The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #21
Peanut
Second Gear

You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
MisfitKraang
Foot Soldier

It's pretty much the fan base that's killed sonic. Like really have you guys seen the creepy fan art, fan fiction, furries and of course CWC?!?! The list could go on and on, let Sonic die and let us remember it for what it was.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #23
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitKraang View Post
It's pretty much the fan base that's killed sonic. Like really have you guys seen the creepy fan art, fan fiction, furries and of course CWC?!?! The list could go on and on, let Sonic die and let us remember it for what it was.
Agreed. The fan base is broken. It didn't help that there were many different Sonic continuities made in the 90s like SatAM and Fleetway.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #24
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
You can't even contribute anything worth a damn to threads you create.
No, you just don't know the power of Sanic Hegehog.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #25
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I agree, Peanut. You put into words what I think of Sonic at the moment. I played the old genesis games for the first time in years recently. They're still fun to play, but they're not as good as I remembered them. I think their soundtrack makes them better than they actually are. Most of them were rushed out for release.
Guess it's a matter of opinion. Every time I play, I still get the same feeling I did when I was a kid. My heart still races when doing a water level and trying to find a bubble. i still get fired up in Sonic 3 when doing the bonus stage and an adrenaline rush when it speeds up. Oh and that feeling I got when veating Sonic 2 the first time at like 10 is nearly the same as now. *2 is my fav* The music also helps. The only downside is that I can't play on a Genesis anymore and have to resort to using an emulator. *Thinks*. Ok, I guess Sonic & Knuckles isn't as fun as I recall...

That aside, I can only partially agree with Peanut as I still feel the older games are good. I don't think I've ever played a Sonic game that I disliked, although granted, I haven't played as many as most have and I'm a very casual Sonic fan.

Getting down to it, at this point, I don't think it's the games that draw me to Sonic, but the characters themselves. I really like the Sonic characters.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 PM   #26
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitKraang View Post
As terrible as all those things are, none of them made Sega develop almost nothing but terrible Sonic games since the series's conception.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:02 AM   #27
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
As terrible as all those things are, none of them made Sega develop almost nothing but terrible Sonic games since the series's conception.
I still feel it's because Sonic fans don't know what they actually want and the fact that we have many Sonic outlets and continuities splitting people.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:25 AM   #28
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I'm not sure if it's that Sonic fans don't know what they want, I think it's more of a divide of what they do want. As a whole, we cannot agree. I want more Sonic Adventure styled games. I liked the 3D thing, and I really think if Sega put their minds to it, they could figure out how to make it work better. I realise I'm in a minority with this opinion.

Some fans preferred the 2D sidescrolling, such as the classic levels in Generations. I'd be just fine with more games like that too, but whenever we get one, I'm disappointed because, again I'm a minority in that I like Sonic's friends and I want to play as them. I don't want to run through the whole game as just Sonic, it bores me. Tails and Knuckles were much more fun.

But a lot of people JUST want Sonic and they don't want the games to be bogged down with tons and tons of characters. The games that were more character-heavy like Heroes and 06 were indeed too much, but I think the two Adventure games did okay. I wouldn't want more than six unless it was some sort of spinoff [like Riders], and depending on the gameplay that may be too much as well. In a 2D sidescrolling Sonic I wouldn't want more than four. Sonic Advance pulled this off wonderfully. Sonic Rush did a great job too and it only had two.

There's a huge split in what people want and I don't run into many Sonic fans that can agree on anything. Like, I was even about to make a statement that Sega couldn't go wrong with a Generations-esque game but with the option to play as Sonic/Tails/both with an option for local or online players to take control of Tails... But not everyone will agree, even on an awesome concept like that.

I also think it'd be a very nice idea if they, perhaps, improved upon Lost World's formula and gave the option for a player 2 to pick up the Gamepad and control Tails, which eliminates the problem of player 2 losing track of Tails. I think this idea would work great on the 3DS as well. I'm really attached to that idea because I played a lot of Sonic 2 and unless you don't want all the Chaos Emeralds, you're finding someone to play Tails for you.

But y'know, more than any of that, can I just have a new Chao Garden? Online trading and competitions? Expanded garden capacity? New types, maybe? PLEASE?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #29
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Guess it's a matter of opinion. Every time I play, I still get the same feeling I did when I was a kid. My heart still races when doing a water level and trying to find a bubble. i still get fired up in Sonic 3 when doing the bonus stage and an adrenaline rush when it speeds up. Oh and that feeling I got when veating Sonic 2 the first time at like 10 is nearly the same as now. *2 is my fav* The music also helps. The only downside is that I can't play on a Genesis anymore and have to resort to using an emulator. *Thinks*. Ok, I guess Sonic & Knuckles isn't as fun as I recall...

That aside, I can only partially agree with Peanut as I still feel the older games are good. I don't think I've ever played a Sonic game that I disliked, although granted, I haven't played as many as most have and I'm a very casual Sonic fan.

Getting down to it, at this point, I don't think it's the games that draw me to Sonic, but the characters themselves. I really like the Sonic characters.
It's an opinion if you enjoy the games or not, sure, but you need to realize that you can like and be way into something that isn't great. You can still love something to death and admit that it is, objectively, not very good. You're saying you enjoy underwater Sonic levels, but they're mechanically abhorrent and almost universally despised. Take a step back and realize that while you have every right to enjoy it, that doesn't absolve it of all the missteps those levels take in terms of design and playability. I enjoy Tecmo Koei's musou games, but that doesn't mean they're good games. I'm also not saying the original series of Sonic games is bad, but they're the perfect example of decent games that are haunted by overblown nostalgic reverence that they don't deserve, which is why nothing Sega does will ever live up to them.

And your last point proves my previous opening statement accurate; a majority of Sonic fans these days are attracted to the franchise by the characters, something video game enthusiasts despise, because Sonic's sh*tty friends are synonymous with the perceived downfall of he series quality and integrity. That immediately creates an issue for Sega and it's continuously a battle for them to do anything that will please anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I liked the 3D thing, and I really think if Sega put their minds to it, they could figure out how to make it work better.
I mean...they've been trying to do it for almost 20 years and they never once got it right. How many more times can they f*ck up the same thing before people realize it'll never work out? The best they've done are the modern Generations levels, and they're a simplified and straight forward version of the 3D on-rails stuff they were doing with the Wii games. They can't do the open-ended Adventures stuff, they just can't. Either they don't have the ability and skill, or Sonic just can't be properly adapted to that style. I think it's honestly both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
But a lot of people JUST want Sonic and they don't want the games to be bogged down with tons and tons of characters. The games that were more character-heavy like Heroes and 06 were indeed too much, but I think the two Adventure games did okay.
I don't think the issue is that the characters exist or are playable, as awful as they all are, but it's that their gameplay implementations are horrendous. If any of that stuff had been great (or even servicable) in Adventure, I don't think the "Sonic and his sh*tty friends" stigma would be hanging around today, but Sega absolutely sh*t the bed on all that stuff. People are way quicker to forget the good stuff (Generations has been entirely forgotten in the wake of Lost World and Sonic Boom) and way longer to forget Rogue The Bat.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #30
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles combined. Still a fun classic!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #31
oldmanwinters
Overlord

From Sonic's official YouTube channel:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wat.../1100-6428895/

Umm...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
From Sonic's official YouTube channel:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wat.../1100-6428895/

Umm...
I have to admit, that made me laugh.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #33
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

I'm a little worried about Sonic's future. Back then we got a lot of good stuff like SatAM, the OVA/movie, Sonic CD, and the Archie Comics (once they stopped making the comic a joke and were serious for once), Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic R, and Tails Adventure. For me at least, I think the 3D era is what started to kill off Sonic. The games stopped being fun starting sometime after Sonic Heroes. The designs after that became atrocious and too cartoony, gameplay was increasingly frustating, the series got rebooted into Sonic Boom, and the Penders' lawsuit caused the comics to be rebooted during a very good and exciting storyarc (I can feel Ian Flynnn's pain on having to scrap what you're writing due to a stupid copyright claim). While the comics are not bad, and I have seen at ONE decent episode of Sonic Boom, the future of Sonic doesn't seem to be going good. It might be deader than dead in a few years like Crash Bandicoot was due to the radical changes that Radical Entertainment put him through.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #34
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I dunno about Sonic's future, but I know I've been giving his current show "Sonic Boom" a chance over the week. I don't think it's any good at all.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #35
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

First of all, to Shia's DLC. Now watch, they're going to make him a Smash Bros character. I can already imagine his tagline:

Shia does it again!!!

In all seriousness though, I really have no problems with Sonic Heroes, Unleashed, Generations, or Colors. The first one I really like because of nostalgia, the second feels like a final game, and then the last two are pretty loved by a lot. I keep saying to give Sonic a rest, Sega I feel should experiment with their other franchises like Nights, try to increase interest to leave the blue blur down. I honestly want Sonic to rest, otherwise the legacy of the character will be infamous.

If there's a way to improve the series, why not go with a game with a tone of the 90s show (NOT THE GOOFY ONE) with some good comedy? Maybe mix in a style similar to Sonic Rush and possibly Generations with it's 3D. You could make your own character helping Sonic and his friends in this world trying to save all. I don't know if this would be a good game idea, but food for thought.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #36
Mew
Banned

I like Sonic Generations. I liked the classic style better, but the modern style was okay. I think it's one of the only good new Sonic games out there. I'm telling 'ya, the New Super Mario Bros. formula could work.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #37
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I dunno about Sonic's future, but I know I've been giving his current show "Sonic Boom" a chance over the week. I don't think it's any good at all.
It depends on tastes. I can see why some people don't like it but I find certain episodes to be either entertaining to meh. I enjoy it more than I enjoyed Sonic X.

Sega, in my opinion, should give their other franchises a chance. I would love to see a new Streets of Rage more than anything from them. But it's also a double edge sword when in North America, Sonic is their only IP that sells. How much would the All-Stars Racing sell if it didn't have Sonic's name on the title? So I can see why Sega releases so many Sonic games but I also believe that they have to try to give another IP a shot.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #38
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
they're the perfect example of decent games that are haunted by overblown nostalgic reverence that they don't deserve, which is why nothing Sega does will ever live up to them.
I think it has more to with the fact that Sega dosen’t have the time and budget to create a game that people want. Just look at the reputation of the fan games out there; Sonic Fan Remix had several websites like Kotaku and Wired asking why the official Sonic 4 didn’t look as good. Sonic After the Sequel got a lot of praise…it was even popular enough to have it’s own article on Wikipedia. Even the Sonic-styled original game, Freedom Planet, has received lot of praise from critics.

Ignoring that, Sonic's reputation from 2010 to 2013 was improving with games like Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed…and then Sonic Lost World and almost everything Sonic Boom happened.

I think the series reputation can be fixed, but it would take years of constant successful games to do it and Sega's own reputation leaves doubt on that ever happening. There is hope, Sega has stated that they plan to stop rushing games out and Sonic Team (Sonic Lost World was made by a different team) hasn’t made a Sonic game since Sonic Generations in 2011. Everyone is expecting a game from them in 2016 to celebrate Sonic’s 25th anniversary, so let’s wait and see what the future brings.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #39
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMeow View Post
I like Sonic Generations. I liked the classic style better, but the modern style was okay. I think it's one of the only good new Sonic games out there. I'm telling 'ya, the New Super Mario Bros. formula could work.
They already tried that. It's called Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Speaking of the Sonic Boom TV series, what's wrong with it?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #40
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
They already tried that. It's called Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Speaking of the Sonic Boom TV series, what's wrong with it?
First of all, it's filled with idiotic plots, the characters (especially Knuckles) have been dumbed down a lot, and it overdoses on the comedy but underdoses on the plot and action. It feels like a really, really bad Nick/Disney sitcom or Sonic fanfiction. And don't get me started on Shadow, who feels like a Vegeta ripoff now...

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog may have been really stupid, but at least I could take Robotnik somewhat seriously (like in the episode where he nearly succeeds in blowing up major Mobian transports [an airport, a train crossing control centre, and a lighthouse]). This one...he becomes roomies with Sonic and Tails, and tries to be Sonic's sidekick. (Seriously? What the shell were they thinking?)

This show is almost as bad as Teen Titans GO! .

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote