The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #41
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
...I think I may have that Scarlet Witch super-power where stuff I say out loud comes true...
Dude, then shut up already!!! TMNT 1 was bad enough without you speaking more abomination into existence!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #42
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I know, right? We need to get some pseudo optimism in here or something.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #43
Leolead
Stone Warrior

No negative people are allowed in this thread.

Kidding. lol.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #44
Commenter 42
Banned

Maybey the can open PDMT 2 with the "It was all a bad dream" cliche.

It might be the only time it would be acceptable to do so.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 AM   #45
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That could work... They all wake up with a start (at least one of them falling out of bed), having all just had some sci-fi-ish shared dream and they've never really left the lair before. lol Then proceed to alien/alien-Shredder story line that had some connection to it.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:58 AM   #46
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Spoiler:

Leo needs to look more like this.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 AM   #47
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post

Leo needs to look more like this.
No. He needs to not look anything like that.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 AM   #48
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Pretty much same page, my fave version is this one: http://i.imgur.com/I7h3ZFN.jpg Only thing different I think is the eyes aren't as big.

Granted I can see the resemblance with the actual model, and have to give some leeway between softly colored polished concept art and the actual models, lighting, etc (just how that's gonna come across visually vs what's basically an illustration) - but I'm betting he'd prob would have looked closer to that prior to being shot up with the steroids and force fed protein shakes and triple cheese party-sized pizzas.

Still want an art book. Or a whole TMNT visual story told via that person's work. Doesn't even needs words, just lots and lots of pages of that art that speaks 1000 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Turn back a year ago and nothing else to go by I'd be agreeing. But choosing only among the concept art that's turned up for what was going to happen, that's the best looking stuff that has turned up (imo) of what somewhat almost not quite happened. (Still want those weird alien-looking ones to turn up as bad guys though. lol)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-21-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:53 AM   #49
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Then what exactly, are you expecting him to look like? this:
?
we definitely aren't going to get a drastic redesign, so I'm hoping they tone down the proportions a bit. something like this would be ideal:
Spoiler:
Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 AM   #50
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Then what exactly, are you expecting him to look like? this:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../23/Oldleo.JPG ?
we definitely aren't going to get a drastic redesign, so I'm hoping they tone down the proportions a bit. something like this would be ideal:
Again, the problem is, we are speaking in definitive tuerms. I get my back up when you use the word "ideal" without also using, "in my opinion".

And don't be absurd. I don't think the turtles should look like their cartoon counterparts of 1987, any more than I think the humans should look like their cartoon counterparts, in a live action film. I hate when CG calls attention to itself. It shouldn't ever feel un-real. If you can't do it with CG, then go back to Puppets.

Realism, requires actual realism, to be believed. Otherwise, don't do a live action movie, make it an animated affair and go nuts. Make it an all out anime, or CG the 87 verse, or the Mirage verse, or 2003, or something altogether new.

Just, don't put a 6ft ugly ass garbage pail kid shrek next to a human and expect me to buy it.

And if they insist on keeping the OT design in live action, then just do the damned OT design, in CG. Just under 5 feet tall, etc. if they're going to look like cartoons, may as well go the distance.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 01-21-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:12 AM   #51
neatoman
Emperor

Well first and foremost they need to tone down the personalised bling on the turtles, I know it's there to be visual differences between them but there is such a thing as too much. I don't like Raph's mask covering the top of his head, I don't know why I just never liked it when the masks covered the top of the head on the turtles, it's silly to complain about such a minor detail but I just don't like it.

Other than that, the faces do look too human, I don't know how they would explain such a change but they would be a lot more pleasant to look at if they had less human faces.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #52
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Again, the problem is, we are speaking in definitive tuerms. I get my back up when you use the word "ideal" without also using, "in my opinion".

And don't be absurd. I don't think the turtles should look like their cartoon counterparts of 1987, any more than I think the humans should look like their cartoon counterparts, in a live action film. I hate when CG calls attention to itself. It shouldn't ever feel un-real. If you can't do it with CG, then go back to Puppets.

Realism, requires actual realism, to be believed. Otherwise, don't do a live action movie, make it an animated affair and go nuts. Make it an all out anime, or CG the 87 verse, or the Mirage verse, or 2003, or something altogether new.

Just, don't put a 6ft ugly ass garbage pail kid shrek next to a human and expect me to buy it.

And if they insist on keeping the OT design in live action, then just do the damned OT design, in CG. Just under 5 feet tall, etc. if they're going to look like cartoons, may as well go the distance.

Of course, this is only my opinion.
So, basically, long story short, you want them to go back to puppets? you think animatronics look realer than CGI? hate to break it to you buddy, but where not living in the 80s anymore. I can personally assure you, that we will NEVER see puppets, like ever again.
And aww, too bad.. they didn't make them look like the incarnation of TMNT you grew up.. boo, hoo. they aren't using outdated effects like the one you grew up with! waahh!

The only thing I can agree with you on, is the fact that the physics were waaay off in the movie.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #53
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
you think animatronics look realer than CGI?
Uh, yes. I do, anyway. Because they are real. Puppets/animatronics automatically look like a part of their environment because they actually are.

Even the best CGI can still struggle with that - you can usually tell it's not in the same plane of existence. Often the CGI doesn't have a feeling of actual weight, the computer-created lighting doesn't match the natural on-set work, or the CGI creation doesn't look natural next to real-life actors. This happens even in the biggest-budget movies made today. I could sure tell in this movie, and I actually found it jarring.

And here's the thing. The push by the studios to go full-CGI so often instead of using puppets/animatronics, or a hybrid of the two? It's not because CGI is inherently superior - it's because it's cheaper and easier. And all that does is accommodate laziness.

Quote:
hate to break it to you buddy, but where not living in the 80s anymore. I can personally assure you, that we will NEVER see puppets, like ever again.
And aww, too bad.. they didn't make them look like the incarnation of TMNT you grew up.. boo, hoo. they aren't using outdated effects like the one you grew up with! waahh!

The only thing I can agree with you on, is the fact that the physics were waaay off in the movie.
You're way too dismissive about proven technology. Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it's outdated or doesn't work anymore. And there's definitely an element of high-tech snobbery, with certain groups in the industry and with certain viewers, that writes off anything that isn't new and cutting-edge. But ask any filmmaker with genuine talent - sometimes the oldest tricks are still the most effective. Many filmmakers still use puppets and minatures instead of pure CGI, because often they just look better. How many movies use CGI blood-splatter effects that, to this day, look completely fake?

Ultimately these are all tools in the filmmaker's toolbox, and every one of them has a use where they work better than anything else does. Even if some aren't used as often, you will still need them at some point, and throwing them out because they're "outdated" is completely short-sighted.

Last edited by Bry; 01-21-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #54
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
you think animatronics look realer than CGI?
They do... because they actually exist in a 3D space and don't look like a video game... the new movie has some serious Roger Rabbit ish going on. It's not the sole offender, but stuff that looks like sh*t is just stuff that looks like sh*t.

Bry hit it pretty well on. You're supposed to use whatever you have to in order to make the movie look as good as possible, not push a few buttons and call it a day just because That's How It's Done Now.

A mix of practical and computer effects will always look far superior to anything that's 99% CGI. Perfect example: Look how awesome the Lord of the Rings movies look, compared to how overwhelmingly sh***y the Hobbit movies look if you look at them side-by-side. Even the actors in the movies have been pretty vocal about that.

People have just accepted how prevalent it is because of that "this is how it's done now, we're never going back... like ever" attitude. That's bogus. It has nothing to do with what actually looks best. Studios just don't want to pay set designers, costume people, make-up artists, etc. CGI costs people jobs. For that reason alone I don't like how over-used it is. It has its place but that place is not everywhere.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #55
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Uh, yes. I do, anyway. Because they are real. Puppets/animatronics automatically look like a part of their environment because they actually are.

Even the best CGI can still struggle with that - you can usually tell it's not in the same plane of existence. Often the CGI doesn't have a feeling of actual weight, the computer-created lighting doesn't match the natural on-set work, or the CGI creation doesn't look natural next to real-life actors. This happens even in the biggest-budget movies made today. I could sure tell in this movie, and I actually found it jarring.

And here's the thing. The push by the studios to go full-CGI so often instead of using puppets/animatronics, or a hybrid of the two? It's not because CGI is inherently superior - it's because it's cheaper and easier. And all that does is accommodate laziness.

You're way too dismissive about proven technology. Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it's outdated or doesn't work anymore. And there's definitely an element of high-tech snobbery, with certain groups in the industry and with certain viewers, that writes off anything that isn't new and cutting-edge. But ask any filmmaker with genuine talent - sometimes the oldest tricks are still the most effective. Many filmmakers still use puppets and minatures instead of pure CGI, because often they just look better. How many movies use CGI blood-splatter effects that, to this day, look completely fake?

Ultimately these are all tools in the filmmaker's toolbox, and every one of them has a use where they work better than anything else does. Even if some aren't used as often, you will still need them at some point, and throwing them out because they're "outdated" is completely short-sighted.
thank you, this was a great answer in my oppinion!someone who understands...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #56
Amaranthus
Banned

Quote:
So, basically, long story short, you want them to go back to puppets? you think animatronics look realer than CGI? hate to break it to you buddy, but where not living in the 80s anymore. I can personally assure you, that we will NEVER see puppets, like ever again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #57
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Costume / prosthetic creators, professional makeup people, professional prop weapon creators, ect. are also important. I think Leo mentioned LotR. Chronicles of Narnia also did the above that I mentioned. CGI was used in both movies but it wasn't "the main driving force." More examples are Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. *The Stan Winston crew made lifesize Terminator puppets inside the studio! They also built the JP dinos too.*

So I will also step in to say that the days of puppetering, and professionally creative costume design is far from numbered.

Last edited by DarkFell; 01-21-2015 at 02:23 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #58
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:

Um....

Anyway....

Buddy, don't call me Buddy, and don't condescend.

I actually didn't say go back to puppets, did I? Can you read at all?

I said "I hate when CG calls attention to itself. It shouldn't ever feel un-real. If you can't do it with CG, then go back to Puppets."

I have no problem with CG, I have massive problems with crappy renders to save time. I don't mind change, infact I welcome it. I do mind incompetence, and poor quality work.

I said, DON'T USE SH*TTY DESIGNS FROM A BUNCH OF SH*TTY ARTISTS.

Was I clear enough, BUDDY?

Quote:
It wasn't just the Physics that were way off, but at least you can admit that much. Most of the people who support the film can't.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #59
Leolead
Stone Warrior

I'm not going waste my time.. there's no way I can argue with all of you at once
Old 01-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #60
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

"Puppets" are still a big part of hollywood dude...even movies Like Pacific Rim and Transformers have on Screen Puppets for certain characters

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
designs in tmnt2, tmnt2