The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #61
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
After all these awesome collectors stuff. You still wanna see what crap Playmates comes out with?
Playmates mostly focus on toys for kids. Say what you want but would you spend $50 for a set of Turtles toys for your kid of less than 10 bucks knowing that it won't break as easily as spending $50.

People forget to show respect to the company that brought us TMNT toys in the first place.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #62
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogod View Post
Super7 have a TMNT line planned in the style of their MOTU figures. No pics yet, but could be interesting.
This comes to me as a shock because this won't be much different from what NECA is doing. Maybe it's because Super 7 is also not retail base and are online pre-orders?
If they do make MOTUC style figures then it's going to be another expensive year knowing that they will be $30 a pop plus shipping and taxes.....
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #63
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
People forget to show respect to the company that brought us TMNT toys in the first place.
It's easier to give a **** about a company when a company's products feel like they give a **** as well.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #64
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
This comes to me as a shock because this won't be much different from what NECA is doing. Maybe it's because Super 7 is also not retail base and are online pre-orders?
If they do make MOTUC style figures then it's going to be another expensive year knowing that they will be $30 a pop plus shipping and taxes.....
I can see them being updates of the original 1988 figures in 6" scale and with modern articulation, in which case I'm all in.

They've also shown a Toxic Crusaders Toxie which is basically an updated version of the Playmates figure, so that gives you a good idea of what to expect.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #65
nellyp
Stone Warrior

The NECA Bebop and Rocksteady look great. Too bad NECA doesn’t sell their stuff here in Canada that I’ve seen.

The playmates stuff is good for kids. Our 6 yr old got the first 9 figures for Christmas and he enjoys them so more figures that aren’t just variants is nice to grow that line.
nellyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #66
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Playmates mostly focus on toys for kids. Say what you want but would you spend $50 for a set of Turtles toys for your kid of less than 10 bucks knowing that it won't break as easily as spending $50.

They lost my respect when they kept half assing stuff for the adult collectors and making sup par happy meal toys calling them action figures
Old 02-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #67
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #68
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Obviously those NECA B&R are a must have. I hope we see a lot more turtle stuff from NECA, they are getting it dead on.

From playmates, well, I kinda like the new turtle tots, but I have the 2k12 ones and I like those just fine, so I dunno.

I don't like any of the new turtle variants they showed. Couple of the villains look alright. But until online stores stop charging 16.99 for the figures when they should be 8.99... no way in hell am I gonna buy them. Playmates needs to get on the asses of these online shops and make them get the prices more reasonable. I very rarely find new turtle figures at target and other stores anymore, so online is my main go-to. I refuse to pay the weird pricing a lot of them are charging these days for Playmates stuff.

At this rate, I don't think Rise is going to last as long as 2k12 did. Even with the show cheaper to produce, if it's not selling a lot of toys they'll be compelled to try something different very soon.

To the people insisting Playmates only focuses on the kid market... yeah! we know! And when they tried to do a collector friendly line, people mostly liked it (especially the bebop & rocksteady) but they complained it wasn't selling. That's weird, because NECA seems to love the sales. I think Playmates just doesn't know how to deal with adult collectors and that's a real shame, because we are a huge market.

Remember... there was a recent report about declining toy sales across the industry... everything is down except one area... action figures, which has increased 10%. Where do you think that 10% comes from.

Just, thank God for NECA.

Last edited by Zulithe; 02-16-2019 at 11:31 PM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:49 AM   #69
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Watched Pixel Dan's walk through with Playmates. I know TF is for retailers, but come on, Pat is too awkward on camera, Dan had to do all the hype work.

Excited about the new variant Turtles, love the wrestling styled ones. Turtle toys looked hella cute and I'm liking Repomantis and Hypno-Potamus. What I liked the most was the Bugbuster vehicle Donnie figure, he's probably the best looking Donnie they've shown yet.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:02 AM   #70
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

I’m excited for the turtle variants just so I can replace the god awful head sculpts of the wave 1 releases.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #71
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The new ones also have better more screen accurate plastron as well.

