The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #21
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
I had a few of those toys even Toxie and No-Zone, i had a t-shirt, watched the cartoon on sunday mornings and comics.

I also remembered renting the movie on video of The Toxic Avenger when i was 9 years old to see where it all began, and OMG it was a shocking as hell movie. I mean it had scenes of extreme brutality/violence/gore, drug use, some sex and that disgusting scene that made me sick when i was a kid was when it had a 12 year old boy getting hit by a car then suddenly, the kid is still moving then the car backs up then crushes his skull in detail until his skull explodes brains and stuff, OMG that scene made me sick but was an awesome movie despite that horrific scene. I was like "how did they made a cartoon out of such a movie?".
The Toxic Crusaders cartoon and character toy line was very much a product of its time (the early 1990s). You cannot take that away from it. The 1991 Tiger Electronics Captain Planet and the Planteers toy line was THE eco-friendly toy line for a child of that era to collect from the fall of 1991 to mid 1993 nonetheless. Of course, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and even the 1991 Kenner Toys Robin Hood and the Prince of Thieves movie line ousted both the 1991 Playmates Toys Toxic Crusaders line and 1991 Tiger Electronics Captain Planet and the Planteers toy line. Still, the Marvel Comics Toxic Crusaders comic book cover with the spoofs of Captain Planet and the Planeteers title characters (issue 6) was perfect for when it was released. I advise you search for it on Google. It’s hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
there was some reuse of vehicles
I believe Toxie's Turf Surfer and the Hideous Hovercraft were the retools.

The Dick Tracy movie line was the only successful non-TMNT toy line from Playmates in the 1990s. The 1990 Dick Tracy movie line was a hit with children of the early 1990s for many reasons. Young TMNT fans could use the gangsters of the 1990 Playmates movie toy line to act out their favorite scenes from “The Maltese Hamster”. Also, the 1990 Playmates Dick Tracy line was very much a part of that time era (the early 1990s), especially the Dick Tracy and Al “Big Boy” Caprice figures. The Steve the Tramp figure being removed from shelves and The Blank figure being carried at Sears in Canada made the 1990 Playmates movie line almost unforgettable to toy scalpers and adult collectors of that time.

As for the 1991 Playmates Toys Toxic Crusaders line, Toxie is the only figure from the set that action figure collectors usually have in their massive personal 80s and 90s toys collections. The rest of the character toys and vehicles from the Toxic Crusaders line are better left at that Ross store in your local area.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #22
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Toxic Crusaders cartoon and character toy line was very much a product of its time (the early 1990s). You cannot take that away from it. The 1991 Tiger Electronics Captain Planet and the Planteers toy line was THE eco-friendly toy line for a child of that era to collect from the fall of 1991 to mid 1993 nonetheless. Of course, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and even the 1991 Kenner Toys Robin Hood and the Prince of Thieves movie line ousted both the 1991 Playmates Toys Toxic Crusaders line and 1991 Tiger Electronics Captain Planet and the Planteers toy line. Still, the Marvel Comics Toxic Crusaders comic book cover with the spoofs of Captain Planet and the Planeteers title characters (issue 6) was perfect for when it was released. I advise you search for it on Google. It’s hilarious.

I believe Toxie's Turf Surfer and the Hideous Hovercraft were the retools.

The Dick Tracy movie line was the only successful non-TMNT toy line from Playmates in the 1990s. The 1990 Dick Tracy movie line was a hit with children of the early 1990s for many reasons. Young TMNT fans could use the gangsters of the 1990 Playmates movie toy line to act out their favorite scenes from “The Maltese Hamster”. Also, the 1990 Playmates Dick Tracy line was very much a part of that time era (the early 1990s), especially the Dick Tracy and Al “Big Boy” Caprice figures. The Steve the Tramp figure being removed from shelves and The Blank figure being carried at Sears in Canada made the 1990 Playmates movie line almost unforgettable to toy scalpers and adult collectors of that time.

