Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Ioz
Foot Soldier

Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes to produce new Turtles movie

from deadline.com:
Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon have brought Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form on to produce Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the live-action film that reboots the film series launched by New Line in 1990. Bay, Fuller and Form will produce with Galen Walker and Scott Mednick.

The producers will begin meetings with writers in the next few weeks. The deal puts Bay in the center of two Paramount franchises, as he started production May 17 on Transformers 3, and is zeroing in on Rosie Huntington-Whitely to replace Megan Fox as love interest for Shia LaBeouf. TNMT, a co-production between Paramount and Nickelodeon, is an outgrowth of the $60 million acquisition made by Nick last October for global rights to the entire Turtles franchise. Right around the same time, Paramount made a first look deal with the Platinum Dunes partners, who will generate genre projects but also want to expand their scope. While they've already set up several projects including a Rob Cohen-remake of Fright Night, the Turtles film puts them into new territory.
Ioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

If this is true, then that's awesome.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Samhain
Dare To Be Stupid!

While I am glad this movie is still happening and things seem to be moving forward, I would have liked someone other than Bay for this movie.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

YES! NEWS! I am so excited I screamed (in a VERY masculine way mind you!).

I won't complain about Bay, he could be very good for it.

Lord knows it could be worse!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Producer, yes? But not director. Am I reading that right?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

So long as he keeps the racists characters in check, I'm good with this.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
jaymq
Hench Mutant

Talking

"Where's Raph?"
"Right here with Michael Bay."
"Michael Bay kicks ass!"
"You are a moron and no longer my brother."

...Someone had to.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Roseangelo
Emperor

This definitely works for me.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
So long as he keeps the racists characters in check, I'm good with this.
Cue April bending over a motorcycle...
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Leonardo19
Foot Soldier

hmmmmmmm. well the movie will probably get a bigger budget then i thought.

GOONGALA!
Leonardo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
Luzmagica
A Magic Light Dudette!

Well ...I like hear news about the movie ....News said that Bay is going to be producer, not a word about direction (at least it promises a good production)....Just worried about its going to be the first film in "other territory" for a Company without enough experience...Comments , please...???
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
TMNTFan7
Mouser

This is by far the worst movie news I have heard all year. (Well not quite as bad as the news Spider-Man is being rebooted but still pretty bad) When I first learned about this my jaw dropped in massive disgust and anger. Michael Bay is one of the worst people to ever come into hollywood. The new Nightmare on Elm Street remake was one of the worst things I ever seen although I did not watch it. I know I didn't need to watch it to know how bad it was. Friday remake was average it is hard to ruin a Friday the 13th. But I know they killed Freddy. Transformers 1 and 2 were on of the worst summer blockbuster movies I ever seen. Garbage from beginning to end they were barley even a movie. Michael Bay himself said Transformers is "A stupid kids toy movie". So what does that say about how he feels about Ninja Turtles. Bottom line I know he has no respect for the material and he is simply out for the money. Dunes will hire some grade 2 writers with a director that doesn't belong doing a TMNT film much like Bayer had no business making a Nightmare movie. He and his studio have never produced any good movies. Just garbage made to grab money from desperate fans. I will not fall into this plow. I will sit back and watch a movie I was so excited for fall to it's doom. I feel bad for anybody who supports this. I feel you are in denial. Bay you suck get away from hollywood and more importantly get away from one of my favorite franchises of all time.
TMNTFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

None of us are in denial. Were all (mostly) of sound mind & are just happy to see anything let alone something to have a huge budget & likely a great deal of success. IF you were truly such a fan you would understand that this is what will bring the turtles back to the masses in a major way & they need that now more then ever. This film will sell hundreds of millions of dollars garunteed & the property itself only just sold for 60 million. Catch my drift? This is the chemo, even if the die-hards aren't thrilled with it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
TMNTFan7
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
None of us are in denial. Were all (mostly) of sound mind & are just happy to see anything let alone something to have a huge budget & likely a great deal of success. IF you were truly such a fan you would understand that this is what will bring the turtles back to the masses in a major way & they need that now more then ever. This film will sell hundreds of millions of dollars garunteed & the property itself only just sold for 60 million. Catch my drift? This is the chemo, even if the die-hards aren't thrilled with it.
I would prefer a Turtles movie never be made again than have Michael Bay produce it and have it make millions. Transformers made millions and that stuff it a travesty of motion picture. How somebody is happy that a movie will make millions and keep in mind none of that money is going into your pocket and their just happy it makes money as it becomes one of the biggest travesty's next to Bayformers as for as quality goes is beyond me. I think any TRUE fan would respect quality over quantity
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFan7 View Post
kneejerk, kneejerk, kneejerk, only TRUE TMNT FANS, kneejerk, kneejerk, kneejerk
Wow. You're nuts.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
TMNTFan7
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wow. You're nuts.
Come again?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #17
Digital Ghost
Mad Scientist

TMNTFan7,
Opinions are like assholes and we all have 'em. I for one enjoyed the Transformers film and have been a fan of the franchise since my youth. The argument of Michael Bay seemingly destroying the TF franchise in having not used the G1 designs is so played out, words cannot describe. Things change. I for one could argue that the CGI TMNT designs were awful but even they grew on me.

Point being, attempting to use a film that's generated hundreds of millions in merchandising alone, as a reason to justify why Bay should have no involvement whatsoever is beyond ridiculous and completely laughable.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
TMNTFan7
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-O-N-A-T-E-L-L-O View Post
TMNTFan7,
Opinions are like assholes and we all have 'em. I for one enjoyed the Transformers film and have been a fan of the franchise since my youth. The argument of Michael Bay seemingly destroying the TF franchise in having not used the G1 designs is so played out, words cannot describe. Things change. I for one could argue that the CGI TMNT designs were awful but even they grew on me.

Point being, attempting to use a film that's generated hundreds of millions in merchandising alone, as a reason to justify why Bay should have no involvement whatsoever is beyond ridiculous and completely laughable.
Money will always be more important than quality to Hollywood. I never said it wasn't. But as a fan I do not know how you can expect this thing to be good judging by who's producing and making it based on their track record already. They could have a great director and writer to do this thing and make it great. But I HIGHLY doubt it. As a fan I get frustrated when I know my favorite franchise is in the hands of somebody who doesn't give a damn about it and only wants to milk it for money.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #19
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFan7 View Post
I would prefer a Turtles movie never be made again than have Michael Bay produce it and have it make millions. Transformers made millions and that stuff it a travesty of motion picture. How somebody is happy that a movie will make millions and keep in mind none of that money is going into your pocket and their just happy it makes money as it becomes one of the biggest travesty's next to Bayformers as for as quality goes is beyond me. I think any TRUE fan would respect quality over quantity
Going back a couple pages to this one.

None of us are saying the movie won't be terrible. In fact, I'm fully ready for it to be every bit the steaming pile of tripe the Transformers films were (which I say as both a fan of the franchise and decent movies in general).

However, the potential for other marketing here is huge. If this is even a remotely blockbuster event, and Bay's name bodes well for it, you can expect comic spin-offs, a new awareness of non-kiddy TMNT, other media, etc.

The actual movie will be the worst part of this deal. The HUGE silver lining is the level of attention and ancillary media this will create. Endure a sh*tty movie, reap other benefits. That's why everyone considers this a positive development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo
I am so amused that people thought this was actually going to be a good movie until they head Michael Bay was involved and now it's the end of the world. Really, what about any of the other names attached to the project gave you such high hopes that Michael Bay destroys all of them?
I think it's the simple difference between "This might not be sh*tty" to "This will be sh*tty." Which is still kind of ridiculous.

And, as everyone's been saying, the non-movie plus sides of this should outweigh the terribleness of the movie itself.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #20
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I reserve judgement until the trailer.

Tags
live action films