Really wish the battle pack variants of Donnie had the better looking figure and not the wave 1 Basic
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:10 AM   #72
SS Kakarot
Mad Scientist

Here's some pictures of the upcoming Rise toys by Playmates:

I do wonder what Playmates has plannend for the 35th anniversary. Have not found any info or pictures yet, besides the logo.
SS Kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:19 AM   #73
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Kakarot View Post
I do wonder what Playmates has plannend for the 35th anniversary. Have not found any info or pictures yet, besides the logo.
Set your bar low.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #74
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Watched Pixel Dan's walk through with Playmates. I know TF is for retailers, but come on, Pat is too awkward on camera, Dan had to do all the hype work.
I know! He's ALWAYS been awkward and non-enthusiastic in every Pixel Dan video of Playmates coverage. It's funny, I watched the three major Pixel Dan videos last night and each representative all had three different interview styles in Randy from NECA being the most relaxed, professional and amusing, Brian from Super7 coming across almost aggravated and confrontational and then Pat feeling like "get me out of here." Pat kinda reminded me of a Kraang.

I also think their interview styles reflect their products as well. Playmates feels more stiff and uptight in their products and it just seems to be lacking any genuine sense of fun. Yes, Toy Fair is a corporate event meant to sell corporate items ... but geeze, it's almost as if Pat is as bored with Playmates products as much as we all are.

I also found it REALLY funny that when there was a small shot of the 1990 line they did a few years back that they replaced Leonardo with the 1987 classic figure. It kinda felt like to me "Yikes, don't show that one with the horrible face sculpt ... it's embarrassing now compared to what else is out there."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
To the people insisting Playmates only focuses on the kid market... yeah! we know! And when they tried to do a collector friendly line, people mostly liked it (especially the bebop & rocksteady) but they complained it wasn't selling. That's weird, because NECA seems to love the sales. I think Playmates just doesn't know how to deal with adult collectors and that's a real shame, because we are a huge market.

Remember... there was a recent report about declining toy sales across the industry... everything is down except one area... action figures, which has increased 10%. Where do you think that 10% comes from.

Just, thank God for NECA.
This 100%.

I'm glad Nickelodeon is probably telling Playmates to take the death grip off the TMNT line so they're allowed to keep doing what they're doing.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #75
Panther10
Hench Mutant

Playmates doesn't really surprise me anymore and the amount of effort they put into their lineups has become a little stagnant in recent years. With each subsequent wave that comes out, all we see these days are the same action figures, themes, action features and general motif's that were present in the Turtles line that came out when we were kids. Basic turtle sets? check. Turtles with "unique" features like storage shells, head droppin action or wacky faces? check. Interchangable swaths of bad guys with dorky names and weird accessories like cotton candy missles and anti-pizza gear? check.

I don't know but this just gets all a little boring after awhile. If Playmates really wanted to promise something new and exciting for this generation, maybe stop using the same playbook from 1989?
Panther10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #76
StealthNinjaScyther
Foot Soldier

Overall it's hard to defend Playmate's output these days. But when it comes to the basic line I think they're doing a pretty good job. Yeah, the articulation and paint can be lacking, but for the price point you're not going to find much better out there. Sometimes they screw up in really dumb ways though. Take the Bug Busters variants they showed off here, molded in the wrong colors. The only skin showing should be the head and neck. Hopefully they'll get it right for the actual release, but I'm expecting to be disappointed.
StealthNinjaScyther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #77
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthNinjaScyther View Post
Overall it's hard to defend Playmate's output these days. But when it comes to the basic line I think they're doing a pretty good job. Yeah, the articulation and paint can be lacking, but for the price point you're not going to find much better out there. Sometimes they screw up in really dumb ways though. Take the Bug Busters variants they showed off here, molded in the wrong colors. The only skin showing should be the head and neck. Hopefully they'll get it right for the actual release, but I'm expecting to be disappointed.
Obviously we don’t know inside details, but keep in mind that toys are often modeled after early concept art that differs from the final look. It’s hard to believe that they would show an incorrectly decorated figure at toy fair, where they usually put out the good looking prototypes.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:02 PM   #78
sdp
-

Who cares about Playmates now that viacom has allowed other companies to also make toys aimed at us.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #79
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Who cares about Playmates now that viacom has allowed other companies to also make toys aimed at us.
Exactly this...

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #80
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

I am seriously so excited for what NECA has in store! This special movie figure that we have yet to see I really hope it's Splinter.
And this Fred Wolf line of figures is a dream come true!
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote