The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudo View Post
Mutants are one of my least favorite things about the OT... Most of the time you have to keep reminding yourself they are mutants, because if they had just been normal humans the story would have been pretty much the same.
I know that in a world where you can just wear a coat and everyone will believe you're human, being a mutant isn't as tragic as it should be, but come on. Rocksteady and Bepop feature in almost every episode, they could have shown us a glimpse of them having problems "finding a date on a Saturday night".

The Nick show has the same problem to an extent, but at least the newly mutated humans use their new powers to attack the turtles in blind rage. That could count as some sort of emotional response, I suppose.

In the 4kids show, when a character mutates, that's a very important element for that character's personal story and development.
Quarry, Leatherhead, Finn, the Dark Turtles and Hun all felt real characters to me, dealing with their mutation in a very believable way.
The Dark Turtles were more like... evil alien clones... it's not like they were ever actual pet Turtles....

Rocksteady and Bebop are actually happy being mutants. Groundchuck and Dirtbag had a moment of confusion as to what to do now that they can walk and talk. Slash's entire episode was about how he 'had a bad day' and had so much thrown at him the same day he was mutated. Even though Baxter was a different case, he spent most of the time getting revenge for being turned into a fly. He was probably the one with the most 'I'm a monster!!!' mindset you're reffering to.

Although, Muckman and Mutagen Man weren't so happy with what happened to them at first either. Mutagen Man's episode was mostly about him wanting to be back to normal. He didn't want to do evil things, but he did what he had to do to become human again.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

Although, Muckman and Mutagen Man weren't so happy with what happened to them at first either. Mutagen Man's episode was mostly about him wanting to be back to normal. He didn't want to do evil things, but he did what he had to do to become human again.
Don't forget Donatello told Muckman/Joeeyeball that he could work on turning them back to normal, which I assume he did off-screen. And Mutagen Man was able to turn his appearance back to a human anyway.

And why would animals hate being mutants? They go from being mindless animals to being intelligent.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #23
Shredded
Foot Soldier

I didn't grow up so much with TOS, only very vaguely rememeber watching a very few episodes in re-run, and they were compleately overshadowed by the power that is Batman tas, so I have no nostalgia towards them.

From what I can see, they seem pretty decent, especially for its time were they fun.
But the show itself is kind of out-dated, so.. the monsters kind of are as well.

for 4kids.. geesh. The mutants weren't the memorable part at all, the ninjas, time travelers and reacurring villains were.
The out-break story-line was kind of neat, but that is more due to the effect it had on Donnie than every-thing else.
If you ask me, taking the most logical clever turtle, and turn that one into a mindless beast, was a stroke of genius.
Also posses an interesting question. "What do we do without our sciense dude!?"

in the Nick show, I do so adore that the humans mutated to monsters are people first and mutants later.
Both Bradford and Xever has a strong personality, and while Bradfords mutant design may isn't hat unqiue.. Xevers certainly is!

Yeah, Snakeweed doesn't have the biggest personality, I guess that was sort of the idea, he is just one of those monsters you can use when you need it. One of the "Stock." monsters, as well is Spiderbite and cockroach.

How-ever, what I do find sort of interesting about Snakeweed and Spiderbytes regardless is that we, the viewers, knows that they are people! we saw them being people. I do think it ads an interesting dimension, and I hope that the show has the guts to explore that one day.
It would be so easy to explore, you almost doesn't need any-thing more than having one of them mention his own origin.

The pure designs on them well.. i think the designs on Fish-face, Snakeweed and Cockroach is bloody awesome!
It's unique and vibrant, and kind of scary.

Dogpound falls a bit into the middle, we have seen monsters like him before, but he is still awesome, and I like that he is huge as a truck in fight, kind of adds a little Hun flair over him, in the way he just overshadows all of the turtles when he stands there.

Spiderbytes is.. erh.. well he certainly is unique in design, but yeah.. yeah it was an odd design choice.

And well, lets not forget Leatherhead, he is freaking awesome in this show, I love how huge he is, and I do admire the animators could manage to make him look that big and scary and that friendly and innocent on the same time.

Pigeon pete is.... interesting.

Last edited by Shredded; 03-18-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Shredded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #24
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Honestly, The old toon isn't what got me hooked on the TMNT. It was the Mirage comics. So no, their sillyness didn't always go over so well with me. and Slash was about fifty tons cooler in the Archie comics series than in the old toon. Even so, I did like the pilot episode allot. I just wish it hadn't been dumbed down so much.

So far, as far as mutants go, it's a toss up for me. Fox had done realy well, and Nick has surprised me. I do think some of the Nick mutants should be a little more threatening, But so far so good.

But again, for me, the comics are aces.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #25
Loudo
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What are you talking about? Most humans ran away in fear when they saw mutants in the old show.
I think the correct sentence should be "In some episodes humans ran away in fear when they saw mutants in the old show."
It's full of episodes where the turtles don't even bother to disguise themselves. Anyway, beyond the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The Dark Turtles were more like... evil alien clones... it's not like they were ever actual pet Turtles....
If you're a clone of a mutant, you're by definition a mutant. XD

Quote:
Slash's entire episode was about how he 'had a bad day' and had so much thrown at him the same day he was mutated. Even though Baxter was a different case, he spent most of the time getting revenge for being turned into a fly. He was probably the one with the most 'I'm a monster!!!' mindset you're reffering to.
Slash could have been an alien with temper problems, and nothing would have changed. Wait, he is in Archie comics! XD
Baxter is a fine example of the mutant thing done well. But not just because of the "I'm a monster" mindset.
He's a good mutant because everything changes for him after his mutation. He wanted to be a respected scientist and now his dream is crashed because he's become an hideous monster. You remove the mutation and you get a very different character (we've seen non-mutated Baxter and how different he is).

Another example of a bad mutant from the OT? Splinter.
Sure, he wants to be human again (for the first 10 or so episodes), but what would have changed had he been a human for the whole series? He was an outcast living in the sewers even when he was less hairy.
And it's not like we ever see him longing for human friends, or acceptance.
Loudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #26
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Baxter Stockman could have been human again, but I think the writers always wanted a cahcne for him to return again, as a fly-guy.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #27
Slade
god status

Yeah definently. Though I'm one who thinks the Justin mutant is stupid....
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #28
miru
Mad Scientist

So far, I like the toy-only mutants for the Nick show (just Newtralizer, the "wasp" might be cool.too) It's not like they deconfirmed Karai yet!
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudo View Post
It's full of episodes where the turtles don't even bother to disguise themselves. Anyway, beyond the point.
Most of the time they were in disguises, and when they weren't they were running through the crowds to catch up to Shredder or whomever. And when the public saw them they either felt threatened by them or were afraid of them.

Also keep in mind all of NYC was aware of the Turtles existence at the end of Season 1. Plenty of pedestrians call them out in the rest of the show.

Quote:
Slash could have been an alien with temper problems, and nothing would have changed. Wait, he is in Archie comics! XD
Baxter is a fine example of the mutant thing done well. But not just because of the "I'm a monster" mindset.
He's a good mutant because everything changes for him after his mutation. He wanted to be a respected scientist and now his dream is crashed because he's become an hideous monster. You remove the mutation and you get a very different character (we've seen non-mutated Baxter and how different he is).
Uh, why would animal mutants who weren't humans prior feel like freaks? They simply became more intelligent. Leatherhead, the Frogs, Slash, Groundchuck/Dirtbag were just normal animals...so they should feel "gifted" that they were allowed to become intelligent. Even Dirtbag said something like, "Why can I speak? What is my purpose in life?"

Baxter considered himself a freak, and Bebop/Rocksteady were just humourous.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #30
Xav
Foot Elite

Didn't the "Uncanny Trio" from the Archie comics' want to get revenge on humans for turning them into intelligent mutants?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most of the time they were in disguises, and when they weren't they were running through the crowds to catch up to Shredder or whomever. And when the public saw them they either felt threatened by them or were afraid of them.

Also keep in mind all of NYC was aware of the Turtles existence at the end of Season 1. Plenty of pedestrians call them out in the rest of the show.
The Turtles were also known heroes by seasons 3 and 4. I do believe by season 4 the average human in NYC would have to have been living under a rock to not know who the Turtles are. People would see them and be like 'you're one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!'. They weren't 'stick to the shadows/world doesn't know we exist' in the OT and were more like traditional superheroes after a while.

People would always run from the evil mutants however. Of course, they would attack everything in sight and would never bother to disguise themselves.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's my problem with the Nick mutants, they may look cool, but their personalities either don't exist or are dull. It seems like Nick wants all their mutants to either be strong or creepy looking, but they don't make them endearing.

Bebop and Rocksteady looked good because they were well designed, but they were also sympathetic characters in the OT. Baxter, Leatherhead, Groundchuck and Dirtbag, Slash, etc. all have nice appearances.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #33
grungethemovie
Foot Soldier

exactly
but maybe it's cause the nick series is still too short and too full of stuff
maybe given more time the characters will develop better
cause we know for a fact how the turtles, splinter, april (and bradford & xever) are really well-rounded characters
grungethemovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #34
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well and truly biased because I'm writing a string of fanfics based on the old cartoon show, but yeah I prefer them. I'm just more comfortable with their world and corny sense of humor.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #35
ryukenden
Hench Mutant

Looking back, no mutant even the ones in Mirage ever had the charm of Rocksteady and Bebop. I do however prefer Leatherhead being a good guy rather than the ragin' cajun he was in the OT.
ryukenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Didn't the "Uncanny Trio" from the Archie comics' want to get revenge on humans for turning them into intelligent mutants?
You mean the one when they go to Innsmouth, Massachussetts?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #37
miru
Mad Scientist

Well, the new epsiode had more mindless monster mutants.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #38
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

No. I do not.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
magidkaiser
Foot Soldier

I prefer the originals
Old 07-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Didn't care much for the 4kids mutants, but I think the Nick ones are pretty cool.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed thinks deep, fred wolf series