The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > Questions/Comments/Suggestions

Notices

Old 07-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Pepzi
Hench Mutant

Suggestions for making the forums a better place

I have been a member of this site for over 4 years and a fan of it’s dedication to Ninja Turtles for longer. In my recent return to the forum I have read a lot about this forum falling apart. So I decided to create a topic to discuss why is this happening and what can we do to strengthen ties within the Ninja Turtle community, so we don’t see any more members walk off.
I hope this topic receives constructive feedback with out negativity or immaturity.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
SassyGal
Mad Scientist

I think the people who are unhappy with the forums are unhappy because they can't find a thread that grabs their attention or is something they want to discuss. There are plenty of times that I log in, look around, and find nothing that I can contribute to. It hasn't bothered me because the next time I do log in, there's something for me to post about and enjoy, but not everyone finds something. Krang has already mentioned this in a previous posts (see, I was listening Krang ) if nothing grabs your attention, bump up an older thread or start a new one.

I think the Drome is an awesome forum and will weather this storm. In the meantime, it sucks to see people leaving, so I hope this thread can give people a place to bounce ideas off each other to make the Drome even more fun!
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
jenna
Mad Scientist

I agree with you, Sassy. It's true that it does seem to be a bit rocky at times, and there have been some really bizarre threads springing up recently. Personally I am not a fan of the idea of interspecial turtles-human relationships etc, but I just ignore those threads because there are always going to be people who like the idea - and that's OK. I choose not to get involved because they are entitled to their views.

All that said, I have been aware of a lot of b*tching on the forums lately. I'm a relatively new member and don't know whether this has always been the way, but there is a lot of insulting comments flying around because some people have different views. I don't know if it's because of the influx of new members, but if anyone has been a victim of this I can understand them wanting to leave.

It is a shame to see people leaving, but I agree with Sassy that I think this place is totally awesome and I love reading the stuff here and seeing what everyone has to say. I've learned a lot about TMNT, especially from the comic perspective, which I had very little experience of before joining here.

So, thanks, dromers.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Peanut and Ai leaving hardly marks the forums falling apart. Just means less fights in the General discussion.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
InsaneJediGirl
Random Punk

Even though I havent posted in awhile, I think the forums are great. Much better than the ones I normally frequent
Old 07-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
Peanut and Ai leaving hardly marks the forums falling apart.
I beg to differ.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I'd say the site is just fine. And when people leave they're just people it doesn't matter if they are a or happend to be a mod or some point or not it doesnt really matter it's just a person leaving a message board.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Scandia
Mad Scientist

I have only been here since May. I have not had any problems. I do NOT want to see the Turtles pairing up with any humans- but so far this has only been mentioned very little.

Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
I beg to differ.
Same here. Spit, have you seen Duke's thread? Peanut and Ai opened up the floodgates, man. Now people that have been thinkin' about it will more than likely start leaving now.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Shredder
Admin/Layton Apprentice

I'm disappointed to hear that people are wanting to leave, too. Is there anything that us admins or mods can do, though, to help? What can we do to help smooth things out?

"Well, actually, I always wanted to be a writer. Being a ruthless conqueror was my second choice." --Shredder, Take Me to Your Leader
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I think it's great to talk about things that need to be changed. I think it is even better if you think things need to change to do something (ie create new threads) I do that myself every once in awhile if I get bored here.

What I don't like is all the personal slams in these good by threads. If you feel you need to go, then that's ok. If you need to say why...that's ok... but don't take that opportunity to spit venom at everyone as you go.

To me this is like politics. If you aren't willing to be part of the solution by casting your vote (creating new topics) then you have no good reason to complain. If you creat new topic and give it a good try, then by all means...complain away.

That's my 2 cents.
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #12
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Same here. Spit, have you seen Duke's thread? Peanut and Ai opened up the floodgates, man. Now people that have been thinkin' about it will more than likely start leaving now.
Well sure if the shepherd leaves so will the sheep but I would think that would only be common sence.
But yeah why don't people just do what they want I'm not going to leave because some one else does.
I'm going to leave because I wanted to which isn't ever going to happen reguardless of some off the dissagreements we all get into from time to time I love tmnt and this is the best site in my opinion anyways to talk about it.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
Ava Collier
It's ninja ninja RAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
If they were already thinking about leaving, then what's the point in placing blame? Each one of us has power over what we do and do not see here. There are these groovy little funcions like ignore...or you can just do it the old fashioned way. Go figure.

In other news, I'm feeling somewhat responsible for two of these departures. Someone congratulated me for that...heh. My personal opinions on these people have nothing to do with it, I certainly don't want to bring the forums down. Shredder, I don't think there's anything you and Krang can do. There will be closed minded people, immaturity, and assholes no matter where we go in life. Rest assured this forum has a LOT less of all that jazz than most places. So, it's back to the shadows for me. I'm certainly not leaving. I'll keep up with what I feel I have to do here, and I'll keep my opinions, and my humour to myself to avoid offending anyone. I personally don't see the extremes that have been complained about very often at all. I don't see roleplay and bondage invading the forum, and infecting it like some twisted disease. People express their fandom in different ways. There are many different ways of thinking. This is what makes us individuals, and what makes us disagree. Oh and by the way...I'll fantasize about whatever the hell I want to. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I wouldn't worry too much. It seems like an exodus of one particular forum demographic. It's too bad. we really do need them despite some of the bad feelings lately.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
SassyGal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Collier View Post
I'm certainly not leaving.
YAY!

Quote:
I'll keep my opinions, and my humour to myself to avoid offending anyone.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love your sense of humour!!!!

The personal attacks between members I can do without. It makes me cringe and depressed when the beginnings of a flame war appear since we all love TMNT in one way or another.

It really sucks that a lot of the bad feelings between some members lead to people thinking they have to leave. Especially about opinions. Opinions are what make us different.

Last edited by SassyGal; 07-08-2007 at 06:16 PM.
SassyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #16
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Did I miss something...what's going on. Man, you don't frequent a froum for about a month and people claim the sky is falling...no offence Pep-Z. We've had exits before, and we're still here. We'll just get more yahoos to fill the empty slots.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #17
Dinny
Stone Warrior

I honestly don't see a point in leaving outright and announcing it creating some big fuss and apparently panic. In my opinion if you don't like it then you should just come on less frequently. Only Ai needed to announce his departure as he was a mod so he couldn't just stop checking the forums.

The drome's "decline" is a natural consequence of the popularity of the show and movie. This is a TMNT forums, and as the TMNT are once again popular, the forums are acquiring younger members everyday. When I first joined the average age was almost certainly much older simple because anyone who was a fan of the TMNT at that time was a fan of the old show, movies or comics. I agree with Duke when he says that role playing has increased recently, and it presumably has much to do with the younger members. While I do feel that there are far too many asterisks in some peoples' posts, it's no reason to leave and start the commotion that has started as a result of THREE members leaving. There are over a thousand others. Get over it and move on.
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I think there's just been alot of particularly nasty darts thrown this time.

I have utter loyalty to one member here...if there is a flame war, he knows I am on his side. But I hope this is not the kindling embers of that. There's no need to be nasty. This is a happy place. This is where I come to escape the bad all around me. It makes me sad to see things heating up in here too.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I find it ironic that a giant battle station made to take over the world is viewed as a happy place....sorry...just "jesting."

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #20
Dinny
Stone Warrior

Just to clarify my point, Krang put it perfectly in Duke's thread:
Quote:
I never understood the concept of "leaving the forums" in the first place. When a forum is free to join (like this one), there is no obligation to have a set number of posts, and there is no contract to sign. If people are upset with a forum, why must they make a big deal out of "leaving" when they could simply step away from the forum for a few days, weeks, or even months, leaving the option open to return later? Why must a huge, melodramatic, and permanent departure be involved?
Dinny is offline   Reply With Quote