The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #41
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Nobody sees a Godzilla movie for the good story or good writing. They see it for the Kaiju action.
Shin Godzilla was light on Kaiju action and heavy on human drama.

It’s one of the highest grossing Godzilla films in Japan.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It boggles the mind why people hated KOTM when I thought it was superior to the 2014 movie.
"I can't believe anyone didn't like that because I liked it."

You realize this is a ridiculous post, yes?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #43
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Shin Godzilla was light on Kaiju action and heavy on human drama.

It’s one of the highest grossing Godzilla films in Japan.
I see the movies for the Kaiju fights. Don't really care about any of this drama. The Kaijus are big enough of a distraction that you forget about everything else.

Kong even punches Godzilla in the Face. This movie is going to be crazy fun.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #44
Allio
Foot Elite

That’s exactly my point. The spectrum of Kaiju films goes from one end of the spectrum to the other, this is especially true for GodZilla which has gone from Horror to complete children’s popcorn flick. Heisei, as much as I love it, lack in action as well and really comes down to beam-spamming which leads to quite a few that doesn’t even like that era.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:27 PM   #45
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I love John Campea's reaction to the Trailer. He loved it so much.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #46
AquaParade
Banned

Shin Godzilla is so damn cool. Easily my favorite Godzilla film, because it fills me with dread and existential terror, along with containing some gorgeous and powerful sequences.

I suppose Godzilla films are my favorite type of apocalypse film. It just seems like the most terrifying thing ever. I think were something like that to happen, it would feel biblical, even for non-religious types. It would be surreal and horrifying, like a bad dream come to life. That's what I like Godzilla films to capture.
But again, I can also see the potential in having awesome monster fights with the massive budget they have.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #47
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I was actually hoping Godzilla would get killed off after his meltdown technique at the end of King of the Monsters. Obviously, he'd be revived in the next film (somehow) but I thought it would be a nice cliffhanger/mystery to lead into the Kong film.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:44 PM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"I can't believe anyone didn't like that because I liked it."

You realize this is a ridiculous post, yes?
It's also Every Single TC Post Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I suppose Godzilla films are my favorite type of apocalypse film. It just seems like the most terrifying thing ever. I think were something like that to happen, it would feel biblical, even for non-religious types. It would be surreal and horrifying, like a bad dream come to life. That's what I like Godzilla films to capture.
But again, I can also see the potential in having awesome monster fights with the massive budget they have.
We have very different opinions on the KOTM movie - I liked it - but this is more or less how I feel about the entire genre as well.

Sure, there can be "big dumb fun", but... I also want there to be the appropriate level of gravitas. There's pretty much nothing more horrific than the idea of That Kinda Sh*t actually happening in real life. And I pretty much watch every movie with the pretense of "This Is Real" and I don't want that immersion or illusion disrupted.

Giant monsters running wild and unstoppable would be insanely horrific if it ever happened. I prefer that such a powerful idea not be made the subject of fun, at least not too overtly. Like absolutely anything can be "silly" or "funny" if you present it that way, but something like this? It's only "silly" because the first 50 years' worth of movies had bad special effects, therefore the kaiju genre is something of a joke. But is that how the concept SHOULD be thought of or presented? I'd say nah, not at all. There's room to "have fun" with it but I don't see why it should be silly. The actual concept is f*cking terrifying.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 01-25-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #49
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Looks cool. I have not seen KotM. Disappointed by 2014 but really liked Kong. I thought it was great.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:47 AM   #50
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I love John Campea's reaction to the Trailer. He loved it so much.

Remind me why anyone cares what John Campea thinks?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:51 AM   #51
Allio
Foot Elite

Same reason as why anyone cares what anyone thinks
Old 01-27-2021, 05:13 AM   #52
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Same reason as why anyone cares what anyone thinks
The guy is just a shill for every blockbuster though. And he turns his nose at things he thinks won't make a lot of money, and has egg on his face when proven wrong.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:39 AM   #53
AquaParade
Banned

I like John Campea, but he has some annoying quirks if you watch him long enough. He does toot his own horn a lot, and can occasionally be very stubborn and play the semantics game when wrong (Snyder-Cut). Plus, he saw Justice Leage in theaters 5-6 times and tried, like a man chomping on a lemon, to smile about it and pretend it was pretty good. Of course everything is subjective, but I don't think he even believed himself in that case.
So yeah, he can be a bit frustrating, but overall I find him enjoyable to listen to and an okay guy.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #55
Shark_Blade
Emperor

GodzillaVsKong has earned $70M in its box office opening weekend in China.
https://twitter.com/moviesmatrix/sta...318850572?s=21

Seen it at the cinema yesterday. the monsters fights are really great, the humans stories not so much.

I thought the get ups for the mute little girl was too much, she could’ve dressed like a normal girl instead of like a tribal freak living amongst the modern people.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:14 PM   #56
Shark_Blade
Emperor

#GodzillavsKong* earns $122M at the worldwide box office
The best start during the pandemic
https://twitter.com/culturecrave/sta...421725697?s=21
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Seen it at the cinema yesterday. the monsters fights are really great, the humans stories not so much.
Godzilla: The monster fights were short and hard to decipher; the monster stories were simple but OK. The human stories were great, if a little bit "too much."

Godzilla: King of the Monsters: The monsters fights themselves were awesome; the monster stories were AWFUL. The human stories were AWFUL.

Not sure what to expect of King Kong vs. Godzilla. I don't care what ratio of human stuff there is this time as long as it's not distractingly terribly written as it was with the last one and it doesn't take unnecessarily away from the main event.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #58
Powder
So tired of this place

Saw it, loved it. No spoilers, don't worry. Watched it with my SO, we've seen every single Godzilla movie to date & are huge fans, it definitely got our seal of approval.

Pros:
-Things get going right from the start/good pacing
-There are some endearing new characters
-Really solid action/fight scenes
-Visuals are flashy but diverse
-There's tons of references to past Toho Godzilla/Kong movies that aren't on the nose but actually pretty deep cuts
-Scenes take place across many unique & interesting settings, varying also between night/day, weather conditions
-The kaiju are compelling when they display emotion, & fortunately do so without being over the top/cartoony
-As far as the fate of certain conflicts go, things are clear cut

Cons:
-One character's motivations don't quite make sense
-While we see some new things pertaining to Titan lore, it poses more questions than answers
-Godzilla is very under-utilized, it's pretty much a King Kong movie that features The Big G (I actually liked that, myself, having adored Skull Island, but they don't quite market it that way, so you may be disappointed)
-None of the newly established Titans from the end of KOTM are shown, mentioned, or followed up on in any way

On a whole, it delivers. You may want a few more Godzilla scenes out of it, but it should otherwise give you what you want. It's thoroughly entertaining, & respectful/true to the property. Closes out the set of 4 films very well, I think. I've enjoyed them all a lot, I'd love more, but it is my understanding that Toho couldn't proceed with their plans for a new Japanese reboot series until this one was capped, so let's go ahead & get to that. Nobody does Godzilla better than his parents. I look forward to whatever's next.

Fun fact, James Rolfe, AKA the Angry Video Game Nerd, was asked to make a cameo, but had to turn it down as his daughter was about to be born. Too bad, would've been funny to see him.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #59
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

Fun fact, James Rolfe, AKA the Angry Video Game Nerd, was asked to make a cameo, but had to turn it down as his daughter was about to be born. Too bad, would've been funny to see him.
I'd love to know what the context of the cameo would have been!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #60
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I just got back from the seeing the movie in theaters. I really enjoyed it, hope it does well, and that we get more movies.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote