The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 PM   #81
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Nope. From what I gather it's actually gotten worse.
Not really, it's played for laughs.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #82
DestronMirage22
Mad Scientist
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MO
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Not really, it's played for laughs.
Does anyone actually find it funny though? I thought it was just annoying ship bait, and that was the last thing the show needed.
__________________

Spoiler:
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #83
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Thank you I think what I wanted with this whole thread is to say that I wish we could get a bit more in April's head, especially in the versions where she is a plot device. In Mirage, her loneliness and isolation is touched on a bit (City at War) but not much.

I recognize that Casey also seems to have nothing going on outside of the Turtles. But April is usually portrayed as the "normal" one. It can't feel very normal to be her, though.
I think I'm one of the few people who ENJOY April's role in City at War. I don't find it boring, I find it compelling.

She's felt trapped by this mutant family for so long, but by the time she tries to rejoin society, she no longer feels like she belongs or can fit in. It's too pedestrian... so she goes back.

Honestly, when you think about it, it can present quite a depressing message.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #84
Lisardo
Stone Warrior
 
Lisardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well the Turtles never really acted like teens in either the original cartoon or 4kids, so it didn't feel much different. It felt like April was just interacting with other people of her age.

The Nick show really is the first series where the Turtles are written as actual teenagers.
I agree with this. In the earlier toons the TMNT looked/acted late teens to early 20s. April in both toons looked/acted 23 - 25. So that puts them around the same age, maybe a few years apart at most. The Nick show, since the turtles actually look/act as teens as they're supposed to, I can see why they'd make April a teen too.
__________________
"Look I'm not gonna stop doing what's right just because it's not appreciated." -Leo

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #85
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisardo View Post
I agree with this. In the earlier toons the TMNT looked/acted late teens to early 20s. April in both toons looked/acted 23 - 25. So that puts them around the same age, maybe a few years apart at most. The Nick show, since the turtles actually look/act as teens as they're supposed to, I can see why they'd make April a teen too.
Pretty much. I tend to think of the Fred Wolf turtles as "Young Adult Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles," and the 4Kids turtles as "Collegiate Mutant Ninja/Samurai Turtles."
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #86
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,067
It was the same in Mirage, Archie and the original movie trilogy too. It never felt like April was interacting with teenagers because she and the Turtles acted the same age in all previous series.

In fact it feels that way in the IDW comics too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #87
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I think I'm one of the few people who ENJOY April's role in City at War. I don't find it boring, I find it compelling.

She's felt trapped by this mutant family for so long, but by the time she tries to rejoin society, she no longer feels like she belongs or can fit in. It's too pedestrian... so she goes back.

Honestly, when you think about it, it can present quite a depressing message.
Some day there'll be a creative team that taps into this.
Someday.

...

I hope.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #88
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Some day there'll be a creative team that taps into this.
Someday.

...

I hope.
Nah. Mirage was the last best chance, and they're not a player anymore.

The problem is nobody ever thinks about using April as an ongoing character; she's hugely important in the first few story arcs, whether it's Mirage or Fred Wolf or Nick or IDW, and then she fades to occasional plot device or background filler.

Which is terrible, because she has had tons of potential over the years, whether as a reporter, or as the depressing Mirage stuff we've discussed.

She's basically Lieutenant Uhura for TMNT; she opens them hailing frequencies, but that's about it. #justiceforuhura #justiceforapril
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #89
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,067
She doesn't need to be forced into every story, or else they have to do things like make April a competent fighter with a katana like Archie or a psychic like Nick.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM   #90
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Nah. Mirage was the last best chance, and they're not a player anymore.

The problem is nobody ever thinks about using April as an ongoing character; she's hugely important in the first few story arcs, whether it's Mirage or Fred Wolf or Nick or IDW, and then she fades to occasional plot device or background filler.

Which is terrible, because she has had tons of potential over the years, whether as a reporter, or as the depressing Mirage stuff we've discussed.

She's basically Lieutenant Uhura for TMNT; she opens them hailing frequencies, but that's about it. #justiceforuhura #justiceforapril
I dunno, the first LA movie gave April some love.
Though...that was more likely due to a perfect storm of affection for the source material, as well as amazing actor input from Hoag.

And as much as I dislike the PD movies, I think Fox did a great job with what she was given. (which wasn't much.)

I've hope that some day April'll find herself in a world crafted by people who know what to do with a female character that goes beyond the "madonna/whore" dichotomy.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #91
DisKosh
Foot Soldier
 
DisKosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I think I'm one of the few people who ENJOY April's role in City at War. I don't find it boring, I find it compelling.

She's felt trapped by this mutant family for so long, but by the time she tries to rejoin society, she no longer feels like she belongs or can fit in. It's too pedestrian... so she goes back.

Honestly, when you think about it, it can present quite a depressing message.
THANK YOU! I don't feel that concept is discussed in stories like this for instance the 1987 series Beauty and the Beast has a very similar plot but we never really see Catherine struggling to fit into society after meeting Vincent (the Beast). She still has time for her career, family and friends.

I know it's fiction, but it still needs to be grounded in some way and emotions are a fantastic way of doing it. I think after being involved in something amazing you would become isolated from everyday life, even Doctor Who addresses that briefly with Rose.

On a side note, I wonder what will happen when she inevitably goes to university and leaves Donatello, a scientific child prodigy behind. Can you imagine how emotional that arc would be for him? It would be a constant reminder that he may be exceptionally skilled, but he'll probably never be able to reach his full potential simply because he's a mutant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
She doesn't need to be forced into every story, or else they have to do things like make April a competent fighter with a katana like Archie or a psychic like Nick.
I think it's people trying to make her interesting, but I on't think she needs powers or to be able to fight to be interesting. My favourite version of the character is in the Mirage comics, she's smart, practical, kind, easy to relate to (for me at least).
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #92
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,926
I honestly thought Fox did a pretty good job too. I loved her biking around doing investigative journalism on her phone. It was kind of endearing.

Do tell about Hoag, I don't know much about her story. I heard she wasn't hired back for the second movie because she wasn't hot enough for preteen boys--is that true?

I guess I don't care whether April is a career-focused person with a life outside of the Turtles or whether she's a lonely soul who realizes the Turtles are better than the "pedestrian" life of humans in the city, as long as the series takes the time to focus on her and what it's like being in those shoes. I did appreciate City at War (Mirage) for that. It is a pretty big deal to give up on the world of humans and commit to a bunch of mutant animals living in hiding.

It is too bad that we'll never get creative teams that really take it in this direction again. The depressingness of Mirage is pretty compelling and I miss it.

Agreed, Cubed, that it's a bit of an eye-roller when she is a skilled ninja or has psychic powers. I don't really mind her in the Nick cartoon, but I would mind if the Mirage character had developed into someone like that just to keep her relevant to the story.
__________________


Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #93
Powder
Endless Screw
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 24,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Do tell about Hoag, I don't know much about her story. I heard she wasn't hired back for the second movie because she wasn't hot enough for preteen boys--is that true?
She got the part while working on Cadillac Man with Robin Williams, who was actually a big fan of the Mirage comics. He brought his collection to work one day & they read/talked about them in her trailer. He gave her some tips on how to really hone in on the character, so the story goes.

As for her involvement in the sequel, I've not heard that. She herself said that the first film was so special she wouldn't do anything that wasn't on par with it. Felt SOTO was too goofy, spiritually lacking, etc. To my understanding it was her decision not to be involved.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #94
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
As for her involvement in the sequel, I've not heard that. She herself said that the first film was so special she wouldn't do anything that wasn't on par with it. Felt SOTO was too goofy, spiritually lacking, etc. To my understanding it was her decision not to be involved.
If I remember correctly she wanted a raise and better conditions on the set because the actors who wore the Turtle costumes were sweating and dehydrated between takes. Aside from that it's probably just behind the scenes Hollywood politics. Same reason they decided not to use Casey in TMNT II for whatever reason.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #95
pferreira
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Well, I think it was a realistic portrayal of journalists, actually. They do tend to be stubborn and always looking for stories, since it's their job.
That's how I took it, perhaps that's what makes her different to the other April's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
and then you have your Lumberjack Lesbians.
You've been watching Monty Python haven't you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sooner or later the characters will all be kindergartners. Maybe in 2018. (Not serious of course, but eesh... really hope it's never like that.)
Nickelodeon...Rugrats...Nooooo! Don't give them ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
She's felt trapped by this mutant family for so long, but by the time she tries to rejoin society, she no longer feels like she belongs or can fit in. It's too pedestrian... so she goes back.

Honestly, when you think about it, it can present quite a depressing message.
I don't look at it that way. Yeah she's an outcast as are the Turtles but that's what brings them together. TMNT has always stood up for outcasts and said you don't need to be alone because there's a place for you in society somewhere. So what if she doesn't hang out with other human beings? Her life is more fulfilled helping the Turtles. Of course April as she grows older needs a more financially stable life but in her 20s or as a teenager being around mutant turtles she at least found her place in the world. And no I don't mean a sewer...
pferreira is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #96
DisKosh
Foot Soldier
 
DisKosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Nickelodeon...Rugrats...Nooooo! Don't give them ideas!
I wouldn't be against a show about baby turtles if it focused on Splinter trying to raise them. There have actually been a few great fanfics about that but I don't think it would be interesting to kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I don't look at it that way. Yeah she's an outcast as are the Turtles but that's what brings them together. TMNT has always stood up for outcasts and said you don't need to be alone because there's a place for you in society somewhere. So what if she doesn't hang out with other human beings? Her life is more fulfilled helping the Turtles. Of course April as she grows older needs a more financially stable life but in her 20s or as a teenager being around mutant turtles she at least found her place in the world. And no I don't mean a sewer...
Even later on when she's an adult she's married to Casey and they have an adopted daughter, but they still see the turtles and Splinter regularly. Shadow, their daugher, even called the turtles her uncles and Splinter her grandpa, it's really endearing.

Whenever anyone brings up this kind of discussion I always want to refer to the 80's Beauty and the Beast series because it basically has the same plot (woman is rescued by a mutant who lives under NYC in the 80's) only April is way better than Catherine (I'm still a bit annoyed with her after last episode, unvaccinated swine).
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #97
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If I remember correctly she wanted a raise and better conditions on the set because the actors who wore the Turtle costumes were sweating and dehydrated between takes. Aside from that it's probably just behind the scenes Hollywood politics. Same reason they decided not to use Casey in TMNT II for whatever reason.
Wow, this is cool to hear about. Hoag sounds super cool. How did Casey's actor end up in the third film again then I wonder?
__________________


Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #98
pferreira
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
Whenever anyone brings up this kind of discussion I always want to refer to the 80's Beauty and the Beast series because it basically has the same plot (woman is rescued by a mutant who lives under NYC in the 80's) only April is way better than Catherine (I'm still a bit annoyed with her after last episode, unvaccinated swine).
Good comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Wow, this is cool to hear about. Hoag sounds super cool. How did Casey's actor end up in the third film again then I wonder?
I don't think it was so much Elias Koteas wasn't allowed to be in the second film, it was more a problem of logistics. His Casey knows Hoag so pairing him after just a year with Paige Turco was a bit too soon. Plus it's possible Koteas was busy with another movie. Getting him back with the third movie was probably down to actor availability and story reasons.
pferreira is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
april o'neil

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.