The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 08-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Is it normal to just like a few bands/artists?

I just like around 10-15 bands/artists. It's hard to get into anything else, though I like some songs by artists such as Oasis, Nirvana, REM, Timbaland, etc. I need to like the singer's voice as well as the lyrics and overall sound.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think most people only like a few bands and artists so you fall in the "normal" scale. Especially the older people get the less they look out for new stuff.

I think that's awful though, there is so much amazing music out there that you're missing out by not wanting to experiment and go outside your current tastes. The bands that you mention are only the tips of the ice berg, there's much more amazing stuff out there.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
snake
Disgusting

I listen to new stuff daily, but I only have a handful of "favorites", whether it be artists or albums. I don't blame you for Nirvana though, In Utero is a great album. Hopefully you're listening to their full albums and not just their singles.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I listen to well over 400 different artists, personally. I think it's weird to not wanna broaden your horizons or to only like 90's alternative rock for the most part, but it's not weird weird, just uncommon. Like sdp said, there's just SO much out there...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Well, my favourite bands/artists are from most decades such as Bob Marley, Tom Jones, The Saw Doctors, Nelly Furtado, Bad Religion, The Corrs and Neil Diamond. I should've said that first.

I agree that there is so much music out there, as there is a lot of choice nowadays.

Last edited by Wesley; 08-23-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I just like around 10-15 bands/artists. It's hard to get into anything else, though I like some songs by artists such as Oasis, Nirvana, REM, Timbaland, etc. I need to like the singer's voice as well as the lyrics and overall sound.
I don't think "weird" is the right adjective. Seems a bit harsh to call you weird for liking 10-15 bands/artists and all of them being mainstream. No way society will deem you weird for liking the artists you've listed.

And 10-15 seems enough artists to like, especially if they have sizeable discographies. And even if it was a lower number than average, it still wouldn't make you "weird". I once knew a guy who only listened to Leonard Cohen. And by that I mean it was literally THE ONLY artist he liked. He refused to listen to anything else. I'd say that's a lot more unusual. Still wouldn't call it "weird", but it's definitely a little strange. Doesn't make it wrong, though. But I wonder why Leonard Cohen was the only musician he liked. First and only time I've met someone who only liked a single musician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think most people only like a few bands and artists so you fall in the "normal" scale. Especially the older people get the less they look out for new stuff.

I think that's awful though, there is so much amazing music out there that you're missing out by not wanting to experiment and go outside your current tastes. The bands that you mention are only the tips of the ice berg, there's much more amazing stuff out there.
If Wesley is satisfied with the music he listens to, then let him be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I listen to well over 400 different artists, personally. I think it's weird to not wanna broaden your horizons or to only like 90's alternative rock for the most part, but it's not weird weird, just uncommon. Like sdp said, there's just SO much out there...
Might just be confirmation bias on my part, but the "sticking to one genre" of music seems more common among three types of people: metalheads, hip-hop fans and classic rock fans. Those 3 genres seem to have the largest amount of the "only listen to one genre" type of fan. In the case of metal it's because the genre has a ton of variety and you can easily build a massive library if you only listen to it. Maybe the same applies to hip-hop and classic rock as well. Also, a lot of the big fans of such genres get into them when they're teenagers and get immersed in the sub-culture and want a place to fit in. Eventually some of them venture into other stuff or outgrow that kind of music.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote