The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

The future of collecting doesn't look good.

We have digital everything. No need for physical DVDs, CDs, Comics, Trading Cards, etc. What are your thoughts on the future of collecting?

Will collectors of tangible good eventually all go extinct? What will ebay look like in the future when it counts on customers buying and selling physical goods? What happens when kids become adults and become nostalgic for digital memories?

The first article asks the question will kids "grow up to appreciate and collect physical objects, or will they be surrounded by nothing but piles of obsolete electronic devices?"

"What does the future hold for comic book collecting?"
http://coolandcollected.com/future-h...ok-collecting/

The last article reports data from 2015 that shows estimated revenue from digital trading cards in North America reached $329 million.

"Thousands of people are spending money on virtual trading cards that don't actually exist."
http://www.businessinsider.com/peopl...y-exist-2016-8
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I am Pro Physical when it comes to Movies and Comic Books Digital Can suck it. I always give my Movie Digital Copies away to friends. I like having a physical book in my hand to read.

I like having Music Digitally as its easier the way Itunes can keep everything organized. The only time I get physical music if its autographed or a limited thing
Old 10-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I am Pro Physical when it comes to Movies and Comic Books Digital Can suck it. I always give my Movie Digital Copies away to friends. I like having a physical book in my hand to read.

I like having Music Digitally as its easier the way Itunes can keep everything organized. The only time I get physical music if its autographed or a limited thing
Yeah I agree with a lot of that. But we didn't grow up in a digital world like today. Eventually we are all going to die. And it will be those that have maybe never held a physical movie in their hand. Or purchased music from a physical store. Even a lot of kids books now a days are digital.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
The Deadman
Foot Elite

The CD will become obsolete in a few years anyway, especially when it comes to albums.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
The CD will become obsolete in a few years anyway, especially when it comes to albums.
It isn't already?

I think having all these things in a digital format may also alter our ideas of ownership. What happens when the server/cloud/whatever goes down? Should we reach a point where DRM no longer exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I think having all these things in a digital format may also alter our ideas of ownership.
Hmm interesting.

Is a digital asset something that is even recognized? If I have a CD/DVD and my CD/DVD player breaks I still have access to and own the CD/DVD. But if I buy a digital comic or digital music and my device breaks do I still own the comic/song?

Digital seems more like video rental or paying for an experience similar to going to the cinema. If you don't have physical access to something do you actually have ownership. What's that old saying "possession is 9/10 of the law."

Disclosure: I've never bought or "borrowed" digital anything.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Well, at least toys will still be around. You can't really play with a digital action figure, can you?

And I have nothing against digital copies of games, books, movies, etc. My apartment doesn't have unlimited space. Ofc things like DRM, power outages, hard drives and SD cards dying can make you lose a lot of stuff but hey, nothing is perfect.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Those digital only people are going to learn a hard truth. They don't own any of it. All you get when you buy digital is a license to use. The biggest point for me is that anything I buy non-digital I have the right to resell. I buy a DVD , CD, Book, Comic Book, etc I can sell that item, and use the money to buy another. Not so with digital. Also if the company goes belly up, or there is a technology failure, I still have my stuff.

I'm not a comic book junkie. That said, I never could get into digital comics. There is something missing from the experience if I am not holding a printed copy. Art too.

Anymore If I want to read on the kindle I look for it at the library. If I have to buy, It'll likely be physical media.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I don't care. If the death of physical media is doing something good to the environment, go for it!
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #10
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
The biggest point for me is that anything I buy non-digital I have the right to resell. I buy a DVD , CD, Book, Comic Book, etc I can sell that item, and use the money to buy another. Not so with digital.
Yeah think of all the businesses that sell used goods. Ebay, Craigslist, thrift stores, pawn shops and other brick&mortar places. All take a financial hit with increased digital demand. It's also great to have the trade-in-value for when you want something new but don't want to spend the cash.

Teens of the future may never know what it's like to sell-off old unplayed games in an attempt to raise weekend beer money.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 PM   #11
sdp
-

I am pro digital but physical will always exist as a niche no matter how much digital overtakes there's enough people out there to have specialty stores.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:56 AM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
You can't really play with a digital action figure, can you?
That's what you do when playing videogames!
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
That's what you do when playing videogames!
Ofc but playing video games and witch action figures are two different experiences.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
It isn't already?

I think having all these things in a digital format may also alter our ideas of ownership. What happens when the server/cloud/whatever goes down? Should we reach a point where DRM no longer exists?
Surprisingly no, CDs still exist when it comes to music.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote