Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #1721
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
We may be getting older, but it's still OUR franchise. just because it's no longer targeted toward us doesn't mean we still don't get an opinion on what we like and don't like.
Gotta agree there. I'm very glad they're still around and we get to share them with other generations and that more young kids love it too... (warms my heart every time I see kids TMNT clothing being bought at my store and I damn well make sure that stuff is placed where it's easily seen - and I love being one of the first to see new TMNT stuff that's come in!)... they're welcome to be a part, but they ain't owning the keys to it, dammit. Not until this generation is dead and gone. This one was 'born' into my group, and I wouldn't disparage any now-adult TMNT 'kid' from an opinion any more than I would an old man's views, just because he's old, on a modern Superman (or other early hero) change after being a lifelong fan since it was new. (And likewise for those kids today with whatever new stuff comes out today for them and makes it big and is still enjoyed by them 30 years from now.) It saddens me that even fans will cling to the sigma that it's "just for kids" and discourage any encouragement for that to not be the case at some point.

This one may sound to be even more for the kiddies, but it doesn't mean people have to be just fine with a twisted representation of the characters those kids are being given... It's characters I care about, and one esp that they're screwing with. Time will tell, but the details so far annoy me that this may be my nephew's intro to TMNT. Damn I was hoping it would be an expanded-on Half Shell! *sigh* I may need to get the collection of '87 that we can eventually binge watch someday until he's old enough for 2012 and 2003. (Dear lord, do not let this kid decide Raph is his fave then fight me for the rest of my days over him being the oldest and leader.)

But yeah, "for the kids" or not, I still want new things to be good and worthy of TMNT. Good old stuff is great, but re-watching/reading old memories over and over isn't the same as seeing a TMNT that are continuing to thrive...

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-05-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #1722
CyberCubed
Overlord

I actually find Leonardo far more interesting when he's struggling to lead or doubting himself or going through angst, rather than just being the "stock leader" type of personality.

All my favorite Leonardo episodes in all 3 cartoons were the ones where he was acting out of the ordinary, either struggling with his ability to lead, getting angry, or having doubts about himself.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #1723
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yes, I agree, it makes him more of a whole character that he has his own struggles and taken into consideration that he carries a lot of weight and expectations on his shoulders from both Rat dad and himself, and a person can only handle so much sometimes before they break. edit:**

And the doubts and lack of confidence on occasion... totally relatable, and a good message there that it makes him no less awesome that he has these troubles at times and can make it through it, like many in real life. Having doubts this one will even go into any of that, not with the character description we've gotten so far. Feels more cocky 2007-ish imo (which I'm not a fan of), but we'll see...

** And even negative stuff are among things I relate to with him. Esp the fact that he's more the sort who most of the time is just going to take it, just deal with it, and keep on dealing with it, bottling it up and internalize it, because he isn't going to want to burden others with it and prefers to show this as a strength and be others' rock. Which I relate to and do the same and appreciate and admire that inner strength, but at the same time recognize that it's also a negative trait if it goes so long that the pressure breaks and you get a period like angry 2003 Leo. (Been there, done that, sans harming anyone, but I hadn't been flinging around any swords either. lol) I'd so love to have a similar series back...

Last edited by IndigoErth; 11-05-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #1724
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Gotta agree there. I'm very glad they're still around and we get to share them with other generations and that more young kids love it too... (warms my heart every time I see kids TMNT clothing being bought at my store and I damn well make sure that stuff is placed where it's easily seen)... they're welcome to be a part, but they ain't owning the keys to it, dammit. Not until this generation is dead and gone. This one was 'born' into my group, and I wouldn't disparage any now-adult TMNT 'kid' from an opinion any more than I would an old man's views, just because he's old, on a modern Superman (or other early hero) change after being a lifelong fan since it was new. (And likewise for those kids today with whatever new stuff comes out today for them and makes it big and is still enjoyed by them 30 years from now.) It saddens me that even fans will cling to the sigma that it's "just for kids" and discourage any encouragement for that to not be the case at some point.

This one may sound to be even more for the kiddies, but it doesn't mean people have to be just fine with a twisted representation of the characters those kids are being given... It's characters I care about, and one esp that they're screwing with. Time will tell, but the details so far annoy me that this may be my nephew's intro to TMNT. Damn I was hoping it would be an expanded-on Half Shell! *sigh* I may need to get the collection of '87 that we can eventually binge watch someday until he's old enough for 2012 and 2003. (Dear lord, do not let this kid decide Raph is his fave then fight me for the rest of my days over him being the oldest and leader.)

But yeah, "for the kids" or not, I still want new things to be good and worthy of TMNT. Good old stuff is great, but re-watching/reading old memories over and over isn't the same as seeing a TMNT that are continuing to thrive...
^This! It's a terrible copout excuse and just shows that the "fans" spouting this, truly don't care about this property that they loved as a kid.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, it makes him more of a whole character that he has his own struggles and taken into consideration that he carries a lot of weight and expectations on his shoulders from both Rat dad and himself, and a person can only handle so much sometimes before they break.

And the doubts and lack of confidence on occasion... totally relatable, and a good message there that it makes him no less awesome that he has these troubles at times and can make it through it, like many in real life. Having doubts this one will even go into any of that, not with the character description we've gotten so far. Feels more cocky 2007-ish imo (which I'm not a fan of), but we'll see...
I hope I can enjoy this version of Leo. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 11-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #1725
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Most people praising all these race changes are usually white, which is even more insulting for preaching what is good for "us". I can assure you changing an established b-list character isn't doing it for them either, why not instead make a NEW character who is actually worth a damn, now that would be something I can get behind. If you're going to race swap then don't insult people and actually change the main heroes, make Steve Rogers black and Clark Kent Latino.
To be fair, they do create great new characters, but the problem is that it's very hard for a new character to get a fair shot in a crowded universe/marketplace that automatically favours older, known and already-popular characters and properties. It's great when they do catch on, and I'd like to see more of that. But the deck's stacked against them from the start.

And let's be honest, the main reason the vast majority of the biggest established superheroes are white is because most of them were created before the Civil Rights movement. It was just the automatic default, and merely having a non-white main character would be instantly controversial and was almost unheard of in the old days.

You gave Steve Rogers as an example. But context matters. Some characters' races actually are integral to how they're represented. Steve Rogers was a publicly-celebrated WWII-era hero during a very racist time, so anything else would strain believability. Also, the symbolism of a man who looks like the Aryan "ideal" punching Nazis in the face is automatically striking and important. There are a number of characters that do "need" to be white to work on their original conceptual level, but that doesn't apply to every white character. Does Peter Parker need to be white? Does Daredevil? Does The Flash, or Wonder Woman, or Aquaman? There's not as strong an argument.

Even then, generally what they do is put another character in the superhero identity for a while, rather than changing the original character themselves: Miles Morales as Spider-Man, Sam Wilson as Captain America, Jane Foster as Thor... Yet it seems that the same crowd consistently loses their minds over that, too.

Last edited by Bry; 11-05-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #1726
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
why not instead make a NEW character who is actually worth a damn
I vote daughter of an older April, be she biological or adopted. (Then we get to see Turtle uncles. Adorable.)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #1727
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I actually find Leonardo far more interesting when he's struggling to lead or doubting himself or going through angst, rather than just being the "stock leader" type of personality.

All my favorite Leonardo episodes in all 3 cartoons were the ones where he was acting out of the ordinary, either struggling with his ability to lead, getting angry, or having doubts about himself.
I found Leonardo to be the most bland Turtle in most incarnations, so when writers give him some kind of inner conflict, it's always made him more interesting.

It's kind of interesting, how, in my opinion, Leo always getting lost in shadows of other turtles. He is sort of like old Cyclops - he is a straight-laced leader and literally everyone end up being more interesting than him.

Like, Raph is a hothead, Mike is a joker (or a borderline mentally challenged idiot), Don is a genius (and the last series gave him romance with April, for all good it was). Leo ends up kind of..."personality-less", when compared to others and that's why in his solo episodes he usually shines, since they highlight the fact that there is something more, for him, than just his straight leader persona.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #1728
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's why Nick's Leo stood out so much, they made him more nerdy and down to earth and more prone to mistakes.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #1729
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
I vote daughter of an older April, be she biological or adopted. (Then we get to see Turtle uncles. Adorable.)
That I idea I like.

Of course, it means then that the father couldn't be casey, unless he was race changed, which I wouldn't like.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #1730
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

What, the kid can't be biracial?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #1731
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
What, the kid can't be biracial?
If April was white, and the kid was bi racial, the father would have to be black, yes? that would mean either a race change for casey, or someone other than casey being the father.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #1732
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Or as I said, could be adopted. Maybe they took in a girl off the streets who had no one.

Unless you alternately want a surprise twist - April and Casey break up... after April's affair. That may or may not have resulted in a kid.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #1733
Vegita-San
Emperor

technically the reverse of what happened in mirage. although casey didn't technically have an affair, I think .
Old 11-06-2017, 12:15 AM   #1734
CyberCubed
Overlord

Not that he'd say otherwise, but someone asked Rob Paulsen about the new series and he said, "It's shaping up nicely."

https://twitter.com/yakkopinky/statu...43494300966912

I'd keep my eye on Rob Paulsens twitter leading up to the new show, he's bound to drop tidbits. He's the voice director so that means he likely cast every new character in the series, so he probably knows all about the scripts and characters due to making the auditions and being in the recording studio.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #1735
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I remember when you were dead set on this being like Teen Titans Go.

I'm kinda hoping it is, because after all the ranting and raving, you'll still watch every single episode and find something good about it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 11-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #1736
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I remember when you were dead set on this being like Teen Titans Go.

I'm kinda hoping it is, because after all the ranting and raving, you'll still watch every single episode and find something good about it.
I think this is the five life cycles of cubed.

- Rant and Rave before show premiers
- Nitpick things wrong
- chase away show staff with nitpicking wrongs
- magically become shows biggest fan and trash anyone with differing opinions
-goes through two month mourning period after show ends, relives 'greatest thing ever' then forgets quickly after

right now we're at stage one...I think.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #1737
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I think this is the five life cycles of cubed.

- Rant and Rave before show premiers
- Nitpick things wrong
- chase away show staff with nitpicking wrongs
- magically become shows biggest fan and trash anyone with differing opinions
-goes through two month mourning period after show ends, relives 'greatest thing ever' then forgets quickly after

right now we're at stage one...I think.
Yep. Then there's the 'Will binge watch entire series at least once a year' phase.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #1738
CyberCubed
Overlord

As long as it's still a traditional action series and not a full blown comedy/parody show like Teen Titans Go (and from the sounds of things it won't be) it should be fine.

That being said, obviously we still can't say anything for sure till we get a trailer or see some designs.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #1739
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As long as it's still a traditional action series and not a full blown comedy/parody show like Teen Titans Go (and from the sounds of things it won't be) it should be fine.
Don't lie to yourself. Sure, you'll spend months complaining about it and saying NICK ruined the turtles, omg tmnt go, blah blah blah.

And then you're gonna start liking it and defending it, and suddenly whenever someone criticizes the show you'll but in with 'lol what? This show is comedic gold and there must be something wrong with you if you don't agree.''

And rhen you'll be demanding the show has 100 episodes.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #1740
CyberCubed
Overlord

Only if it's good. We shall see.
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters