The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 12-07-2023, 05:50 PM   #1
Shinningbolt
Random Punk

What if Kevin Eastman worked on this show alongside Peter laird at Mirage

You heard me what if Kevin Eastman came back sooner like he did post Nickelodeon buy out in a similar well he’s so I’ve been things like IDW, and the last ronin when the 2K3 TV show was in development how do you think things would’ve changed? How do you think he would’ve have influenced and in what direction? Including things like fan, engagement, and catering
To broader the fanbase
Shinningbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 04:42 PM   #2
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
He would have approved everyone of 4Kids' dumb ideas that Peter Laird rejected.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 06:28 PM   #3
Shinningbolt
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
He would have approved everyone of 4Kids' dumb ideas that Peter Laird rejected.
Like what do you think he would do or pass through, remember in this what if it’s both Peter and Kevin
Old 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"Return to New York" and "City at War" might not have sucked and been in name only. Maybe. Maybe.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:12 PM   #5
Shinningbolt
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Return to New York" and "City at War" might not have sucked and been in name only. Maybe. Maybe.
Officially within the last decade plus it seems like you care more about those types of details of that stuff more than kev ever did that enough itself is concerning
Old 12-09-2023, 11:56 PM   #6
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

That’s an interesting thought. My first thought is that it would be the ultimate TMNT show, but I also know they’d still be limited by censorship, budget, limited time.

Kevin and Peter are an awesome team but when you shift them from independent comic to Saturday morning cartoon, the freedom is neutered.

Kevin and Peter is better than just Peter when it comes to TMNT but I just don’t know how much room there was to improve given the nature of the show. At the same time, I’m acknowledging that the show is far from “perfect” so maybe they would have been able to utilize Kevin in a meaningful way.

I mean, get Kevin doing the story boarding and you’re already bringing something to the table but I don’t know how realistic that is.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 02:29 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinningbolt View Post
Officially within the last decade plus it seems like you care more about those types of details of that stuff more than kev ever did that enough itself is concerning
Do place your concern inward. Where it belongs.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:12 AM   #8
Shinningbolt
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Do place your concern inward. Where it belongs.
Kevin in an interview said Karai was shredder’s daughter
Old 12-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #9
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I would love to see Kev and Pete working together on a Mirage-based animated series for Netflix. But we know it will never happen.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:44 AM   #10
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

My immediate thought when asked the "What if" question in this capacity is: "Peter and Kevin would fight."

In reading through a lot of the notes and reflections from specifically Peter, I get the impression (and this comes from times where he outright said) that they would clash over ideas and it ultimately drove them apart.

It's maybe not a popular opinion, but I can't help but feel like the TMNT fans wouldn't be well-served to have both men working on the same show at the same time. Many of the early black and white TMNT issues were, from what I understand, either Eastman led OR Laird led, with the exception of a few key story points.

Am I right about that, or do I have it wrong? I don't claim to be an expert. I've been wrong before - I used to think Vanilla Ice was some kind of coffee drink!
Old 12-12-2023, 10:58 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
My immediate thought when asked the "What if" question in this capacity is: "Peter and Kevin would fight."

In reading through a lot of the notes and reflections from specifically Peter, I get the impression (and this comes from times where he outright said) that they would clash over ideas and it ultimately drove them apart.

It's maybe not a popular opinion, but I can't help but feel like the TMNT fans wouldn't be well-served to have both men working on the same show at the same time. Many of the early black and white TMNT issues were, from what I understand, either Eastman led OR Laird led, with the exception of a few key story points.

Am I right about that, or do I have it wrong? I don't claim to be an expert. I've been wrong before - I used to think Vanilla Ice was some kind of coffee drink!
I think so. But it doesn't sound like either one would yell at the other one, or get into heated arguments or anything in the way we'd imagine. They'd kind of just passive aggressively put a wall up or distance themselves, or such. Each one in different ways.
Old 12-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Kevin in an interview said Karai was shredder’s daughter
That's just stupid, unless it's been so long he forgot the details of a character he helped create.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:52 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That's just stupid, unless it's been so long he forgot the details of a character he helped create.
He also said the same thing in the notes of the IDW Mirage hardbacks too, I believe. So it's clearly in his brain somehow. I don't think anyone's ever bothered to correct him (certainly not anybody at IDW).
Old 12-13-2023, 11:22 AM   #14
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Am I right in thinking that they aren't related at all in the original comics? Both 2k3 and NICK have them share an adopted daughter relationship, and the IDW (if I'm not mistaken) portrays her as some sort of descendant, but I'm thinking Mirage never touched on any relationship between them one way or the other...
Old 12-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Am I right in thinking that they aren't related at all in the original comics?
Of course they aren't. In fact, she's probably even older than him as she had a full-grown daughter about the same time he died. No, Karai was created as an independent woman, the leader of the WHOLE Foot Clan, and Saki's overseas boss. Not his daughter, not his granddaughter, not his subordinate (the opposite, even).

I'll still never understand why veering away from that, making her Saki's subordinate or making almost the sum of her worth being his daughter, why this didn't piss off way more people. And it all began in 2k3 but the obvious reason for doing that there was because Saki... isn't really Saki there. Though even still they could have had Karai as the Japan Foot boss, who comes over and is this force that Ch'rell has to deal and contend with, complicating things. But nah, let's just make her Saki's adopted daughter.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:13 PM   #16
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Kinda thought that was the case. I’m not super familiar with the comics. I’ve read the really important stories, including City at War, and remember Karai’s daughter.

I don’t know. Guess the Shredder is just the be-all-end-all as far as the majority is concerned? I kinda like that they killed him off and found new ways for the turtles to be antagonized in the comics. Bring on the cow statue thieves and leave the shredder buried.
Old 12-21-2023, 05:00 PM   #17
Shinningbolt
Random Punk

Uh Hi it’s the original poster again. Can we get back to the subject of how the 2003 so I would be different if Kevin and peter worked on it together especially considering the subject of using material from like the Archie comics, and what was Peter laird’s white whale in that out of the playmates toy line/87 cartoon like he eventually day with Tom waltz in IDW comics
Old 12-21-2023, 05:27 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
especially considering the subject of using material from like the Archie comics
Doubtful. They'd probably feel pretty guilty for waffling on "The Mighty Mutanimals" cartoon for the Mirage staffers that pissed a lot of them off. I don't think their impulse would be to rob ideas and characters from what those guys did. Also, I seriously doubt either one would want to regardless.

You want to break it down? OK.

Ninja Violence? Peter is ho-hum on it, Kevin is big on it.

Science fiction? Peter is huge on it, Kevin is into like small helpings of anime-like sci-fi.

Lots mutants in the world? Peter is hugely against it, Kevin doesn't care. If Peter wants not a lot of mutants, I don't see Kevin making a big case against it.

Human-Turtle love interests? Peter is hugely against it, Kevin we don't know his feelings on it.

Wackiness? They're both against it.

Humor? Peter is into soft bits of light comedy here and there, Kevin likes his wisecracks and jokes. NOT slapstick, neither one.

So basically I think you would've ended up with a show almost identical to the 2003 we got, except with a little more ninja action. That's assuming Kevin would even be giving the level of notes that Peter did, back then, which kind of seems like something he wouldn't do.

Tags
2003 tv series, kevin eastman, mirage purists, peter laird