The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Allio
Foot Elite

Skull Island: A King Kong Prelude

Straight from SDCC:

Source

Man, Legendary is grabbing ALL of the giant monster franchises. And is, from the sound of things, a King Kong prequel? Interesting.

Although I still can't help but wonder if all of this is a prelude to something. Something bigger...almost GODlike. Especially considering that OTHER announcement with a certain giant monster they made today...
Old 07-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Peter Jackson's King Kong was brilliant, I doubt they'll top that one.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Straight from SDCC:

Source

Man, Legendary is grabbing ALL of the giant monster franchises. And is, from the sound of things, a King Kong prequel? Interesting.

Although I still can't help but wonder if all of this is a prelude to something. Something bigger...almost GODlike. Especially considering that OTHER announcement with a certain giant monster they made today...
I know what you're thinkin', and I think they're thinkin' the same way. That could be epic.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
Turo602
The King of Kings

Yeah, it seems like the logical thing to do considering everyone is going big these days. We got Avengers, now Batman vs Superman is actually a thing, X-Men is getting their sh*t together, Spider-Man's going Sinister Six, and Star Wars is about to get much bigger. So why not Godzilla vs King Kong? I've never really been a King Kong fan, but the news excites me only because I can see this happening.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

hmm

No jack black? Pass for me. Jk. Sounds good. Godzilla vs King Kong in present day could be amazing. But it'll probably be underwhelming like Freddy vs Jason. Another movie with so much potential that you can't help but be disappointed cause there can always be something done better.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Wow, awesome the remake was awesome with the exception that it was a little too long, I was sad they didn't make a sequel since the previous two reboots had one. A prequel idea works well since Skull Island is a very interesting place and in this movie we can see Kong as the hero probably and if successful they can easily make more sequels that are still prequels to the film.

I definitely don't see another KK vs Godzilla movie, especially since this Godzilla towers over past Godzillas which already towered over King Kong. Having a bigger "Kong" defeats the purpose since it's not really KK...if they attempt a crossover I think Pacific Rim is more likely, I'm pretty sure the B.O. of Godzilla is the only reason we're even getting a sequel and cartoon, they want to cash-in on the giant monster craze that Godzilla started without having to pay royalties to TOEI.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
Godzilla
Foot Soldier

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Mmmhmm ... Well, setting up a Kong reboot prior to a Godzilla sequel featuring Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah, what better way to follow-up that than with KING KONG VS. GODZILLA?

That's a license to print money for Universal/Legenday, and they seem pretty aware of it too.
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, but... Godzilla's a million feet tall now. Kong's "just" a giant gorilla. That's no fight.

I'm sure they'll figure something out. It might be contrived, but I'm sure they'll figure something out.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Godzilla
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, but... Godzilla's a million feet tall now. Kong's "just" a giant gorilla. That's no fight.

I'm sure they'll figure something out. It might be contrived, but I'm sure they'll figure something out.
They'll just have to go back to the original 1933 King Kong. Where Kong was a mythic ape-like missing link, and not "just" a giant gorilla. Which, I think, diminished Kong to some extent in the Peter Jackson film. With the original film, Kong was something more than that.

Considering that, you can certainly play around with dimensions and such. Kong will likely be playing the role of the underdog in a battle with Godzilla, but that was the case in the original version, and fully expected in a possible King Kong vs. Godzilla part deaux as well.
Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Aw, but I like Godzilla better. Everyone roots for the underdog. I kinda don't care about Kong as much. I'd rather see Godzilla just nuke his ass with the atomic breath... after a scrap worthy of the ticket price, of course.

I'm sure they'll work it out. I just know who I'll be rooting for, underdog Kong or no. Screw it, let the "bad guy" win for a change.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Some new details have emerge about Kong: Skull Island.

Apparently the movie is set in the same universe as Godzilla, The script makes references to Monarch, the secret government entity in Godzilla, which is why the production was moved from Universal back to Warner Bros.

This will lead into a potential King Kong vs Godzilla movie after Godzilla 2 comes out.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...iversal-823715
Old 09-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm a bit disappointed they want to make Skull Island a reboot instead of a prequel to the last KK movie. King Kong can only do so many things, it's not a "cinematic" universe. Seeing Godzilla vs King Kong again would be awesome, I'd love to see it again. No GvKK should not be something that is in continuity, that will ruin both franchises, ugh. The new American Godzilla film was alright but nothing amazing either, and this sets it up to people not taking it into account.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

King Kong will be 100 feet tall in Kong: Skull Island.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi...s-size-a142794
Old 06-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
King Kong will be 100 feet tall in Kong: Skull Island.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi...s-size-a142794
Huh. But Godzilla (2014) was 350 feet.

Maybe the Kong in this dies and his baby gets bigger? Or something happens later to make him even bigger?

Or maybe, hey, Kong is just 100 feet and Godzilla is 350 and there's a bit of a disadvantage. Though Kong is probably way faster than Godzilla.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #15
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

100 feet? So that can't be the same ape as the one in King Kong if Skull Island is a prequel; he was only 50 feet max. Maybe there are two Kongs in an oversized trenchcoat or something.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
100 feet? So that can't be the same ape as the one in King Kong if Skull Island is a prequel; he was only 50 feet max. Maybe there are two Kongs in an oversized trenchcoat or something.
Its more a reboot then a prequel, they are doing Kong: Skull Island, Godzilla 2, and then King Kong vs Godzilla.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #17
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Fair enough. They'll have to think hard about Kong's design and anoatomy if he's 100 feet tall. Scaling up a gorilla is going to look stupid.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, sounds like the equivalent to Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It's a prequel... but it's a reboot prequel to a rebooted series to be.

Although... isn't Skull Island a period piece, like in the 50s or something? I thought I'd read that. If so, maybe he "fought" Godzilla when Godzilla was a little younger. So maybe when Brian Cranston died in Godzilla 2014, Godzilla had already fought King Kong (in the movie to come) like decades ago.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:48 AM   #19
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

That would make sense - I think in the opening credits they were trying to kill Godzilla with nukes in the 50s and 60s.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the Kong: Skull Island Comic Con Trailer