The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 11-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #81
cqb101
Cinephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarky
These days, I'm reading "A clockwork orange" by Anthony Burgess. It's all about a quite intelligent young guy called Alex, living in some not-too-distant future, leading a small gang and eventually getting caught. He gets this special treatment that keeps him from doing "evil" things.

The book mainly deals with the question if man should have the choice to be good or evil, or if he must be good. Very interesting, I'd say.
The movie is one of the greatest movies of all time. I still need to read the book.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:06 PM   #82
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

The book is actually a lot better. You get to see Alex from a more personal side, since he's the one narrating and he comments on everything and not just on the bits he does in the movie. You get to understand that Alex is actually way more intelligent than you'd think and there's none of these sexual symbols everywhere, which I often thought very misplaced in the movie.

The only negative thing is the almost excessive use of Nadsat throughout the book. Sure, you'll get to understand it after a couple of chapters, but before that it's a real fight to actually get into the book.
Anarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:22 PM   #83
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I recently finished The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. It was mandatory for English but it was worth it. I liked how the author used lots of figurative language and how she made it semi-autobiographical. The vignettes were intrestin' and especially the ones that told about different charcters, friends, places, and families in Esperanza's (the main character's) point of view. I recommend this book to anyone that is intrested in figurative language and/or semi-autobiographies.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #84
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

"100 bullets".

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 PM   #85
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Bull
"100 bullets".
Is it any good? I saw it in the shop today and wondered whether it was good or not. It looked really odd, but you know... limited resources and everything.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:35 PM   #86
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Well... time will show. I'm not on my knees yet. Quite "Sin City"-esque, but lacks "SC" greatness.

I think it's one of those comics you can read once but you don't actually need to purchase. Several minutes in comic store (before they banish you outta there because of "illegal free reading" P) or a good friend who collects comics and is always willing to lend them (that's how I got "100 bullets" ) should be enough.

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #87
Snowkat
Random Punk

What am I reading now? The Warriors Saga by Erin Hunter I'm on the 4th book, not sure if there are any others after that becasue my library only has up to the 4th, but they're really interesting and fun to read! They're about a orange tabby cat Rusty who joins a clan of wild cats who live in the forest, it's like a Soap Op. drama cat style

Snowkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:42 PM   #88
IceFlash78
Hench Mutant

I started Deathworld, it's pretty decent. Its a collection of three novellas about this person named Jason dinAlt. The first Novella is about his exploits trying to solve the feud between the colonists and the planet Prryus, who due to magnified PSI power, is a death world. Everything, and i mean, EVERYTHING is deadly to the colonists. Even the grass!
IceFlash78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:22 AM   #89
Blondus
Thug

The Shadow over Innsmouth by Howard Pillips Lovecraft... It is.. unsettling... Oh, who am I kidding? Its horrifying. And I love it!

Also reading Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett.

..and Tillykke med dagen by Jens Bjørneboe.

and some TMNT comics.

an then
No, I shall not shoot myself - I cannot be made to shoot myself!

Blondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #90
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

Okay, I have now finished "A clockwork orange" and I must say that the book is a lot better than the movie. The movie is fine, but all those phallic objects seem to be just a cheap way of getting attention, as is the set of the Korova Milkbar. They just seem misplaced and forced. And they're simply there to disgust and not to add. Also, the movie lacks the last scene of the book which is really good, Alex finally growing up and all that.

Amen.
And all that call.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #91
verminator_x
Hench Mutant

1001 films you must see before you die. a movie bible for every film freak.
Shine on you crazy diamond.

verminator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #92
Peanut
Second Gear

The Hunter's Blades Trilogy Book III: The Two Swords
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:10 AM   #93
Barkworm
Super Moderator

William Shakespeare: Much Ado About Nothing
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:14 AM   #94
Jo269976
Stone Warrior

The Rising
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 AM   #95
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

What's "The rising"?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:35 AM   #96
Jo269976
Stone Warrior

It's about a zombie apocalypse, but the zombies can drive, talk and shoot guns and one man must make it from.. i forget but some far place to save his son, it's quite good considering the zombies swear and stuff
Old 11-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #97
Anarky
Outlaw Hero

A couple of nights ago, The master of Cosmos and Mr. lazy Tech-supporter and I were talking about Godzilla and how awesome he is. I mean, what other green monster can breathe radioactive flames and fight robots that just grow for no reason at all (not even its creator knew that the robot was able to do that)? Anyways, we had lots of fun and because I had to find out the English titles of some of the movies, I needed to get my Godzilla Handbook. And because I love that book so much, I'm reading it again.

The book, written by a German fella called Gernot Gricksch and he collected all sorts of info on the monsters and movies. For example, I learned that Gigan is 65 Meters tall, weighs 25,000 tons and is able to shoot deadly rays from his forehead. If that isn't awesome I don't know what is. Also, Gricksch has a very funny way of writing.

Now, I don't know if this book is available in English, but I sure hope so and I recommend the book to any lover of "Big G".

I wish you all a happy Roar!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #98
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I recently picked up The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells at my school library. This book sounds pretty intrestin' and I read like the first five pages of it. I'm really intrugied by Wells' view of Martins and how they would react if they invaded Earth. This is the longer version cuz it has an afterword by Isaac Asimov. That tells how Mars rotates on its axis and has all this mathematical stuff. The cover has white on it as opposed to the black on that's shorter and has less pictures on both covers. I'm pointin' out the differences if anyone has read the book and if they know there's two versions or they don't. I'll hafta scan the cover some time. I recommend this book to anyone that needs to feed they're sci fi addiction or just wants to read about Martians invadin' Earth.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #99
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
Fibromyalgia For Dummies
Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouak
Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #100
Barkworm
Super Moderator

William Shakespeare - Othello, The Moor of Venice
Nikolai Vasilevich Gogol - Diary of a Madman