The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
Spike Spiegel
Welcome Back, Samus!
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 1,793
Putting TMNT franchise history in context

From the comic book to the animations, movies, and beyond, do you think that TMNT has gone through stages or eras as a franchise?

If so, how do you personally separate/define those stages, and where do you predict things are headed next?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shatner
There's a whole world out there. When I was your age, I didn't watch television; I lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,792
You divide them up like Pokemon generations:

Generation 1: Mirage TMNT (1984-1996 as it's original run), Fred Wolf cartoon (1987-1996), Archie TMNT Adventures (1987-1996), and Original Movie trilogy (1990-1993), and the associated toys and videogames

Gen 1.5: Next Mutation and Image...short-lived both started in 1997 and ended in 1998

Generation 2: Mirage's revival with Volume 4 and Tales (2001-2010), 4kids TMNT cartoon (2003-2009), 2007 movie, and the associated toys and videogames

Generation 3: IDW TMNT (2011-present), Nick TMNT cartoon (2012-2017), Platinum Dunes movies (unfortunately), and the associated toys and videogames


As we can see we've gone through 3 very distinct gens of TMNT so far. We'll see where we go from there. It seems there's always a cycle of the comics and cartoons starting at the same time and ending close together.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
neatoman
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You divide them up like Pokemon generations:

Generation 1: Mirage TMNT (1984-1996 as it's original run), Fred Wolf cartoon (1987-1996), Archie TMNT Adventures (1987-1996), and Original Movie trilogy (1990-1993), and the associated toys and videogames

Gen 1.5: Next Mutation and Image...short-lived both started in 1997 and ended in 1998

Generation 2: Mirage's revival with Volume 4 and Tales (2001-2010), 4kids TMNT cartoon (2003-2009), 2007 movie, and the associated toys and videogames

Generation 3: IDW TMNT (2011-present), Nick TMNT cartoon (2012-2017), Platinum Dunes movies (unfortunately), and the associated toys and videogames


As we can see we've gone through 3 very distinct gens of TMNT so far. We'll see where we go from there. It seems there's always a cycle of the comics and cartoons starting at the same time and ending close together.
I think we can call "Gen 1.5" a "failed experiment" or an "aborted revitalisation".

I'd like to add to this the fact that IDW might continuously publish TMNT comics well after Rise ends, and will indeed do so during it's run. So what do make of that? A part of G3 continuing well into and after G4, or something outside of the generations?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:23 AM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Mad Scientist
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fourside
Posts: 1,345
I wonder whether "rise" would be a new generation or a part of gen 3. Id be tempted to say new, since we might also be getting a rebooted movie franchise even though IDW will almost surely still be running during rise's production.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #5
ProphetofGanja
Mad Scientist
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,449
That seems like a pretty decent breakdown, Cubed.

We probably have at LEAST three years before more serious talk of new TMNT movies, and we'll have to see how successful the Rise show is.

Maybe the first ~80 issues of the main IDW series plus all the one-shots and mini-series could be considered Gen 3, and then the next wave of IDW comics could be considered part of the next Gen. Looking at the IDW comics coming out now, they are very different from the comics released in that first year or so.

Really only time will tell though
__________________
"Wait... what?"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,792
I think the only difference this time around is IDW TMNT looks like it's going to go on at least 10 years or beyond. All previous times TMNT comics ended the exact same time the cartoons did.

Mirage stopped publishing Volume 2 around late 1995. The original cartoon aired its last season in 1996, and the Archie TMNT Adventures also ended in 1996. Kind of ironic the original "end" of TMNT all happened at the same time.

Then with the revival in the early 2000's, Mirage stopped Tales of the TMNT in May 2010. The 4kids cartoon ended in 2009. The 2007 movie did not get a sequel. So again, everything "ended" at the same time and that's when the sale to Nick happened.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,300
That is indeed a good way to breakdown the different Turtle generations but I don't get the Pokémon analogy considering the TMNT are always set in the same place(NYC) and the franchise isn't about introducing new core/main characters per generation to catch new Pokémon and face new enemies like Pokémon is.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That is indeed a good way to breakdown the different Turtle generations but I don't get the Pokémon analogy considering the TMNT are always set in the same place(NYC) and the franchise isn't about introducing new core/main characters per generation to catch new Pokémon and face new enemies like Pokémon is.
It's the same concept that each new TMNT series is aimed to attract a whole new gen of kids to the franchise, while older fans either continue or grow out of the franchise. That's why they're called "generations," as in they're aimed at a new gen of kids who weren't even born when the older series was airing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,743
Golden Age: 1984-1987

Silver Age: 1988-1999

Bronze Age: 2002-2010

Modern Age: 2011-Current




I predict the Modern Age to end in 2019. IDW #100 comes out that year and I don't expect Rise to last longer than a season or two.

At that point, hopefully it rests for a bit while Viacom gets their sh*t together to finally make a good movie. Cartoons, comics and merch would follow of course, but I'll always have a massive backlog of that to go though. I really want to be blown away by a TMNT movie in theaters.

2024 is the 40th anniversary. Maybe that'll be a nice time for a real Turtles film.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 04-01-2017 at 02:48 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's the same concept that each new TMNT series is aimed to attract a whole new gen of kids to the franchise, while older fans either continue or grow out of the franchise. That's why they're called "generations," as in they're aimed at a new gen of kids who weren't even born when the older series was airing.
I know what a "generation" is. But I'm sure more franchises had their own different generations. Stop using Pokémon as a blue print/reference for every other franchise out there.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 30,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I know what a "generation" is. But I'm sure more franchises had their own different generations. Stop using Pokémon as a blue print/reference for every other franchise out there.
What do you call all the DC and Marvel relaunches then? They divide up their comics, movie universes and shows in a similar way.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What do you call all the DC and Marvel relaunches then? They divide up their comics, movie universes and shows in a similar way.
No idea, I don't read/watch anything from those franchises, elt alone know what their chronology is.

Regardless, they pre-date Pokémon considering Spider-man and Batman have been around since like forever. So they can't have Pokémon-style generations. That's like saying Mega Man has Pokémon style of gameplay when the first MM game is from the 80s and considering it also uses a rock, papers scissor formula.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #13
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,932
It's cool seeing it divided by gens like this. What's everyone's favourite gen? I think each generation has had its awesome parts and its stinkers... but I guess I like "gen 1" and "gen 2" best. Love IDW though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
2024 is the 40th anniversary. Maybe that'll be a nice time for a real Turtles film.
What do you all think is the best way we fans can get a GOOD movie?

We need to compile evidence that the more mature versions of TMNT will bring in money... IDW and the 1990 movie I guess? Because the Nick show has definitely declined in profit as it has gotten more ridiculous and out there, no?
__________________


Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That is indeed a good way to breakdown the different Turtle generations but I don't get the Pokémon analogy considering the TMNT are always set in the same place(NYC) and the franchise isn't about introducing new core/main characters per generation to catch new Pokémon and face new enemies like Pokémon is.
Transformers goes by generations as well.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
ProphetofGanja
Mad Scientist
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Golden Age: 1984-1987

Silver Age: 1988-1999

Bronze Age: 2002-2010

Modern Age: 2011-Current




I predict the Modern Age to end in 2019. IDW #100 comes out that year and I don't expect Rise to last longer than a season or two.

At that point, hopefully it rests for a bit while Viacom gets their sh*t together to finally make a good movie. Cartoons, comics and merch would follow of course, but I'll always have a massive backlog of that to go though. I really want to be blown away by a TMNT movie in theaters.

2024 is the 40th anniversary. Maybe that'll be a nice time for a real Turtles film.
'Ages' is probably the best way to refer to eras of TMNT, if not referring to a specific iteration (such as a show/movie/comic series), but eventually the Modern Age would need to be referred to as something else, possibly the Millennial Age?

In any case, its a very mixed bag, what with the worst TMNT movies and (IMO) the best TMNT comics.
__________________
"Wait... what?"
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #16
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,743
Uh... the iron age? Or change '84-'87 to the stone age?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
context, franchise history, tmnt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.