The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 AM   #21
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
OHhhhh now I understand. Hence the "Mae Whitman" comment, whom I now assume is the netherlands actress who did their voicedub for April.

Got it. Cool thread.

Thank you.

Nope, Mae Whitman is the American Voice actress for THIS April.

You also might know her from voicing Katara in "Avatar, the last air bender"

Also seeing as how I'm spending more and more time in England and thus have been speaking English on a daily basis, it is rapidly becoming my first language.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #22
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Her? (...and Ann from Arrested Development!)
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #23
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Blue screen was the norm at the time, but the process had been around since at least 1940.

The painting you're referring to is more of background painting. Matte paintings were composited in post, background paintings are on location, photographed in-camera.
You're right. Thank you, I didn't know the difference between matte and background painting technics.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #24
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

You're very welcome! Both practices are extremely cool. Matte painting is INCREDIBLY interesting, though. They used to paint ON GLASS! Insane.

https://conceptartempire.com/matte-painting/
Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #25
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
You're very welcome! Both practices are extremely cool. Matte painting is INCREDIBLY interesting, though. They used to paint ON GLASS! Insane.

https://conceptartempire.com/matte-painting/
IIRC model makers would make glass forms and paint spaceship colors on them so that when they scratched the paint off it would look like the appropriate illumination from inside.

I also remember the days of blue screen special effects. That's back when a "making of" special was awesome because there was so much to talk about. Now, generally speaking it's "how did you pull off those amazing visual effects?!?"

"Computers".

That's the end of the special other than watching some rich Hollywood people talk about storyboards and their brilliance.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #26
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I also remember the days of blue screen special effects. That's back when a "making of" special was awesome because there was so much to talk about.
Speaking of, a Ghostbusters making-of documentary I'm producing will have a release date announced SOON!

Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

Oh, well that's something I would watch! -big thumb's up-
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #28
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
There wasn't any green screen work in TMNT 90.
For sure. Can't Green Screen large Green turtles. They disappear too.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #29
Garfield
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
- The Fight scenes were of early Power Rangers quality, they posed too much and moved too slow to really make it look convincing and the way that Casey Jones knocked Tatsu twenty feet back by hitting him with a golf club was just ridiculous.

well now.
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #30
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Quote:
...The Fight scenes were of early Power Rangers quality, they posed too much and moved too slow to really make it look convincing and the way that Casey Jones knocked Tatsu twenty feet back by hitting him with a golf club was just ridiculous.
Maybe best not move on to Secret of the Ooze right away...
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #31
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

"WHY did Danny rebel against his father, what was going on behind closed doors that he felt he had to join that gang? It was never answered."

Its like kids today wants everything pre chewed.......its not impossible that he joined due to peer pressure among other things , he felt the father didnt have enough time for him
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #32
Musashi
Foot Soldier

I suspect nobody even questioned that at the time. Danny was a teenage boy, therefore he was liable to rebel against his dad - With Charles apparently being a single parent and a lack of real communication between the two, the rebellious teen was even more to be taken for granted.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #33
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I'm not sure green screens were already a thing in 1989.
But you wouldn't even be able to use green screen back then for this movie due to the TMNT colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
I suspect nobody even questioned that at the time. Danny was a teenage boy, therefore he was liable to rebel against his dad - With Charles apparently being a single parent and a lack of real communication between the two, the rebellious teen was even more to be taken for granted.
Yeah I understood that even at the time. His father even has to be corrected by the end on what to call his son which shows the complete lack of communication between them both.

Quote:
You also might know her from voicing Katara in "Avatar, the last air bender"
Sorry, I only know her from Independence Day.

Quote:
You're very welcome! Both practices are extremely cool. Matte painting is INCREDIBLY interesting, though.
Are physical matte paintings even done any more? I get the impression it's nearly all digital matte paintings which I don't feel work as well.

Quote:
Speaking of, a Ghostbusters making-of documentary I'm producing will have a release date announced SOON!
Is it still going to be in two parts? Or are the Buenos releasing it as one massive doc?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #34
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Are physical matte paintings even done any more? I get the impression it's nearly all digital matte paintings which I don't feel work as well.
I wouldn't be shocked if some artists still use physical painting techniques, but the compositing is absolutely all digital now.

Quote:
Is it still going to be in two parts? Or are the Buenos releasing it as one massive doc?
Two parts-- one feature length documentary per film.

Cleanin' Up the Town
covers the Ghostbusters. Too Hot to Handle covers GB2. Current plans are for extended editions later on down the line.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #35
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked if some artists still use physical painting techniques, but the compositing is absolutely all digital now.
I read an old interview with Harrison Ellenshaw yesterday about how when he worked on Superman IV he had real trouble finding matte painting artists in the UK. I'm guessing it was a dying artform even back in the late 80s when it came to doing the art physically.

Quote:

Cleanin' Up the Town
covers the Ghostbusters. Too Hot to Handle covers GB2. Current plans are for extended editions later on down the line.
When you say extended do you mean for the blu-ray releases or will different versions of both docs be released?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #36
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Cleanin' Up the Town
Can't wait! I feel like I've been waiting on this documentary for about a third of my life.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #37
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
Can't wait! I feel like I've been waiting on this documentary for about a third of my life.
Wow-- I guess I have, too! Are you 36/37ish?

It's been screening in Canada with a great response from fans. The movie is in the hands of the distributors now, so we're in the dark on details. I'll definitely post when I know something, though.

pferreia, no details have been confirmed, but we're working on the longer version of Cleanin'. My first cut was around 4 hours, I'm guessing the more refined long version will be around 3.5.

I'm thinking Too Hot to Handle will be the same-- shorter version, longer version kitchen sink version.

The Buenos shot SO much interview material on GB and GB2, keeping it all limited to one documentary would have been a disservice to the fans and artisans behind the original films.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #38
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Wow-- I guess I have, too! Are you 36/37ish?

It's been screening in Canada with a great response from fans. The movie is in the hands of the distributors now, so we're in the dark on details. I'll definitely post when I know something, though.
I'm 33. Once these docs go up for order, I'm gonna snatch 'em up as fast as I can. They sound meaty and full of info, which is my kind of documentary. Can't wait to review them.

There are also Robocop, Beetlejuice and Gremlins documentaries I've been dying to see, but there hasn't been any momentum from them lately, at least as far as news go.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #39
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
There are also Robocop, Beetlejuice and Gremlins documentaries I've been dying to see, but there hasn't been any momentum from them lately, at least as far as news go.
The last I heard the Robodoc one was in its final stages of completion.

Quote:
The Buenos shot SO much interview material on GB and GB2, keeping it all limited to one documentary would have been a disservice to the fans and artisans behind the original films.
It's great they're doing this. As a big GB fan I'm really looking forward to these blu-rays. I'll also be interested to see if they include any extras for them.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #40
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The last I heard the Robodoc one was in its final stages of completion.

It's great they're doing this. As a big GB fan I'm really looking forward to these blu-rays. I'll also be interested to see if they include any extras for them.
What a nice review!
https://setthetape.com/2019/11/28/cl...NZx2RAYjjA3UK4

...and hey, a new trailer, too!
https://youtu.be/S5QFRaf6Z1o