The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #1181
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I've been laid up for a few weeks, I've barely paid attention to anything.

As for Hawkman, my guess is they don't know.
I read three to four DC titles. Justice League is among them. Shiera Hall sent her husband after Kendra Saunders and introduced him as SAVAGE Hawkman which was the New 52 title by Tony Daniel. I see this article about Hawkman suggesting the one in the current title is a different one and confirms your point that DC does not know how to uncomplicate Hawkman. Why not just be a cop from Thanagar?
https://www.newsarama.com/43463-behi...f-the-dcu.html
Old 01-14-2019, 06:01 PM   #1182
Leo656
The Franchise

They haven't had a clue since 1993 with Hawkman. Like the Legion, that's a ship that just can't sail, because the water's way too muddy at this point.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #1183
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
They haven't had a clue since 1993 with Hawkman. Like the Legion, that's a ship that just can't sail, because the water's way too muddy at this point.
Aside from Paul Levitz who else wrote a stellar Legion of Superheroes book?

Both along with Supergirl are classic cases of " If it a'int broke don't fix it!".
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #1184
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno, to be fair I never followed the Legion much, because even by 1993 their whole history was a mess of retcons, reboots, and "rebootcons". Time travel gives me a headache, and to top it off in 2005 they brought back the Multiverse, so the whole deal is even more tangled up. I can't get my head around it.

I do have the "Legion of 3 Worlds" mini, which was... not TOO painful to get through as a non-fan. But it definitely reinforced my belief that me and the Legion don't need to get too close to each other.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #1185
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'm not happy with Sheira's heel turn at all, although it has been amusing seeing some JLU fans also get ticked off that Sheria and John Stewart have interacted a bit in the current storyline and there's been no easter eggs aimed at their relationship from the cartoon (granted they were never a thing in the comics, but still...)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #1186
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Wow. Bendis really bottled it with issue seven of Superman. Lois feels she's in way over her head in space? The same Lois who trained and fought with the Furies on Apokalypse to save her family ? She turns back and heads for Earth, leaving Jon to be creeped out as soon as she goes by an instinct he has about his granddad's insanity?

What kind of woman is Bendis writing here?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #1187
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Alright, so Jon Kent is now officially a part of DC animation, he cameoed with Lois in Young Justice: Outsiders!
Old 01-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #1188
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So apparently DC have allowed an all-ages Wal-Mart comic book to promote a story in which Superman imagines Lois being killed repeatedly for over six pages
Old 01-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #1190
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So apparently DC have allowed an all-ages Wal-Mart comic book to promote a story in which Superman imagines Lois being killed repeatedly for over six pages
https://www.supermanhomepage.com/wal...an-comic-book/

I don't know, man. First of all, good on the parents who bother to preview their kids' entertainment before dropping it into their lap. That's called "parenting", whether they find the material appropriate for their kids or not. More parents should be doing that.

At the same time, to those "horrified" by the material... (deep breath) Comics are NOT "just for kids", not even Superman comics.

I've been reading comics, and especially Superman comics, for almost four decades. I've read stories that were aimed at pre-schoolers and ones aimed at adults, ones that were cotton candy and ones that were full of gore, ones full of vampires and demons and even Hell, and ones that were just a cartoonish romp. That's the magic of comics, you can get a little bit of everything. One of the first comics I ever read, point of fact, was Action Comics Annual #1, "Cry, Vampire!", about Superman and Batman teaming up to fight vampires. It's dark, moody, and violent, not to mention absolutely terrific. Maybe not suitable for EVERY four-year old, but my father, apparently, found it appropriate enough for me, and it was a bedtime fixture for a good long while. But see, he took the step of looking at it first, which is good. He knew me pretty well, and based on that, decided that such violent material wasn't gonna hurt me, and he was right. Other, more "sensitive" kids, maybe shouldn't be exposed. That's fine, that's why parents should be more proactive in their kids' entertainment, rather than hide behind "I thought comics were for kids!" when they see something they deem "inappropriate". Number one, it may indeed be inappropriate for your child, and good for you for catching the ball, but Number two, don't you dare presume to tell other people how they're allowed to entertain themselves.

As for the subject matter at hand, everyone knows that Lois dying is Superman's greatest fear. This isn't even the first time it's been explored; I can think of dozens of stories, anything from him having nightmares, to him being brainwashed, to that stunt Manchester Black pulled to the events of "Sacrifice" before "Infinite Crisis" started, where he either imagined or was forced to watch what he thought was Lois dying violently. This is old news. Don't like it? Turn the page. There are tons of "dark" Superman stories, a lot of them are very good, and many of them are about his fears and his failures. People act like the comics are still the way they were in the 1950s. One 12-page story out of a 100-page book seems like a lot to get bent out of shape about.

