The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 PM   #21
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeeman85 View Post

I also say that I "taped" something even if it's on DVR
I do that too. It's a hard habit to break.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #22
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Do y'all still call it "consensual sex", even when it's not?
Is it consensual if she isn't real?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 AM   #23
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

When I plan on physically owning a movie and I don't know if it's getting a DVD or Blu-ray release I go old school and say "Home video" as in "I'm waiting for the home video release.". I still call my DVD and Blu-ray collection my "movie collection" even though a majority of it is TV shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeeman85 View Post
I also say that I "taped" something even if it's on DVR.
I think the majority of people do. Even the opening titles of Stephen Colbert's show still say it's "live on tape."

It's just like how we still call the front storage area in our cars the "Glove compartment" even though we don't store gloves in them anymore or how we still say "turn on" or "turn off" even though most electronics don't have a knob to turn anymore. You can't "hang up" a cell phone but people still say that when they end a call. Sometimes words and phrases transcend their original meaning. A list of an actor's previous movies is still called a "Filmography" even though most movies aren't shot on film anymore. Carnival games haven't given cigars as prizes in many decades but you still understand what someone means when they say "Close, but no cigar.".

While I do know of some people that don't like it when a digital recording is called a "tape", I don't think the terminology is as important as the meaning. So long as someone perfectly and immediately understands what someone is saying then it should be fine. If anything I think most of these words and phrases should be protected by a Grandfather clause at this point.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #24
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
When I plan on physically owning a movie and I don't know if it's getting a DVD or Blu-ray release I go old school and say "Home video" as in "I'm waiting for the home video release.". I still call my DVD and Blu-ray collection my "movie collection" even though a majority of it is TV shows.
I say "home video" too, but what movies coming out nowadays aren't getting Blu-ray releases?
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM   #25
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I say "home video" too, but what movies coming out nowadays aren't getting Blu-ray releases?
Maybe movies fresh from the theaters, but there's a lot of older movies that still only have DVD release, some that only have a digital release, and some that still don't have any release.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sometimes it is hard to let go of past words for modern ones. I still call my computer, "a computer" rather than "personal PC" and I still refer to a car as, "an automobile."

Hell my relatives still call the refrigerator an "ice box" like they did in the 50's.

Also does anyone still say, "The World Wide Web" anymore when referring to the internet? You also don't see people say "The 'net" anymore either.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #27
snake
Disgusting

Personal PC?

Personal...Personal Computer?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #28
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

just like pin number
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote