The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Facebook isn’t working time to call the police

Facebook stopped working recently. People in my state of Washington decided it was time to call the police. I guess it’s not a new thing. Also happen in the California area back in 2014 when Facebook temporarily stopped working. I suppose people panic and dialing 911 is just instinctual.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...178280476.html

http://komonews.com/news/offbeat/bot...cebook-is-down
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

lol...

Anyway, I thought FB wasn't as popular as it used to be anymore? Sure it's still a huge website, but I notice that my friends/contacts aren't as active there as they were before 2015 or so. Most of my feed consists of content from pages I follow, mainly news. People prefer to post their nice photos on Instagram and more and more people seem to be migrating to Twitter. twitter seems to have gained more popularity in the last few years, especially when it comes to covering live events and tragedies. I remember tweeter being considered a bit of a joke back in 2009-2010. Nowadays I see more and more people calling it the best of the big social networks.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah Twitter sure seems to be the most popular lately. Since Photobucket screwing up everything. I’ve been thinking about getting a Facebook and Instagram accounts for sharing photos and interacting with other collectors. I’m surprised more people didn’t call police to report Photobucket for extortion. Yeah I’m still a little bitter.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Twitter definitely isnt as popular as it once was, especially with the whole picking and choosing what to enforce the rules over.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Worthy of a whole lotta' facepalm.
Spoiler:

911 for a down and unessential website... I think it's time for humanity to call it quits.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Twitter definitely isnt as popular as it once was, especially with the whole picking and choosing what to enforce the rules over.
Oh really? So if facebook and twitter are both losing activity then which social network is gaining popularity? Instagram? And I guess youtube is stronger than ever these days?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Call the police? I would have thought this would be a more appropriate response:

Old 10-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #8
newfan
Mad Scientist

I bet the police have had a lot of stupid call outs.

I've also come to notice that more people use instagram now, I didn't want to be on too many platforms so I chose twitter a few years back for following shows/celebs, my friends and family don't use it. People do seem a bit less active on FB now but they are still on there.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I bet the police have had a lot of stupid call outs.

I've also come to notice that more people use instagram now, I didn't want to be on too many platforms so I chose twitter a few years back for following shows/celebs, my friends and family don't use it. People do seem a bit less active on FB now but they are still on there.
I think FB is more popular among older crowds while younger people prefer IG and Twitter.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #10
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Oh really? So if facebook and twitter are both losing activity then which social network is gaining popularity? Instagram? And I guess youtube is stronger than ever these days?
Instagram or Snapchat would be my best guess. YouTube has taken a hit with all the crap they've done the past few months.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
I think FB is more popular among older crowds while younger people prefer IG and Twitter.
Hmm, could be. Maybe too many parents got into using it, so the younger users went elsewhere. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Instagram or Snapchat would be my best guess. YouTube has taken a hit with all the crap they've done the past few months.
What is Snapchat even about, anyway? Never got that one.

What crap in the past few months has YouTube been doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Hmm, could be. Maybe too many parents got into using it, so the younger users went elsewhere. lol
yeah, social networks were already a thing in the early-mid 90s before FB became a global thing. Places such as Livejournal, MySpace, hi5, etc. already existed, but most people using those places were under 25 pretty much. Then FB became a worldwide hit and suddenly our parents and grandparents joined the social media train as well. Also, in the older social networks mentioned above you weren't exactly advertising to the world what you were having for dinner and such. So it wasn't exactly the same thing.

Wasn't FB originally just for American university students? How was it seen back then? Did anyone predict back in 2006 that it would become a worldwide hit?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #13
sdp
-

Just clearing up some misinformation in this thread

Youtube hasn't taken any hits, it's doing as well as it has, the adpocalypse has only hurt content creators, the audience remains loyal to youtube, a few thousand vocal people are nothing to youtube.

Facebook is not used that much by younger people indeed and is mostly populated by older people, and while it hasn't grown a lot recently, it isn't going the myspace route anytime soon, Facebook is too prepared buying up anything it sees potential in like Instagram and Whatsapp.

Twitter has actually seen an increase in usage thanks to the President of the US, not the other way around. Twitter does have financial issues but that's because it hasn't been able to monetize as well or continue growth that is expected from them.

Snapchat seemed to be the next big thing and it started as a sexting app, however its mostly stumbled thanks to Facebook copying things that defined snapchat into Instagram, Whatsapp and even Facebook.

Instagram pretty popular and also none of you have mentioned Periscope.

As for the story itself, Facebook might not be super popular with "the kids" but its still a thing and again used by older folk who don't understand technology who would be the ones calling the police.

Quote:
yeah, social networks were already a thing in the early-mid 90s before FB became a global thing. Places such as Livejournal, MySpace, hi5, etc. already existed, but most people using those places were under 25 pretty much. Then FB became a worldwide hit and suddenly our parents and grandparents joined the social media train as well. Also, in the older social networks mentioned above you weren't exactly advertising to the world what you were having for dinner and such. So it wasn't exactly the same thing.

Wasn't FB originally just for American university students? How was it seen back then? Did anyone predict back in 2006 that it would become a worldwide hit?
Social networks weren't a thing int he mid 90s, you mean mid 00's. Livejournal was a blog and not a social network, myspace was the first one that revolutionized the modern "social network" and it was wildly popular, hell its referenced in the first Iron Man movie. Sadly it didn't know how to manage and along came Facebook which started as a Harvard University only thing but from there it went to other big name universities, which gave it an "exclusivity" vibe, and then only college emails were accepted into Facebook so it had the "I'm cool because I use FB" While Myspace looked more and more like geocities websites of the 90s. When they let anyone join all the young people wanted to be hip and started to join FB leaving myspace to slowly die, as it got more popular companies started using it more and more and with the advent of smartphones and tablets everyone and their mother had a facebook account.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Youtube hasn't taken any hits, it's doing as well as it has, the adpocalypse has only hurt content creators, the audience remains loyal to youtube, a few thousand vocal people are nothing to youtube.

Facebook is not used that much by younger people indeed and is mostly populated by older people, and while it hasn't grown a lot recently, it isn't going the myspace route anytime soon, Facebook is too prepared buying up anything it sees potential in like Instagram and Whatsapp.

Twitter has actually seen an increase in usage thanks to the President of the US, not the other way around. Twitter does have financial issues but that's because it hasn't been able to monetize as well or continue growth that is expected from them.

Snapchat seemed to be the next big thing and it started as a sexting app, however its mostly stumbled thanks to Facebook copying things that defined snapchat into Instagram, Whatsapp and even Facebook.

Instagram pretty popular and also none of you have mentioned Periscope.

As for the story itself, Facebook might not be super popular with "the kids" but its still a thing and again used by older folk who don't understand technology who would be the ones calling the police.
Yeah, I thought youtube was bigger than ever considering they even make some tv shows these days there. Getting a couple of million of views back in 2006 was a huge deal on YT. Nowadays not so much. YT has changed a lot since its early days. In 2006-2007 it was mostly a place to stream older anime, cartoons and tv shows. Well you can still do that there, but newer stuff gets taken down quickly. 2006-2007 YT was also a goldmine for wrestling videos, and the top YT celebrities were people like Smosh and the Angry Video Game Nerd.

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't have Whatsapp.

Periscope? What is that?

I thought IG had always been owned by FB?

Anyway, there's WAY too many of these social networks these days and they're all basically the same thing. Unless you run a business is it really worth it to have an account in every of those?

Quote:

Social networks weren't a thing int he mid 90s, you mean mid 00's. Livejournal was a blog and not a social network, myspace was the first one that revolutionized the modern "social network" and it was wildly popular, hell its referenced in the first Iron Man movie. Sadly it didn't know how to manage and along came Facebook which started as a Harvard University only thing but from there it went to other big name universities, which gave it an "exclusivity" vibe, and then only college emails were accepted into Facebook so it had the "I'm cool because I use FB" While Myspace looked more and more like geocities websites of the 90s. When they let anyone join all the young people wanted to be hip and started to join FB leaving myspace to slowly die, as it got more popular companies started using it more and more and with the advent of smartphones and tablets everyone and their mother had a facebook account.
Wait, I did mean early-mid 2000s. Why did I type 90s? lol

Ah blogs were a thing for a while around 2003-2006 iirc. Do people still have those?

MySpace was a rather niche website in my country. Only musicians and aspiring musicians used it. Hi5 was the social network teenagers and people aged 20-25 here used before FB nearly killed it.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #15
sdp
-

Quote:
Yeah, I thought youtube was bigger than ever considering they even make some tv shows these days there. Getting a couple of million of views back in 2006 was a huge deal on YT. Nowadays not so much. YT has changed a lot since its early days. In 2006-2007 it was mostly a place to stream older anime, cartoons and tv shows. Well you can still do that there, but newer stuff gets taken down quickly. 2006-2007 YT was also a goldmine for wrestling videos, and the top YT celebrities were people like Smosh and the Angry Video Game Nerd.
Youtube has changed a lot over the years, but I mean a lot, I remember thinking that youtube "changed" for me around the time they changed the commenting system but that's probably been close to 10 years

But yeah, originally youtube was awesome it was a way for cybernauts share their stuff with other cybernauts, it wasn't any different than a forum so to speak, the more it grew the more diverse which while sad was ok.

The big change in youtube was when they allowed anyone to monetize videos, that's when "modern" youtube stars came on board whose only interest was not really the community but $$$$$$ instead, and that's what you see now, entitled youtubers who don't understand youtube owes them nothing and care more about views than their actual content.

Sure in the past we may have had groan worthy AMVs but hey, they were made with passion, now everyone wants to make money "making videos", instead of sharing cool original content like in the old days. That's not to say everyone on youtube is bad or youtube is bad, there's plenty of great things but youtube changed because the people making videos are in it for a financial motive for the most part and not as a hobby.

Quote:
I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't have Whatsapp.

Periscope? What is that?

I thought IG had always been owned by FB?

Anyway, there's WAY too many of these social networks these days and they're all basically the same thing. Unless you run a business is it really worth it to have an account in every of those?
Whatsapp seems to be very popular in latin america and europe but not really used in the US or Asia, Asia uses Wechat.

