Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #1541
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, the article and VA says she'll be playing the first African American April O'Neil.
Ah, didn't remember that part specifying it. Cool. (Please be an adult again.)
Old 11-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #1542
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm fine with April being a teen again. It worked better than I thought it would. Having adult April limits her to being involved with the Turtles. Mirage, 2k3 and IDW April might as well barely exist half the time. Only reason original cartoon April was always there was the reporter angle.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #1543
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
The show is gonna suck because April is black and Raph might temporarily lead the team?

I don't think so. Depends entirely on the writing and execution.
No, not solely because of those reasons.
I think it will because based off the description they gave of the show, it’s going to be a childish one focused mostly on humor instead of actual plot/storytelling.
I thought the 2012 show was too immature at times, and apparently this new one is gonna be more “lighthearted” than that one? Yeesh.

As far as black April is concerned, it doesn’t bother me at all. I know her being of color has roots from the past, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the reason they’re doing it. It seems like changing a characters gender or race or introducing diverse characters in their place has become something that’s been happening a lot, and Nick’s probably just going along with it too.

And Raphael being the leader’s just a dumb decision.
One that feels like it’s being done just for the sake of change.
And surely it won’t be the last.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:57 PM   #1544
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's still way too early to say anything given we haven't even seen designs of any of the characters yet, let alone a trailer showing the tone of the show.

After we get those things and if it looks bad, then I can understand. But right now literally nothing has been revealed yet.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #1545
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Isn't a reboot, by definition, change for the sake of change?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #1546
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Let's have a new Usagi Yojimbo comic, but let's make Miyamoto a Chipmunk instead, we're not animal-ists and there's already too many rabbits in media. Also Gen will be the Samurai and Miyamoto the bounty hunter, we've already had so many years of Usagi being the samurai so why not have them change roles.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #1547
CyberCubed
Overlord

There have been like 50+ incarnations of Batman since the 40's.

Having 4 TMNT cartoons isn't going to kill anybody.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #1548
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

*eyes shut*

It's just a bad fan AU...it's just a bad fan AU...it's just a bad fan AU...

*peeks*

Did it come true yet...?

Just how old am I gonna have to be until another cartoon brings the real Leo and Raph back... You know this age stuff is no laughing matter. lol I don't want to wait until I'm old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Let's have a new Usagi Yojimbo comic, but let's make Miyamoto a Chipmunk instead, we're not animal-ists and there's already too many rabbits in media. Also Gen will be the Samurai and Miyamoto the bounty hunter, we've already had so many years of Usagi being the samurai so why not have them change roles.
Oh, definitely. Usagi should also not suffer the death of his master but massacre him himself because reasons.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 PM   #1549
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There's a fine line with what can be done, look at the Karate Kid reboot, the kid doesn't even learn Karate but it worked, a new story unrelated to the original, more of a spiritual sequel than a remake or anything of the sorts. The Halloween remake is thought of as boring since it's exactly the same thing with only bits and pieces here. Shin Godzilla changed the mythos a bunch but it worked, aren't people's main complains about Man of Steel is that he isn't Superman enough? Why does he always have to be the goody two shoes?Black Kingpin in the Daredevil movie is good while black Wally West in The Flash is awful despite the movie being panned and the show praised. It's all about execution, changing established characters roles only works if it really is better than what was done before and fills the role nicely.

We won't know how the show will be until it starts airing but its fun to speculate. I'll admit that most of what we are getting are red flags but we don't know.

TMNT fans aren't known for their approval of changes despite that the OT is full of them from Mirage, then again most people who like the OT didn't know what Mirage in spite of the internet telling us that everyone was a mirage fan since always. Just look at how The Next Mutation is treated.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #1550
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I just wish that instead of reboots and changing stupid stuff for the sake of change, more people would focus on a continuity instead. The Turtles we still know and love, but a new later chapter in their lives and new stories. This one I guess is trying to do that (sorta... not the later chapter part), but why screw with them in the process... Would prefer that changes stick to the area of development and additions that work, not hey, lets bastardize the hell of out of this thing because why not.

I don't personally have a problem with the Turtles remaining the same people all the time, personally wise, that part doesn't exactly get stale (I mean, it's like wanting a family member to change personally because you're bored of it)... retelling the same stories do. I'd like new and different stories. Not different Turtles, as far as personalities, roles, and other traits go. They wanna change them, then geeze... change art style and give them some new hobbies, annoyances, friends and so forth...

It's a shame though... I'd long wished that after the current series ended they'd surprise us and continue with a second.

And then we got this. Whatever the heck it is. Just my luck. Sorry. Think I jinxed it. (It had to be me, that's the only reason the universe would conspire to do that to my fave Turtle.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-03-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #1551
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I just wish that instead of reboots and changing stupid stuff for the sake of change, more people would focus on a continuity instead.
Maaaan who wants to see the same damn thing over and over?
Old 11-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #1552
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Boring people with no imagination.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:38 AM   #1553
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Whoa, whoa... Kat Graham is voicing April O'Niel? That's nuts! I brought her up as a potential April when dream casting a new movie only a couple weeks ago. This is kinda like a wish fulfilment for me. Awesome
Old 11-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #1554
Sighphi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
There have been like 50+ incarnations of Batman since the 40's.

Having 4 TMNT cartoons isn't going to kill anybody.
and in those 50+ incarnations Bruce was always the Bat, Alfred was always Alfred, and Robin was always Robin. Except when he was Nightwing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Boring people with no imagination.
Why you dissing the creators, yo?

Im sure Nick put hard rules which is why they cant create a totally new show from a different dimension where all of this would make sense.

Oh maybe this is a different dimension but they wont market it as that because the normies would get confused.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:11 AM   #1555
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I really don't get where that came from. 2012 Raph was a great character imho.
Maybe to you, but not to a lot of us.

His stand alone episodes were just him 'fixing one of his own mistakes'. That's it. You want examples?

Slash And Destroy? He mistakenly made Slash cause he was the one who took the ooze and kept it there, didn't pay attention, had nagged at Spike about his brothers...and thus almost got them killed in one of the more brutal beatdowns that his brothers got. And it was Raph's fault.

Spider-Bytz? Raph got mad, got their picture taken, kept screwing up, and at the end had to come and fix his own mistakes.

Raph tried to lead, failing horribly and almost ending up in getting Mikey killed. Which they didn't follow up on in future stories.

The Roach who was mad because Raph tried to kill it...thus Raph helped cause the Roach to go after them, and got to be so much of a Chicken that he ran off when his family was in trouble.

Or when Raph found Zog and pretended to be his 'commander' without telling his family about it? When Zog gains back his head? He speaks of how the Triceraton Empire values loyalty and honor, and Raphael had none of those qualities since the guy had lied to him and told him that he/Raph was Zog's commander, thus he will activate a Triceraton Beacon, alerting the Triceraton Armada of the Kraang's infestation of Earth, and giving them the signal to begin their attack and destroy Earth. Which lead to blowing up the Earth. And for those who want to counter that? Watch the episode again, and give me a counterpoint. Please do.

Let's see...what else: getting turned into a plant, or turned into a vampire way early on in an arc and was deemed useless/a hassle to deal with...thus not helping the other Turtles in dealing with the monsters at all, not doing anything with the fact that it was him and April with Splinter when Splinter was killed (the second time...you think maybe they could have done something with Raph witnessing that firsthand and right in front of him), getting mind-controlled and getting no payback from that, stupidly getting his own brain switched with a Kraang...how many examples does one need?

I'm not trying to be mean or rude. I'm just stating these in a matter of fact way.

1. What made Raph an important, necessary part of the team? Especially in the last couple seasons? Honestly nothing...other than falling in love with a mutant lizard and getting Chompy...which even THAT lead to the Earth being in danger once again (because of Raph, who brought Chompy with them)...so that's ANOTHER mistake he had to fix.
2. If Raph had died in say...the beginning of season 3...would anything have changed? Nah, not really.

He had no importance in the results of the main storylines and he was just the butt of many jokes.

Leo got to save the day in multiple season finales, and take out the Shredder.

Mikey got to be the expert of Dimension X as well as many moments to shine (making the antidote to save them from the parasites, saving them from the 'killer pizza'...as silly as that was...they weren't stories of 'Mikey fixing the mistakes that he started in the first place ala Raphael).

Don got to be the one making the mutagen to turn people back into humans, among other things.

Even April became more of a worthwhile teammate than Raphael. Feel free to name all of the 'accomplishments that 2012 Raph made as a character' without having to go 'well, he fixed a mistake that he got himself in'.

The guy was even afraid of HORSES for crying out loud (yeah I know, for a joke...Ha and Ha).

I could go on for a long time. Trust me. If you disagree? That's fine. But I would just say that I don't really get where you're coming from...the 2012 Raphael was just a detriment to the team. A constant hassle who either someone else needed to bail out or got controlled, switched, 'planted', ran from bugs/horses, knocked out, or defeated...or 'he had to fix the mistake he/himself' started.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:26 AM   #1556
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Am I the only one who is gonna wait and see How Raph does as Leader and Leo does in his new role instead of getting Triggered and upset? Leo will probably be leader later in the show.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:30 AM   #1557
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nick's Raph was one of my favorite versions of him. I wonder how this new one will stack up, I guess we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Am I the only one who is gonna wait and see How Raph does as Leader and Leo does in his new role instead of getting Triggered and upset? Leo will probably be leader later in the show.
This is what I expect to. This Leonardo will grow into the leadership role while Raph will probably blunder being the leader due to his hot-head personality. Then they'll settle into the usual roles.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #1558
newfan
Mad Scientist

Well I knew when I got up there would be at least another 3 pages of new posts on this thread
The new show news brought me on a downer yesterday, but here were are.

I don't think they have done this because Raph wasn't used as he could have been in the 2012 show, they could do more with with him in his usual role if they wanted to do that. As for the theory of Leo earning leadership and growing into that role, wouldn't that depend on the target age group for this show? If it's younger children would they go to that depth? I'm not saying it isn't, just speculating.
If it does remain permanent then I will just have to take the view that it is only for this show and like the others, it will end too.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:44 AM   #1559
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
Why you dissing the creators, yo?
What creators? Random whiny fans haven't created anything except annoyance.

Quote:
Im sure Nick put hard rules which is why they cant create a totally new show from a different dimension where all of this would make sense.

Oh maybe this is a different dimension but they wont market it as that because the normies would get confused.
The hell are you talking about? They aren't rewriting 2012 or any other series. It's its own thing and if they keep with the multiverse aspect it'll very much be its "own" dimension, so you're completely off-base.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 AM   #1560
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

As for the topic at hand...if they want to do this 'Raph is the leader and Leo is different' take on it? Then go for it. Full Force. Don't go 'half in' and then now follow through.

That was a one of the problems with the 2012 show. They brought up the whole 'Don and April/love thing' but kept meandering around for 5 years...with no conclusion and no follow through.

If the makers want to make Raph the leader?

1. Do a good job writing it.

2. Follow through with it. If they do this whole 'well Raph is a leader, sucks at it, Leo becomes leader' and it just ends up at the same thing as before? Then it would be just one gigantic 'What Was the Point Of It All'...aka what would be the point if you don't actually Follow Through with some conviction.

Either do it 100% or don't bring it up in the first place. Show a problematic Raph but, by storytelling and CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, actually deal with someone working out their problems and becoming better. Don't do a 'he has anger, learned his lesson, back to square one in the next episode'. Many are tired of that.

I'm fine with things being different. For example, I actually liked the idea of Splinter's daughter being Karai in the 2012 show.

It's if they are different AND they suck ass. The Platinum Dunes flicks were different...but they also sucked.

And I'm fine with April being black. Just don't give her any stupid super powers and be as annoying as the 2012 April. Please.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters