Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #41
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I predict....

that we will start off with very different turtles... and then gradually they will develop and grow into the turtles we know and love.

over the show's seasons, the turtles will start off as rookie ninja, then slowly improve their skills, until they are as skilled with martial arts as other versions.

Over the course of the seasons, Leo will become more mature, and earn his place as leader.

Over the seasons, Mikey's artistic side will bloom, and he'll become almost as creative and expressive as his mirage counterpart.

Over the seasons, we'll be introduced to the foot clan little by little, until we finally meet shredder, and see the nature of the conflict be revealed slowly.

over the seasons., the turtles will earn their traditional weapons, and gradually become comfortable with them.

But we can't have that, the angry TMNT fans want a fully formed ninja team, right out of the gate, with no room for growth or character development ,and we need to rush back to those Shredder vs. TMNT fights as fast as possible. right? The turtles are most exciting when at status quo!

....ugh....
The series is not being sold on the idea of it being the story of the TMNT before they become the of TMNT. The word Ninja is still part of the title.

Even if it where the case this still relies on there being a lengthy run. Not an unrealistic expectation given that Nickelodeon has money to throw at it and the previous show went on for longer than it's ratings justified it to but with short run times for episodes do you really expect there to be a lot of character growth? I can see some things like Leo becoming leader but others I think are just going to be saved until the series end and hopefully not an abrupt one like the previous series got which seemed much better planned and yet still wrapped up without resolving some of it's important story lines.

Also there's something kinda odd about these turtles growing into a version of TMNT that we all know and are familiar with. If they have all this cool magic and advanced tech is it really going to make sense for them to swap all that for basic ninja skills and wood and metal weapons? After huge adventures fighting Baron Draxum it's going to seem more than a step down to beat him and swap him for street level adventures fighting Shredder and the Foot.

Even if this creatively an attempt to show how the TMNT will develop into the characters we know it's still at it's heart an attempt to do something different for the sake of it (and the belief it will be more toyetic than the standard TMNT) after a preceding version has faded from popularity like Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, Fast Forward etc. Heck the end result is still the same regardless. TMNT has such a poor track record of trying this I'm surprised people still attempt it

Last edited by Galactus; 05-14-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #42
sdp
-

They did mention more than once that this is "before" they became Ninjas and their adventures before "we know them" from other versions. They haven't emphasized it as much as the magical aspect but they've definitely mentioned it.

I mean I agree with your points about how it'll be similar to say Smallville or Gotham where established things in universe will happen before they're "official" and the magical aspect will also be odd but hey who knows how they'll handle it. I do think a "batman begins" of TMNT could be a cool idea but also mixing it with a "magical underground NY" leaves you like "what?"
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:46 AM   #43
Leolead
Stone Warrior

Sad that I can't get excited at all for this show, I'll wait for the next reboot in 5 years
Old 05-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #44
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolead View Post
Sad that I can't get excited at all for this show, I'll wait for the next reboot in 5 years
Yeah I have the same thing. Not hating either, just not for me.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #45
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
The series is not being sold on the idea of it being the story of the TMNT before they become the of TMNT. The word Ninja is still part of the title.

Even if it where the case this still relies on there being a lengthy run. Not an unrealistic expectation given that Nickelodeon has money to throw at it and the previous show went on for longer than it's ratings justified it to but with short run times for episodes do you really expect there to be a lot of character growth? I can see some things like Leo becoming leader but others I think are just going to be saved until the series end and hopefully not an abrupt one like the previous series got which seemed much better planned and yet still wrapped up without resolving some of it's important story lines.

Also there's something kinda odd about these turtles growing into a version of TMNT that we all know and are familiar with. If they have all this cool magic and advanced tech is it really going to make sense for them to swap all that for basic ninja skills and wood and metal weapons? After huge adventures fighting Baron Draxum it's going to seem more than a step down to beat him and swap him for street level adventures fighting Shredder and the Foot.

Even if this creatively an attempt to show how the TMNT will develop into the characters we know it's still at it's heart an attempt to do something different for the sake of it (and the belief it will be more toyetic than the standard TMNT) after a preceding version has faded from popularity like Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation, Fast Forward etc. Heck the end result is still the same regardless. TMNT has such a poor track record of trying this I'm surprised people still attempt it
Actually, yes it has been sold that way. One of the show's creators said in an interview 'they aren't full ninjas yet', and 'Leonardo is not quite leader material yet', every comment about this show, and even its' title (RISE of the TMNT), points to this being a turtle story set before this universe's classic battles with the foot clan. And this univere's version seems to have a more mystical version of the foot, so I have a feeling these turtles will be more 'fantasy wuxia' battles with anime -styled attacks when they get to that point; they will never be the realistic street-level fighters from previous versions.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #46
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

they will use those stupid magic tricks they used against me in 5th season of 2003 but i will defeatthem again like i always do! And no we,the Foot ninjas will not be magical or mystical. My ninjas will be again Japanese ninjas like in 2003 2012 IDW and mirrage series. Not some magic creatures from another dimension.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #47
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
they will use those stupid magic tricks they used against me in 5th season of 2003 but i will defeat them again like i always do! And no we,the Foot ninjas will not be magical or mystical. My ninjas will be again Japanese ninjas like in 2003 2012 IDW and mirage series. Not some magic creatures from another dimension.
Dude, you won't even be in the first season of the show, just two of your minions/foot mystics who make origami ninja. thoguh I must admit, the origami ninja thing is a nice touch for his new version.

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #48
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Actually, yes it has been sold that way. One of the show's creators said in an interview 'they aren't full ninjas yet', and 'Leonardo is not quite leader material yet', every comment about this show, and even its' title (RISE of the TMNT), points to this being a turtle story set before this universe's classic battles with the foot clan. And this univere's version seems to have a more mystical version of the foot, so I have a feeling these turtles will be more 'fantasy wuxia' battles with anime -styled attacks when they get to that point; they will never be the realistic street-level fighters from previous versions.
The turtles not being ninjas yet doesn't sound all that different to previous versions where Splinter tells his sons their training is not complete, they have much to learn, not yet ready to face the Foot etc. You could say the same about Leo growing into his leadership role which was a subplot of the previous cartoon.

I'll take yours and sdp's word that that this is being marketed more as a TMNT - In Training series but it seems odd that 'fantasy wuxia' battles are what Nick has gone with as the basis for for what is being marketed as something to a TMNT prequel series. If the turtles stick with this (as you speculate) even after they get traditional weapons it kinda negates the point of them becoming ninjas and this being a prequel series. They will never be the turtles fans expect them to be.

Not that any of this is bad. Why not do something completely original and out there? This wont be forever and inevitably another TMNT series will follow it. It's just that most of the time TMNT tries this like The Next Mutation, Fast Foward it never seems to work as well as good ol' TMNT. Not that fans hate change (both the above examples have their fans and defenders) but there's something about the core TMNT concept that had a broad appeal and the farther you go from it the less people are going to be interested.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #49
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I have a theory that's based on this GIF.

Spoiler:

I think they're either following/spying on Baron Draxum or the Foot Clan. Maybe, they're gathering intel that concerns his/their location/ place of origin. (Then again, said location is simply called "Paper".)

Last edited by Papenbrook; 05-17-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:25 AM   #50
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I have a theory that's based on this GIF.

Spoiler:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/545fac78...hjio3_1280.gif

I think they're either following/spying on Baron Draxum or the Foot Clan. Maybe, they're gathering intel that concerns his/their location/ place of origin. (Then again, said location is simply called "Paper".)
I could've never figured that one out on my own

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #51
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
Not some magic creatures from another dimension.
I've never heard the paper ninjas will be from some other dimension.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 AM   #52
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

So, I found these pictures.

Spoiler:

These seem to suggest that the Turtles' will face different types of Origami Ninjas.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:03 AM   #53
Powder
So tired of this place

He's not origami though. Looks like a human brute with some sorta mystic fire atop his head.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:27 AM   #54
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
He's not origami though. Looks like a human brute with some sorta mystic fire atop his head.
I think he's a human-mutant hybrid. I don't know ...

I hope we get an episode dealing with puberty.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #55
Overlord

Anyone else think this may be the last TMNT series originally airing over traditional TV?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #56
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Anyone else think this may be the last TMNT series originally airing over traditional TV?
Eh. Probably.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #57
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
So, I found these pictures.

Spoiler:
https://78.media.tumblr.com/2511ea45...zvxo3_1280.png

These seem to suggest that the Turtles' will face different types of Origami Ninjas.
I thought this guy was a foot ninja....cause of his foot fire tattoo?...(the little fires look like toes)
Old 05-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #58
Overlord

Quote:
Eh. Probably.
I believe so. Younger children are among the final groups to still watch traditional television (together with older people).
Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #59
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

What kinds of one-liners will Leonardo be saying?

I've always thought that they'll somehow relate to superheroes, but I don't know if I'll be right on that.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #60
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think the two ninja with flames on their heads are the only two flesh-and-blood foot ninja we will see, and the smaller one creates the origami ninja to fight as grunts, that the turtles chop up and destroy with ease.