The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Addams Family Animated Movie

The co-director of Sausage Party, Conrad Vernon, will be helming an animated adaptation of The Addams Family. The script has been written by Pamela Pettler (Corpse Bride, Monster House), with revisions by Matt Lieberman

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...family-1048373
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The co-director of Sausage Party, Conrad Vernon, will be helming an animated adaptation of The Addams Family. The script has been written by Pamela Pettler (Corpse Bride, Monster House), with revisions by Matt Lieberman

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...family-1048373
But why though?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

No, I wasn't expecting the Adams Family, Donatello.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
No, I wasn't expecting the Adams Family, Donatello.

Nani?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I like it. I was wondering when another version of the Addams Family would surface. I’m glad it’s something like this and not a Mockingbird Lane or Riverdale type project.. or 21 Jump St.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post

In case you didn't get the reference.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Funnily enough I just rewatched the two 90s movies last weekend and was surprised by how awesome they were. I had a blast watching them and are a bit forgotten counting how well they hold up.

I understand they never made a third movie because of Raul Julia passing and instead went the cheap direct to video route, I'm guessing it was for the best since the casting had been so perfect. But I had wondered why they hadn't tried reviving the franchise again since so many years had passed since anything related was out so I'm glad to hear these news.

It being CG might be for the best since it'll give it its own look and decaffeinate it from the other two films which would be hard to top, especially with today's Hollywood. I just hope it's not too goofy like Hotel Transylvania which is what I'm guessing their aiming for. I think a right balance can be had without it just ripping off a generic CG Halloween kids film from the last decade. If it used the Charles Addams original comics as an artstyle it would be awesome.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Personally, I miss the old cartoon.

I'm nabbing the DVD's should I come across them. The same also applies for the first two movies - I haven't seen the third movie at all.

I might be willing to give the new movie a watch though.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 AM   #9
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

The Addams Family is kind of remarkable in that the old black and white show still holds up as being pretty damn funny. I fondly remember the cartoon, but haven't seen it in years. They even popped into a Scooby Doo show once. They got around.

I'll be happy to have them back if the material is good, but the director of Sausage Party, huh? Does that mean the CG animation route? I hope not. I've never liked it. I know it's a lot better these days, but I don't know. Even the good stuff, I don't particularly like looking at. I mostly avoided the recent Nick TMNT cartoon for that reason, which probably sounds downright silly, but what can I say?

More important than that is if they'll get the spirit of the humor and translate it well, but the Addams are a simple enough concept to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Funnily enough I just rewatched the two 90s movies last weekend and was surprised by how awesome they were. I had a blast watching them and are a bit forgotten counting how well they hold up.

I understand they never made a third movie because of Raul Julia passing and instead went the cheap direct to video route, I'm guessing it was for the best since the casting had been so perfect. But I had wondered why they hadn't tried reviving the franchise again since so many years had passed since anything related was out so I'm glad to hear these news.
You know, for a good five seconds, I almost thought you were talking about the Ninja Turtles films given the clip in the post just above you and were making a "the third Turtles movie doesn't exist" joke until I realized you mentioned Raul Julia and remembered what thread I was in.

I laughed anyway.

So they actually do hold up? I haven't watched either in years. Raul Julia ruled as Gomez, but I remember the first film being a little weird and confusing with the whole "is it the real Uncle Fester" thing. I actually don't remember Values at all. Maybe I should track them down. I think I saw them on one of the streaming services recently.

Quote:
But why though?
Hoping for a second successful revival attempt, I assume. Hey, it worked in the 90's. And the Addams brand of harmless, gleeful macabre humor ages well.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Oh yes do check them out, I don't know if they're on American Netflix but they're in other regions'. The sequel is just as original as the first and I will never accept any other actors as the definitive versions of those.

