The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Razhar and Tokka appear more?
Yes 15 50.00%
No 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #61
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Are you kidding? Dogpound's design was awful, and Rahzar was a much needed improvement. Besides his personality didn't change between mutation so it's the same character.

Also why do you keep saying, "not that character?" All Rahzar is, is basically a wolf. He had no backstory prior to the Nick cartoon.

Rahzar used to be nothing but a wolf mutated for Shredder in the second movie. In his original cartoon appearance he had no backstory and was just a random mutant who lived in the wild.

Nick's Rahzar has an actual backstory (Chris Bradford), has a personality, actually works for Shredder beyond being a "dumb feral mutant" and had a role in the series. Take off the nostalgia glasses, Nick's Rahzar is the best version of the character to date.
I liked Dogpound's design even if you didn't. Rahzar's design is alright but a little too hot topic for my tastes and doesn't fit Bradford.

Yes, Rahzar did not have a huge backstory and he didn't need one, he was fine without one, especially since his backstory here is basically eliminating an original character the show had made that wasn't terrible like snakeweed or whatever he was called.

|In fact one of my biggest issues with this show is taking established characters and making them totally unrelated to the character they're supposed to be. Just make new characters if that's what you're going to do with them. I still can't believe Hun is Bruce Lee in the CG show.
__________________
@0sdp
TMNT articles @ MiscRave.com
sdp is online now  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #62
Coola Yagami
Emperor
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I still can't believe Hun is Bruce Lee in the CG show.
I'm just gonna kick back and wait for Cubed to somehow defend Nick's design to turn Hun into Bruce Lee after all the times he himself said he was so against it. I bet if the Nick show added turtle nostrils, he would still find some way to defend it, despite his huge distaste for them.
__________________
http://markandpaigerodriguez.blogspot.com/ Our blog on random stuff from TMNT to Batman comics to whatever else hits our mind. Also a member of the Heroes in a Halfact Podcast series.
our video game review Youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameMasters09
v=ufYzGoquORs[/url]
Coola Yagami is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 AM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,363
How do you people even believe what you're saying with this name only stuff?

Every version of Karai after Mirage was Karai in name only. 4kids Rat King was a failed Bishop clone, is he in name only too? Fred Wolf Baxter was a wimpy white guy with blonde hair instead of a black man. Archie Slash is an alien Turtle instead of a mutant like the other versions. Sometimes Splinter IS Hamato Yoshi and sometimes his pet rat.

Do you see how ridiculous you sound? By this logic every single character used again after whatever series they debuted in is the character in name only. Every character is changed and updated with new series. So why the hell do you single out one show over everything else? Laughably saying a Rahzar with no backstory is better than one with a past. Get real.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 02:52 AM   #64
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 13,149
I'd rather see a decent (like 87 series) Rahzar and Tokka than any incarnation of B&R so far outside of IDW.
__________________
Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 05:13 AM   #65
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm just gonna kick back and wait for Cubed to somehow defend Nick's design to turn Hun into Bruce Lee after all the times he himself said he was so against it.
[bitchvoice]Hun's just a small Chinese man? Why even call him Hun and not Akira?[/bitchvoice]
ToTheNines is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #66
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Those are all real words you ****ing retard. Rahzar is jibberish.
Wait a minute...there are real people called Metalhead?!

I don't see why both can't appear again and if it really annoys people here I definitely think they should.
pferreira is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #67
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Wait a minute...there are real people called Metalhead?!

I don't see why both can't appear again and if it really annoys people here I definitely think they should.
Um... as a nickname, absolutely yes.

You know anyone named Rahzar? Tokka? (Your imaginary friends don't count)
ToTheNines is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #68
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Um... as a nickname, absolutely yes.

You know anyone named Rahzar? Tokka? (Your imaginary friends don't count)
Metalhead isn't a name people are born with. As a nickname? Why not because of them? One TMNT fan calls themselves Tokka because of these two.
pferreira is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #69
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Metalhead isn't a name people are born with. As a nickname? Why not because of them? One TMNT fan calls themselves Tokka because of these two.
Yes, within the niche world of TMNT fans, you've found one guy with the nickname "Tokka". That still doesn't change the fact that "metal" and "head" are REAL English words, and "Metalhead" is a very common slang term for one who listens to metal.

When they created Tokka and Rahzar for SotO, they just completely made those names up, because they sounded cool. The 90's were a simpler time, and it was a silly ass movie anyways. These days, writers are held to a higher standard. That standard includes not just barfing up stupid names for your characters, even if they solely exist for the purpose of being made into Playmates toys.
ToTheNines is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #70
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yes, within the niche world of TMNT fans, you've found one guy with the nickname "Tokka". That still doesn't change the fact that "metal" and "head" are REAL English words, and "Metalhead" is a very common slang term for one who listens to metal.

When they created Tokka and Rahzar for SotO, they just completely made those names up, because they sounded cool. The 90's were a simpler time, and it was a silly ass movie anyways. These days, writers are held to a higher standard. That standard includes not just barfing up stupid names for your characters, even if they solely exist for the purpose of being made into Playmates toys.
Exactly.

These aren't Klingons or Romulans... English names don't get made up.

Razor makes sense as a name, because it's a word. Rahzar is jibberish.