Periscope is exactly the same as Facebook live since like I said Facebook copies any new app, then again periscope was a copy of meerkat which now doesn't exist, periscope was bought by twitter. There was also vine which was cool for a while and had 5 second videos but twitter bought it and killed it recently since it wasn't growing.

If you run a business it's important to have a presence in all of them though you'll see that your brand mostly interacts with one of them, depending on the company some do better on FB, others on Twitter etc. So pay more attention to the one that is important, most companies have plenty of "social media gurus" to do it for them but if you're alone there are apps that can do all of them at the same time. The importance of social media in your business really depends but you need to do it, it's presence.

I also edited my post explaining a quick crash course on Facebook that you were asking.

Quote:
Ah blogs were a thing for a while around 2003-2006 iirc. Do people still have those?

MySpace was a rather niche website in my country. Only musicians and aspiring musicians used it. Hi5 was the social network teenagers and people aged 20-25 here used before FB nearly killed it.
\
Yeah blogs were huge back then, they were around since the 00's or so but they were very different being mostly "diaries", it was around 2003 where most became news sites which are still relevant today, hell I have a blog though I try to arrange my site more like a "Web 1.0" site even if i'm running wordpress, that's just my preference of sites as "articles" that are always relevant and not "today's blog post".

Hi5 was more popula internationally but in the US it was all about myspace.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Youtube has changed a lot over the years, but I mean a lot, I remember thinking that youtube "changed" for me around the time they changed the commenting system but that's probably been close to 10 years

But yeah, originally youtube was awesome it was a way for cybernauts share their stuff with other cybernauts, it wasn't any different than a forum so to speak, the more it grew the more diverse which while sad was ok.

The big change in youtube was when they allowed anyone to monetize videos, that's when "modern" youtube stars came on board whose only interest was not really the community but $$$$$$ instead, and that's what you see now, entitled youtubers who don't understand youtube owes them nothing and care more about views than their actual content.

Sure in the past we may have had groan worthy AMVs but hey, they were made with passion, now everyone wants to make money "making videos", instead of sharing cool original content like in the old days. That's not to say everyone on youtube is bad or youtube is bad, there's plenty of great things but youtube changed because the people making videos are in it for a financial motive for the most part and not as a hobby.
Another thing that we gotta remember is that, back then, phone cameras were pretty lousy. It's not like these days where most people don't even bother buying cameras anymore and can shoot a decent quality short video with their phone or tablet. That being said, the production values of videos by average joes on youtube seem to have increased a lot. I remember when most videos uploaded by people had rather lousy quality and everyone envied the quality of videos by Smosh and AVGN.

AMVs were harmless and a good way to practice video editing skills.

I can't even keep track of the way YT has changed in the past decade. It changes like 2-3 times a year.

Quote:
If you run a business it's important to have a presence in all of them though you'll see that your brand mostly interacts with one of them, depending on the company some do better on FB, others on Twitter etc. So pay more attention to the one that is important, most companies have plenty of "social media gurus" to do it for them but if you're alone there are apps that can do all of them at the same time. The importance of social media in your business really depends but you need to do it, it's presence.
Yeah, like I said, if you run a business ofc having a big presence on social networks is important, but if you're just an average joe who doesn't own a business, then is there really a point in having accounts in every of those websites? I mean FB alone seems sufficient for me to keep me informed of what my contacts are up to and what are the current hot news.

Hi5 was popular in a random assortment of countries throughout the globe. I used to think it was mostly a Portuguese thing but turns out it was big in Ukraine, Mongolia and a few random Latin American countries as well. It's odd how Hi5 is an American company yet it doesn't have much presence in USA.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #17
sdp
-

If you're an average joe then you should use whatever you prefer, even though most people I know use Instagram I don't like it and don't use it since I don't take many pictures. On the other hand I love twitter, not a fan of Facebook though I use it because of school where most people like to communicate there.

It's also important to check new stuff out though or you'll be left behind on the technodrome forums with others who refused to change

=
Old 10-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
If you're an average joe then you should use whatever you prefer, even though most people I know use Instagram I don't like it and don't use it since I don't take many pictures. On the other hand I love twitter, not a fan of Facebook though I use it because of school where most people like to communicate there.

It's also important to check new stuff out though or you'll be left behind on the technodrome forums with others who refused to change

=
I enjoy taking pictures... but I don't have Instagram. And I don't feel like making an account there just to post an occasional picture I take of a nice looking building outside. I just share it on FB. I guess on IG people are more comfortable with making their profiles public, but I'm not interested in showing pictures I take of stuff to the whole world tbh.

IG seems to rely a lot on female models and good looking girls in their 20s showing off their "assets" there. It's like every time you check out a thread online about some hot girl you never heard of it turns out to be some girl who is famous on Instagram.

And I think the day FB truly dies I will notice it. And yes, when you're a student, FB is the most useful network due to the discussion groups. Also, I suspect a lot of people keep their FB profiles due to its messenger app. Afaik, IG and Twitter don't have that.