As for the 1991 Playmates Toys Toxic Crusaders line, Toxie is the only figure from the set that action figure collectors usually have in their massive personal 80s and 90s toys collections. The rest of the character toys and vehicles from the Toxic Crusaders line are better left at that Ross store in your local area.
How do you feel when other R-rated properties like Rambo, Aliens, Terminator 2, Robocop, Predator etc. had merchandise for kids back then even Rambo and Robocop with kids cartoons?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #23
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
How do you feel when other R-rated properties like Rambo, Aliens, Terminator 2, Robocop, Predator etc. had merchandise for kids back then even Rambo and Robocop with kids cartoons?
To quote Wikipedia, “Rambo has become the quintessential representation of America during the Reagan years.” I could not agree any more. The release of Rambo The Force of Freedom (not the 1986 Coleco action figure line that went with it) echoed the direction of the Reagan years then nicely. The 1986 Coleco Rambo and the Force of Freedom was “the Entertech Battery Operated Water Guns” to the G.I. Joe A Real American Hero that was “the Lazer Tag” of that time. To this day, most adult collectors who were children in the 1980s talk more about G.I. Joe the Movie than anything animated Rambo related. The 1988 Robocop cartoon gave us the 1989 Kenner Toys Robocop and the Ultra Police line, but that was a two figure line for me. Robocop (Ultra Police Leader) and the ED-209 "figure" were all Kenner needed to make.

The first wave of the 1991 Kenner Terminator 2 and 1992 Kenner Aliens movie lines were also products of the early 1990s. I was not as shocked to see them in department stores like I was the 1989 Matchbox Talking Freddy Kruger doll at Toys “R” Us that fall. Times were certainly changing within the early 1990s nonetheless when collector-centric product like the 1992 Kenner Aliens figures, 1992 Playmates Toys Star Trek the Next Generation figures, and the 1992 Hasbro G.I. Joe A Real American Heroes Hall of Fame Collection. The 1992 Kenner Aliens line was more of a precursor to the 1993 Kenner Jurassic Park action figures when you look at it all in hindsight. Unfortunately, the copycat 1994 Kenner Predator line failed to pack the punch that the first wave of Kenner Alien figures did in late 1992. Not even the Aliens vs. Predator two pack with the 16 page Dark Horse comic book could save what fandom collectors could have for all things Kenner Predator.

Personally, the only product I cared for by Kenner Toys in the mid 90s was the 1995 Star Wars Classic Edition 4 Pack wth Topps Widevision cards and those were a huge disappointment as was the 1994 Predator follow up to the vastly superior 1992 Aliens line. The 1994 Kenner Predator movie line was even a notch above the 1991 Playmates Toys Toxic Crusaders toy line. The 1986 Kenner The Real Ghostbusters was a better and more successful mainstream movie toy line than both of those properties and the cartoon for that one was based of a PG-movie.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #24
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
To quote Wikipedia, “Rambo has become the quintessential representation of America during the Reagan years.” I could not agree any more. The release of Rambo The Force of Freedom (not the 1986 Coleco action figure line that went with it) echoed the direction of the Reagan years then nicely. The 1986 Coleco Rambo and the Force of Freedom was “the Entertech Battery Operated Water Guns” to the G.I. Joe A Real American Hero that was “the Lazer Tag” of that time. To this day, most adult collectors who were children in the 1980s talk more about G.I. Joe the Movie than anything animated Rambo related. The 1988 Robocop cartoon gave us the 1989 Kenner Toys Robocop and the Ultra Police line, but that was a two figure line for me. Robocop (Ultra Police Leader) and the ED-209 "figure" were all Kenner needed to make.

The first wave of the 1991 Kenner Terminator 2 and 1992 Kenner Aliens movie lines were also products of the early 1990s. I was not as shocked to see them in department stores like I was the 1989 Matchbox Talking Freddy Kruger doll at Toys “R” Us that fall. Times were certainly changing within the early 1990s nonetheless when collector-centric product like the 1992 Kenner Aliens figures, 1992 Playmates Toys Star Trek the Next Generation figures, and the 1992 Hasbro G.I. Joe A Real American Heroes Hall of Fame Collection. The 1992 Kenner Aliens line was more of a precursor to the 1993 Kenner Jurassic Park action figures when you look at it all in hindsight. Unfortunately, the copycat 1994 Kenner Predator line failed to pack the punch that the first wave of Kenner Alien figures did in late 1992. Not even the Aliens vs. Predator two pack with the 16 page Dark Horse comic book could save what fandom collectors could have for all things Kenner Predator.

Personally, the only product I cared for by Kenner Toys in the mid 90s was the 1995 Star Wars Classic Edition 4 Pack wth Topps Widevision cards and those were a huge disappointment as was the 1994 Predator follow up to the vastly superior 1992 Aliens line. The 1994 Kenner Predator movie line was even a notch above the 1991 Playmates Toys Toxic Crusaders toy line. The 1986 Kenner The Real Ghostbusters was a better and more successful mainstream movie toy line than both of those properties and the cartoon for that one was based of a PG-movie.
At least Ghostbusters was an all ages films while Rambo and Robocop were adult films with kid appeal.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:01 AM   #25
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
At least Ghostbusters was an all ages films while Rambo and Robocop were adult films with kid appeal.
For parents of the 1980s, I guess it’s good the Rambo The Force of Freedom did not get a second season. Rambo 3 was the Caddyshack 2 of the whole series.

RoboCop had kid appeal, but the cartoon and first sequel (the second one never happened) ended it quickly. Even with Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice, I was surprised that those programs made it on to the air and into Happy Meal and Burger King Kids Club meals. Very different times from now.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:48 AM   #26
Dragnskull
Stone Warrior

I have a couple toxic crusader toys from my childhood and watched the cartoon when i was a kid, got toxie and radiation ranger at some point, i can still remember when my mom bought me the radiation ranger, i think it was in a toys r us but not sure

i used to deal in lots of TMNT stuff on ebay and got a fairly large assortment of toxic crusader figures mixed in my various purchases, so i have a decently sized collection now sitting in my garage because i never got around to getting rid of them

if anyone wants them let me know, maybe we can work out a deal if i can find them lol
Dragnskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #27
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
For parents of the 1980s, I guess it’s good the Rambo The Force of Freedom did not get a second season. Rambo 3 was the Caddyshack 2 of the whole series.

RoboCop had kid appeal, but the cartoon and first sequel (the second one never happened) ended it quickly. Even with Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice, I was surprised that those programs made it on to the air and into Happy Meal and Burger King Kids Club meals. Very different times from now.
Hell no, Rambo 3 i thought was awesome! Caddyshack 2 sucked badly but Rambo III is one of the most badass action films ever as me and some of my youtube friends Ramboraph4life and Ocpcommunications will defend it and one of my fave Stallone films as i love the franchise myself and grew up with the first 3 and the fourth film rocked. I mean i saw First Blood on TV when i was 4 even part 2 on HBO at that age and had a Rambo tricycle and an action figure from First Blood part 2 and i saw Rambo III in theaters when i was 6.

I saw Robocop in theaters when i was 5 years old with my old man and when i was 6 i had a Robocop action figure, played the arcade and NES game and watched the cartoon.

I also love Robocop 2 as me and Ramboraph4life and Ocpcommunications will continue to defend it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDNe2-m8Wo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghndmMNkOc
Two reviews from them defending the movie as much i will defend it! i enjoyed it since i was 8 seeing it in theaters and own the CE blu-ray, i feel it is an underrated and badass sequel and the last robocop thing worth a look. Robocop 3, the live-action TV show, Alpha Commander and Robocock aka Robocop 2014 were all ****** watered down stuff that hurt the character and they kept watering him down.

I remembered seeing Beetlejuice in theaters when i was turning 6 3 times and loved it! i remembered those Beetlejuice toys as a kid and had a t-shirt, watched/taped the animated show on ABC/FOX and had some BK stuff and coloring books.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #28
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Hell no, Rambo 3 i thought was awesome! Caddyshack 2 sucked badly but Rambo III is one of the most badass action films ever as me and some of my youtube friends Ramboraph4life and Ocpcommunications will defend it and one of my fave Stallone films as i love the franchise myself and grew up with the first 3 and the fourth film rocked. I mean i saw First Blood on TV when i was 4 even part 2 on HBO at that age and had a Rambo tricycle and an action figure from First Blood part 2 and i saw Rambo III in theaters when i was 6.

I saw Robocop in theaters when i was 5 years old with my old man and when i was 6 i had a Robocop action figure, played the arcade and NES game and watched the cartoon.

I also love Robocop 2 as me and Ramboraph4life and Ocpcommunications will continue to defend it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDNe2-m8Wo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghndmMNkOc
Two reviews from them defending the movie as much i will defend it! i enjoyed it since i was 8 seeing it in theaters and own the CE blu-ray, i feel it is an underrated and badass sequel and the last robocop thing worth a look. Robocop 3, the live-action TV show, Alpha Commander and Robocock aka Robocop 2014 were all ****** watered down stuff that hurt the character and they kept watering him down.

I remembered seeing Beetlejuice in theaters when i was turning 6 3 times and loved it! i remembered those Beetlejuice toys as a kid and had a t-shirt, watched/taped the animated show on ABC/FOX and had some BK stuff and coloring books.
It’s all in the eye of the beholder. Rambo 3 was the second most successful film in the movie series, but Roger Elbert gave it a “thumbs down” for general moviegoers who would expect more from it and Sylvester Stallone got a Razzie in 1989 for worst actor in Rambo 3. Crocodile Dundee 2 did better than Rambo 3 in the box office and pop culture fans who loved the first Crocodile Dundee act like the second one never happened.

As for RoboCop 2, I remember seeing the review for it in Siskel and Ebert’s “Worst of 1990” special, but the team behind Godfather 3 and The Adventures of Ford Fairlane took home almost every Razzie in 1991.

The Last Quarter 1989/1990 Kenner Beetlejuice toy line was at every Macy’s in every mall, but the 1990 Burger King Kids Club meal toys were better suited for Burton fans. It’s a real shame that Kenner did not release the first set, at least, for the 1989 Beetlejuice series. Unfortunately, for Kenner Toys to do that, the third set of Beetlejuice movie toys would have to have been one of the best selling action figure lines of 1991. The 1990 Kenner Beetlejuice Neighborhood Nasties sub-line was a real stinker in the 1990 to 1991 academic year. Every Kenner Beetlejuice pegwarmer was on clearance in the fall of 1991 (they were marked down to $.89 like a 1989 Toy Biz DC Superheroes Lex Luthor at Toys “R” Us), but the first wave was great for the time of its release.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I owned the entire line of Toxic Crusaders, including doubles of some characters like Toxie and other villains. This including the vehicles except the motorcycle and the line had plenty of vehicles. I'm guessing one day K-Mart, KB-Toys I juor some retailer must have clearanced the whole line because I never asked for them and it wasn't normal for me to just have gotten the whole line of toys in one shopping spree but I did love them since they worked perfectly with TMNT figures and they got tons more action than my average turtle variants I especially loved the vehicles.

I never got to watch the cartoon or movies as a kid but thanks to the toys, party decorations and other stuff like the game I was a fan. i finally saw the cartoon and even the Toxic Avenger movies as an adult and well they're something, can't say I love them but they're definitely neat on their own right.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #30
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

Yes! I randomly found a Toxic Crusaders figure in a thrift shop (Major Disaster) for a couple bucks and fell in love with him. He definitely had a fun colorful vintage turtle feel about him and then I was instantly on the hunt. I eventually purchased the full set of figures. I have come across Dick Tracy figures and other Playmates stuff, but Toxie figures are the only ones I instantly liked that matched the style of TMNT...for me at least. However now I am curious to look up Earthworm Jim figures. I liked the game, but I never looked into the action figures/merch before.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #31
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I remember having almost every Toxic Crusader toy on the market when I was a kid. And yeah, the best part about then was how easily they merged with the TMNT toyline. I remember staring at about 4 figures trying to figure out which franchise they were from.

"Let's see here... this guy has ooze around his feet, so that's gotta be TMNT.. oh wait, no, that's toxic waste... or is it ooze?... hmmm... This guy looks like he made his stuff from junkyard scraps, so that's probably Toxic Crusaders... unless this is stuff found in a sewer... "
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote