The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 01:01 PM   #1
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Snowmageddon

I don't know about y'all but the weather I've been dealing with this week has been insane. They closed my kid's school last Friday due to "threat of severe weather", which turned out to be a big, fat nothing, but now since Monday around midday we've had an arctic blast of weather and we've all been stuck at the house since then. The only time we've gone out is for walks around the apartment complex or me when I walked to the grocery store down the street.

This is particularly crazy for us in this area because I am in the Deep South, and we typically don't get anything like this for anywhere near as long. We might get a handful of hard freezes in a year, but usually no more than one or two nights at a time.

I'm about to go out to the grocery store again for more beer and groceries but gah damn am I ready for everything to thaw out lol
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Beware winter storm Indigo! Bwahahah!

*cough*

Deep south, huh? I did see the north end of Florida even got a freeze warning. Yikes! Careful if there's any ice. Goodness knows people in the south will handle ice and/or snow the way those of us on the East Coast handle an earthquake.

But yeah, it's been a bit crazy for the last week or so. Last Tues my area got nailed a bit by that other storm that caused damage in the area, but at least it stayed in the 50s overnight (extremely unusual, 20s and 30s would be more typical) so no one was going to freeze to death with a lot of power outages.

A week later... arctic blast, a few inches of snow (a measly amount here, but we never really got any at all last year) and a few more due tomorrow and some nights dropping to the teens. I don't look forward to piling more snow on top of surfaces that got an icy top coating last Tues and have otherwise hardened up.

Okay, that's enough winter, Spring can happen now.

edit: Anyone see the video the Weather Channel has played a couple times of cars in Houston apparently unexpectedly hitting ice on a bridge? Think it was from Monday. Most did pretty well (good job, folks!), but some of those poor people must have shat their pants over that.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-18-2024 at 02:15 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:03 PM   #3
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

I'm in Milwaukee WI and have about 20 or so inches of snow on the ground.Havent had this much snow depth at one time in about 10 years. We usually get a lot of snow then a thawing period pretty quickly to melt most of it away before the next winterstorm hits.

Plus it's near 0 with windchills as low as -30 for the week so awesome!

Monday looks to be the start of some melting with temperatures in the mid 30s and rain.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:17 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Nothing here in Seattle area. One day of snow a week ago (the first and only of the season), and by day I mean "2 hours." One day of some brief freezing rain a few days ago for an hour or two. A big joke of a winter again.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:01 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

The snow here would be your typical Illinois experience if it weren't for the days and days of sub-zero temperatures.

Can't take my dog outside for more than a minute before he stops walking and tries to hover his feet because they are freezing. I have to pick him up and bring him back in.

Today was a little better though - first real day above zero in days. I think it's 22 right now which feels warm compared to negative 11.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
I'm in Milwaukee WI and have about 20 or so inches of snow on the ground.Havent had this much snow depth at one time in about 10 years. We usually get a lot of snow then a thawing period pretty quickly to melt most of it away before the next winterstorm hits.

Plus it's near 0 with windchills as low as -30 for the week so awesome!

Monday looks to be the start of some melting with temperatures in the mid 30s and rain.
I miss big snows, we haven't had a particularly deep one in a long time.

Was prob over 20 years ago that we last got a really big one at 32". Not seen a foot in a long, long time either. Anymore it's usually around 3".

Were expecting 1 to 3 tomorrow, but they're now saying 4 to 6 for this region. Will believe it when see it.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:35 AM   #7
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Several people I know in the US have been commenting on harsher winter conditions this period than normal. And before anyone says, so much for climate change or global warming etc, a quick infographic as to why this is occuring in your neck of the woods.

We've had some quite low temps in the UK last week or so, -7C (19F) in the south of the country last two mornings which is almost unheard of in my time. Down as far as -16C (3F) in parts of Scotland.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:33 AM   #8
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

I learned a bit about that firsthand; our hot water lines froze over while our other lines didn't. Apparently it's a thing that pipes that run hot water freeze faster than regular ones.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:09 AM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I learned a bit about that firsthand; our hot water lines froze over while our other lines didn't. Apparently it's a thing that pipes that run hot water freeze faster than regular ones.
If you think that's crazy, you should see some of the stuff that can be done with a pot of boiling water taken outside in zero temperatures....
Old 01-19-2024, 03:22 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

After around 3" a few days ago and an added 4.5" - 5"-ish now (though its still snowing a little), it might be a two-parter and not impressive numbers, but it's collectively the most we've had in some years.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:29 AM   #11
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah, it doesn’t seem rational, but true, same if you want to freeze water to make ice cubes in the freezer, use warm water not cold, freezes faster.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:47 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Had a couple days with afternoon highs in the 20s (locally below average) last week and the rest all still at or below freezing and now this Friday will be 60s. Um. Okay.

We've had some scattered 60s during the winter for the last bunch of years, but this really didn't used to be normal. Not that I'm complaining, I'm excited to get a day that feels like spring, but it's still extremely weird.

Just what we need more of though... potholes. After they finally fixed the ones I regularly saw.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:23 PM   #13
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

What a difference a week makes.The week long of sub zero windchills ended on Sunday and it's been in the mid 30's so far this week with freezing rain and regular rain so its slowly melting 20 inches or so if snow. And lots of fog!
Old 01-24-2024, 04:34 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Was likewise foggy here today, seems weird to see it in January.

Also, did you guys know that pansies, or at least some varieties, do not give a rat's ass that it's winter and will keep blooming?

Had noticed some low growing flowers still blooming after we'd had a hard freeze a while back and finally got a look from my car window today to try to figure out what they were, as they're STILL blooming. They've been snowed on now and look a bit worse for wear, but they clearly still couldn't care less. They've earned more respect from me and now I want whatever variety that is. lol

1/26 -- Never made it to 60+ as promised. I has a sad.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-26-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:24 PM   #15
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

2 weeks later and the big snow depth is nearly depleted. It's been anywhere from the upper 30s to mid 40s the last 2 weeks which is pretty nice for Winter time in Wisconsin and no big snowstorm or cold weather in sight.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:28 PM   #16
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
2 weeks later and the big snow depth is nearly depleted. It's been anywhere from the upper 30s to mid 40s the last 2 weeks which is pretty nice for Winter time in Wisconsin and no big snowstorm or cold weather in sight.
It's the same in the greater Chicago area as well. It's always like that here now. Snows and then within days it's warm enough to rain and BAM! All Gone!

Tags
weather