The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #21
mrmaczaps
Banned

The old movies are just that, OLD. The tech doesn't hold up and the graphics are bad... but watch it as if all that stuff really is high tech and even futureistic.... I bought the box set dvd collection a long time back... Just imagine sitting through all 6 or 8 movies.... lol
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #22
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yeah I plan to do just that. I feel this is a great series so I need to immerse into the old movies too.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
The old movies are just that, OLD. The tech doesn't hold up and the graphics are bad... but watch it as if all that stuff really is high tech and even futureistic.... I bought the box set dvd collection a long time back... Just imagine sitting through all 6 or 8 movies.... lol
It's 5. 5 movies.

They actually really hold together fairly well, apart from #3 and #4.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #24
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's 5. 5 movies.

They actually really hold together fairly well, apart from #3 and #4.
Is it really just five? The box seemed to be a whole lot bigger than five dvds... lol

The first 2 were okay... the last one set in present day with the Apes coming to the past was interesting even if it didn't do well to explain the story coherently...

Its been a while since I saw any of the sequels tho so maybe I'm remembering wrong...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #25
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm so glad these reboots are good, I'll need to watch them though I guess they'll make a fourth one so maybe I should wait until the whole reboot series is finished. I'm just glad a reboot was able to live up to the name of the original and do things better, all reboots should be able to do this if you think about it, they already know what worked and didn't.

But yeah the original films are worth a watch, look beyond the special effects which for the time were fine, I'm sure the effects in the reboot will age worse since CG doesn't particularly age nicely. Not all movies are great but there's some good stuff there, also the original is an all time classic.

The remake I only saw in theaters back in the day, I remember it being fine though it didn't leave me with the feeling that watching the originals did.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
The first 2 were okay... the last one set in present day with the Apes coming to the past was interesting even if it didn't do well to explain the story coherently...
Yeah, it didn't explain anything. I appreciate the loop they created with Cornelius and Zira's baby is what created the sentient apes... but it doesn't really hold water. All of the cats and dogs die off from some mysterious disease, so apes become the new go-to pet? That wouldn't happen. And while it makes sense that Cornelius and Zira's baby would be sentient, zero explanation is offered as to how all of the other apes suddenly start being able to talk.

"Conquest of the Planet of the Apes" (basically, the film that "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" remade) is pretty lame.

1 and 2 are pretty cool, though. And ballsy. It's pretty rare to see movie #2 of a series completely destroy the planet.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #27
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
War for the Planet of the Apes was everything i hoped it'd be.
excellent movie!

really want to (and need to) see it in the theatre again.
i'll never understand why people pay to see a movie, then sit and check their phones during the whole movie.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 AM   #28
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
War for the Planet of the Apes was everything i hoped it'd be.
excellent movie!

really want to (and need to) see it in the theatre again.
i'll never understand why people pay to see a movie, then sit and check their phones during the whole movie.
Omigosh a bitch next to me kept checking her phone too!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Maybe the wrong thread but I re-watched the Burton remake and it's a good movie, just not as good as the originals. I'm surprised by how good the effects are, I think they might be better than the reboots from the footage that I've seen.

I would need to re-watch the original films again but I don't think there's anything that would prevent it from it taking place in the original continuity.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #30
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Maybe the wrong thread but I re-watched the Burton remake and it's a good movie, just not as good as the originals. I'm surprised by how good the effects are, I think they might be better than the reboots from the footage that I've seen.

I would need to re-watch the original films again but I don't think there's anything that would prevent it from it taking place in the original continuity.
I liked the Tim Burton version, that had some incredible MakeUp FX for the Apes, the designs were more in line with the original films.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thought the third movie was one of the best actually. Seeing Cornelius and his wife in the present day was fun as hell. The whole movie felt like a great comedy and then got surprisingly dark by the end since they're all killed off.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Apes 1: Wow!
Apes 2: just a rehash, at least the ending was cool.
Apes 3: wtf did this franchise become, oh wait sh-t got dark.
Apes 4: A bit of a let down but we got to see the war! Bonus point, it wasn't a prequel
Apes 5: yeah...umm no.
Apes Remake: Decent sidestory.

I really need to check out the reboot.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #33
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

In the past decades, the third films in a franchise are usually considered a disappointment or just simply the worst. This film, however, was epic. Andy Serkis really is the heart and soul of the series.

Spoiler:
What Caeser went through in the film reminds me of what happened with Wolverine in Logan this year. He lost what he considered to be the most important members of his family. After his enemies were defeated,
the individuals he was leading were free and had a chance in the future.
However, he lost his life at the very end when this happened. If we do get another film, it will be hard to imagine it without him, but that's how things work in movies.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Apes 2: just a rehash, at least the ending was cool.
Apes 3: wtf did this franchise become, oh wait sh-t got dark.
Apes 4: A bit of a let down but we got to see the war! Bonus point, it wasn't a prequel
Apes 5: yeah...umm no.
Apes Remake: Decent sidestory.

I really need to check out the reboot.
Apes 2: Even wowier! It's a bit of a mystery/retread until things get deeper into the mutant humans... and what an ending. Super shocking.
Apes 3: Enjoyable, and man... weird and different.
Apes 4: LAME! But it has its moments.
Apes 5: I wish they'd had a little more budget to make those battles pop, but it's a suitable direct lead-in to the first Apes movie.

Burton Apes: Not good, not bad, just is. Seems... unnecessary?

New Apes 1: Awesome!
New Apes 2: Just as awesome, but in a different post-apocalyptic way.
New Apes 3: Have not seen yet.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 AM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Saw this today, it was very good. It's nice how convincing the main villain was, he wasn't a total psychopath and you could understand why he was doing what he was doing. It's amazing these movies make you care for the plight of apes as if they really exist when they don't. Of course all the parallel's to real life slavery throughout the years probably helps.

Lastly the way they came up with the idea that the disease is what stops humans from having the ability to speak and lose their intelligence like in the original movies was clever. It never made sense otherwise why humans would lose the ability to talk or think in the original films, it was just accepted. Now we have some logic behind it.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:17 AM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The original Apes movies implied the Apes surgically made their humans untalkable.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Really? They all didn't have those scars like the one that astronaut had on his scalp after they lobotomized him or whatever they did to him.

I just assumed after thousands of years humans just lost the ability to talk because they were kept as slaves or in the fields and weren't allowed to teach their children anything.

Tags
planet of the cucks