The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-05-2021, 11:15 AM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow, I remember catching Aeon Flux sometimes as a young teen back in the day...and rarely knowing what was even going on. lol

Is there much new content, or is most of the service just paying to watch reruns?

Saw an ad for it that showed a quick glance at the 2003 TMNT. They need to use them more. Remind people what a good show looked like.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #22
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just gotta be blunt... I don't think Nick has made one single good decision since they bought the franchise.

They've made some money, sure, but one figures they could make a lot more than they have, if only they tried a little harder. Like yeah, they already made their money back, but every effort they've put forth was pretty halfhearted, except maybe the NickToon.

I always get the feeling like Nick went into the whole TMNT endeavor with very low expectations, and so long as those expectations are met they have no urgency to actually try and grow the brand or improve the situation.
Either that or if anything, they had high expectations thinking "TMNT is a brand as big, if not bigger than Batman and Spiderman so anything we do with this brand will make $$$."

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, for the most part.

The 2012 show did well and that's great. They let the Batman vs. TMNT thing happen and for the most part it turned out pretty awesome. Probably because they must have just let DC do their thing and kept their own hand out of it, but still, they were brave enough to allow it. (And more shocking, have aired it on Nick, albeit a little edited.) They've also allowed Last Ronin to happen and sounds like it is also doing well. There's some small ray of light there, but so far they aren't taking it and running with it. That we know of.

But for some reason they keep on failing to acknowledge that an older audience would be a viable target for a series. Maybe they have behind closed doors after the bombing of Rise and not capturing their target audience for it, I dunno. But it has bugged me that they haven't bothered despite their overall company owning more channels than just Nick. If they ONLY had Nick and were simply clueless and unable to go elsewhere, fine... but they have plenty of other channels with content for older audiences. I don't think it would be that hard to just hand it off to someone else under the company umbrella that might know how to do something that isn't just for little children.
Though I'm torn because I'd like to think any company could do better but I also fear any company could do worse.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nah, the TMNT franchise was in dire straights by 2007-2009. The 4th movie didn't exactly light the box office on fire, and of course the 2k3 series was wrapping up its run with the final seasons. Then Volume 4/Tales more or less ended by 2010 (besides the few issues PL got out after).

TMNT would have been dead the entire 2010 decade if it wasn't for the 2012 cartoon and IDW getting the comics license.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #24
sdp
-

Viacom doesn't mind having evergreen IP die, that's why it was always a concern to me. They now want to be late in the game in reviving franchises for fans. I think they'll still take a break after the movie and cartoon failure they just had and focus on what's hot like Avatar. But we'll see I do think Viacom was a mistake but can't see any other company that would've treated the franchise better really, no matter who bought them it was going to be 1987 Turtles all the way.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Either that or if anything, they had high expectations thinking "TMNT is a brand as big, if not bigger than Batman and Spiderman so anything we do with this brand will make $$$."
What idiot honestly thinks that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nah, the TMNT franchise was in dire straights by 2007-2009. The 4th movie didn't exactly light the box office on fire, and of course the 2k3 series was wrapping up its run with the final seasons. Then Volume 4/Tales more or less ended by 2010 (besides the few issues PL got out after).

TMNT would have been dead the entire 2010 decade if it wasn't for the 2012 cartoon and IDW getting the comics license.
No Things > Lots Of Things, All Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I do think Viacom was a mistake but can't see any other company that would've treated the franchise better really, no matter who bought them it was going to be 1987 Turtles all the way.
For as much as I bang on them for some of their business decisions, WB/DC would absolutely not have been that. They would have put out several different projects aimed at different audiences the way they did with He-Man for 10 years. Their main series was a very grown-up and violent PG-13/R-rated series that was like a more serious Lord of the Rings, whereas their Thundercats and Injustice cross-overs were more suitable for all ages in their presentation.

I don't love a lot of the decisions WB makes. But they're the only major company that understands that popular licensed properties don't have to be 100% Kiddie Town, and their general output reflects that. There's zero chance that they would have spent all of their time regurgitating FW.

I guess they simply didn't care enough at the time to pay an exorbitant amount of money to buy what was at the time a "dead" brand. Shame. Unless Viacom gets bored and sells it to them, there's no chance to fix that particular mistake.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 03-05-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Though I'm torn because I'd like to think any company could do better but I also fear any company could do worse.
Yeah, if someone else was to buy them, I'm not even sure who would actually be reasonable. With Nick I guess there at least isn't really a sea of similar properties for them to get lost among, the way they might if one of the big comic companies had them, but Nick really needs to hire people who know what to do with them.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Yeah, if someone else was to buy them, I'm not even sure who would actually be reasonable.
I literally just explained it.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

And I'm literally skeptical of that.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #29
Leo656
The Franchise

That's because you didn't see how masterfully they handled the He-Man license.

Seriously though, if the question is "Can any big-name corporation balance the TMNT brand on multiple fronts, while appealing to both the kids and the older audience?" then the answer is, "WB has been doing that with several properties for a very long time already." They're more or less the ONLY company at present that even makes an attempt to do so, if we're looking at it objectively. Who else even tries?

Old 03-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #30
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
As far as I’m aware the cast were all non-union, so they’d have to replace the entire cast as well as creating new stories etc, probably without the old creative crew (and certainly without Peter Laird), so I doubt it’ll happen
All the VAs continued to work after this,so IDK if that's still a big deal.
Why couldn't they get the original writers back? Im pretty sure all of them still work in the field. (I know this is just theoretical and will probably never happen)
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #31
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

True, and if the union thing is an issue...even if they weren't union back then, they very well could be by now.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #32
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

I mean,freaking Goku voiced a dozen or so episodic characters.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:51 AM   #33
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I found a 30 day trial code and made an account just to look around.

They have every season of the 2003 series on there, just wanted to share.

Video quality appears to be 480p (DVD), but might be upscaled. Just in case anyone was hoping for some new HD versions... no.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:43 AM   #34
jignat
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I found a 30 day trial code and made an account just to look around.

They have every season of the 2003 series on there, just wanted to share.

Video quality appears to be 480p (DVD), but might be upscaled. Just in case anyone was hoping for some new HD versions... no.
Thanks for the heads up Zulithe!

Im surprised 2012 and Rise arent on there as they were fully made by Nick.

Im guessing the movie rights and 1987 show are not owned by Viacom since they are not there either?
jignat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #35
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Viacom split the TMNT catalogue across at least 3 streaming platforms. Original cartoon is on Amazon Prime IIRC.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #36
AquaParade
Banned

There is a website where you can buy bootleg versions of the complete 2K3 series on blu ray. No clue what the resolution is, but it looks like at least a little effort was put into the packaging, which is cool.

I find Etsy to be a really fun website to browse for things on.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #37
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNYEQtxJOmh/

Eps 1 - 20 of Rise Season 1 are now on paramount plus
Old 04-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

Why not the full series?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #39
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I can only presume that they want to roll out the episodes over time so that they can ensure they have a steady stream of new content
Old 04-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #40
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:

That image is a homage to the first movie's poster.

Tags
paramount plus