Snapper or Spike or Slash all make sense as names, because they're words; Tokka is gibberish and has nothing to do with ANYTHING.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #71
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Tokka is gibberish and has nothing to do with ANYTHING.
Unless you want to invent a pretend 'tribal jungle language', which involves the heavy lifting of connecting the Foot to some non-Japanese part of the world.

Or you can be a half assed weeb like cybercubed and make believe that it's a Japanese word "like Godzilla"
ToTheNines is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #72
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Unless you want to invent a pretend 'tribal jungle language', which involves the heavy lifting of connecting the Foot to some non-Japanese part of the world.

Or you can be a half assed weeb like cybercubed and make believe that it's a Japanese word "like Godzilla"
Tokka is a great made-up name. But it's nothing anyone would name a mutant unless they were an alien.

Actually, I take that back. Shredder might have realistically named Tokka IF Shredder thought that a herd of reindeer was intimidating. And if Oroku Saki were Finnish, Icelandic, Swedish, or Nordic.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tokka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #73
pferreira
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yes, within the niche world of TMNT fans, you've found one guy with the nickname "Tokka". That still doesn't change the fact that "metal" and "head" are REAL English words, and "Metalhead" is a very common slang term for one who listens to metal.

When they created Tokka and Rahzar for SotO, they just completely made those names up, because they sounded cool. The 90's were a simpler time, and it was a silly ass movie anyways. These days, writers are held to a higher standard. That standard includes not just barfing up stupid names for your characters, even if they solely exist for the purpose of being made into Playmates toys.
Ok cool. I guess you're right then.
pferreira is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #74
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Tokka is a great made-up name. But it's nothing anyone would name a mutant unless they were an alien.

Actually, I take that back. Shredder might have realistically named Tokka IF Shredder thought that a herd of reindeer was intimidating. And if Oroku Saki were Finnish, Icelandic, Swedish, or Nordic.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tokka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages
Well, we just traced to lineage of Eric Sacks.
ToTheNines is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #75
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Well, we just traced to lineage of Eric Sacks.
And now I have a mental image of Eric Saxophone feeding his pet snapping turtle "Tokka" some lutefisk...
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #76
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
How do you people even believe what you're saying with this name only stuff?

Every version of Karai after Mirage was Karai in name only. 4kids Rat King was a failed Bishop clone, is he in name only too? Fred Wolf Baxter was a wimpy white guy with blonde hair instead of a black man. Archie Slash is an alien Turtle instead of a mutant like the other versions. Sometimes Splinter IS Hamato Yoshi and sometimes his pet rat.

Do you see how ridiculous you sound? By this logic every single character used again after whatever series they debuted in is the character in name only. Every character is changed and updated with new series. So why the hell do you single out one show over everything else? Laughably saying a Rahzar with no backstory is better than one with a past. Get real.

It's the difference between deviation vs variation, you can change a character and adapt him but there's a certain point where that character becomes someone entirely different and is no longer the same.

I'm not a fan of rat king in the 2k3 show but even then it could be seen more of a variation. Of course the OT and 2k3 had plenty of deviations but the Nick show did this with pretty much every character they wanted to re-introduce for nostalgia.
__________________
@0sdp
TMNT articles @ MiscRave.com
sdp is online now  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #77
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's the difference between deviation vs variation, you can change a character and adapt him but there's a certain point where that character becomes someone entirely different and is no longer the same.

I'm not a fan of rat king in the 2k3 show but even then it could be seen more of a variation. Of course the OT and 2k3 had plenty of deviations but the Nick show did this with pretty much every character they wanted to re-introduce for nostalgia.
Every character on the show that was based on the 80s series, were deviations of the originals, they felt like entirely new characters instead of old ones, It was one of my grievances about it, Tokka, Rahzar, Mona Lisa, Wingnut and Screwloose

The only character from the original that had a similar origin was Mondo Gecko, whose origin was loosely based on the archie comics.

Here's hoping the 2018 series is a new universe, and the characters they borrow are closer to there source material then what Nick universe has done.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's the difference between deviation vs variation, you can change a character and adapt him but there's a certain point where that character becomes someone entirely different and is no longer the same.

I'm not a fan of rat king in the 2k3 show but even then it could be seen more of a variation. Of course the OT and 2k3 had plenty of deviations but the Nick show did this with pretty much every character they wanted to re-introduce for nostalgia.
LOL, 4kids Shredder was a goddamn Utrom. The Shredder, the human main villain of the Turtles was changed to an alien Utrom in 4kids.

You guys can't call out Nick for changing/updating characters when the 4kids series, IDW, Archie, etc. all did the same things.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #79
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
LOL, 4kids Shredder was a goddamn Utrom. The Shredder, the human main villain of the Turtles was changed to an alien Utrom in 4kids.

You guys can't call out Nick for changing/updating characters when the 4kids series, IDW, Archie, etc. all did the same things.
And yet he functioned as an actual Shredder, fulfilling all of the core functions and backgrounds of Oroku Saki (albeit with some changes). Same for Nick's take on the character.
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #80
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,363
And I'd say most of the updated characters in Nick all form the same functions to make them true to their characters as well. That's why I don't understand some of these people's double standards here.

We finally have a Rahzar with an actual character and backstory, as opposed to the dumb feral mutant he was in the second movie. Until IDW introduces their version of Rahzar in the future...if that ever happens, Nick's version is still the most developed version of the character.
CyberCubed is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cubedindenial

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.