The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Wow, TMNT Adventures offended a lot of Christians

I was reviewing TMNT Adventures #33 today and as I was flipping through the letters column I noticed a letter that left me dumbstruck.

Someone found Murphy's depiction of the Japanese mythological creation of the sun and the moon offensive because it contradicted the Christian bible.

I started thumbing through the letters pages of previous issues I'd reviewed and found two more letters from people who were offended by depictions of other religious practices by the TMNT that were not of Christian origin.

Though I haven't gone through issues that I haven't reviewed yet, I'm sure Murphy received even more complaints (and who knows how many he never printed?).

I transcribed the letters from the offended Christians in my review, if you want to read them for yourself.

Normally, I just flip through the letters column and only read the replies to see if there's any good apocryphal info in there (plot devices that never saw implementation, like Rocksteady's pet parrot being a "Turnstone locating device"). Because of this, I miss the letters without replies and some of them are just... wow.

I give Murphy a lot of crap in my reviews for his overbearing environmental messages, but I have to give him some props for trying to expand the young audience's knowledge of other cultures and religions even in the face of such ignorance and bigotry.

To think that the mere depiction of meditation or so little as the word "zen" was enough to offend some people who cannot comprehend or appreciate their favorite fictional characters as being anything other than of their own creed... It's very disappointing.

Good on Murphy for challenging those sorts of people. His replies to their letters were always very classy, tactful and intelligent, too; never sinking to their level despite their inflamatory attacks.

I don't always agree with the guy and I don't always enjoy his writing...

But I will always respect him.

UPDATE:

I found some more letters and correlated them along with the info Jester found in those books into an article on the subject at TMNT Entity:

Christianity Vs. The Ninja Turtles

(incidentally, I migrated all the letter column quotes from the #33 review to the above article)

Last edited by DrSpengler; 06-14-2011 at 08:28 AM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I remember Ryan Brown posted letters about this on his blog, I think it's still up and on the first page too.

Complaining about religion in comic books is ridiculous. I rather liked these Archie themes of religious tolerance far more than the "save the environment" messages too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
PizzaPower
Foot Elite

thats funny actually, the TMNT are from japanese (sorry for spelling) decent in a way.
PizzaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Would make sense that Splinter taught the Turtles other beliefs more native to Japan then Christianity
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Krys
Thug

Someone actually called it "satanic".....so narrow-minded
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

In my time designing children's video games; I learned that the right is offended by everything when it comes to their children.

Perfect example:
In an old "That's So Raven" game that I worked on for the GBA, there is a little fortune teller mini-game that gives the user one of a few pre-fabricated fortunes. The game was dressed with a whimsical gypsy theme...

Within days of launch, we were getting calls from parents accusing us of "Teaching their children about the occult".

So yeah. No surprise that Murphy's comics pissed off some nutters.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
gobo
Wacky Action

What's a "christian"?

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

lol, it's so true. Every week I was surprised to see how many Christians (with vague dispensationalist interpretations of Revelation) thought Murphy was trying to make every comic about the Antichrist or brainwash all kids into practicing some kinda transcendental meditation. I may have not even been a teenager, but I thought those complaints were stupid even back then.

I guess one thing never changes about Mirage creative talents: their ability to offend people of all ages through their letter columns. To be fair, though, I remember the responses in Archie being far more courteous than some of the retorts we saw in TMNT Volume 4 and, to a lesser extent, Tales volume 2.

And, yes, it was a fairly challenging comic as a kid considering all the heavy themes that were presented. I didn't and don't always agree with all the stuff in the TMNT comics, but I always appreciated the effort and the fact that guys like Murphy cared about more than just making a quick buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
In my time designing children's video games; I learned that the right is offended by everything when it comes to their children.
Dude, Stephan, I had no idea you worked in the game industry! Awesome!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 05-31-2011 at 07:50 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
What's a "christian"?
Christian: (noun) Someone who gets overly offended and extremely judgmental by everything under the sun in the name of their all-loving and forgiving creator.

If you call yourself a Christian and you're not like this, you're obviously not doing it right.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
Christian: (noun) Someone who gets overly offended and extremely judgmental by everything under the sun in the name of their all-loving and forgiving creator.

If you call yourself a Christian and you're not like this, you're obviously not doing it right.
Hey now, I'm offended by that remark!

Oh wait...

View my sketch work!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post

Come on man, I can appreciate the humor but its comments like these that make Krang stick in the key and turn the lock on threads.

As for the people writing in, they're ridiculous. Comics are fantasy, an escape from reality, and certainly not a venue for brainwash. Their letters/opinions were prejudiced to a degree 'cause they couldn't accept characters that weren't exactly as they were... Sheesh. Well guess what parents, the turtles are not only not christian, but they're not humans. Take issue with that ya kooks!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

Yeah... not all Christians/Catholics are like that. My parents were fine with me reading TMNT stuff... I enjoyed reading about the other culture stuff. Don't know how that could be offensive.. *shrug*
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I'll just leave this here

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #14
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I actually *wanted* Mom to buy that for me as a kid since it had the Turtles on it. I knew what it said and what it was trying to do but didn't care, and she complied. It's an odd novelty.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #15
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

That's part of the reason I tracked it down. too. That and I think I spent more on shipping the bugger then it cost.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Yeah, just a disclaimer, but this thread was in regards to specific loons like the ones who wrote those letters, not a broadstroking of all Christians on the planet.

So let's all take the highroad, here.

Quote:
Wow. That's as bad as "Turmoil in the Toybox".
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I actually *wanted* Mom to buy that for me as a kid since it had the Turtles on it. I knew what it said and what it was trying to do but didn't care, and she complied. It's an odd novelty.
Same was the case with me, except instead of buying it, I wanted to take it out at the Library.
She let me, and I realized the author was an asshole.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:15 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

As for the people writing in, they're ridiculous. Comics are fantasy, an escape from reality, and certainly not a venue for brainwash. Their letters/opinions were prejudiced to a degree 'cause they couldn't accept characters that weren't exactly as they were... Sheesh. Well guess what parents, the turtles are not only not christian, but they're not humans. Take issue with that ya kooks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
Yeah... not all Christians/Catholics are like that. My parents were fine with me reading TMNT stuff... I enjoyed reading about the other culture stuff. Don't know how that could be offensive.. *shrug*
Lots of good points and good advice for reading fiction here. Kudos, folks.

Quote:
Always a classic piece, Kevin!

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 05-31-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #19
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler
Wow. That's as bad as "Turmoil in the Toybox".
Have those too. Man, they're fun.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #20
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Yeah, just a disclaimer, but this thread was in regards to specific loons like the ones who wrote those letters, not a broadstroking of all Christians on the planet.

So let's all take the highroad, here.
Thanks for the clarification, DrSpengler.
*sigh* Its often a few loud voices that gain attention. i.e., don't let these few letters be fodder for bashing the whole.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmnt entity