I remember liking the 90s cartoon but haven't watched it since I was a kid so who knows how well it holds up, as a kid I disliked the old cartoon though. Never watched the original show but if it indeed holds up as mentioned I guess I"ll check it out one day. The direct to video film has nothing to do with the two theatrical movies so I don't know if it should be called the third movie, never watched it but I did watch as a kid the new live action show that spun-off from that movie and while not as good as the movies I used to watch it.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Looks like the producers lurk the technodrome and listened to me, the art style is based on the original comic designs! I'm hyped.

Directed by Conrad Vernon (Shrek 2, Monsters vs. Aliens, Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted) and Greg Tiernan (Thomas & Friends, Day of the Diesels).

Voice cast:

Oscar Isaac as Gomez Addams
Charlize Theron as Morticia Addams
Chloë Grace Moretz as Wednesday Addams
Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley Addams
Nick Kroll as Uncle Fester
Bette Midler as Grandmama

and

Allison Janney (I, Tonya) as the family’s arch nemesis Margaux Needler

Based on the famous New Yorker creations of Charles Addams, this animated action-comedy will follow the Addams family whose lives begin to unravel when they face-off against a crafty reality-TV host while also preparing for their extended family to arrive for a major celebration, Addams-style.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
newfan
Mad Scientist

That does look bad, l'd likely watch it.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I for one hope that they'll steer away from the Christina Richie depiction of Wednesday...since I kind of liked how she was in the original sitcom.

She was just a regular little girl, just with a few macabe tastes.
And y'know...this.

Look at all those wiggles.

Anyway, the Addams facing of against a reality TV producer has the makings of being pretty funny. They'll eventually find a way to fvck with him with their pepper-infused tea and cyanide seasonings.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:34 AM   #14
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Looks like the designs are based on the original comics but darker.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Looks like the producers lurk the technodrome and listened to me, the art style is based on the original comic designs! I'm hyped.

https://i.imgur.com/xbDD8zj.jpg

Directed by Conrad Vernon (Shrek 2, Monsters vs. Aliens, Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted) and Greg Tiernan (Thomas & Friends, Day of the Diesels).

Voice cast:

Oscar Isaac as Gomez Addams
Charlize Theron as Morticia Addams
Chloë Grace Moretz as Wednesday Addams
Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley Addams
Nick Kroll as Uncle Fester
Bette Midler as Grandmama

and

Allison Janney (I, Tonya) as the family’s arch nemesis Margaux Needler

Based on the famous New Yorker creations of Charles Addams, this animated action-comedy will follow the Addams family whose lives begin to unravel when they face-off against a crafty reality-TV host while also preparing for their extended family to arrive for a major celebration, Addams-style.
I wonder who is voicing Lurch?
Old 06-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm not interested at all. The art looks terrible. Rather just rewatch the two live-action movies...
Old 06-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #17
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I've got to admit, I'm a little disappointed we won't get to see Isaac in costume.
But that's been a disappointment I've been shouldering since I found out it was going to be an animated movie.

I am VERY curious to see how the animation flows.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #18
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'm not interested at all. The art looks terrible. Rather just rewatch the two live-action movies...
Really? It's different than all the CG kids movies out these days that have the same look, it could've easily looked like this:

Spoiler:

We dodged a bullet, it draws inspiration from the original Charles Addams comic but makes them a bit darker. It's fine if you don't like it but I don't know, I think we got the best possible take a CG Addams Family could've had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I've got to admit, I'm a little disappointed we won't get to see Isaac in costume.
I know, the whole cast is perfect to play the part in a live action movie. I don't think a new live action Addams Family movie would be able to pull off the stuff the 90s ones did though.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
I know, the whole cast is perfect to play the part in a live action movie. I don't think a new live action Addams Family movie would be able to pull off the stuff the 90s ones did though.
Oh I totally agree.
And then there's the idea of just like...overwriting Raul Julia's performance.
Which...he was just perfect.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #20
The Deadman
Foot Elite

For those hating on this, it could be worse...it could be Addams Family Reunion.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote