The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 11:34 PM   #281
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Problems with premature evaluation.

I mean, I left The Usual Suspects with about 20 minutes left. Why make a movie about Kevin Spacey while this Keyser Soze is the real player? I'm surprised they didn't make proper sequel out for that guy.

I did this with the 6th Sense as well. I got tired of Bruce Willis' wife being a bitch and not even looking at him during conversations. Come on.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #282
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Problems with premature evaluation.

I mean, I left The Usual Suspects with about 20 minutes left. Why make a movie about Kevin Spacey while this Keyser Soze is the real player? I'm surprised they didn't make proper sequel out for that guy.

I did this with the 6th Sense as well. I got tired of Bruce Willis' wife being a bitch and not even looking at him during conversations. Come on.
Fair points. Come to think of it, in that time and place I would have welcomed a Keyser Soze movie sequel. Though I did appreciate Singer slapping close the "trapdoors" at the end there. It worked and seemed powerful enough. Between that movie and Apt Pupil it seemed like Singer would have a long career as an auteur. And then he went on to do X-Men 1 which revolutionized the comic book movie industry before then going on to do his best to sabotage it in everything he's ever done after that. With a brief pause for an OK Valkyrie movie.

6th Sense, I can't comment. The hysteria on the early internet was so loud I couldn't avoid the big spoiler, so I was already spoiled going into it. So I can sit here and say it seemed obvious from the start, but I have no idea how I'd view it going in with 0 spoilers. I want to say I would have caught it from the start, because that's how I watch movies... but idk. My memory of it is vague as I only saw it the once but it seemed an OK enough gimmick/twist movie, which is what all of M. Night's early movies all were until he stopped the "OK enough" part of the equation.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #283
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. I liked it too.

I don't think Thomas Wayne being a hardass means Rhas Al Ghul is right that Gotham should burn. Sort of extreme if you ask me.
Not really. Isn't Rhas whole argument that there is no one good in gotham, hence why it needs to burn? about the ONLY good person we saw was the records keeper at arkham. even the cops where dicks..accidentally or otherwise shooting that guy on the subway inciting a riot (was the big guy supposed to be detective bullock?)

I also don't see this version of bruce wayn'es parents being all that loving and caring that bruce would care about them so much that he'd drive himself to become batman against all odds. that part of the narrative doesn't fit. Ms.Fleck's descrption of Thomas wayne 'that he does care' is what we where supposed to get. not really what we got.

As for midway reviews.. there is alot going on in this movie, and I wanted to get it down before I forgot some of it.

as for the end.. how did the clowns know where the jokers car was going to be in order to temp rescue him? that didn't make much sense.

they totally forgot about his neighbor at the end. and she was just as crazy as he was. wanting him to go to her office and cause havoc.

all in all, it was an enjoyable enough movie for what it was. something different in the super hero genre. interesting music...some of it reminding me of batman begin's 'half hero theme'.

A sequel would almost half to take place ten or more years later and be about bruce's first confrontation with him.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:28 AM   #284
Sumac
Banned

I'd really like to see a good movie about Two-Face.
His whole concept of duality is extremely interesting to me.
Just saying.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:38 AM   #285
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
they totally forgot about his neighbor at the end. and she was just as crazy as he was. wanting him to go to her office and cause havoc.
Jesus, man. All of his interactions with her were in his head. Did you not see the flashbacks of the scenes that she was supposed to be in and she was suddenly missing? Or how scared she was when he was in her apartment?

I guess you missed it because you were too busy writing a review instead of paying attention.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #286
CyberCubed
Overlord

He also said he thought she was like Harley Quinn, which blows my mind because they’re nothing alike. I wonder what movie he watched.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #287
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Not really. Isn't Rhas whole argument that there is no one good in gotham, hence why it needs to burn? about the ONLY good person we saw was the records keeper at arkham. even the cops where dicks..accidentally or otherwise shooting that guy on the subway inciting a riot (was the big guy supposed to be detective bullock?)

I also don't see this version of bruce wayn'es parents being all that loving and caring that bruce would care about them so much that he'd drive himself to become batman against all odds. that part of the narrative doesn't fit. Ms.Fleck's descrption of Thomas wayne 'that he does care' is what we where supposed to get. not really what we got.

As for midway reviews.. there is alot going on in this movie, and I wanted to get it down before I forgot some of it.

as for the end.. how did the clowns know where the jokers car was going to be in order to temp rescue him? that didn't make much sense.

all in all, it was an enjoyable enough movie for what it was. something different in the super hero genre. interesting music...some of it reminding me of batman begin's 'half hero theme'.

A sequel would almost half to take place ten or more years later and be about bruce's first confrontation with him.
I don't think Thomas Wayne is the crux of all society and that his actions should lead to the judgement and death of an entire city. If you're saying the entire city had no redeeming souls, than I mean, maybe burn them all? Idk, I can't vote for it. But I was debating the idea that Thomas being an asshole means everyone is an asshole.

A lot of people are shown to be assholes in this film, but we also know much of what we are told isn't even accurate.

Also, it's a completely different movie and Gotham anyway.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:52 AM   #288
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I'd really like to see a good movie about Two-Face.
His whole concept of duality is extremely interesting to me.
Just saying.
There is a really good Two-Face solo story in one of the Batman Black and White volumes.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #289
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I don't think Thomas Wayne is the crux of all society and that his actions should lead to the judgement and death of an entire city. If you're saying the entire city had no redeeming souls, than I mean, maybe burn them all? Idk, I can't vote for it. But I was debating the idea that Thomas being an asshole means everyone is an asshole.

A lot of people are shown to be assholes in this film, but we also know much of what we are told isn't even accurate.

Also, it's a completely different movie and Gotham anyway.
You have to remember, certain villains, even ones that don't see themselves as villains like Rahs Al Ghul, see things in black and white. He could see enough corrupt people in Gotham to determine that the entire city is corrupt and not worth saving.... OR he could also see that there are so few redeemable souls in Gotham that they're worth sacrificing for the sake of his goal.

Rah's ideas have always involved mass genocide for 'the sake of the greater good'. His strong convictions in what he's doing is right or necessary is what makes him so dangerous.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:21 AM   #290
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I don’t think I need to use spoilers since it’s already on home release.

I’m not the biggest Batman fan so I’m sure I missed references and Easter eggs. I have not even seen Dark Knight or Rises yet. Anyway the movie is great. Good setup, acting and tone.

My only complaint is something I thought just didn’t make sense. Why were the Wayne’s out during a riot? Was it a theater or restaurant they left? Regardless Thomas was running for Mayor and there was a lot of protesting so it seemed odd they’d go out at all. Unless the riot started just then during that sequence but then wouldn’t they have bodyguards?

So I read the theory that Fleck is not the real Joker and I honestly do NOT like that idea. Having a partner/henchman (or even someone who secretly wanted to replace him) take over later is fine but treating this as just the guy who inspires the actual Joker makes this seem pointless. All of this...and he’s not even the famous villain? Not that they’ve officially made it so but still.

I know the age difference with Bruce would be big but that’s actually an interesting direction imo. Joker could run his crime for decades knowing Gotham fears him and when Bruce finally turns into Batman he’s surprised someone opposes his power. Being older he could try to defeat Batman behind the scenes until they finally meet and Bruce reveals himself.

The director mentions wanting it to be a standalone movie but that’s basically impossible. Sure there could never be a sequel made but that would be a huge missed opportunity.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:27 AM   #291
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

All of those theories are fake. They had no long term plan for Joker movies and certainly never discussed "maybe this is the Joker that inspired the Jared Leto Joker" on any level, at any time. Hell, they don't even know if they still want the Leto Joker... they cut him out of Birds of Prey.

Now, as they presently toss around the idea of Joker 2? Maybe. But we'd still end up with 50+ year old Bruce Wayne in the present, which isn't what they're going for anymore since "The Batman" is present day. Unless the idea is to make a sub-DCDU verse where it's like, Joker in the 80s and The Batman in the 2000s/2010s, and everything else (Aquaman, WW, Harley, Shazam) in this other DCEU.

Eugh. What a mess. What a needless mess.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:13 AM   #292
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya I don’t really follow the DC universe so I don’t know what the plan was in general but I could see 2. Other franchises have separate versions.

I was kind of expecting a Batman tease at the end. I understand why they didn’t but there could be 2 series or is The Batman supposed to be sort of connected?
Old 09-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #293
AquaParade
Banned

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...joker-22672996

Anyone familiar with "Mirror" as a source for rumors? They are saying Joaquin has been offered $50M for two sequels and he is actively engaged with the script.
Please be true.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #294
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

Anyone familiar with "Mirror" as a source for rumors? They are saying Joaquin has been offered $50M for two sequels and he is actively engaged with the script.
Please be true.
I don't feel anywhere near as enthusiastic.

Joker was good, but it felt more like a "what if?" thought experiment than a story I enjoy and want to revisit, whether for rewatches or sequels.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #295
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:

Anyone familiar with "Mirror" as a source for rumors?.
They have a good record with Doctor Who spoilers if it's any help
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #296
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
They have a good record with Doctor Who spoilers if it's any help
Appreciate your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I don't feel anywhere near as enthusiastic.

Joker was good, but it felt more like a "what if?" thought experiment than a story I enjoy and want to revisit, whether for rewatches or sequels.
Understandable.
I don't know what to expect from a sequel anymore than I knew what to expect from the first film and that is what excites me. Hearing that Joaquin is all in on this character now is also pretty cool. I feel like I could pretty much tell you now what the basic three-act structure will be for any other upcoming comicbook adaption. I'm being facetious, but there's truth to it.

Last edited by AquaParade; 09-17-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #297
Turo602
The King of Kings

I feel like we didn't get to see enough of Joaquin Phoenix's Joker, if at all. So I always liked the idea of a sequel exploring his rise to power like Scarface or something. He already inspired a lot of loyalists, and we haven't seen Arthur take advantage of that yet. There's still a lot they could do with this character to get across the idea that he will become The Joker other than being mentally ill and discarded by society. They should definitely start moving into the gangster film direction for a sequel, that's for sure.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #298
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Please be true.
The Mirror is a garbage quality tabloid, same goes for thesun.co.uk. Their favourite "exclusive leaks" are usually whenever a new Bond film is in production and around 90% of their rumours turn out to be nothing but BS.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #299
AquaParade
Banned

Joaquin Phoenix is working with Ari Aster (Hereditary, Midsommar) right now. I truly believe he would be the perfect choice to direct Joker 2.

Probably won't happen but the stars are so close to being aligned, it hurts. The sequel deserves a whole new spin. Keep things insane and don't give us the expected. Aster could swerve this into truly terrifying territory.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #300
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Screen Rant
@screenrant
·
2h
Joker 2 will reportedly be co-written by the original movie's director and co-writer Todd Phillips, who has struck a deal to return https://buff.ly/2QW0pbe

Quote:
A new report says that Todd Phillips, who directed and co-wrote the original Joker movie, has been brought on officially to co-write Joker 2. The first film, which starred Joaquin Phoenix as the titular DC supervillain, earned widespread critical acclaim and won several major awards, including an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Phoenix. The sequel has been highly anticipated by fans since the original’s release.

Tags
eat the rich, incel joker, make gotham great again, yougetwhatyoudeserve