The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-07-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I can't believe that they actually manage to make this look really, really good.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

Looks fine to me. I definitely was all "How many live-action Jungle Book movies do we need?" but it looks pretty good, honestly.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #23
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Idris Elba is perfect as Shere Khan

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #24
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

I'll admit, I initially wasn't keen on yet another live-action remake from Disney. Regardless of it being of an animated film I actually like or not (though Jungle Book is a favorite of mine admittedly). But upon watching the trailer a couple times through Zootopia, my folks and I agreed it looked decent. Even decided to give the novelization a read. It might be because I have yet to actually see anything that isn't objectionable or isn't giving a "we're pretending to pay tribute to this classic film you know and love but are really going out of our way to spit in it's face cause it really sucked" vibe like Maleficent did.

And seconding on Idris Elba as Shere Khan.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #25
Groverman62
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I definitely was all "How many live-action Jungle Book movies do we need?".
How many do we have?
Groverman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #26
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
same here, it is a fascinating story and I would love to see a big company take a crack at it and bring it to life on the big screen...fat chance with Disney though.

Kaa was a very, very wise snake in the original story and was one of Mowgli's mentors and an ally. If I remember correctly he even hypnotized and ate the monkeys that kidnapped Mowgli in the original story as punishment for their actions. Balloo was also a very wise character and not at all goofy like how he is in the Disney cartoon movie, he teaches Mowgli the laws of the jungle.

I've read the original- actually, MOST of Kipling's stories, including the "Just So" ones- and I don't recall Kaa ever being particularly well-intentioned. Any mentoring and/or saving he did for Mowgli was incidental to his purpose of getting a meal out of the encounter. He's basically a more sinister counterpart to Shere Kahn.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #27
Slade
god status

So, I actually can not stand the Jungle Book....but I think this looks pretty good.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #28
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Kaa- heroic? I don't remember that in the original story. IIRC correctly, he always just wanted to eat Mowgli. Giant python does NOT = "hero". More like slow death.... I'm tempted to see this one, just because it was one of my favorites.
What Walt Disney did to Kaa in the Disney movie was a insult to the Kaa from the book imo.

In the book, Kaa risk his life to save Mowgli from the monkeys, even getting hurt in the process, after that the 2 were pretty much close friends. If Disney made the movie right, it would be a 3 pal movie with Mowgli, the snake, and the black cat lol.

The bear was more as a teacher to Mowgli than a friend.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #29
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
What Walt Disney did to Kaa in the Disney movie was a insult to the Kaa from the book imo.

In the book, Kaa risk his life to save Mowgli from the monkeys, even getting hurt in the process, after that the 2 were pretty much close friends. If Disney made the movie right, it would be a 3 pal movie with Mowgli, the snake, and the black cat lol.

The bear was more as a teacher to Mowgli than a friend.
Kaa was an old curmudgeonly bad@$$ in the book. And a pretty good take on snakes for the time, unlike Rikki-Tikki-Tavi...

I'm going to scream into an abyss in regards to the social commentary on Rikki-Tikki-Tavi now.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #30
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I've read the original- actually, MOST of Kipling's stories, including the "Just So" ones- and I don't recall Kaa ever being particularly well-intentioned. Any mentoring and/or saving he did for Mowgli was incidental to his purpose of getting a meal out of the encounter. He's basically a more sinister counterpart to Shere Kahn.
There was the part were Mowgli and Kaa did go swimming in one of the stories. Near the rocks. Kaa was a friend.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #31
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's 3 new clips.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #32
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Kaa was an old curmudgeonly bad@$$ in the book. And a pretty good take on snakes for the time, unlike Rikki-Tikki-Tavi...

I'm going to scream into an abyss in regards to the social commentary on Rikki-Tikki-Tavi now.
As much as I don't like the 'Reptiles are Abhorrent/Evil' trope in general, I do find Kaa from the Disney one an exception due to him at least being funny and entertaining whenever he's on screen. Far cry from his original incarnation, yes, but it's fine if they can do something with it and not feel it was a change for the sake of change.

Plus, it doesn't hurt when you got Sterling Holloway voicing him.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:05 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's a new clip featuring King Louie voiced by Christopher Walken

Old 03-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #34
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

As a huge Jungle Book fan, Can't wait for both movies

There's gonna be alot of comparisons between the two.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #35
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
As much as I don't like the 'Reptiles are Abhorrent/Evil' trope in general, I do find Kaa from the Disney one an exception due to him at least being funny and entertaining whenever he's on screen. Far cry from his original incarnation, yes, but it's fine if they can do something with it and not feel it was a change for the sake of change.

Plus, it doesn't hurt when you got Sterling Holloway voicing him.
I never did like them turning Kaa from hero to villain in films.
1942's jungle book is perhaps the best version imo. I really loved the ending to that master piece.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 AM   #36
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

I gotta say, after watching some of those clips....I'm really not digging the kid who's playing Mowgli.

It might because child actors can rarely act or give good performances, but I feel the other performances from the A-list actors will get all the praise whereas he'll get stuck with being one of the film's weaker aspects.

I would love to be proven wrong and assume these brief clips are just minor scenes where he's not giving it his all, but need I remind people that this is our protagonist, i.e. the character we're going to spend the most time with. If you get an child actor that can't carry his/her's character's story and struggles convincingly and makes you wish any of the supporting cast show up to make something actually interesting happen, then maybe someone who isn't the kid isn't doing their job well.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

This is the actor's first film role, so of course he's got some breaking in to do. Granted, he's certainly not like the boy from Les Mis and Into the Woods (the only two films to his name that I can think of...and even then, most of his performance is made up of singing). So, I can't fault him for some slips in performance. He's not going to be absolutely perfect the first time. Hopefully this should be a gateway into new roles where he'll be able to improve.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #38
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

True, but just because The Last Airbender was Noah Ringer's first role doesn't make it any less bad to sit through. And he too was playing the protagonist. A protagonist who always looked like he was about to cry regardless if the scene was meant to call for it or not.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #39
The Deadman
Foot Elite

And just like that, it's getting a sequel

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ju...au-1201750384/
Quote:
Disney is developing a sequel to “The Jungle Book,” which opens Friday in the U.S.

The studio is talks with director Jon Favreau and screenwriter Justin Marks to return for “Jungle Book 2.”

The live-action-CG hybrid is expected to dominate the domestic market this weekend. Critics have embraced the movie with some of the best reviews of the year for a studio production.

“The Jungle Book” grossed $28.9 million in a number of Asian and Latin American territories, including $7.6 million from India, the second highest industry opening for an American release. It also grossed $6.2 million in Russia, $2.6 million in Australia.

Besides the U.S. launch on Friday, “The Jungle Book” will also debut this weekend in China, Brazil, France and Mexico.

The movie is based on the Rudyard Kipling stories about Mowgli, a human boy who becomes friends with jungle animals after being raised by wolves. Disney released an animated version in 1967.

Favreau’s film includes Bill Murray voicing Baloo the bear, Ben Kingsley as Begheera the panther, Scarlet Johansson as Kaa the snake and Lupita Nyong’o as Raksha the mother wolf. Newcomer Neel Sethi stars as Mowgli.

The news was first reported by The Hollywood Reporter.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #40
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

It currently has a 100% rating on RT.

Most of the praise seems to be directed towards the CGI imagery being dazzling and immersive as well as the cast being excellent. A couple have noted that it is a good adaption to both Rudyard Kipling's original book and the 1967 film. Which is fine and dandy by me.