The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #41
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I am holding off final judgment on it until I see the rest of the season's episodes and can judge whether the story of how they got there was to my satisfaction.

As it stands now, I don't hate the episodes at all--I just don't think they feel like a finale, and they don't feel like Ninja Turtles. Instead, they feel like just another instance of a part of this series I haven't been too crazy about from the get-go; its willingness to drag the narrative into homages to various popular movies. At least Road Warrior isn't yet another horror film, and those episodes didn't feature the sorts of villains who seem like they should be fighting Panty and Stocking instead, but ultimately the most praise I can give the "finale" is it's something quite unique for cartoons, and it had many great scenes--but nothing about it necessitated its characters being turtles, or honey badgers, or meerkats, or iguanas; nor do I remember it taking advantage of any of that. They even put almost all of the Turtles through transformations so they didn't fight their signature way anymore.

I'd have far rather this show focused in on a more limited amount of characters and settings. There's a lot of stuff that was introduced that they just abandoned long-term, and I lay this abandonment at the feet of shoehorning in the sorts of plots that allowed them to throw in more villains of the week and dress the turtles up some how, so they could sell more toys. That might even have been an acceptable direction for me, except the Playmates toyline got worse and worse.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
I'd have far rather this show focused in on a more limited amount of characters and settings. There's a lot of stuff that was introduced that they just abandoned long-term, and I lay this abandonment at the feet of shoehorning in the sorts of plots that allowed them to throw in more villains of the week and dress the turtles up some how, so they could sell more toys. That might even have been an acceptable direction for me, except the Playmates toyline got worse and worse.
What did they abandon? I don't know why people keep saying this. The only thing the writers purposely let go was de-mutating Mutagen Man, but they made references to him constantly and showed his container in the last episode at the bottom of the sludge pit. Obviously the writers felt Timmy should remain a tragic character because as a human he was stupid enough to want to become a mutant and made his own fate.

I'm in the process of rewatching the show right now and am in mid-Season 2 now, and even everything with April is more clearly explained then I remember it being. It helps watching these eps regularly rather than weeks/months apart. Pretty much every major villain had their character arc resolved or left on peaceful terms by the end of the season.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #43
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What did they abandon? I don't know why people keep saying this. The only thing the writers purposely let go was de-mutating Mutagen Man, but they made references to him constantly and showed his container in the last episode at the bottom of the sludge pit. Obviously the writers felt Timmy should remain a tragic character because as a human he was stupid enough to want to become a mutant and made his own fate.
Well they kinda abandon things characters find important like April's history, Casey's family, Baxter Stockman, and Alopex
Old 10-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

They explained most of April's history through various episodes. Watch, "The Kraang Conspiracy" from Season 2. April's parents were abducted by the Kraang and her mother was experimented on before she was born. Because of this April received some of the Kraang's telepathic powers and she developed them over the course of the series. Her mother died and April's father took her with them to escape from the Kraang. We see in the episode the Kraang create April clones just like they cloned April's mother, because they were trying to re-create the special hybrid April was but they failed each time. This is why they were trying to recapture her and her father.

They said April's DNA would help them perfect the mutagen to help them take over the Earth as well, since the mutagen was just turning people into monsters/animals instead of what they wanted. After that they just planned two invasions of Earth (the Season 1 and 2 finale's) and failed each time because of the Turtles. They were basically trying to change Earth into Dimension X. After that they just move on from April and still try to achieve their goals.

As for Casey's family...really? He said he has a sister and a father, what does it matter? We don't have to see them.

Baxter was resolved. He was demutated at the end of Season 4 and knocked out. We can imagine if he escaped the burning building at the end (who knows, he might have died ) he just went back to a normal life hence him not being in Season 5. I don't know why you'd bring this up.

Alopex could have gotten another episode, but I guess it's not a big deal. She's not a major character.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #45
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
They explained most of April's history through various episodes. Watch, "The Kraang Conspiracy" from Season 2. April's parents were abducted by the Kraang and her mother was experimented on before she was born. Because of this April received some of the Kraang's telepathic powers and she developed them over the course of the series. Her mother died and April's father took her with them to escape from the Kraang. We see in the episode the Kraang create April clones just like they cloned April's mother, because they were trying to re-create the special hybrid April was but they failed each time. This is why they were trying to recapture her and her father.They said April's DNA would help them perfect the mutagen to help them take over the Earth as well, since the mutagen was just turning people into monsters/animals instead of what they wanted. After that they just planned two invasions of Earth (the Season 1 and 2 finale's) and failed each time because of the Turtles. They were basically trying to change Earth into Dimension X. After that they just move on from April and still try to achieve their goals.
So where does the whole "Her mind is the center of the universe" come from, is that from the Kraang messing with her DNA, how does messing ones DNA make their mind the center of the universe. Also again are there more people like April's mom with this "unique DNA" and if so why don't the Kraang experiment on other people its not like they are impatient and if not why does April's mom have this unique DNA also again if the Kraang have been mutating human DNA since the dawn of humanity how come it took them this long to find a this unique "DNA".
Quote:
As for Casey's family...really? He said he has a sister and a father, what does it matter? We don't have to see them
Because apparently that his motivation for fighting, its like making a Daredevil adaption and never introducing his dad

Quote:
Baxter was resolved. He was demutated at the end of Season 4 and knocked out. We can imagine if he escaped the burning building at the end (who knows, he might have died ) he just went back to a normal life hence him not being in Season 5. I don't know why you'd bring this up.
Thats literally the opposite of resolved

Quote:
Alopex could have gotten another episode, but I guess it's not a big deal. She's not a major character.
Again she was the sibling of the TigerClaw and cut off his tail which was one of Tigerclaw's motivation yet she only appears in one episode.And to add salt into the wound she was based on a major and popular character in the IDW franchise yet she only appears in one episode
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
So where does the whole "Her mind is the center of the universe" come from, is that from the Kraang messing with her DNA, how does messing ones DNA make their mind the center of the universe. Also again are there more people like April's mom with this "unique DNA" and if so why don't the Kraang experiment on other people its not like they are impatient and if not why does April's mom have this unique DNA also again if the Kraang have been mutating human DNA since the dawn of humanity how come it took them this long to find a this unique "DNA".
From what we've seen April was the only successful hybrid they created. I guess we'll never know why there weren't more humans like April, it's something the show never delved into. I don't think they literally meant her character was the "center of the universe" but that in our dimension she was the only character experiment that worked that had their power. Why do you think the Kraang continued their invasion of Earth without April? She was one of their plans to harvest their DNA, but not the only one.

Quote:
Because apparently that his motivation for fighting, its like making a Daredevil adaption and never introducing his dad
It's literally just backstory. Casey said he had family to protect, that's all there is to it. It's like the people wondering why April's Aunt never appeared on-screen back in Season 1....lol.

Quote:
Thats literally the opposite of resolved
Baxter's character literally was resolved that way. When Season 4 ended almost everyone agreed that if he didn't appear in Season 5 then that was his closure, and it turned out to be so. I don't know what you feel needed to happen with him. Characters don't need to either be literally killed off or just be done away with in some form. It's pretty obvious the writers intended that to be his final episode, they purposely didn't have him in Season 5's Kavaxas arc for that reason.

Quote:
Again she was the sibling of the TigerClaw and cut off his tail which was one of Tigerclaw's motivation yet she only appears in one episode.And to add salt into the wound she was based on a major and popular character in the IDW franchise yet she only appears in one episode
Well I agree Alopex should have appeared again, but I'm not that broken up about it. I kinda did expect Tiger Claw/Alopex to get one more episode on screen before the show ended, but I guess not.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #47
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
From what we've seen April was the only successful hybrid they created. I guess we'll never know why there weren't more humans like April, it's something the show never delved into. I don't think they literally meant her character was the "center of the universe" but that in our dimension she was the only character experiment that worked that had their power. Why do you think the Kraang continued their invasion of Earth without April? She was one of their plans to harvest their DNA, but not the only one.
They literally said "Her mind is the center of the universe" thats too big of a plot point to not be explored or explained. As for the Kraang having other plans for harvasting DNA why didn't they do those other plans instead of spending 16 years searching for April. It feels like the turtles are fighting two different alien species one is a race of being who lived on Earth for over a millennia taking their time taking the earth and terraforming the planet and the other are basically the "waste no time destroying humans" type of aliens.

Quote:
It's literally just backstory. Casey said he had family to protect, that's all there is to it. It's like the people wondering why April's Aunt never appeared on-screen back in Season 1....lol.
Okay you don't know what context is the difference between the two is that April mentioned her Aunt off key meanwhile Casey(and I'm going to put this in bold) said his motavation for fighting crime is the protect his family. If Casey mentioned his family in a more mundane manner I would't had brought it up

Quote:
Baxter's character literally was resolved that way. When Season 4 ended almost everyone agreed that if he didn't appear in Season 5 then that was his closure, and it turned out to be so. I don't know what you feel needed to happen with him. Characters don't need to either be literally killed off or just be done away with in some form. It's pretty obvious the writers intended that to be his final episode, they purposely didn't have him in Season 5's Kavaxas arc for that reason.

Who was "everyone" you are the only person who see it that way.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:55 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
They literally said "Her mind is the center of the universe" thats too big of a plot point to not be explored or explained. As for the Kraang having other plans for harvasting DNA why didn't they do those other plans instead of spending 16 years searching for April. It feels like the turtles are fighting two different alien species one is a race of being who lived on Earth for over a millennia taking their time taking the earth and terraforming the planet and the other are basically the "waste no time destroying humans" type of aliens.
April is just a human/Kraang hybrid who inherited the Kraang telepathic powers. They thought her DNA would stabilize the mutagen or however they wanted to terraform Earth into Dimension X. Yes, I agree there should have been more human/Kraang hybrids out there, but it's something the show never explored. Oh well.

Quote:
Okay you don't know what context is the difference between the two is that April mentioned her Aunt off key meanwhile Casey(and I'm going to put this in bold) said his motavation for fighting crime is the protect his family. If Casey mentioned his family in a more mundane manner I would't had brought it up
Casey literally only mentioned his family once, in the episode he first met Raph and the other Turtles properly, didn't he? I don't understand why you keep trying to make some sort of plotline out of this. Casey wants to protect his family which is why he became a vigilante. There's no "story plot" about Casey's family. I find it bizarre I even have to say this, they don't have to literally show Casey's family if they're not important.

Quote:
Dude, Baxter's character arc ended. Most people don't seem to care he wasn't in Season 5 because there's nothing else to do with his character. The writers didn't involve him in the Kavaxas arc for this reason.

He was de-mutated, Shredder is dead, all of Shredder's henchmen disbanded following the Kavaxas arc. They don't have to literally show him be killed off or go to jail to wrap him up.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:30 AM   #49
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
He's not the only person.

Baxter was turned back to human, he didn't need to appear again.

Last edited by Vicky82; 10-07-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:08 AM   #50
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
He's not the only person.

Baxter was turned back to human, he didn't need to appear again.
Yeah, I can see that to some people were left wondering if he died in the fire or escaped to live out his life but I took that episode to be his closure too. I assumed he just went about his life.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:14 AM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

Here's Baxter's closure:

Following the events of Shredder's demise, Baxter narrowly escaped the burning building with his life. Realizing his life had gone downhill ever since he followed a path of evil, Baxter decided to turn a new leaf and started a tech firm focusing on robotics to help the disabled with lost limbs. Baxter focused on making robotic arms and legs based on Kraang tech to help people with disabilities and became a billionaire. Baxter then realized he had a wonderful life and retired in peace until decades later he was hideously mutated by a mutagen bomb and then died.

The end.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #52
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Yeah, I can see that to some people were left wondering if he died in the fire or escaped to live out his life but I took that episode to be his closure too. I assumed he just went about his life.
Personally, I think he was killed in the fire. It would've been difficult for him to escape in his demutated form, imo.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #53
CyberCubed
Overlord

BTW, why do people not considered Spiderbitez wrapped up? He was never really a villain. As a human he's just a normal old guy, and then he attacks them in his first episode because he was angry he became mutated.

In his second episode in "Metalhead Re-wired" in Season 2 he was running away from the Kraang because they were capturing mutants. Then when the Turtles break into the Kraang facility, he fights alongside them destroying Kraang droids and escapes.

I think the only time we ever see him again after that is in Mondo Gecko's debut episode, standing in the background cheering with the other mutants. Then...that's it. I'm not sure what else needed to be done with him. He's not a villain, he just lives his life as a mutant.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #54
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Because to properly 'wrap him up' he should have been dealt with properly (like death or demutation) instead of just dropped. It just makes the Turtles look irresponsible that the they failed to properly keep tabs on or keep after all of these dangerous mutants they helped 'create.' Even though we don't keep seeing them, it doesn't mean the mutants aren't a danger to people (like what Snakeweed was doing) and there should've been a big clue that just fighting them isn't working, especially if they keep coming back.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #55
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think a lot of people for some reason wrongly assumed every mutant was going to be demutated or something, I have no idea why. This never happens in any other incarnation. Spiderbitez never attacked humans or people in canon...he's not Snakeweed, so I don't think they needed to do anything with him. He should have joined the Mutanimals at some point.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #56
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
I think a lot of people for some reason wrongly assumed every mutant was going to be demutated or something, I have no idea why.
Oh, the irony. Especially because you yourself said that before now.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

I never thought every mutant was going to be de-mutated at all. I assumed it was going to happen with Mutagen Man (but they let him die), and Karai before she regained control of her snake form.

When the show was airing of course we all speculated about a lot of mutants getting de-mutated, people even thought it might happen with Bradford and Xever before the Season 4 finale, but it doesn't mean it had to happen.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #58
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
I never thought every mutant was going to be de-mutated at all. I assumed it was going to happen with Mutagen Man (but they let him die), and Karai before she regained control of her snake form.

When the show was airing of course we all speculated about a lot of mutants getting de-mutated, people even thought it might happen with Bradford and Xever before the Season 4 finale, but it doesn't mean it had to happen.
Maybe I was a bit overzealous earlier, but you did mention something a while back, Cube. If I recall, something akin to the end of Good Genes with the Turtles using a plane or helicopter to cure a portion or almost all of them. I don't recall the exact phrasing, but that was a while ago.

Still need to see this finale for myself before I make judgment on disappointment, but I think going through the arcs I'm missing before it would be better.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

I did speculate that of course, but not as a definite.. Most of the "monster" mutants were either destroyed or done away with, the other mutants are intelligent or allies so it's not like they would be going around killing people.