The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #41
MarsicornYT
Foot Soldier

That episode was so good!!! I'm so glad they remember'd about Raph's shell being cracked, cause that was probably one of my favourite bits of thr episode.

I also noticed that the Kraang in this episode seemed less advanced here, than in previous episodes. That's really cool. Like their guns didn't have chainsaws on them like usual, the Kraang's bodys couldn't turn in all directions at the same time, like the bottom half changed first then the rest of the body moved. Idk I just thought since it was like 10 years in the past it was a cool little thing they did.

Last edited by MarsicornYT; 08-14-2017 at 12:24 AM.
MarsicornYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 AM   #42
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Also, just a little side-note, did anyone find it odd that the episode didn't start with the present day turtles talking about their past and establishing the scene?

If it weren't for the theme song and I was shown this episode without having watched the Nick show, I wouldve thought this was the 1st episode of the series. Heck, Anyone who plans the marathons the show in the future could start with this episode instead of the season 1 premiere.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #43
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

Watched this one the Rise of the Turtles. Doesnt seem to be any continuity errors watching this as the 1st episode. All Splinter says about the Kraang is angrily "And you Let them get away?!"
Enscripture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 AM   #44
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Also, just a little side-note, did anyone find it odd that the episode didn't start with the present day turtles talking about their past and establishing the scene?
I think a framing scene would have been cool. Even if it was just Leo looking at a picture of Splinter and closing his eyes to meditate.

But that would have just taken screen time from the flashback. I thought it was perfectly plotted and paced. And we all know that's not always easy for a 22 minute program.

Quote:

If it weren't for the theme song and I was shown this episode without having watched the Nick show, I wouldve thought this was the 1st episode of the series. Heck, Anyone who plans the marathons the show in the future could start with this episode instead of the season 1 premiere.
I could see that. But like I said, it looses a lot of impact if you don't watch it after Tale of the Yokai and Requiem/Owari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enscripture View Post
Watched this one the Rise of the Turtles. Doesnt seem to be any continuity errors watching this as the 1st episode. All Splinter says about the Kraang is angrily "And you Let them get away?!"
I was also compelled to watch the pilot later yesterday.

I guess you just have to assume that Splinter never really described the aliens he fought since no one believed Mikey when he saw a robot with a brain in its chest.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #45
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I was also compelled to watch the pilot later yesterday.

I guess you just have to assume that Splinter never really described the aliens he fought since no one believed Mikey when he saw a robot with a brain in its chest.
But he did explain they were machines and that they were aliens in disguise, so it's still a contradiction.

Not that I really mind that much since this is probably one of the best episodes of the show, that and it's not like it's nearly the worst of the inconsistencies in the show.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #46
THGhost
Puppet Master

Only just got round to watching this and episode 9 due to the confusing episode numbers caused by some sites classifying When Worlds Collide as either 1 episode or 2 episodes.
  • The turtles as toddlers are so cute!
  • A slightly different origin story. I like it.
  • "Written by Kevin Eastman". Awww yeah!
  • The turtles as babies are even cuter!
  • You can tell which one is Mikey ^_^
  • That Doctor Who reference was a bit on the nose.

Man, this episode really put Splinter through the ringer. It was nice to see him again, and the Kraang, and New York.

This is one of my favourite episodes of the entire series. It almost brought me to tears.

Eastman managed to write a better origin story than the recent movies did. When is Hollywood going to learn and just let him or someone else close to the franchise write the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
I could not tell: Which turtle activated the water outlet when everyone was at the bottom of the water?
Was it Donnie? Sometimes I can not recognize them
I couldn't even tell what they were doing, never mind which turtle it was.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #47
Vicky82
Emperor

Just a little thought

I know we all consider Mikey the youngest, but as Donnie didn't have any teeth and Splinter named him first, I wonder if Donnie is the youngest turtle and not Mikey.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #48
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Just a little thought

I know we all consider Mikey the youngest, but as Donnie didn't have any teeth and Splinter named him first, I wonder if Donnie is the youngest turtle and not Mikey.
Surely it's just a malformation of the denture. I think there's a certain video from Nickelodeon telling a comic of them training with Splinter and overcoming psychological tests, and in that story it says Leo is the older, Raph the second, Donnie the third and Mikey the younger one.
Edit: I found the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkL3scmD8Y

On the other hand, Kevin Eastman said on Reddit Donnie was the second older, but if the comic of Nick.com is canon, Donnie is the third one in the 2k12 universe.

Last edited by Redworld96; 08-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #49
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
Surely it's just a malformation of the denture. I think there's a certain video from Nickelodeon telling a comic of them training with Splinter and overcoming psychological tests, and in that story it says Leo is the older, Raph the second, Donnie the third and Mikey the younger one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkL3scmD8Y

On the other hand, Kevin Eastman said on Reddit Donnie was the second older, but if the comic of Nick.com is canon, Donnie is the third one in the 2k12 universe.
Yeah i'm not 100% on teething babies so your probably right with malformation of the denture thing.

It was just a small thought.

As Mikey is the youngest, There were couple of other things that Mikey seemed to develop faster than the others

He was able to stand and balance on a skate, while the others were still crawling, even Leo had trouble standing up on his own as he kept losing his balance.
Mikey was almost able to say Yum.
He certainly wasn't the runt because he was able to get the food first.

Last edited by Vicky82; 08-14-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Fun fact: This is the first time Splinter told us how he named the Turtles in this series. I always found it weird the early Season 1 eps skipped over how the Turtles got their names, and they waited all the way till now to do it.

One other thing though, they never did explain how Yoshi got called, "Splinter" as his nickname. Since Shredder called him Splinter too, I think they must have named him that when they were war buddies if that picture in that Season 1 episode is any indication. But they still never directly said that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #51
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Fun fact: This is the first time Splinter told us how he named the Turtles in this series. I always found it weird the early Season 1 eps skipped over how the Turtles got their names, and they waited all the way till now to do it.

One other thing though, they never did explain how Yoshi got called, "Splinter" as his nickname. Since Shredder called him Splinter too, I think they must have named him that when they were war buddies if that picture in that Season 1 episode is any indication. But they still never directly said that.
i wouldn't call them war buddies I would say they were likely part of the Japanese Self defense force.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #52
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

The war buddy photo is itself kind of weird, it just raises more questions than it answers. What war was it? Why what army did they serve in? How old were they? How does it relate to ninja clan crap? I think they might have had different ideas of what their backstory was in season 1 and they were for some odd reason ignored in season 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
i wouldn't call them war buddies I would say they were likely part of the Japanese Self defense force.
Even if we just assume they were in the military without ever serving in a war (which I don't buy, nobody ever writes a character with a military past without serving in combat unless it's for a joke) it still kind of clashes with the whole ninja clan thing.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #53
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The war buddy photo is itself kind of weird, it just raises more questions than it answers. What war was it? Why what army did they serve in? How old were they? How does it relate to ninja clan crap? I think they might have had different ideas of what their backstory was in season 1 and they were for some odd reason ignored in season 3.

Even if we just assume they were in the military without ever serving in a war (which I don't buy, nobody ever writes a character with a military past without serving in combat unless it's for a joke) it still kind of clashes with the whole ninja clan thing.
It was likely they were part of the JSDF for training purposes. Such as training to hone their combat skills. Or maybe even teaching stealth techniques.

http://images05.military.com/media/n...x600-ts600.jpg
Old 08-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well what war could Yoshi/Saki have been in? Since they look like they were in their 20's then, and in the current time they were in their mid/late 30's I guess, what war was it?

Does the Nick show in-universe start in 2012? So then 15 years prior it would be the 90's. Japan didn't have any major wars in the 90's.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:48 PM   #55
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post

I think the only two reasons we know they were in the military is to know that:

1.) They had experience honing their fighting skills even outside their dojo, making them as strong and skiled as they are in the series.

2.) How they were once very close brothers and their experiences together being in the army only strengthened their bond.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #56
ToTheNines
[sic]

I also noticed the local Chinese place was called Shanghai Sternin's Stirfry. Was that a deliberate season 1 reference or has that been there the whole time and I've just missed it?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #57
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:

No, he explained that he named them after Renaissance artists in the season 2 episode "The Good, The Bad, and Casey Jones." However, this is the first time we have learned that he wanted to be an artist as a child and that was why he liked the artists of the Renaissance.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #58
Faster and Cheaper
Thug

Fun episode and super cute. I know people were a little off put at first but I was pretty confident that people would turn around and see how cute they were.

This was the first red team episode, team Raphael to be exact. Long overdue as this was the first episode worked on after the Kavaxas arc. They did a great job and they got another episode to come. From my own experience I slightly helped out here. Nothing big as usual but I remember some specific shots that I helped with layout or fixes and a few other minor stuff.

The action was good as usual and it was great to see Splinter for the last time. And we got to see a lot of sides to him in the half hour which is great. His strength, his fears, regrets, humor, and kindness. I haven't watched the pilot in a long time and I remember thinking when I first saw the rough cut of this episode way back when and thought it might muddy continuity. But it seems that isn't too much of the case.
Faster and Cheaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
No, he explained that he named them after Renaissance artists in the season 2 episode "The Good, The Bad, and Casey Jones." However, this is the first time we have learned that he wanted to be an artist as a child and that was why he liked the artists of the Renaissance.
I must have completely forgot about that then. After the Nick show ends I'm going to have to marathon through all 5 seasons at once, I really need to give the show a proper viewing again when it's all said and done.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #60
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Did anyone else tear up when the Turtles were swimming Splinter to their new home? It just gave me shades of the end of "Requiem" when the Guys were all carrying Splinter back to the Shellraiser. It almost seemed like a "full circle" moment to me.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote