The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
But Marvel isn't the original Cinematic Universe, it's the Monsters. If anyone has the right to try it it's them. Many studios have pulled off a cinematic universe before Marvel Studios even existed and arguably to a better extent. Sure Marvel made shared universes in movies a hip thing but to say they didn't only exist but weren't popular in a smaller scale before is a lie.

If this bombs I think they won't bother with it again for many years. IIRC there were rumors when the wolfman came out that it would begin a new monsters universe but that didn't plan out either, and then there was Dracula Untold.
Fine, I'll be specific: modern blockbuster cinematic universes.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #22
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Marvel made shared universes popular but it wasn't the first and it isn't the best, they're strategy was "Iron Man was a hit let's pump out origin films for Cap/Thor and make Avengers", it really wasn't built very well either and kind of lucked out. I understand what you're trying to say but even if they're doing it wrongly I think the other shared universes in development could work even if they're only going for it because it's popular now. TV has had great shared universes so I'm hopeful. Let's just hope the superhero fatigue doesn't crash the idea of shared universes.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #23
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

All those films were planned out years in advance. They didn't necessarily "luck out" with Iron Man and decide then to make more origin stories.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Marvel made shared universes popular but it wasn't the first and it isn't the best, they're strategy was "Iron Man was a hit let's pump out origin films for Cap/Thor and make Avengers", it really wasn't built very well either and kind of lucked out. I understand what you're trying to say but even if they're doing it wrongly I think the other shared universes in development could work even if they're only going for it because it's popular now. TV has had great shared universes so I'm hopeful. Let's just hope the superhero fatigue doesn't crash the idea of shared universes.
They COULD work, but the producers and studios are rushing and drooling so hard that they're not giving it the time TO work. And of course WB/DC keeps course-correcting so many times...

And let's be real, "shared universe" doesn't really describe the old Universal monster movies with Lon Chaney as the Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, et al. This is the 21st century, where people pay more attention to studios, who owns the IPs and creative rights, and what previous attempts have succeeded or crashed and burned. "Avengers", average and overblown film that it was, still made history by deliberately investing in each previous film and reminding audiences, "Hey people, we're gonna throw ALL these characters into a blender and throw a big comicy mess onto a screen in 2012 JUST LIKE THE COMICS ALL YOU NERDS READ."

They did, and they made a sh!t-ton of cash and publicity for it. Then all of a sudden, rival studios gotta get a piece of that pie so "JUSTICE LEAGUE!" and "DAYS OF FUTURE PAST!" and whatever-the-hell a Transformers cinematic universe is supposed to be. The studios want it, the audiences expect it, and the critics mock it (rightly so).

It's a bubble, and it can't last forever. So yes, there have been plenty of crossovers before, whether it's the old black-and-white Universal monsters movies or Hanna-Barbara Flintstones/Jetsons cartoon movies or whatever. But for all practical intents and purposes, Avengers is the first (again, I'm being specific) modern blockbuster cinematic universe. And nobody else has pulled it off with anywhere near the same level of critical and financial success. Nor will they, I'm pretty sure.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

I admit, I did like The Mummy movies when I was a kid. They were fun movies for their time. I haven't watched them in years, btw, so no idea how well they hold up. But yeah, not interested in a remake. Why remake The Mummy of all things? It's not even that old, for crying out loud. What's next? Fast and Furious remakes?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #26
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

You could charitably call the Universal Monster cycle a shared universe, but it’s not a very cohesive one. They were all written and directed to be independent, and occasionally jammed together in ways that only partially made sense. Hell, some of the sequels to the individual films don’t even fit together all that well. It’s kind of like calling Nightmare on Elm St and Friday the 13th a shared universe because Freddy fought Jason one time.

That’s not to say they shouldn’t try to do it this time out, but if Universal is going to make a shared universe, I wish they would just stone up and go for it. Everything coming out of Hollywood these days is so half-assed and compromised, and it’s because of the obscene amounts of money tied up in these movies. Horror movies are better when they’re cheap anyway, so why not make a shared universe of sub $50 million movies, and take some risks?

Edit: Also, is it just me or did anyone else think that Bram Soker’s Dracula, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein and that Benicio del Toro Wolf Man movie all feel like they fit together?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #27
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
But it's more of a believing in Aliens but not the Chupacabra. They are a product of their time they've been spoofed and parodied so much it's difficult to take them seriously. Godzilla and say Batman are still able to find a way to be frightening.serious but to most these horror icons are just that icons, even Freddy and Jason can't be taken seriously anymore. I would love to see this cinematic universe work but I do find it a bit hard for them to do it., I think the best way to actually do it is to just remake the original stories in an old setting, the whole modern thing really makes it more difficult but let's see where it goes. I also never saw The Mummy reboot of the 00's and actually I've never seen any mummy movies now that I think about it
If people have a hard a time taking them seriously that's really thier own problem. I mean just because they for some reason associate the older cheesy movies with the newer ones is not the movie's fault.

Remake the original stories in an old setting for what exactly? The modern movies are basically remakes/reboots anyway.

Remaking Godzilla or King Kong in an older theme wouldn't do anything to benefit the universe idea. The modern movies are already establishing it.

Why re-remake them before doing crossovers? I'm sorry but it does not make any sense to do that.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #28
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I feel bad for Brendan Fraiser

I felt bad for Boris Karloff when Brendan Fraiser's mummy hit theaters. Still think Karloff's film was the superior film.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #29
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
I felt bad for Boris Karloff when Brendan Fraiser's mummy hit theaters. Still think Karloff's film was the superior film.
I don’t think his feelings were hurt, he’d been dead for 30 years at that point.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:23 AM   #30
Allio
Foot Elite

well, it is The Mummy. The rage of the dead is the scariest.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #31
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I felt bad for William Garwood when Boris Karloff crapped on his legacy with this "sound" movie that ruined the mood of the character.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #32
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I felt bad for William Garwood when Boris Karloff crapped on his legacy with this "sound" movie that ruined the mood of the character.
Sadly we cant judge this because the Mummy(1911) has long been lost. A shame we cant view it.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Apparently the reason why the Mummy is a women in this remake? According to Alex Kurtzman the Mummy originally was supposed to be male, But then he saw the end credit scene from X-Men: Days Of Future Past, and had to change it to a woman.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horro...ays-of-a147363
Quote:
"I'll let you in on a secret. There was a moment when I had sort of rendered a design that I liked for a male version of The Mummy. And in that version of The Mummy, the Mummy had been born with a skin pigmentation that at the time would have made him really sort of an outcast. And I thought it was an interesting backstory, because it began to tell the story of someone who had been bullied, which I found topical. I was reaching for a way to make the Mummy a character who is relatable, understandable, and that spoke to issues that we're dealing with now."

"I was going down that road, and then I saw the end of Days of Future Past. And they had the character that Oscar Isaac wound up playing as a boy, and it was, I kid you not, the exact same design. And I was like, 'Oh, man! That is not good!' And actually it was the catalyst, it was the moment of, 'Okay, not only is this not going to be different enough, Bryan Singer just did it, I definitely don't want to go down that road.' I had had that voice in my head for some time to make it a woman, and that was the moment where, the minute I saw that post-credits scene, I went, 'We have to start over.'"
Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #34
TheSkeletonMan939

Wow, the X-Men films are so bad that they're ruining completely different movies as well.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Sadly we cant judge this because the Mummy(1911) has long been lost. A shame we cant view it.
That movie has been found, even had a DVD release.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #36
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
really?

I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise either but I recognize he's a great actor and any movie he's in is usually somewhat entertaining at the very least.
@ me?

Yeah, I dunno, I don't think he's all that great. Some people feel like they're acting, others feel like the character. He's the former, in my eyes. Not necessarily a bad actor, though... It's hard to explain.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #37
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the new Trailer

Old 04-03-2017, 05:14 AM   #38
Allio
Foot Elite

honestly, it's like ghost in the shell. I just can't really imagine a it doing well in 2017. It just doesn't feel like there is an audience with casual goer.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #39
Mayhem
Foot Elite

One of the things that endeared me to the Fraser remake (and the sequels) is that they were still set in the 1930s. No technology or what-not, it had a vibe there. Not sure about this remake given it's in modern times.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #40
TheSkeletonMan939

This looks frickin' hilarious.