The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #81
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag0nfeathers View Post
I'll have to watch it again to double check this, but has the word "brothers" not been mentioned either? I mean... I know it's common sense by now the turtles have always been bros but seeing they are different species in this show I wonder if that's not a coincidence they haven't made any remarks about being brothers yet... Maybe they did and I missed it. I've only watched the first 2 so far.
In ep segment 2a, its stated about them being brothers.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #82
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
As soon as I saw the description of his character, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Honestly, as of now it feels like Raph is their least favorite turtle. They could have at-least kept his sarcasm. But as of now, he's the stereotypical big guy with a heart that's a huge screw up.
As much as people are tired of '87 throwbacks, maybe at least for his sake they aught to dip back into that personality a little. (With maybe a pinch of the feistier 2003.)

Surprises me if he's being treated as the least favorite. I swear one or more people talking about this show in videos stated he was their favorites, and the moderate build up for this seemed like it was going to focus on him, but I guess maybe they didn't get to call the shots in those matters. Do producers of cartoons these days just find the dumb meathead type really that appealing?

edit: Guess I'll wait a bit to check out the other eps later on... Someone around here has decided that a noisy project is a great idea for a rainy Saturday. >.> Will comment on those later afterward.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

Raph is the try hard leader, I like what they're doing with him. Honestly I think Mikey stands out the least so far, at least if only because all the other Turtles have more dynamic personalities and now make jokes. Mikey seems a bit too quiet in this one, but we're only like 3-4ish eps in, so who knows.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #84
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Raph is the try hard leader, I like what they're doing with him. Honestly I think Mikey stands out the least so far, at least if only because all the other Turtles have more dynamic personalities and now make jokes. Mikey seems a bit too quiet in this one, but we're only like 3-4ish eps in, so who knows.
Very true. But that's just how I feel at the moment. I still await to see what happens.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #85
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I've only watched the first episode but it was just okay.

It acutally shocked me quite a bit that they just jumped straight in without an origin story. I'm not used to it but I'm find with it.

A lot of the jokes did land for me and thankfully Leo wasn't bad with the jokes in this one. I like the little glimmers of skill and leadership that Leo showed throughout the episode. Mikey was actually tolerable and I liked how they showed his artistic side. This may be the best version of Mike since the Viacom buyout, aside from IDW maybe. Maybe because Leo given the comic relief role is why most of Mike's humor isn't forced this time around but I'm happy he isn't annoying like he was in the previous toon. Can't wait to see what else they do with his creativity. Don is pretty enjoyable. He seems to be the sane one of the group. I know I said that there's not a lot going for him but after watching this episode, it may be for the better. I love how deadpan he is. Raph, I'm a bit mixed on. On one hand, I like that he's a little more relaxed than before. On the other, he really just seems like he's a big doofus. I'm afraid that when Leo becomes leader, it'll likely be at Raph's expense. Raph just seems like an utter meathead.

Splinter, not much of a fan of but I don't have much to say on him. Waiting to see what he does when he's not a slob. April...........wow, I can without a doubt say that I do not like this version of the character....at all. She not only shows up the turtles in skills for whatever reason but she acts on impulse; a reckless, kid who leaps before she looks. She has smarts but is too rambunctious. If anything, she needs more development than either of the turtles or Splinter.

Barron Draxium as a villain just seems so one dimensional. Mayhem is just sort of there. It doesn't seem like it has much purpose.

The first episode is pretty average. Neither terrible but not amazing. I wish I could watch the other episodes before the official airing.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #86
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
As much as people are tired of '87 throwbacks, maybe at least for his sake they aught to dip back into that personality a little. (With maybe a pinch of the feistier 2003.)

Surprises me if he's being treated as the least favorite. I swear one or more people talking about this show in videos stated he was their favorites, and the moderate build up for this seemed like it was going to focus on him, but I guess maybe they didn't get to call the shots in those matters. Do producers of cartoons these days just find the dumb meathead type really that appealing?

edit: Guess I'll wait a bit to check out the other eps later on... Someone around here has decided that a noisy project is a great idea for a rainy Saturday. >.> Will comment on those later afterward.
I don't think the people who work on the later shows really understand Raph's character, in my opinion he just keeps getting worse as worse as shows go on. Pish and people thought his character was awful in the 2003 version, here he's just gah. Words can not describe my annoyance towards his character in this version of the turtles, he's even more worse than 2012 Mickey's character in my opinion.

Meh, it's worth checking out the later episodes to change your view on Leo. I mean it's not my favorite of the turtle series, that goes to the 2003 series. At least they got Leo's character down though.

Last edited by Leofan26; 07-21-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #87
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm surprised you like this version of Raph, all he does is mess up and I don't even know if we can consider him a leader. He also has a bit of a show off side which isn't great seeing how much of screw up he's been in this show so far. With Leo already showing off his leadership skills I don't know if its going to change.

Last edited by Leofan26; 07-21-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #88
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofan26 View Post
I don't think the people who work on the later shows really understand Raph's character, in my opinion he just keeps getting worse as worse as shows go on. Pish and people thought his character was awful in the 2003 version, here he's just gah. Words can not describe my annoyance towards his character in this version of the turtles, he's even more worse than 2012 Mickey's character in my opinion.

Meh, it's worth checking out the later episodes to change your view on Leo. I mean it's my favorite of the turtle series, that goes to the 2003 series. At least they got Leo's character down though.
I have to agree with this. I'm not the biggest fan of his 2k3 and 2k12 interpretations, but at-least they started out well. Raphael in Rise is the only turtle I'm not really feeling :/
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #89
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Don't start, Dejablue...

Personally, I'm not going to shortchange Mikey by figuring him the redundant one as he didn't ask for someone to try to steal his shtick.

He didn't ask to be short changed...but he totally got short changed. We have 2 wise guys, and an idiot, all three sit fairly comfortably on the funny threshold. I just find that Mikey isn't finding much purchase in the funny department so for the sake of dynamics he could assume some other role.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #90
mexichrist83
Hench Mutant

I was going to completely skip this series but I had to at least watch the first episode and when I realized there were more episodes available I watched those too. This show is awful.

I understand that this crew is trying to do something different with the property but it just doesn't work for me. The magic/mystic element that has been added to the show isn't very interesting and doesn't really add anything. You could argue that it's an excuse to add more varied types of villains and mutants or settings but you could get that with mutations and dimension hopping so it just feels unnecessary. I'm assuming that this is also their excuse to get new weapons since this is more a comedy series and the real weapons are probably considered too violent for this version.

I really like the colorfulness of the show but I don't like the character designs at all. I've never liked the turtles looking bulky or overly muscular and I've never liked the head covering bandanas. Raph is easily my least favorite turtle design. Donnie, Mikey, and Leo are fine for this style but I still don't care much for them in general. I guess I just like the classic lean bodied simple look with standard over the eyes color bandanas and brown wrist/knee pads. I've loved April's design since it was first released but Splinter looks absolutely awful. The animation is fine and very fun during the action sequences which are fun to watch even if they're a bit too fast.

Honestly, this show needs to slow the hell down. It's way too fast. I was wondering how this show was going to work in 10 minute segments but since they don't really seem too focused on story arcs or any real major story telling in general it now makes sense. These are just comedic TMNT shorts with new magic elements. The humor is also not working for me either. There were only a small handful of times where I either smirked or had a heh moment. The only time I really laughed was the scene where Leo cut that worm character in half.

Raph as a character was very disappointing. I was curious to see how he'd be as the leader and they just made him a buffoon. Donnie's characterization is actually the only one of the turtles that really worked. Leo is strange. He's like a mix of what Mikey should be and what Leo could/should be. Mikey is the one that feels off the worst. I'm glad that they didn't make him a less than smart character but he doesn't feel like the funny party dude he should be. All of their voices are fine but Mikey's voice doesn't work at all but for how different his character feels it kind of makes sense. Splinter is easily the worst character in the show so far. This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I really like this April. She's probably my favorite character on the show. Her spunky attitude especially when faced with danger makes her really endearing to me. I've never had a problem with her being made to be sort of a fifth turtle and while 2012 tried to do that I have to admit that they dropped the ball on that but this version seems to be doing it way better. This leads me to a major problem with these turtles that brings me back to one of the reasons why I absolutely hated Turtles Forever. Their complete incompetence as fighters really turned me off to them. If this show is trying to go the route of building up their skills as the show goes on I'd be fine with that but 2012 did it better. Their two major battles in the first episode was just embarrassing and pathetic to watch and if the show isn't going to bother with the origin story or introduction to April then why bother building up their fighting skills?

After watching these episodes in the end I just ended up feeling very apathetic and a bit annoyed that we lost the 2012 series for this. I'm not angered by it or anything. This series just doesn't work for me so those who are enjoying can have it.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:40 PM   #91
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

I have three things to say:

1) The adult in me doesn't mind much that this starts up mid-action, but why even include the "Rise of the" part in the title of they're going that direction. It seems the rise is really them going from athletic but undisciplined and nonchalant buffoons, to more concerned heroes.

2) Where exactly was April better at fighting than the Turtles? If that was specifically referencing the first episode, I remember her being agile but awkward.

3) The "everyone is Mikey" trope, as Turtles Forever put it--although I think the Jim Henson movies also had that pretty bad--can get really old really fast. It's better if they're good at writing jokes, but as people said, we've spent so long with Michelangelo being reduced to a comedic caricature with askew priorities that he virtually disappears when everyone's funny and has askew priorities.
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #92
Danetello
Stone Warrior

Did anyone else pick up on the fact that Leo called himself LEON at one point? It was clear as day, and I even went back with subtitles to check.

Danetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #93
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I certainly thought it was interesting in all three versions. All of them sort of fitting their general roles. Raph is clearly not cut out for the leadership role, but he at least gives it some effort, though Leo is about 40% more effective in that role with how he motivates his bros in "Origami Tsunami"

With Donnie I'm not surprised he decided to stay with his normal tech bo. In most versions, Donnie is more resistant to mystical and spiritual practices and weapons than his brothers. Such as the staff he was given in the monster arc of the last incarnation. He had to convince himself to believe in its power in order for it to work.

But I don't think this will be the only time we will see his mystic bo, he will need it eventually. And there is also that crystal he picked up as well.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #94
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Leon? Yup...

And my reaction was basically

Leave the other possible nicknames to the fans and stick to the usual.

Same goes for you.... Michael. (Granted it was Donnie that said it, twice.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #95
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Leon? Yup...

And my reaction was basically

https://78.media.tumblr.com/42a7fa2a...89N1qz4rgp.gif

Leave the other possible nicknames to the fans and stick to the usual.

Same goes for you.... Michael. (Granted it was Donnie that said it, twice.)
Oh come on, at least they didn't say Ralph or Donald.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #96
Vicky82
Emperor

Donnie called Mikey, Michael in Repo Mantis.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #97
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Donnie called Mikey, Michael in Repo Mantis.

He called him Michael in Owari (2012) too but I think it was just that one time. I find Leon a little more odd but I suppose is you shorten by spelling, just not usual.

Last edited by newfan; 07-21-2018 at 03:35 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #98
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
He called him Michael in Owari (2012) too but I think it was just that one time.
Yeah it was the only time, maybe calling Mikey Michael was Ant Wards idea in the 2012 show and decided to use it in this show.

The oozesquitos being released in he 1st episode reminded me of the Turtles in the 2012 show losing the mutagen canisters in 1st episode of season 2.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #99
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexichrist83 View Post
I was going to completely skip this series but I had to at least watch the first episode and when I realized there were more episodes available I watched those too. This show is awful.

I understand that this crew is trying to do something different with the property but it just doesn't work for me. The magic/mystic element that has been added to the show isn't very interesting and doesn't really add anything. You could argue that it's an excuse to add more varied types of villains and mutants or settings but you could get that with mutations and dimension hopping so it just feels unnecessary. I'm assuming that this is also their excuse to get new weapons since this is more a comedy series and the real weapons are probably considered too violent for this version.

I really like the colorfulness of the show but I don't like the character designs at all. I've never liked the turtles looking bulky or overly muscular and I've never liked the head covering bandanas. Raph is easily my least favorite turtle design. Donnie, Mikey, and Leo are fine for this style but I still don't care much for them in general. I guess I just like the classic lean bodied simple look with standard over the eyes color bandanas and brown wrist/knee pads. I've loved April's design since it was first released but Splinter looks absolutely awful. The animation is fine and very fun during the action sequences which are fun to watch even if they're a bit too fast.

Honestly, this show needs to slow the hell down. It's way too fast. I was wondering how this show was going to work in 10 minute segments but since they don't really seem too focused on story arcs or any real major story telling in general it now makes sense. These are just comedic TMNT shorts with new magic elements. The humor is also not working for me either. There were only a small handful of times where I either smirked or had a heh moment. The only time I really laughed was the scene where Leo cut that worm character in half.

Raph as a character was very disappointing. I was curious to see how he'd be as the leader and they just made him a buffoon. Donnie's characterization is actually the only one of the turtles that really worked. Leo is strange. He's like a mix of what Mikey should be and what Leo could/should be. Mikey is the one that feels off the worst. I'm glad that they didn't make him a less than smart character but he doesn't feel like the funny party dude he should be. All of their voices are fine but Mikey's voice doesn't work at all but for how different his character feels it kind of makes sense. Splinter is easily the worst character in the show so far. This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I really like this April. She's probably my favorite character on the show. Her spunky attitude especially when faced with danger makes her really endearing to me. I've never had a problem with her being made to be sort of a fifth turtle and while 2012 tried to do that I have to admit that they dropped the ball on that but this version seems to be doing it way better. This leads me to a major problem with these turtles that brings me back to one of the reasons why I absolutely hated Turtles Forever. Their complete incompetence as fighters really turned me off to them. If this show is trying to go the route of building up their skills as the show goes on I'd be fine with that but 2012 did it better. Their two major battles in the first episode was just embarrassing and pathetic to watch and if the show isn't going to bother with the origin story or introduction to April then why bother building up their fighting skills?

After watching these episodes in the end I just ended up feeling very apathetic and a bit annoyed that we lost the 2012 series for this. I'm not angered by it or anything. This series just doesn't work for me so those who are enjoying can have it.
^ All of this! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #100
Dragnskull
Stone Warrior

Note: only watched first episode

Reading through this thread I'm shocked theres so many people for this version. I'm also shocked apparently I get to be the one to say some of the following:

1. I hate this april. I'm not a big fan of changing things just to change it, and I'm even less a fan of changing things just to be "inclusive", ie making black april with a slightly stereotypical "black girl with a bit of ghetto/spunky attitude".

This bugged me to the point of being unable to focus any time she was on screen and talking. This simply is *not* april, it doesn't feel anything like april in any form. They should have just axed april and given this girl a completely different persona if they were going to do things this way. Perhaps they could have made april have cameos throughout the series via being a news reporter on TV that makes quips that are nods to the past incarnations, that would make this bug me less because adding a new character > butchering a standard one.

2. speaking of butchering a standard one, Ohh my god what did they do to splinter??? I don't think I really even need to go into detail here because everyone seems to be on board with me here. Fat lazy slob? Come onnnnnnnnnn

3. Raph being the leader isn't as jarring as I expected, because they seem to not really be serious about making anyone a leader and instead are giving each turtle (and april) equal amounts of screen time, talking time, and suggestion offering. I'm not suggesting this is a good thing because (3B).

3B. Someone already touched on this but I'm going to expand- Instead of having individual personality traits, we are now dealing with a primary trait of "comedic relief" across the board for every single main character, with a secondary trait that slightly hints at their personal personality. Don seems to be the strongest one and i think it was an accident because it seems like they really didn't even mean to do that. The 4 turtles (and april...) are all extremely lacking in anything interesting and its replaced by silly haha funny antics. April is probably the worst off, either shes doing something silly, being stupid and aggressive (trying to fight but accomplishing nothing, etc), or giving a pointless line just we can hear her stereotypical black female voice.

Or perhaps splinter is worst off as I've not seen him do anything BUT get 60 seconds to showcase how lazy and fat he is...

4. I really wish they would have kept their original weapons and done something like the power rangers calling on their zords every episode (when big fights occur they use their magic weapons) but ehh, I think the biggest bother to me is raphs stupid tonfas. I wasn't a fan when TNM gave mikey tonfas, not a fan of it now.

Thank you don for sticking with ur original bo, even if it is a ridiculously overpowered to the point of absurdity item

Final thoughts: I've watched every episode of every incarnation of TMNT to date and legitimately enjoyed every one. This first episode hurt, a lot. If it doesn't start winning me over in the coming episodes this is probably going to be the first incarnation that I *don't* keep up with. I'm not a fan of the character changes, I'm not a fan of the concepts and changes implemented, I'm not a fan of them being magic based instead of science(fiction) based.

Heck, my primary interest with TMNT is the cartoons and the toys, and I'm not even eager to see any of the shown toys on shelves nor add any to my collection thus far. This is a huge strikeout for me so far and I pray it doesn't last long before we get a new one.

PS: For the love of god nick if this does fail (which it may not given the verdicts in this thread I admit) please don't throw this in a vault and forget about it. The 2012 show was a home run, learn from the mistake and try again, soon!
Dragnskull is offline   Reply With Quote