The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 02-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #21
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
4K remaster would be incredible. I'm not sure how much they could improve it given how the original production was incredibly grainy from get get go, but just owning it on 4K would be enough to sell me.
YYYuuppp... it could turn out as awful as 300 did on blu ray with that film's intentional grain being exaggerated beyond reason....

-here we go again-.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #22
mikey0
Foot Elite

This was the film that shot the turtles to fame and lead directly to Turtlemania ‘90.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #23
AquaParade
Banned

I'm watching this movie now as I do some other things around the apartment.
Gotta say, I just love this film more as time goes on.
Steve Baron totally gets it. The aesthetic is off the charts cool. I immediately geek out upon seeing The Foot occupy a dingy, undercover, diaper van in the most dank New York alley you can imagine. I'd be curious as to how many others geek out on this sort of thing, but to me, it visually nails the Mirage look, with help from the grainy filter.

Then there is the puppetry, which has so much finesse and helps sell the personalities and relationships.

There are compromises, like the lack of "teeth" in the action scenes, and essentially any changes they made to Baron's cut, including music. Despite these flaws, the film holds up incredibly.

Just a miracle of a film to a fan like me. It's hard to imagine another TMNT film topping it, in the sense that even if one were to nail certain elements better than this film, it would be a true feat to one up this film when it comes to heart and, again, aesthetic. At least in my opinion. Sure would love to be proven wrong.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-09-2020 at 01:01 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Nailed it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'm watching this movie now as I do some other things around the apartment.
Gotta say, I just love this film more as time goes on.
Steve Baron totally gets it. The aesthetic is off the charts cool. I immediately geek out upon seeing The Foot occupy a dingy, undercover, diaper van in the most dank New York alley you can imagine. I'd be curious as to how many others geek out on this sort of thing, but to me, it visually nails the Mirage look, with help from the grainy filter.

Then there is the puppetry, which has so much finesse and helps sell the personalities and relationships.

There are compromises, like the lack of "teeth" in the action scenes, and essentially any changes they made to Baron's cut, including music. Despite these flaws, the film holds up incredibly.

Just a miracle of a film to a fan like me. It's hard to imagine another TMNT film topping it, in the sense that even if one were to nail certain elements better than this film, it would be a true feat to one up this film when it comes to heart and, again, aesthetic. At least in my opinion. Sure would love to be proven wrong.
This was all well said... and your point about the puppetry just made me realize that I've never doubted it. Ever. Basically I always have watched that movie and just accepted those as the Turtles. Crazy.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #26
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

The Splinter/Raph scene in the sewer lair... simply incredible rubber performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
YYYuuppp... it could turn out as awful as 300 did on blu ray with that film's intentional grain being exaggerated beyond reason....

-here we go again-.....
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 02-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #28
AquaParade
Banned

Thanks for replies y'all. And yeah, the puppetry was certainly something else. I could have gushed over it more in my original post.
Again, it's the small mannerisms that really sell the idea of these turtles being real. There's a small moment where Mikey is scooting up in front of the television to see April, and blocking the view. He pulls himself back pretty quickly, without assistance, but you see Donatello's hand kind of wave him away anyhow. Hard to articulate why that moment is special, but seeing it in action really sells the puppetry for me.

And I'll emphasize the aesthetic perfection all day. It's actually sort of amazing that the movie is so visually representative of Mirage, when all they really had to do translate the gritty fidelity of Mirage was maintain the use of low-fi tools, and, of course, place it in New York. And *Bam* - the movie looks like it was ripped right off the pages.
Thankfully the farm section of the story also fits in perfectly and provides that bit of visual variety we need. Probably my favorite section of the film because we get so much of the "slice of life" aspect of TMNT that so many of us around here seem to appreciate. I could watch the Turtles play board games for hours.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
There are compromises, like the lack of "teeth" in the action scenes
Block, block, kick. Block, block, kick. Block, block, kick. *yawn!*
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I understand this. They are assassins and you don't see them cut anyone up. At some point, it starts to compromise the tension or suspension of disbelief. Mileage will vary.

The positive aspect to the action scenes is just how impressive again that puppet work is. Raph's initial battle with The Foot on the rooftop is a joy to watch. And hey, they did allow Shredder to be crushed in a garbage compactor, in which was most likely an intended death. And a pretty fun one at that.
While that doesn't improve the action scenes, it's at least an allowance of death and consequence in a story of revenge.

But yeah, I get it. And if I could bump up the action, I would. Does anyone remember whether Baron's cut had more visceral fight scenes? I can't recall.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #31
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I understand this. They are assassins and you don't see them cut anyone up. At some point, it starts to compromise the tension or suspension of disbelief. Mileage will vary.

The positive aspect to the action scenes is just how impressive again that puppet work is. Raph's initial battle with The Foot on the rooftop is a joy to watch. And hey, they did allow Shredder to be crushed in a garbage compactor, in which was most likely an intended death. And a pretty fun one at that.
While that doesn't improve the action scenes, it's at least an allowance of death and consequence in a story of revenge.

But yeah, I get it. And if I could bump up the action, I would. Does anyone remember whether Baron's cut had more visceral fight scenes? I can't recall.
Nope.

Getting any sort of usable fight scenes with stunt actors wrapped head-to-toe in thick foam rubber suits is an amazing feat of filmmaking and puppetry. They pushed boundaries on TMNT, unless I missed a kung-fu scene in Labyrinth or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I feel the same about Ambien-level fanfic. To each his own.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #32
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

I could care less about the upgrade or transfer. I just want loads of behind the scenes stuff, interviews and deleted scenes. I would be happy with the same transfer as long we got those things.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #33
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Who else saw this classic in theaters?

Last edited by Egon1982; 02-14-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #34
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
Who else this classic in theaters?
I remember the title sequence receiving a loud applause from all of the children in the audience (including my cousin). To this day, I don’t understand why the Fred Wolf cartoon logo was used for the 1990 movie. I find it baffling. I’m sure some fans of the Fred Wolf cartoon were misled into thinking the movie universe was tied completely to the Fred Wolf cartoon, besides the slogan saying that the film “was no cartoon”. The cartoon was compared to the movie almost all of the time by some children of the very early 90s after the first film was released.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-14-2020 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:49 PM   #35
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Who else saw this classic in theaters?
Oh I absolutely did. I saw it with a buddy of mine who loved that stuff as much as I did as a kid. I guess we were 12.

Then, when it came out on VHS I watched it -embarrassed- daily after school for about a month. Seriously. Crazy. I'm pretty sure I still have the VHS tape in an old shelving unit in the basement.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:35 AM   #36
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I remember the title sequence receiving a loud applause from all of the children in the audience (including my cousin). To this day, I don’t understand why the Fred Wolf cartoon logo was used for the 1990 movie. I find it baffling. I’m sure some fans of the Fred Wolf cartoon were misled into thinking the movie universe was tied completely to the Fred Wolf cartoon, besides the slogan saying that the film “was no cartoon”. The cartoon was compared to the movie almost all of the time by some children of the very early 90s after the first film was released.
Yeh i noticed too.

And how old were you when you saw it in theaters?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #37
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeh i noticed too.

And how old were you when you saw it in theaters?
23 years old. I took my cousin to see it.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:46 PM   #38
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

I was 6 when the move came out and its my all time favorite. parents took me to see it in theaters with my brother. Which was the first time I also saw the arcade which was in the lobby. I still remember watching the cartoon vhs tapes and seeing the trailer for it
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #39
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

You were 6? Surprised it had a such an impact at 6. I was 10 and saw it opening day. I always thought 9 to 11 was prime age to appreciate this movie and the atmosphere at the time it was released.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:04 AM   #40
tmntgeoff
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
You were 6? Surprised it had a such an impact at 6. I was 10 and saw it opening day. I always thought 9 to 11 was prime age to appreciate this movie and the atmosphere at the time it was released.
I think because it was the first movie I saw in theaters. I was really into the 1989 batman movie as well.
tmntgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote