The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #21
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
As much as I love 4Kids TMNT, "City at War" had as much to do with the original as "City Fall" in IDW... nothing.

"City at War" is not a story for kids, kiddies, or cartoons. If you water it down, you destroy it. Same for "Shades of Gray" or "Sons of the Silent Age."

Some Mirage stuff is good and can be reinterpreted rather loosely. Not those stories.
I enjoyed it and prefer it to the comic it came from. That is what matters.

Cubed, you think everything needs to be locked. Adaptation is just that. Its based on something and being translated within another format. Some are closer to the inspiration others. I prefer the 2003 cartoon takes on the Mirage stories opposed to the comics, because I am an other media centric fan.

I know the super powered turtles and Sliver story-line came from Tales vol.2 did anything else get carried over from the second Tales volume? I know it was running concurrently so it would be limited.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nothing much from Tales V. 2 came over, you have to remember Tales started in 2004, by then the 2k3 series had scripts through the end of Season 3 and the beginning of 4 already.

It's easy to forget Vol. 4/Tales were going on the same time as the 2k3 series, and they couldn't very well adapt material that either wasn't out yet or still being written.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nothing much from Tales V. 2 came over, you have to remember Tales started in 2004, by then the 2k3 series had scripts through the end of Season 3 and the beginning of 4 already.

It's easy to forget Vol. 4/Tales were going on the same time as the 2k3 series, and they couldn't very well adapt material that either wasn't out yet or still being written.
The Foot Mystics and Battle Nexus came out in both Mirage and 4Kids... I want to say both came out first in 4Kids before Laird took them to Mirage stories, though.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #24
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

A big glaring thing is anything whatsoever to do with Shadow

But I guess I can understand why they wouldn't cover any of that

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think the difference is 2k3 started off with Mirage as a framework but quickly became its own thing. It was never intended to be a Mirage show, just loosely based on its concepts.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #26
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

The guest-era stuff was unadapted (for obvious reasons), along with some of the single issue stories (The Passing, Dreams Of Stone, Distractions, etc.).

As much as I like the 2k3 series, it's adaptations left much to be desired. If they had tried to adapt some of the deeper stories, they most likely would've turned out as bad as their City At War.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #27
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They torpedoed "Return to New York" pretty spectacularly, too. People get so stuck on "but they really cut off Shredder's head just like in the comics!!!" (they didn't, btw) that they forget that 100% of the rest of the story is bastardized for toddlers and toys.
Andrew I think you have too much Nostalgia for the Mirage comics.
I read Return to New York and seen the 2k3 episode I actually prefer the 2k3 adaptation over the original Mirage version. As far as City at War I did not enjoy at all that much. When I finally got to read the Mirage City at War I was incredibly disappointed, just a complete let down. I think my expectations was just to high
(bc of you and everyone else on here )

My point is I think you gripe too much about the 2k3 series as a whole. It is a kids show, there is no way they could do a faithful adaptation of the source material given it was aimed at a young audience and the network and others would not allow a more graphic depiction. Insane in the Membrane is proof of that. I think they did a pretty good job given the circumstance.(season (1-4))
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

If the episodes of City at War had a different name, nobody would have mind. It was never going to adapt the themes and adult storylines of the comic version. They should have done something similar to IDW and called it "Cityfall" to distinguish it and leave expectations aside.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #29
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
They torpedoed "Return to New York" pretty spectacularly, too. People get so stuck on "but they really cut off Shredder's head just like in the comics!!!" (they didn't, btw) that they forget that 100% of the rest of the story is bastardized for toddlers and toys.
Your tears and salt are delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
RONG.

Mirage CaW is printed kino. 4kids CaW is gay.
It's was not funny, so it was not gay.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #30
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
I think the difference is 2k3 started off with Mirage as a framework but quickly became its own thing. It was never intended to be a Mirage show, just loosely based on its concepts.
Cubed gets it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I read Return to New York and seen the 2k3 episode I actually prefer the 2k3 adaptation over the original Mirage version. As far as City at War I did not enjoy at all that much. When I finally got to read the Mirage City at War I was incredibly disappointed, just a complete let down. I think my expectations was just to high
(bc of you and everyone else on here )

My point is I think you gripe too much about the 2k3 series as a whole. It is a kids show, there is no way they could do a faithful adaptation of the source material given it was aimed at a young audience and the network and others would not allow a more graphic depiction. Insane in the Membrane is proof of that. I think they did a pretty good job given the circumstance.(season (1-4))
What was it that you didn't like about the original version?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I enjoyed it and prefer it to the comic it came from. That is what matters.
OK.

Quote:
I prefer the 2003 cartoon takes on the Mirage stories opposed to the comics, because I am an other media centric fan.
I'm not sure what this means.

Quote:
True. But there are so many people around here that are like, "Mirage... 2k3... SAME THING! LOLZ!"

Dumb. Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I read Return to New York and seen the 2k3 episode I actually prefer the 2k3 adaptation over the original Mirage version.
Well there's no accounting for taste, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Your tears and salt are delicious!
Quote:
My point is I think you gripe too much about the 2k3 series as a whole. It is a kids show, there is no way they could do a faithful adaptation of the source material given it was aimed at a young audience and the network
No sh*t. I'm not "griping" about 2k3 any more than I "gripe" about any of the other cartoons... they're not intended for you or I, they're intended for this guy:

Which says more about you than it says anything about me.

Quote:
If the episodes of City at War had a different name, nobody would have mind. It was never going to adapt the themes and adult storylines of the comic version. They should have done something similar to IDW and called it "Cityfall" to distinguish it and leave expectations aside.
Probably right.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #32
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
No sh*t. I'm not "griping" about 2k3 any more than I "gripe" about any of the other cartoons... they're not intended for you or I, they're intended for this guy:
It's funny because the only one who acting like a child when it comes to this discussion is you are.

Also, there is no shame in liking cartoons intended for kids, unless you one of the people who believe that everything should be "deep and serious" 24/7.

But fanboys, fanboys, what you gonna do, what you gonna...
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #33
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
It's funny because the only one who acting like a child when it comes to this discussion is you are.

Also, there is no shame in liking cartoons intended for kids, unless you one of the people who believe that everything should be "deep and serious" 24/7.

But fanboys, fanboys, what you gonna do, what you gonna...
That's not really his point, his point is that it's a fallacy to equate the show with the comics because the basic stories are used, since it's still full of major alterations. How did you miss that?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #34
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
OK.

I'm not sure what this means.

True. But there are so many people around here that are like, "Mirage... 2k3... SAME THING! LOLZ!"

Dumb. Wrong.

Well there's no accounting for taste, I suppose.

http://cdn.skim.gs/image/upload/v145...ler_yvhmqf.jpg

Probably right.
Andrew I was his age when the cartoon came out I was 11 or 12?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #35
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Cubed gets it!

What was it that you didn't like about the original version?
There wasn't enough narrative for me to support the action or the pacing of the story imo.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #36
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
That's not really his point, his point is that it's a fallacy to equate the show with the comics because the basic stories are used, since it's still full of major alterations. How did you miss that?
One thing is good in one way, another - in its own way. No necessity to be so salty about it.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #37
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

What I wish they adapted, or that some TMNT TV show would adapt is my favourite Mirage issue. Vol.1 issue 11. "True Stories".

Most TMNT shows do the "Exile to Northhampton" arc, but they gloss over the emotional impact. They don't really get into the trauma they went through and the emotional healing afterwards.

To me it's the emotional content (and not the violence) that makes Mirage TMNT more "mature" than other versions. Both the kinda depressing "Life at best is bitter sweet" side and the heartwarming "Life is good, and life goes on" side.

I think both the 4kids and Nick versions (both of which I enjoy) really missed a golden opportunity by not adapting "True Stories" and by not touching on the emotional drama side of TMNT more often (the cop-out ending to "Sons of the Silent Age" being another example).

Anyway, for what it's worth I like 4Kids "Return to NY" I think it has more variety than the Mirage version with the appearance of Foot Mystics and Cyborg Baxter (I loved that part), and other surprises and twists.

I'll agree that 4Kids "City at War" wasn't that great, though. It needed to be longer and it needed to be later in the series (and after Shredder's final defeat). Still wouldn't have the impact of Mirage CaW, but even within 4kids limitations it should have been a lot better.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #38
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
As much as I love 4Kids TMNT, "City at War" had as much to do with the original as "City Fall" in IDW... nothing.
Isn't the main-idea of "City at War" that Shredder has been defeated, and instead the various organized criminals of New York City fight each other for control of the criminal underworld? (and then, usually Karai shows up from Japan)

Such a story can be told in various ways, as each TMNT version is its own interpretation.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #39
DWC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post
What I wish they adapted, or that some TMNT TV show would adapt is my favourite Mirage issue. Vol.1 issue 11. "True Stories".

Most TMNT shows do the "Exile to Northhampton" arc, but they gloss over the emotional impact. They don't really get into the trauma they went through and the emotional healing afterwards.

To me it's the emotional content (and not the violence) that makes Mirage TMNT more "mature" than other versions. Both the kinda depressing "Life at best is bitter sweet" side and the heartwarming "Life is good, and life goes on" side.

I think both the 4kids and Nick versions (both of which I enjoy) really missed a golden opportunity by not adapting "True Stories" and by not touching on the emotional drama side of TMNT more often (the cop-out ending to "Sons of the Silent Age" being another example).

Anyway, for what it's worth I like 4Kids "Return to NY" I think it has more variety than the Mirage version with the appearance of Foot Mystics and Cyborg Baxter (I loved that part), and other surprises and twists.

I'll agree that 4Kids "City at War" wasn't that great, though. It needed to be longer and it needed to be later in the series (and after Shredder's final defeat). Still wouldn't have the impact of Mirage CaW, but even within 4kids limitations it should have been a lot better.
Great post.
DWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Isn't the main-idea of "City at War" that Shredder has been defeated, and instead the various organized criminals of New York City fight each other for control of the criminal underworld? (and then, usually Karai shows up from Japan)

Such a story can be told in various ways, as each TMNT version is its own interpretation.
No. City at War, among other things, dealt with the Foot divided and fighting among themselves for control. I don't remember other criminals getting too involved. Plus there was now a hit on Leo's head for killing Shredder.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercucked_is_cucking