sculptors who dont care about turtles, this is why neca 1/4 looks great, Trevor is TMNT fan and he started his donatello as passion sideproject then it got greenlighted and turned into what we have today This is how it should be done.

We were waiting 27 years for figures like this
Old 08-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #70
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

I cannot believe I just found out about this! Simply amazing. I am about to get into custom painting figures, and I want to start on these figures but the heads are horrifically bad. I have to keep an eye on your status because I want to buy Raph and Leo and hopefully Mikey too.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #71
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Does anyone know the dimensions for the hole under the head?
Old 09-03-2017, 04:22 AM   #72
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purse Grabbin Puke View Post
I cannot believe I just found out about this! Simply amazing. I am about to get into custom painting figures, and I want to start on these figures but the heads are horrifically bad. I have to keep an eye on your status because I want to buy Raph and Leo and hopefully Mikey too.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like it. Here's my latest update. I will be moving to a new home by the end of October. Thought it would be sooner, but that didn't pan out. So that's less than 2 months from now. I have all this time, to come up with enough scratch, in order to secure a decent home to rent (not buy), so that means, I need to keep my nose down to my drawing board and develop as much product as I can, to sell. My art, tends to make a decent sum, so I'm crossing my fingers, I don't have to over-exert myself to reach my quota.

Once my family and I are moved in and settled, I can finally resume work on this project and take it all the way.

There is no rushing this project and I really want to push the accuracy as far as I can. My Don is sitting by my desk and begging for his bros to be finished.

Thank you guys so much, for your encouraging words and tips/suggestions.

I wish I could give you the exact dimensions of the ball peg. I went about making a silicone mold of it and used that to make the holes inside the head.

I currently have about 7 more copies of Donatello heads, but they all need the bandana to be painted, which I'll get to maybe next week. I'll make those available and end production until I can get the other bros finished.

They'll be available on my ebay page soon and I'll give the tip off here, in case anyone's interested. If I don't make that deadline, forgive me. I'll try again another day.

Take care bros.

PS. Trevor is AWESOME.

Last edited by Splint'r; 09-05-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #73
Chiefwicks2215
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splint'r View Post
Thanks a lot! I'm glad you like it. Here's my latest update. I will be moving to a new home by the end of October. Thought it would be sooner, but that didn't pan out. So that's less than 2 months from now. I have all this time, to come up with enough scratch, in order to secure a decent home to rent (not buy), so that means, I need to keep my nose down to my drawing board and develop as much product as I can, to sell. My art, tends to make a decent sum, so I'm crossing my fingers, I don't have to over-exert myself to reach my quota.

Once my family and I are moved in and settled, I can finally resume work on this project and take it all the way.

There is no rushing this project and I really want to push the accuracy as far as I can. My Don is sitting by my desk and begging for his bros to be finished.

Thank you guys so much, for your encouraging words and tips/suggestions.

I wish I could give you the exact dimensions of the ball peg. I went about making a silicone mold of it and used that to make the holes inside the head.

I currently have about 7 more copies of Donatello heads, but they all need the bandana to be painted, which I'll get to maybe next week. I'll make those available and end production until I can get the other bros finished.

They'll be available on my ebay page soon and I'll give the tip off here, in case anyone's interested. If I don't make that deadline, forgive me. I'll try again another day.

Take care bros.

PS. Trevor is AWESOME.
Good luck man! Will check back soon!
Old 09-24-2017, 02:57 AM   #74
bwwd
Hench Mutant

How did you solve resin shrinkage problem? From experience i know that once it cures then its a bit smaller and wont fit anymore like original casted part
Did You make original head a bit bigger ?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #75
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

I made sure to sculpt the head about 3% to 4% larger, which is about the amount of shrinkage you will get, for a part this small and hollow. It's hardly noticeable when comparing it with the original hard copy, but something worth considering when we're talking about fitting pieces together.

The hole itself, was cast from the factory piece and this is the only area, I had to work around with each piece, to make sure the part would fit on the ball joint. Because even at 3 to 4 percent shrinkage, it would become a very tight fit.

For some of the casts, I had to take a small piece of high grit sand paper and sand around the hole for about a minute. Usually that's all it takes to get it to widen enough for a perfect fit.
Also, another way around, as I directed in the manual (enclosed with every piece) is simply heating the plastic cast with either hot water (*only if unpainted), or a hair dryer set on high heat, for a few seconds. The resin becomes soft (almost like hard rubber) and can then easily be applied over the ball joint.

After reading your post, I went ahead pulled out my remaining 7 casts, which were pulled a little over a month ago, to see how well they fit today, and 3 were very tight, while 4 others had a nice fit. So with the 3, I'll have to gently sand the holes a little, to make sure it's not a problem for anyone.

With my next turtle, I will experiment a little and see if I can get that solved so as to not have to go back and work on every piece I pull. But If I can't, then I'll just continue to properly sand each piece.

*if you run scalding hot water on a painted piece, you may face clouding issues on the surface, due to the sealer separating. Only use the hot water solution, with unpainted parts. If you have used hot water and see clouding on the surface, you may need to lightly spray a coat of paint sealer (acrylic based) for it to fill the separation and make the white cloudy problem, go away.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #76
bwwd
Hench Mutant

|Great info thanks I figured that vaseline also helps to make surface smooth if it comes out weird from mold or from sanding.
Filler like talc also helps from what i read but it changes durability of resin, i might experiment more with that.Did You cast raph yet ? Im planning to buy these figures and then your heads but raph is my favourite.