And don't sell me on, "It was at Wal-Mart, it should have been for kids!" I go to Wal-Mart all the time, if you go less than a foot over from the comics rack, you can just as easily pick up and skim through "50 Shades of Gray", which is decidedly not for kids. You can buy all the films on Blu-ray there, too. Wal-Mart may be "for families", but just because it's sold under their roof doesn't mean it's suitable for all ages.

Once more, the people truly upset are simply out of touch. But good on those parents taking the time to look over their young children's entertainment before handing it over to them. We need more of that everywhere.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 PM   #1192
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Details on the restructuring. Nothing really all too earth-shattering, a three percent lay off and everyone in publishing and editorial keeps their job.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...kforce-1178694
Old 02-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #1193
ZariusTwo
Overlord

DC's VP Executive Editor and MAD Magazine editor Bill Morrison is out

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02...-mad-magazine/
Old 02-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #1194
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
https://www.supermanhomepage.com/wal...an-comic-book/

I don't know, man. First of all, good on the parents who bother to preview their kids' entertainment before dropping it into their lap. That's called "parenting", whether they find the material appropriate for their kids or not. More parents should be doing that.

At the same time, to those "horrified" by the material... (deep breath) Comics are NOT "just for kids", not even Superman comics.

I've been reading comics, and especially Superman comics, for almost four decades. I've read stories that were aimed at pre-schoolers and ones aimed at adults, ones that were cotton candy and ones that were full of gore, ones full of vampires and demons and even Hell, and ones that were just a cartoonish romp. That's the magic of comics, you can get a little bit of everything. One of the first comics I ever read, point of fact, was Action Comics Annual #1, "Cry, Vampire!", about Superman and Batman teaming up to fight vampires. It's dark, moody, and violent, not to mention absolutely terrific. Maybe not suitable for EVERY four-year old, but my father, apparently, found it appropriate enough for me, and it was a bedtime fixture for a good long while. But see, he took the step of looking at it first, which is good. He knew me pretty well, and based on that, decided that such violent material wasn't gonna hurt me, and he was right. Other, more "sensitive" kids, maybe shouldn't be exposed. That's fine, that's why parents should be more proactive in their kids' entertainment, rather than hide behind "I thought comics were for kids!" when they see something they deem "inappropriate". Number one, it may indeed be inappropriate for your child, and good for you for catching the ball, but Number two, don't you dare presume to tell other people how they're allowed to entertain themselves.

As for the subject matter at hand, everyone knows that Lois dying is Superman's greatest fear. This isn't even the first time it's been explored; I can think of dozens of stories, anything from him having nightmares, to him being brainwashed, to that stunt Manchester Black pulled to the events of "Sacrifice" before "Infinite Crisis" started, where he either imagined or was forced to watch what he thought was Lois dying violently. This is old news. Don't like it? Turn the page. There are tons of "dark" Superman stories, a lot of them are very good, and many of them are about his fears and his failures. People act like the comics are still the way they were in the 1950s. One 12-page story out of a 100-page book seems like a lot to get bent out of shape about.

And don't sell me on, "It was at Wal-Mart, it should have been for kids!" I go to Wal-Mart all the time, if you go less than a foot over from the comics rack, you can just as easily pick up and skim through "50 Shades of Gray", which is decidedly not for kids. You can buy all the films on Blu-ray there, too. Wal-Mart may be "for families", but just because it's sold under their roof doesn't mean it's suitable for all ages.

Once more, the people truly upset are simply out of touch. But good on those parents taking the time to look over their young children's entertainment before handing it over to them. We need more of that everywhere.
That reminds me of when I saw the animated suicide squad movie that has a Harley Quinn sex scene mind you, lumped alongside other kiddy cartoon movies.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #1195
ZariusTwo
Overlord

DC's 2019/2020 direction is set: YEAR OF THE VILLAIN will kick off a twelve-month initiative for the company and will launch with a 25 cent issue ahead of Free Comic Book Day

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-issue-1186135
Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #1197
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
DC's Christ Comedy "The Second Coming" has been cancelled.

https://www.newsarama.com/43906-dc-s...-canceled.html
Hardly surprising, really.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #1198
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The big news on the recently announced 10-15% cutbacks at DC is that the Wal-Mart exclusive line is being cancelled, instead the 100 page giants will soon be available everywhere and will have 45 pages worth of new material added to them.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #1199
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

So the Wal-Mart exclusive was a failure,huh?

All of these crisis events at the same time are a bit much. The Watchmen crossover, Heroes In Crisis murder mystery, and now DC's Zombies? One after the other was a bit much, but they don't even wait until one is finished publication yet now.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #1200
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
The big news on the recently announced 10-15% cutbacks at DC is that the Wal-Mart exclusive line is being cancelled, instead the 100 page giants will soon be available everywhere and will have 45 pages worth of new material added to them.
This was the one everybody got their panties in a wad over, right? Where Superman had terrible visions of Lois Lane getting killed over and over?

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman