The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Krypton

A new show from DC is reportedly in active development that, judging from the title, many speculate will act as a prequel for Superman taking place on Krypton:

Quote:
After breaking news that WB was developing a Supergirl TV show and that Fox was developing an X-Men TV show, both of which were later confirmed by other sources, Bleeding Cool is now reporting that a show titled Krypton is in active development with David Goyer attached.

Details about the potential show are scarce, but the name implies that the show may be pre-Superman, similiar to how Fox's smash hit Gotham is pre-Batman, and may involve the House of El, possibly Brainiac too. Goyer, as many of you know, is no stranger to Superman's world, having written the screenplay for 2013's Man of Steel, which spent extensive time on Krypton and showed the alien world prior to its destruction.

Although, Krypton would likely be WB's first (or second depending on when Supergirl arrives) Superman tale that would most likely not feature Superman in any capacity, it wouldn't be their first pre-Superman story, already having produced the Emmy-winning Smallville, which ran for 10 seasons and starred Tom Welling as Clark Kent and Erica Durance as Lois Lane.

This would mark Goyer's second DC Comics television adaptation after NBC's Constantine. In addition to his TV commitments, Goyer will also be busy for the next few years with his commitments to Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League Parts One & Two.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...10016#comments

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

At least with this show we know how it ends. Everyone dies!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

David S. Goyer? Not interested.

Fav Quote - 87 Leo: "TURTLES FIGHT WITH HONOUR!"
Fav Series - 2012 Nickelodeon
Fav Game - Out of the Shadows
Fav Comic - IDW Series
Fav Movie - Liebesman's TMNT (2014)
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
raph27
Mad Scientist

uuuuuuugh.

GIVE US ACTUAL SUPER HEROES! NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE SIDE CHARACTERS!
On another note, when did Fox announce an X-Men show? I'd watch that.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I just want to see men and women in spandex beating up criminals in back alleys...

Apparently too much to ask for.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Commenter 42
Banned

I hate Goyer more than I hate Liebesman or Uwe Boll, or Nolan.

I love the idea of a show about Krypton, but Goyer is the last person I'd want attached.

FML.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Slade
god status

As much as I love Superman. I'd rather them retry something like Smallville than do a show about Krypton. At least with Gotham, Bruce is there.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
snake
Disgusting

It won't be that bad.

R-right?

RIGHT?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaeltheAwesome View Post
uuuuuuugh.

GIVE US ACTUAL SUPER HEROES! NOBODY CARES ABOUT THE SIDE CHARACTERS!
Stop and think how "The System" works for a second. If you're unfamiliar, it's more or less: "Why would we give the 'Big' super-heroes away on free TV? Who would pay theater prices to see a movie with these characters if they can stay home and see them on free TV?" Live-action super-hero-related TV shows are advertisements for the feature films, nothing more. They can "get away" with shows about Green Arrow and Flash because, "Nobody cares about those characters" and it's less of a risk to develop a TV show than a multi-million-dollar film that may flop.

A "real" live-action show with either Superman or Batman? I seriously don't think we're ever gonna see that again, at least not for a long, long time. Execs from WB have stated publicly, many, many times, they want to save their "Big Guns" for the movies. They have a half dozen movies starring both characters in the pipe for the next 5 years. Having two separate "universes" starring the same characters running parallel to each other would confuse the audience, and if people didn't like the TV show(s), they'd in turn be less likely to pay money to see a movie with those characters, even if it's an entirely different universe.

It sounds dumb, but honestly, history has proven them right. Their approach is the right way to go, even if it's frustrating to us fans. I, myself, would love a "proper" Superman show, but I've long since made peace with the fact it can't happen. It's business.

Honestly, Krypton itself, to me, is the thing about the mythology I"m least interested in. In my head, Kal-El's story begins when he lands in Kansas, everything before that is backstory and exposition and I'm not really into it. The show could be good, but it also could simply be "Game Of Thrones" in outer space. I'll check it out, could very well turn out okay, I'm just never super-enthusiastic about Krypton in general. You can tell the producers are just searching for any part of the Superman lore that hasn't been done to death already.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

This just makes me sick. Why would anyone want to watch a show where everyone will die by the last episode? Talk about depressing going into it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Wish it were based on Kandor instead.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

It'sofficial

Quote:
Syfy is turning to David S. Goyer — the man behind The Man of Steel — to develop Superman origin story Krypton, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

From Warner Horizon Television and DC Comics, Krypton takes place years before the Superman legend we know, when the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This drama, which is in development, follows the Man of Steel's grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.

Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time, FlashForward) will pen the script and exec produce alongside Goyer. The story was conceived by both Goyer and Goldberg.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...uperman-755060

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

So Krypton isn't about Jor El JR (superman's father) but about Jor-El SR (superman's grandfather).

Jor-El sr was the father of Jor-El Jr, Zor-El (Kara's father), and Zim-El (Zor's twin. His son, Don-El, became the leader of Kandor).

Pre-COIE Jor-El sr was the one who discovered Krypton was dying and had visited earth a couple times.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Considering what we've seen of Krypton in the NuVerse, I'll pass.
Give me a show that focuses on Superman's Mom and maybe...maybe I'd be interested. But more of what we've already seen? No dice.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Give me a show that focuses on Superman's Mom and maybe...maybe I'd be interested.
Wow, first time in history anybody put out that particular request. Her role is usually "Can't we just keep him and blow up together as a family instead?" How are they gonna expand on that, exactly?

Anyways, I'll probably check this out but I'm not super-intrigued. I can honestly say, I've given absolutely zero thought to "Kal-El's grandfather" in my entire life until just now. They're gonna have a hell of a time finding ways to keep it going without being able to use too many familiar characters from the mythology, though. I mean, the books have had a ton of Kryptonian characters but how many viewers will know who Dev-Em or Quex-Ul or whoever is? It's not like on "Gotham" where just about anybody can watch it and go, "Oh, neat, that guy's gonna be The Riddler." There's going to be a fairly big disconnect from the audience if they can't fall on the old "familiar character" gimmick that these shows rely so heavily on.

I'unno, it's whatever, I'll check it out.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Just another lackluster show trying to cash-in on the current live-action superhero craze. Ugh, when will it end?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Wow, first time in history anybody put out that particular request. Her role is usually "Can't we just keep him and blow up together as a family instead?" How are they gonna expand on that, exactly?
No way, man! In Man of Steel, which I assume is what this is going to draw from, she was the first woman in 10,000 generations or something to get pregnant and have a kid.

And instead of focusing on the awesome achievement of THAT, we watched her husband testify before Congress. Then that self-centered ass didn't even program her into the ship carrying their baby to another planet.

That movie was gross. Just all and out gross. If I didn't already dislike Superman, I would after seeing that nightmare.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

I... disagree.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
Electric
Epic Hiatus

Going pre-hero in Gotham is one thing. Bruce is there, most villains origins can be covered, and we're still seeing the growth of batman and Gotham that we know.

With this, not only is superman not born, but he's 2 generations out. Add in that only some of his villains actually come from krypton, lex Luther not being one of them, and that we probably won't even recognize most characters.

I'm gonna pass. I've got arrow and flash and Gotham to fill my super hero needs, maybe I'll take a look into the xmen show. Oh and I've got batman v superman, and the suicide squad movie to look forward to.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #20
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Well there could still be familiar characters. Jor El Sr was a scientist who often visited earth (it was his fave planet for some weird reason). Also, we don't know how old his sons will be so we'll see kid versions of Zod and crew.

Tags
cuckton, unpredictable!