The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #681
The Deadman
Foot Elite

No...no they haven't lol.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E5).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #682
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Check out the 1st part of a 2 part Animated Short based on Team Sonic Racing called "Team Sonic Racing: Overdrive".

Its created by the same people that worked on Sonic Mania Adventures.
Here's Part 2 of the Animated Short.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #683
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hooray for a new Crush 40 contribution: Green Light Go!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #684
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
No...no they haven't lol.
What do you mean by "they haven't"?

Sega's last decent Sonic game was Generations, and that was nearly eight years ago.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #685
The Deadman
Foot Elite

You're claiming all 3D Sonic's are bad. They haven't been.

Unleashed
Colors
Generations
Forces (very underrated)

The ones that are trash are '06, Secret Rings, Black Knight and Sonic Boom.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #686
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
You're claiming all 3D Sonic's are bad. They haven't been.

Unleashed
Colors
Generations
Forces (very underrated)

The ones that are trash are '06, Secret Rings, Black Knight and Sonic Boom.
Let's not forget Sonic Adventures 1 and 2. Both were good.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #687
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Adventure 1 and 2 were before the whole "HERP DERP SEGA CAN'T GET 3D SONIC RIGHT".

Old 04-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #688
Turo602
The King of Kings

The Sonic Adventure games were nothing special in their time and have aged poorly. The best parts of them were the Sonic/Shadow stages, but there's still a whole lot of game left that's just not as fun or even good, including some of those later Sonic/Shadow stages.

Unleashed isn't a good game either. Only a handful of the daytime stages are actually good, and the rest are awful. The Werehog itself isn't that bad, but it's not Sonic, it overstays its welcome, and gets very repetitive and boring. I can never understand why people still try to classify Unleashed as one of the good Sonic games. It's like they only remember the good and charming stuff like its Pixar-like art style and fun hub worlds, but overall, it just isn't a good game.

And in what world is Sonic Forces underrated? Like, how? What's so great about it other than the novelty of creating your own character? Sonic Forces was a great concept that was unfortunately very half-baked. It is the very definition of mediocre.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #689
sdp
-

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on Dreamcast were both generally well received by people and critics alike, it wasn't until Sonic Adventure 2 Battle came out on Gamecube that IGN gave the game a bad grade saying it sucked and more places started to talk bad about the game, the next game Heroes was met with bad reviews everywhere and the "3D sonic games suck" kept going from there.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:08 AM   #690
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Some of them did suck, though. I loved Sonic Adventure 1, despite only playing a small fraction of the game as Sonic.

I remember playing one of the Sonic games for X-box in a store once and hating it. It didn't even feel like a I was playing a game.

And the notion of Sonic turning into a monster kind of defeated the purpose of the whole thing. I bought the games because of they were pretty much the same thing but with different levels with each new installment. The idea of changing the core game play turned me off to it, and I haven't been back since. I want to check out Sonic 4, but I don't have time. Do they even still sell it?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #691
sdp
-

A game may age badly but if you have to look back at how it was when it released. Here is my review of the 3D sonic games I've played:

SA1: Yeah camera and other things get in the way but overall in 1999 it felt fresh enough from other 3D platformers. I'd say it's a bit slow and having to play through all the characters is not the best but a good game.

SA2: Got rid of the hub so the gameplay is much quicker, story is faster and overall it's a great fun game. Sure controls aren't perfect sometimes but totally passable and a great game.

SHeroes: All people asked was a game with only sonic levels and while this had a gimmick it was basically that. I liked changing the characters between them. Bad thing is you need to play through the same game like 3 times to get to the real final level and that's boring/hard.

Shadow the Hedgehog: By this time it was considered cool to hate on 3D Sonic games and as soon as they were released they had no chance. This was hated since the trailer since it had guns and shadow could use them but it was basically the game everyone and game magazines asked for; A Sonic 3D game with only sonic levels. The vehicles and guns are for the most part optional so not even necessary however they're almost all of them super fun to use so you want to use them. The good/neutral/bad sides means you don't mind playing through the game many times over since it usually reveals new things even if they went overboard with all the paths and that hides the fact that it's a short game. Best 3D game yet.

Haven't played the others but overall the "worst" Sonic game is actually fairly decent. I know Unleashed has fans, Colors is loved, Lost World is fine, Generations is loved. Only 06 and Forces seem to be mostly negative and both were titles rushed. I don't think 3D sonic is as bad as people make it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
The idea of changing the core game play turned me off to it, and I haven't been back since. I want to check out Sonic 4, but I don't have time. Do they even still sell it?
Well, it's not out on new consoles but it should be in the stores for PS3/360/Wii U and it's on Steam often on sale. It was supposed to be 3 "episodes/games" long but they stopped after Episode 2. They're ok games, just a bit bland with some issues here and there
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #692
The Deadman
Foot Elite

They're doing a Team Sonic Racing stream on the Twitch channel
https://www.twitch.tv/sonic

Old 05-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #693
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Team Sonic Racing has far surpassed my expectations. Game is a lot of fun.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #694
Leo656
The Franchise

I just got done re-playing Sonic Adventure on Gamecube. It's got its flaws and it's definitely padded for length but I still like it a whole lot. It's not like Big or Amy have a lot of levels, and at least they're short. They don't add much but they don't hurt anything. And the Sonic levels are among the best.

I still dig it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 PM   #695
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Sdp- Shadow was actually decent. The guns controlled well too.

06 is just exaggerated. The controls seem stiff to me and the load times are unnecessarily longer than normal but the glitches people talk about do not break the game. You have to purposely trigger them. I’ve only seen it in videos.

Finally played Mania and Forces recently. They’re good but Forces feels a bit too easy. The difficulty setting does not matter. It only changes the rings. I hope they expand the character creator in another game.

I like that they’re connected with the Phantom Ruby being part of both universes.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:10 AM   #696
Leo656
The Franchise

Sonic 2006 has way too many spots that randomly fling you off the track and kill you. It was possible for that to happen in SA and occasionally happens in most of the 3D games, but it's by far the worst in '06. Plus the constant and way too long Load screens were atrocious.

I can push myself to finish most games that I start, but I don't think I bothered getting halfway through Sonic '06. It wasn't worth it; it simply wasn't fun. There's obviously worse games that exist, but that's by far one of the worst I've personally played in the last several years.

Meanwhile, I started SA2 and now I remember what a mixed bag THAT game was. The Sonic levels are really creative, but the Tails and Knuckles levels aren't half as much fun. I like the level designs for them, but not the gameplay. Knuckles's "scavenger hunt" missions weren't bad in the first game, but they slowed the game to a crawl; making the levels ten times larger didn't help anything, even though the levels themselves are cool and kind of fun to explore. But it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, sometimes, and trying to find that one last Emerald/key/etc. when you just want to finish the level can be irritating sometimes.

At least the side missions in SA were reasonably short. There's some neat ideas in SA2 but the execution was lacking. The Sonic levels are quite good and arguably improved from the first game, but they're far too short compared to the less-fun Tails and Knuckles levels. And whose bright idea was it to fuse Tails' levels with E-102 Gamma's, except with worse controls?

I like the game but I'm remembering why I only finished it once, whereas I've beaten the first SA several times. SA2 had some improvements and neat ideas, but I think the first is more fun to play. I think this game is where the series actually started to fall off a bit, and people just blame the first SA for introducing the series to 3D in the first place.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #697
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Sdp- Shadow was actually decent. The guns controlled well too.

06 is just exaggerated. The controls seem stiff to me and the load times are unnecessarily longer than normal but the glitches people talk about do not break the game. You have to purposely trigger them. I’ve only seen it in videos.

Finally played Mania and Forces recently. They’re good but Forces feels a bit too easy. The difficulty setting does not matter. It only changes the rings. I hope they expand the character creator in another game.

I like that they’re connected with the Phantom Ruby being part of both universes.
There were somethings in Shadow that worked like the gun mechanics for example. But everything else like the controls, mission structure, ridiculously convoluted story, and having to play the game through ten non-canonical endings just to get to the true ending is a turn-off.

Glitches may or may not happen. Situations like Sonic falling through a certain loop in Wave Ocean or Knuckles and Rouge getting stuck on walls is not something you purposely trigger.

Forces is too easy because levels are 1-2 minutes long.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #698
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Oh I actually did get stuck on walls a couple times. That was the only true glitch I ever encountered. Falling through floors and stuff I’ve only seen on YouTube.

I do not think Forces easy difficulty is from short levels. Even the final stages don’t seem to spike very much. There’s one or two that are hard but I feel it’s because the characters/controls are made to go really fast so you have to purposely slow down and time things.

They might remake SA. I wonder if they’d add the boost element. They’d have to redesign some levels for that. What about the Chaos? I never really got into it but it was a cute feature.

As for SA2 I was never fond of the gem hunting in either game but they were ok except for the ones that gave you a time limit.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #699
Leo656
The Franchise

Haven't they "remade" SA like a half-dozen times? I mean, yeah the graphics were very much of their time and even the graphics in SA2 were a huge improvement (despite that game more or less being rushed to market), but I don't know how much polish it really needs after they re-released it for the newer consoles a few years ago. The Gamecube version at least had a bunch of other Sonic games as unlockables. Eh.

I definitely want to play Mania and Forces but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe soon.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #700
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The GameCube version and other ports are mostly just cleaned up graphics and extra unlockables aren’t they? They’re not full on remakes. I’m sure they mean as if it were made today.

Tags
paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic