The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #161
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
After re-watching every MCU movie in the proper order pretty recently
Did you go IM, IM2, Thor, Hulk, Cap? That's the correct phase 1 order, as per a couple retcons/tie-in comics.

Quote:
The think the whole Iron Man trilogy is pretty good. IM3 is definitely better than IM2. Granted, the villains in both movies kind of suck. But I liked the MCU's take on the Mandarin, who I don't think would work as a villain in this day and age. I like the idea of a serious threat using a paid spokesperson to serve as the largely-unwitting face of their criminal enterprise.
I totally agree that the comic book Mandarin would never work, but it was total bullsh*t that we were lead to believe that they were going to follow up on the 10 Rings terrorist organization from the first movie, only to Rico Swerve us into a lame version of AIM. Complete with no MODOK.

I also can't forgive how ridiculously silly most of the action at the shipping dock was during the big climax. Or the pitiful attempt to make us think Pepper died. Yeah right.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #162
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I totally agree that the comic book Mandarin would never work
He's out there, though. At least, some kind of other Mandarin that's actually of the 10 Rings.

My guess is they'll save that Mandarin for the Iron Man movie relaunch when they recast after Infinity War.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #163
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Don't say Tumblr never gave you nothing!

Oh truth, but...when people don't understand how to do that...we get movies like Man of Steel and the Snyder-verse.

Which is sad, because we could be getting more movies like Captain America, and Winter Soldier.

I'll admit that there's a fine line to walk between, but...life isn't JUST dour serious stuff. There's humor and fun to be found in even the darkest times, and the fact that there is, is what makes us human.
I will never see Thor in a movie the same way now. I'll just be picturing a big wuvable furry puppy wanting me to throw the tennis ball.

It absolutely is a fine line. I see it as humor being the salt to the story's meal; it brings out flavor, enhances it, makes it zestier.

But salt shouldn't be a side order. It should not be on the menu. Winter Soldier isn't a funny movie, but there are plenty of great moments and snarky bits in it. Same for Batman Begins.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #164
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He's out there, though. At least, some kind of other Mandarin that's actually of the 10 Rings.

Right. Even before that apology of a short film, there was the Iron Man 3 prequel comics that showed Rhodey wad kicking the 10 Rings ass as Iron Patriot for years. That's why he wasn't present for the big Chitauri fight in Avengers. He was on a mission in Afghanistan or something and didn't get there until right after the schwarma scene. Mandarin even had a partially-off-panel appearance.

So yeah, he's out there somewhere. I doubt they'll ever return to that plot point though.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #165
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I also can't forgive how ridiculously silly most of the action at the shipping dock was during the big climax. Or the pitiful attempt to make us think Pepper died. Yeah right.
I knew they wouldn't kill Pepper. But I'm pissed they didn't kill Happy.

Actually, I'm pissed at the entire MCU for never killing anyone... except Quicksilver, oddly enough.

WHY did anyone think it was necessary for Happy to survive? Or Rhodes in Civil War?

Quote:

My guess is they'll save that Mandarin for the Iron Man movie relaunch when they recast after Infinity War.
You really think they'll recast RDJ that quickly? I figure it'll be a lot longer wait than just Phase 4... they've got Benedict Cumberbatch to do the heavy lifting now, AKA Magic Iron Man.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #166
Dust
Foot Soldier

There's a guy working for the 10 Rings in Ant-Man so I don't think it's completely forgotten about, but I'm not confident it'll get resolved.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #167
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I hope it doesn't.
I'm tired of holistic stories that end with 100% resolution.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #168
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
There's a guy working for the 10 Rings in Ant-Man so I don't think it's completely forgotten about, but I'm not confident it'll get resolved.
Really? I feel like I would have caught that. You sure you're not thinking Hydra?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #169
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Really? I feel like I would have caught that. You sure you're not thinking Hydra?
Hydra.

The footage of Hank Pym as Ant-Man fighting soldiers was supposed to be him versus the Ten Rings in an extended opening scene that was cut down to the security footage.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #170
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Did you go IM, IM2, Thor, Hulk, Cap? That's the correct phase 1 order, as per a couple retcons/tie-in comics.
Oh yeah man, all the way from Iron Man 1 to Dr. Strange (which share a lot of similarities, as people have noted). I haven't read any of the comic tie-ins though, or seen any of the shorts

Everything in the MCU definitely works for the most part, although personal preference plays a big role too.

If somebody is a grimdark edgelord, they might not appreciate the moments of levity in the Marvel films, and might prefer the washed-out, teeth-gritting offerings coming out of the DCEU.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #171
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Oh yeah man, all the way from Iron Man 1 to Dr. Strange (which share a lot of similarities, as people have noted). I haven't read any of the comic tie-ins though, or seen any of the shorts
At the very least, I would recommend reading the Fury's Big Week TPB.

Also, Iron Man 2: Public Identity takes place not long after IM1, and features General Ross and flashbacks to Anton Vanko/Howard Stark. It could have been a movie all on it's own. Definitely better than IM2 & 3 lol.

Thor: The Dark World prelude fills in some gaps in Avengers.

Captain America: First Vengeance shows more Cap at War, which is nice considering the movie just had the crappy montage. Shows the Howling Commandos all meeting for the first time too.

As for the shorts, The Consultant was cool and enlightening. It explains Tony's real intentions when he confronts Ross in the bar at the end of TIH. It's like a minute long and readily available on youtube.

The rest are fun, but superfluous.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #172
Dust
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hydra.

The footage of Hank Pym as Ant-Man fighting soldiers was supposed to be him versus the Ten Rings in an extended opening scene that was cut down to the security footage.
I could swear there was another guy with the HYDRA guys who had a Ten Rings tattoo
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #173
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I could swear there was another guy with the HYDRA guys who had a Ten Rings tattoo
Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #174
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
At the very least, I would recommend reading the Fury's Big Week TPB.

Also, Iron Man 2: Public Identity takes place not long after IM1, and features General Ross and flashbacks to Anton Vanko/Howard Stark. It could have been a movie all on it's own. Definitely better than IM2 & 3 lol.

Thor: The Dark World prelude fills in some gaps in Avengers.

Captain America: First Vengeance shows more Cap at War, which is nice considering the movie just had the crappy montage. Shows the Howling Commandos all meeting for the first time too.

As for the shorts, The Consultant was cool and enlightening. It explains Tony's real intentions when he confronts Ross in the bar at the end of TIH. It's like a minute long and readily available on youtube.

The rest are fun, but superfluous.
Man you know what I just thought? I wouldn't mind reading a whole comic series of the MCU.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #175
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Deleted scenes have that guy. In the commentary the director specially pointed it out.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 AM   #176
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Whoa... Portman IS in it?

https://mobile.twitter.com/taikawait...63541624307712
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #177
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Hmm...maybe an end credits scene appearance?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #178
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Why is she in it? And why is she pregnant? (Or is that just a really bad angle?)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 AM   #179
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

It's a picture from a movie she did 15 years ago. Not sure why people are jumping to the conclusion that she's in Ragnarok based on his tweet when Feige and Portman have both said she's not in it.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 AM   #180
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
It's a picture from a movie she did 15 years ago. Not sure why people are jumping to the conclusion that she's in Ragnarok based on his tweet when Feige and Portman have both said she's not in it.
Thank Odin.

Tags
marvel cinematic titanic, ragnacuck, whor 3: ragnacock