The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Underrated Bat Rogues

I have a liking to the colorful characters who scrooge Batman and see quite a few can be dismissed or not given proper care or continued care. What villains in the deep depths of Batman' Rogues Gallery do you appreciate?

Spoiler:

Of all of the well-known villains I would say Mr. Freeze. I love the concept and his origin given by Paul Dini. This character owes a lot to television as he was a one-shot named Mr. Zero who was cured at the end of his first story. However, William Dozier must have picked up this comic when looking for samples and he appeared in Batman'66 three times. Watching his episode which he kidnaps Ms. Iceland in attempt to make her Mrs. Fries does not feel like the character due to later developments not to mention a moll he had feelings for that used him in a 1979 story. Then twenty-six years later his three Batman: TAS episodes solidified him as a first string villain. The problem is he had a downturn in his story-line. It could have ended with Subzero and given a villain what looked to be a happy ending. However, he literally fell apart and his wife remarried with him declared dead. The comics incorporated the origin and shattered Nora only to make her a villain who spites Victor, Lazara. Mr. Freeze needs to find a way to maintain his Batman: TAS origin yet have more than a limited story-line. Further use has proven to derail the character's arc. He needs either a happy ending or work needs to be done to allow him to continue while incorporating the animated series given origin. So far no dice.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Another character I enjoy reading in The Spook, a criminally underrated threat that had early success and well done stories between 1973 to 1980. Afterwards he appeared in the first of two villain gathers, Detective Comics#526 (1983). He made Batman think himself to be dead among other darker ploys villains have pulled. Val Kaliban had done enough to be put on death row, but his escape artist mastery allowed him to avoid the sentence. How many of Batman's rogues were a threat enough for death row? There is also the problem of the two times he was dusted off (late 2003) as unable to adapt to life in Gotham of today and used as a sacrificial lamb to the debuting Damian Wayne which he is unceremoniously beheaded by the child after holding up city hall. This character needs further use and respect. A lot of directions can be taken with him becoming a true spook or true to his skill set escape the fate and getting revenge. He did get a cameo in the Scooby Doo team up title alongside a Bamtan '66 villain, False Face since, but that is not nearly what the villain needs.
https://babblingsaboutdccomics4.word...nd-robin-ends/

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Third and finally, Boss Rupert Thorne. Batman's rogues really lack a pure mafia villain. Batman's tend to crossover to mafia, but are primarily costumed super villains. The likes of Penguin, Two Face, Ventriolquist, even Killer Croc early on was, are underworld factions, but not true mob. Black Mask and maybe Ventriloquist are the only mafia characters that interact with the super-kind. Spider-Man's rogues with Kingpin, Silvermane,Hammerhead, Tombstone, and The Owl are primarily mafia characters who interact with the super-kind. Thorne is a creation of the Englehart run, but his reign was short-lived and only had two arcs in '77 and '83,but Rupert Thorne gave the role of The Kingpin that he would take on in Spider-Man:TAS when Thorne controlled most of crime and city council in Batman:TAS. He has so much potential to scrooge Batman politically long-term and have a hold on Gotham to rival The Penguin,but never got time to shine. Aside from that Dr. Phosphorous went after he him yet again years later in 2006 and he was in the debut scene of The Batman as a generic mafia character. This guy needs the creators attention!

Any thoughts on my choices or do you have your own favorites who are overlooked or under utilized?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Really good pulls/choices!!!!!
Love Mr.Freese in BTAS and the movie Sub-Zero I am unfamiliar with him in the comics, but he had a really awesome episode on Batman Beyond.

Not familiar with Mr. Spook so I really don't have much to say about him.

Rupert Thorne is definitely a favorite villain of mine from BTAS bc he and the mafia aspect kept the show grounded.

As for a Main Rogue I would like to see more of..... I would have to go with Scarecrow. I thought he was ok in BTAS, but in the Arkham Asylum games he was amazing and would love to see more of that Scarecrow.

As for under-rated I would love to The Court of Owls get some more love. I am just waiting for them to break out onto the big screen. I know they have been in Gotham the tv series, but I did not like that interpretation. The comic court of Owls is amazing and the dynamic with Batman and Bruce Wayne is something that even rivals Joker's
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
As for under-rated I would love to The Court of Owls get some more love. I am just waiting for them to break out onto the big screen. I know they have been in Gotham the tv series, but I did not like that interpretation. The comic court of Owls is amazing and the dynamic with Batman and Bruce Wayne is something that even rivals Joker's
I kinda wish I saw the Court of Owls go after the Joker.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Riddler is well-known, but I think he's pretty underrated.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Riddler is well-known, but I think he's pretty underrated.
What are your opinions on Zero Year and The War of Jokes and Riddles? High profile stories that I question if it was a teue depiction of The Riddler.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I kinda wish I saw the Court of Owls go after the Joker.
Are you talking about in the comics(New 52) OR in Gotham tv show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What are your opinions on Zero Year and The War of Jokes and Riddles? High profile stories that I question if it was a teue depiction of The Riddler.

Zero Year was freaking amazing! Thats the only reason I did not mention Riddler in my answer bc he had such a big arc devoted to the character.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Zero Year was pretty great. Not my favorite early Batman story or my favorite Scott Snyder Batman story, but I really enjoyed it. Love me some Scott Snyder.

War of Jokes and Riddles sucked. All tell, no show. Barely any real story. I don't like Tom King, except for one or two issues. Didn't like "I Am Gotham", "I Am Suicide", "I Am Bane", "Night of the Monster Men", or "Everybody Loves Ivy." Or the Wonder Woman / Batman story.

I've liked the story where Selina and Bruce went to have a talk with Talia... that's been about it.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Zero Year was pretty great. Not my favorite early Batman story or my favorite Scott Snyder Batman story, but I really enjoyed it. Love me some Scott Snyder.

War of Jokes and Riddles sucked. All tell, no show. Barely any real story. I don't like Tom King, except for one or two issues. Didn't like "I Am Gotham", "I Am Suicide", "I Am Bane", "Night of the Monster Men", or "Everybody Loves Ivy." Or the Wonder Woman / Batman story.

I've liked the story where Selina and Bruce went to have a talk with Talia... that's been about it.
I only read the proposal issue,#24. What issue was the Bruce/Talia dialogue?

I have read every precrisis Ra's story and it seems one side, Talia has a crush on the older Bruce, who calls her a kid. Is it one sided post-crisis? I always found it odd that Talia was considered his second greatest love.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #9
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

War of Jokes and Riddles sucked.
War of Jokes and Riddles rubbed me the wrong way especially with Kiteman's son
Old 03-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
War of Jokes and Riddles rubbed me the wrong way especially with Kiteman's son
It's not the Riddler way...and it was all to make The Joker laugh?

Thoughts on the poster example of a loser villain, Killer Moth?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I like the Queen of Hearts. I don't know how many interpretations there have been of the character, but the one I'm familiar with is a mentally disturbed woman who collects human hearts and keeps them in a doll house. Pretty cool.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I like the Queen of Hearts. I don't know how many interpretations there have been of the character, but the one I'm familiar with is a mentally disturbed woman who collects human hearts and keeps them in a doll house. Pretty cool.
I never heard of her and I know all of the obscure ones. It must be New 52. I dropped the title when the renumbering took hold. Sounds too grotesque like my least favorite rouge, Professor Pyg and not oddly cool by design or gimmick.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
She's a JL villain, not Gotham specific. Does sound look a cool gimmick though!

Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and now Queen of Hearts... That's a weird number of Wonderland villains.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
She's a JL villain, not Gotham specific. Does sound look a cool gimmick though!

Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and now Queen of Hearts... That's a weird number of Wonderland villains.
There is The Wonderland Gang that Mad Hatter formed in Detective Comics#841. I believe there have been a pair of smaller appearances such as seen being captured in Doomsday Clock#1,but I suggest that you check out the issue.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Wonderland_Gang
Old 04-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #15
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Are all of those actual lego figures or just a cameo in this scene?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #17
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I think they made most of them in Mini-fig Blind Bags.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I collect both Batman villains and Spider-Man villains with the idea it is best chance to have a complete gallery in one form. Batman is missing less than a handful of lesser foes from having a complete set 15 years later. It has some surprising entries over the years. I suppose that Lego has a few obscure ones that even heroclix missed. I question why a couple of one-shot foes who I never would have heard of without the Bat Rogue label in heroclix were made,but aside from Rupert Thorne, Cavalier, Black Spider, and Cluemaster they are all there and then some. Here is a list based on what I have. Also, admittingly the "Associated with" is subjective.
Batman Villain Heroclix List:
Joker
Harley Quinn
Penguin
Riddler
Catwoman
Two Face
Mr. Freeze
Poison Ivy
Scarecrow
Ra's al Ghul
Talia
Bane
Ultimate Clayface
Clayface III
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter Imposter
Man-Bat
Killer Croc
Professor Hugo Strange
Hush
Black Mask
Scarface & Ventriloquist
Deadshot
Firefly
Killer Moth
Mr. Zsasz
Cat-Man
Calendar Man
Red Hood
Carmine Falcone
Blockbuster II
KG Beast
Dr. Phosphorous
Singalman
Dr. Hurt
David Caine
Joe Chill
Crazy Quilt
Sensei
Bronze Tiger (League of Assassins)
Lady Shiva (League of Assassins)
Meryln (League of Assassins)
Lock-Up
Kite Man
Electrocutioner
Talon
The Holiday Killer
Architect
White Rabbit
Batzarro
Maxie Zues
King Tut (Batman '66)
Egghead (Batman '66)
Shame (Batman'66)
Phantasm (Batman: TAS)
Clock King (Batman: TAS version)

Associated with Bat Rogues:
Lex Luthor
Deathstroke
Solomon Grundy
Calculator
Copperhead
Gentleman Ghost

Hench characters:
League of Assassin
Man-Bat Assassin
Arkham Inmate
Court of Owl Initiate
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Kite Man.

Hell yeah
Have you ever read any of the Kite-Man appearances or just the reinvention of the character as a joke villain created by The Riddler to make The Joker laugh? I have read his first appearance, his second year later by Len Wein and his Gotham Knights appearance. Also, Kite-Man was killed off TWICE in a matter of months around the time of Infinite Crisis. Brown turned down Deathstroke's invitation so he sent him off the ledge of a building without his glider and then Bruno Maannheim cannibalized him in the 52 weekly series. Someone really hated the guy in 2006! Here are his appearances.

Batman #133 (August 1960): "Crimes of the Kite-Man"
Batman #315 (September 1979): "Danger on the Wing"
Hawkman Vol. 2 #4 (November 1986): "For the Benefit of Mister Kite"
Justice League America #43 (October 1990): "If You Play Your Card Right..."
Young Justice #23 (September 2000): "Down Under Where"
Batman: Gotham Knights #33 (November 2002): "Tabula Rasa, Prologue: The Devil You Know..."
Young Justice #48 (October 2002): "Fighting Maad Part Two: D.O.A."
Young Justice #50 (December 2002): "Fighting Maad Part Four: M.U.B.A.R."
52 #25 (December 2006): "Liminal Times" [deceased]
Batman vol.3 #28 (October 2017) "The War of Jokes and Riddles Part III"
Batman vol.3 #30 (November 2017) "The War of Jokes and Riddles Part Part V"
Batman vol.3 #31 (November 2017) "The War of Jokes and Riddles Part VI"

Tags
batman