The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #1001
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Did the writers of Turtles Forever even watch any Fred Wold episodes for reference?
Apparently, since they got some obscure details that slipped by even us hardcores. Remember when everyone was all, "when the shell did they install a telephone-booth elevator?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Barrett View Post
Personally, I could have easily seen a tickle ray episode happening in the Fred Wolf series.. >_>
I'm surprised (but not disappointed) that there never was one.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #1002
CyberCubed
Overlord

How is tickle/giggle ray for a Krang scheme not acceptable?

This is the same Krang who:

a) Made a love potion for the Turtles so they all fall in love with Irma instead of stopping his plan

b) Made anti-mutagen into cookies to turn Mike into a human

c) Made a fake island with treasure so he could launch all the old toon mobsters into the stratosphere for no reason

d) Made a "fear-alizer" to make the Turtles into cowards

This all happens in the OT. Krang had some really ridiculous inventions during some portions of the show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #1003
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
c) Made a fake island with treasure so he could launch all the old toon mobsters into the stratosphere for no reason.
When did this happen? I seriously have no recollection of that...
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #1004
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

The island was on a large collection of weather balloons. He lured Mad Dog McMutt, Don Turtelli among others to it looking for treasure, then he was gonna release the balloons and send it into the sky.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #1005
CyberCubed
Overlord

It happens in "Adventures in Turtle-sitting," where the 3 turtles get turned to kids.

For the record we see Big Louie, Pinky McFingers, Mad Dog Mcmutt, etc all digging for treasure on the fake island.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #1006
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It happens in "Adventures in Turtle-sitting," where the 3 turtles get turned to kids.

For the record we see Big Louie, Pinky McFingers, Mad Dog Mcmutt, etc all digging for treasure on the fake island.
Ah... a "baby turtles" episode. That explains why I wouldn't remember it lol
Old 10-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #1007
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I know I just mentioned it in Cubed's thread about mutations, but i gotta ask it here: Did the FW series ever call Krang and Shredder's mutagen "ooze" or was it just TF that decided to call it ooze? And how often did the Turtles in fact fight "ole Bucket Breath" for it? Maybe for components, but not the completed ooze...er...mutagen.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #1008
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Did the FW series ever call Krang and Shredder's mutagen "ooze"
No .

Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #1009
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
No .
What, no discussion?

Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #1010
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
What, no discussion?
Nah .

Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #1011
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Nah .
Wiseguy .

Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #1012
gobo
Wacky Action

Quote:
Wiseguy .
Well, if you're gonna twist my arm...

I'm assuming since FWF maintains the rights to the show, but not the characters, that means they actually own the plot. So, my guess is that this is why they had to throw in subtle differences to differentiate "1988" Turtles from the "1987". This way, the "parody" defense would apply, and litigation would be unlikely.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #1013
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Well, if you're gonna twist my arm...

I'm assuming since FWF maintains the rights to the show, but not the characters, that means they actually own the plot. So, my guess is that this is why they had to throw in subtle differences to differentiate "1988" Turtles from the "1987". This way, the "parody" defense would apply, and litigation would be unlikely.
I figured they cleared this with FW. Then again, if they did that, why ask fans for the model sheets and not FW themselves.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #1014
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher

I love this movie! 80's Shredder made the film for me. Anytime he popped up I'd burst out laughing!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #1015
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Well, considering how much I enjoyed this special, I never really posted much on it. That being said, I wanted to just put down my thoughts in a nutshell. Obviously, this is just my opinion so feel free to disagree all you want Though, I will say right off the bat that I tend to like both the 2k3 and the classic shows just about the same. Can't say much for the Mirage as I haven't read the comics.

Okay, right from get go, I WILL say that I believe they exaggerated the 80s turtles. Did they go crazy and overexaggerate them? Eh, not so much but they WERE exaggerated. My main gripe though wasn't this but was rather the fact that they all acted very similiar, except Donatello. I would have loved to see their more individual personalities come forth.

Michelangelo was a goof-off yes but they also showed in several episodes that he was a sensitive animal/kid loving type, who would worry about people close to him. Raphael, eh, they got him about right, except he and Michelangelo usually had their teasing bits back and forth. Donatello, well, he was about right too except for the lack of techno babble. No, he didn't have as much as 2k3 Don but he had some. I will say too, that I loved the fact they gave him such a big part in this. Him inventing a portal stick sounds exactly like something he would do...given that this was the same Donatello who built a dimensional portal and a clock that froze time... Leonardo, well, I would have liked to see more of a "leader" bit from him. He was usually the one that the others had to tell to "lighten up" or "stop being a downer" so the fact that this aspect of his personality was glazed over was a bit of a disappointment. And yes, I very much missed his trademark "Turtles fight with honor!" line.

In reference to their giggling fits and noogies and what not, I'd rationalize that by saying that it wouldn't have surprised me if BeBop and Rocksteady had already "borrowed" Krang's giggle ray that he mentions in the end and zapped them with it by accident. Would be just like them to goof up like that and it wouldn't be the first personality altering ray that the classic series came up with.

Loved the plot overall. Very creative way to show us all the different dimensions. I give major props to all the animators and writers for including the little details we all remember from the old series. (I, for one, went back to my old DVDs to remember that phonebooth elevator)

I also found that both the 2k3 and classic turtles were equally useful in battles, just in different ways. Classic Donatello is the one who really came up with the portal stick and how to track the Shredder. The 2k3 Turtles ruled with the physical action but I loved seeing the slapstick action of the classics work in its own way too. They kept the team work of the old turtles, which is nice to see recognized. The Classic Turtles tossing the exploding throwing stars at the end in the Mirage universe which stops Utrom Shredder from crushing the Mirage Turtles and thus the universal wipe-out...nice bit of recognition for my childhood turtles.

The way that both universe's Splinters would not tolerate the fighting and embraced that BOTH sets of turtles were their "sons/students" was a nice touch, very much in character for both characters. As much as it would have been interesting to see those two interact, it didn't happen that way. Though, I wonder if the 2k3 would have seen their counterparts change attitude if it had been Classic Splinter taken. That usually got them to focus.

The different fighting styles among the turtles also made me go back and look at my old DVD, both 2k3 and Classic. These viewings made me realize something else, though this may just be my interpretation. It really looks like the 2k3 Turtles can operate very well individually. The Classic Turtles depend more on each other to help them fight, with the possible exception of Leonardo (seems no matter what universe, Leonardo can hand someone's shell to them)

Overall, I really loved it. I personally would not have minded a few episodes of this, of the turtles learning about one another's dimensions and perhaps learning a few lessons from each other. Their interactions and reactions totally carried this special.

Ulisa
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #1016
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphroehler2003 View Post
While scanning through this, it all sounds extremely interesting. Unfortunately I don't have the channel, so I'm not able to watch it that way.

I can only hope that this comes out on DVD so I can see this quote "epic" movie. lol I'm so jealous of you guys
This movie is really good and the turtles from the original show stay true to their personality. 87's Raph had some pretty funny lines!
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #1017
CyberCubed
Overlord

So I am going to place an order for the uncut version, should I order the UK one or the Australian one?

Since I have a region free player, is that all I need for them to play here? Will the PAL picture come in fine otherwise?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #1018
ToTheNines
[sic]

UK. it has the better box-art, plus shipping should be cheaper. And yeah, as long as you broke the region code, it should look great.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #1019
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

How much bonus footage is in the uncut version. I thought I remembered reading 8 minutes, is that correct?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #1020
ToTheNines
[sic]

I wouldn't say it has 8 minutes of "bonus" footage. More like the US version has 8 minutes of the movie removed from it for no reason.

Tags
4kids, episode discussion, fred wolf series