The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 04:17 PM   #861
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
i finally saw a little bit of dr.strange after skipping it intheaters for just not looking that interesting.

i stopped around the 45 minute mark. rich arrogant assohole gets more arrogant after accident and i'm supposed to feel sorry for this looser? he got worse somehow!

maybe it gets better.. but this is one marvel movie i didn't have much interest in from the start.
Dr. Strange isn't the worst Marvel flick but it's definitely the most formulaic and blandest. Even the post-credits scene felt mandatory as hell. It's getting to the point now where I don't even care if the world is in danger because I know that no civilian will ever be harmed, maybe not even touched.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #862
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Damn. The trades are now projecting a $95-97 million domestic box office this weekend which would be the lowest DCEU opening so far.

I never would've believed that a JL movie wouldn't break $100 million opening weekend or that a Thor movie would beat its opening weekend by $25 million.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #863
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
this is exactly why people should just watch the trailer and judge for themselves if they want to see a movie or not.

i just can't wrap my brain around the idea that people could need their hands held so badly, that they'd need someone else's say so to go see a movie or not.

so much for free will

Old 11-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #864
CyberCubed
Overlord

And to think if Zack Synder was not the director of Man of Steel, none of this would have happened. DC superheroes are tremendously popular, Batman has the top selling superhero comics for decades.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM   #865
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And to think if Zack Synder was not the director of Man of Steel, none of this would have happened. DC superheroes are tremendously popular, Batman has the top selling superhero comics for decades.
makes you wonder who's brilliant idea it was to hold off on the next Batman solo film and push forward movies of lesser known heroes.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #866
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Zack Snyder hasn't seen Justice League, and apologizes to the fans, for not being able to finish it.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justi...-movie-a155465
Old 11-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #867
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Zack Snyder hasn't seen Justice League, and apologizes to the fans, for not being able to finish it.
But... he did finish it. He had a fully completed cut of the movie that was screened to all of the execs.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #868
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
i'm still waiting for his apology for making zombies run.

^ these guys look like frikken athletes!!
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #869
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's true that reviews are full of plants, you gotta be smart in how you curate the reviews that you read and not movie reviews but even stuff on Amazon.

How many years will it be before we get Justice League The Snyder Cut?
I think I'll enjoy that version a lot more even if it has bigger flaws.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #870
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
How many years will it be before we get Justice League The Snyder Cut?
I think I'll enjoy that version a lot more even if it has bigger flaws.
I think they owe it to Snyder and at least the cast that spent all that time and energy executing that original vision to make it available eventually.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #871
AquaParade
Banned

As someone who enjoyed MoS and BvS, I am really hoping they release Snyder’s cut at some point. This felt like a sequel from an alternate universe. It was pretty funny. Maybe even charming. But damn, I have no desire to ever see it again.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #872
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

It's amazing that it might not even crack $100m... But it's not that surprising. For as vocal as his fans are, Snyder's work is just divisive. It's pretty clear most folks either love 'em or hate 'em, and when you're making superhero blockbusters in an already-crowded market, they need to be crowd-pleasers.

And sorry, but they just aren't especially good either. Being "different" and "darker" than Marvel doesn't make up for weak characters, lousy plots, and bizarre creative choices that don't remotely suit the icons being represented. Snyder's definitely talented, but IMO, they hyped him up way too much as a "visionary" and didn't have the support structure needed to really make all this work.

I feel like a soft reboot with "Flashpoint" is all but inevitable if this underperforms. Once it was announced I had a feeling that was already the plan. They've invested too much time and money to flush the DCEU entirely, but they can still clean as much of the slate as possible and start fresh with a different vision and voice guiding the whole thing. Which would probably mean rejecting as much of Snyder's tone and mood as possible. It gives them an easy out to recast Batman (and anyone else who might want out), clean up some plot holes, and freely ignore any divisive or controversial elements they'd rather not have bogging things down.

(And total wishful thinking here, but I'd be pretty damned okay if they chose to wipe away Batman torturing and branding criminals to be murdered in prison, and maybe even put in a a shot of Zod in a kryptonite-fortified underground cell under artificial red sunlight... )

Last edited by Bry; 11-17-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #873
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Dr. Strange isn't the worst Marvel flick but it's definitely the most formulaic and blandest. Even the post-credits scene felt mandatory as hell. It's getting to the point now where I don't even care if the world is in danger because I know that no civilian will ever be harmed, maybe not even touched.
Civil War?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #874
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Intend to watch this film soon, from what I heard most people enjoyed it despite being panned by critics.

Especially excited to see supes, he seems to be one part of the film both audiences and critics liked.

Except for that CGIed Upper Lip, is it really as big of an issue as I hear everyone say?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:11 PM   #875
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Except for that CGIed Upper Lip, is it really as big of an issue as I hear everyone say?
it's more noticeable in some scenes than others, but i can't say it really bothered me all that much.
not when you're watching an action flick that has so much CGI in it already.
at least that's just me, other people might start throwing their popcorn at the screen.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:29 AM   #876
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
this is exactly why people should just watch the trailer and judge for themselves if they want to see a movie or not.

i just can't wrap my brain around the idea that people could need their hands held so badly, that they'd need someone else's say so to go see a movie or not.
I know what you mean. I was mixed on MoS & hated BvS but I love these characters so there was no way I wasn't going to see this and judge for myself.

Plus the trailers, especially comic con & the final one, showed a lot of improvement from those films. They (WB/DC) listened to the complaints and made changes based on them. Whilst no one owes them anything (they got themselves into this mess after all) I do think that if people who didn't like or complained about the last ones (myself included) gave this movie a chance they'd be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I know

That said, MoS was recoverable from. As divisive as that film was, Superman was actually in a pretty decent place at the end of it. They could have moved forward from there.

The problem was they not only gave Snyder BvS and the JL in the wake of it, they also gave him free reign rather than ensuring he didn't make the same mistakes again. They allowed him to double down on all the divisive & criticised elements & scheduled JL to start without any room to manoeuvre if BvS failed.

After MoS being so divisive & as the intended launch of a cinematic universe BvS needed to be safe and it was anything but. He was totally the wrong man for the job.

Quote:
I'd rather he apologised for screwing up these characters so badly in the first place.

I feel horrible saying this because what he went through is something no parent should have to endure and from everything you read he really is a nice guy, but him leaving this movie was the best thing for it. I can't imagine them being able to course correct as much as they did if he were still at the helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think they owe it to Snyder and at least the cast that spent all that time and energy executing that original vision to make it available eventually.
Got to respectfully disagree here. From all reports his first cut was unwatchable which is why Whedon was brought in in the first place. I'd be curious to read a summary & see what was different but it's likely for the best if his actual cut remains dead & buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I feel like a soft reboot with "Flashpoint" is all but inevitable if this underperforms. Once it was announced I had a feeling that was already the plan. They've invested too much time and money to flush the DCEU entirely, but they can still clean as much of the slate as possible and start fresh with a different vision and voice guiding the whole thing. Which would probably mean rejecting as much of Snyder's tone and mood as possible. It gives them an easy out to recast Batman (and anyone else who might want out), clean up some plot holes, and freely ignore any divisive or controversial elements they'd rather not have bogging things down.
I keep saying this but JL really is a soft reboot. There are some moments that feel distinctly Snyder(the opening montage for one) but on the whole it feels like Whedon's movie. It may complete Snyder's trilogy but I'd bet good money it's not what he intended & it works just as well as a stand alone. In fact you could say it works better as a stand alone. There's actually a continuity issue with the mother boxes to BvS & Superman's personality is fixed not with an arc but with a retcon approach of "this is Superman and this is how he's always been"

Flashpoint may tweak some continuity stuff but JL is the course correction & house cleaning of the DCEU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Especially excited to see supes, he seems to be one part of the film both audiences and critics liked.

Superman's my favourite part. He finally felt right. If you look for the CGI you'll definitely be able to see it in some scenes (his first being the worst) but overall it's not as bad a people make out. If you aren't looking for it you'll probably think something is a little off a couple of times (first appearance especially) but it shouldn't bother you that much.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #877
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Saw it last night, I really enjoyed it.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #878
Vegita-San
Emperor

yeah. snyders version was claimed as unwatchable.

It's a shame it took such a tragedy to get him off the project though.

should have been done after man of Steel.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #879
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Damn, Affleck really phoned in this performance.

"I guarantee you Steppenwolf isn't out there talking about ethics"
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #880
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
yeah. snyders version was claimed as unwatchable.
By who, though? The same WB suits who created this game plan and mess in the first place?