The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #81
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm officially past the point where people whining about The Simpsons annoys me way more than anything The Simpsons ever did.
same

10char
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #82
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I'm officially past the point where people whining about The Simpsons annoys me way more than anything The Simpsons ever did.
It's just the show had it's time in the sun but should had died in 2001 to become a legendary show instead of a undead creature that's been shambling as it's been dead for a long time and that undead creature needs to be shot in the head.

I mean face it Leo656, everything i said is true and today we have Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers and more being in The Simpsons tradition.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:14 PM   #83
Leo656
The Franchise

More like, everything you said is an opinion which many people share, but not everyone, and some people completely don't care.

Like my own opinion that Bob's Burgers is terrible. We all got 'em!

Frankly, I haven't been in love with most of what I've seen in recent years from The Simpsons either, but I'm long past the point where I care enough to continually talk about it. Sometimes I watch it, sometimes I don't.

I can ignore the show; I can't ignore the constant whining about it, however, so at this point that's far more irritating to me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #84
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Agreed. I thought it was actually still good until around the time the movie came out, though. I lost interest in the series after that. I’m indifferent to how the show has changed quality wise since then. Life is too short.
Wesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:14 AM   #85
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
The only reason I watch that show is for Louise and any episode with Rudy.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #86
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
More like, everything you said is an opinion which many people share, but not everyone, and some people completely don't care.

Frankly, I haven't been in love with most of what I've seen in recent years from The Simpsons either, but I'm long past the point where I care enough to continually talk about it. Sometimes I watch it, sometimes I don't.

I can ignore the show; I can't ignore the constant whining about it, however, so at this point that's far more irritating to me.
But since your the same age as me, don't you remember when they debuted on Tracy Ullman 32 years ago and when they debuted 30 years ago with that fantastic Christmas special episode and remember the glorious days of The Simpsons in the 90s with Simpsonsmania?

I do! oh it was glorious when The Simpsons was special and when it was something unique for it's mocking of the perfect family sitcoms of the time just like Married with Children was also anti-authority comedy before Simpsons came along.

I bet you remember the merchandise, the Burger King toys (I had a Bart doll from Burger King when i was 8 even some BK toys), i had some of the books like Bart's guide to life which is one of my favorite books, remember the Simpsons album (remember "Do The Bartman"?), the arcade game (I loved playing the hell out of that game at the arcades in my city and on my annual since 89 trips to Vegas), renting the video games, the merchandhise even t-shirts etc. I do and man oh man, what a time it was for The Simpsons before it became roadkill (meaning it had life at one time before it got ran over by Fox's car in late 2000 and it served it's purpose when it was alive and what's left after that is a decaying body that became reanimated by their scientists.

And don't you remember how smart and well done the humor was done with memorable brilliant quotes in The Simpsons (not Seasons 12 to now Zombie Simpsons) like on Bart Sells his Soul to touching heartfelt episodes like Lisa's Substitute, Mother Simpsons, Lisa on Ice etc.? which had emotion, heart and humanity even characters you cared about? i do, i do (doing my impression of that funny song "We do" from the Homer the Great episode being one of my favorite episodes).

Do you also remember when it had proper use of celebrities like Michael Jackson as an insane man who thinks he's Michael Jackson to Dustin Hoffman as Mr Bergstrom to even when it had celebrities themselves on my favorite episode Krusty Gets Kancelled? yup and this was before it was worshipping celebrities and the rich and embracing the culture than mocking it.

God, we both feel so old remembering our past with The Simpsons and how glorious it was. Yet when did you stopped watching the show? i stopped in 2003 like i said.

I mean we should cherish seasons 1 to 10 you know but 11 had it's moments like the Funzo episode and i think "Behind The Laughter" which is one of my favorite episodes should had been the last episode as it would had been a perfect closure to the series in 2000.

I see Behind The Laughter as the last truly “good” episode of the show. It has a lot of awesome parts in it–the “wing and a prayer” line is one of my favorite in the history of the series.

I think it’s very telling to note that they did this basically by not being The Simpsons. Not only do they adopt the format of a completely different show, but they basically throw all characterization out the window and sever their connection with the show’s past. They even have Homer saying “this is the last season,” and basically destroy the mystery of Springfield’s state. It’s like the show was saying goodbye. And of course, even though most of us didn’t stop watching at this point exactly, it does feel like an ending for most of us, doesn’t it?

A lot of the time when a show is good you guys will say how it would have fit in with one of the earlier, better seasons… but this one would not fit in anywhere else. In terms of quality, yes, it’s at the same level of season 9. But really, the episode works best as an ending, and I would say having come after so many mediocre episode helps it. It’s like the perfect goodbye episode, the sort-of series finale that is the closest we ever got to real closure on The Simpsons.

I sometimes imagine an alternate universe where they used this episode as a springboard to turn the show into something completely different. Throw out the old format and make a crazy show that was no longer centered on the family anymore. I think the show could POSSIBLY have been good for a few more years if they did this. Probably they would have failed, but at least it would have been an interesting failure, and maybe one that led to cancellation… rather than the lifeless crappy mediocrity we’ve had now for over a decade and counting.

Yet, do you feel that the show is too much of a 90s product to survive in the new millenium? i do and should had died with it's time. I mean, i see the Simpsons as a family of the 90s but then i heard when they changed the origins and all to stay relevant with "that 90s show", it just feels dishonest and not caring.

Bobs Burgers is decent, yet like i said Bojack Horseman is probably the closet thing to being in the spirit like classic The Simpsons with the same similar anti-hollywood satire, relatable characters, writing, intelligence and all.

Yet you glad King of the Hill, Futurama and Regular Show ended on good notes with final episodes that become zombies too? i do and they needed to end on good notes as they earned it. As yes, let's just pretend Simpsons ended in 2000 with "Behind The Laughter" and move on to enjoy other adult animation, cherish the good old days of The Simpsons season 1 to 10 with some season 11 episodes like the one i mentioned to remember when it was a special show and when it was a big thing on pop culture.

And i also hope this year we get seasons 1 to 3 on blu-ray.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:48 PM   #87
Leo656
The Franchise

Yes, I remember. Apparently I just have more important things to get annoyed by.

Yes, The Simpsons morphed into a Family Guy clone when that became the more popular show. That's the business, what can I say? People prefer their "adult" cartoons to be more cynical and mean-spirited, with lots of celebrity gags. No, that's not The Simpsons, but again, business is business. Their job is creating content and keeping advertisers happy. And I am pretty sure they're not concerned with what anyone pushing 40 has to say, on account of we're really supposed to have better things to do than watch cartoons in the first place. Or cry about how they're not the same 30 years later.

I've made peace with it. I generally only have TV on in the background as I read, anyway, unless I'm watching a movie. Too passive. More of a video game guy. I can't just sit and watch TV anymore, I feel like I'm getting nothing done.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 AM   #88
Roseangelo
Emperor

Haha. That is so many words dedicated to a show you've lost interest in.

I agree with Leo656. I'm tired of how it's "cool" to hate on the Simpsons after <insert year of choice here>. People are just regurgitating the same opinion and that makes that opinion meaningless to me.

I like the Simpsons pretty fine from any year. I don't seek out watching it, but if it's on I'll keep it on.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #90
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The show has now been renewed for two further years

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-fox-1183289
... 32 seasons...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #91
CyberCubed
Overlord

Why do they always say this:

Quote:
The Simpsons is the first series to be renewed at Fox for the 2019-2020 broadcast season. The series long ago topped Gunsmoke and holds the record for the most number of a scripted series ever. By the end of its current 30th season, it will have aired more than 660 episodes
The Simpsons is far from the longest scripted series ever. There's tons of anime with more than 660 episodes. They should specify they're talking about western cartoons, and even then it depends if you count stuff that's constantly rebooted like all the Scooby Doo series, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #92
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The show has now been renewed for two further years

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-fox-1183289
Fox needs to let this show go, it's no longer relevant in today's world compared to those shows i mentioned.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 PM   #93
Leo656
The Franchise

And yet, a bunch of people must still watch it, for it to keep getting renewed. It's most likely not "irrelevant" to the advertisers. I doubt they keep it around for the sole purpose of annoying you. Although that would be pretty funny.

I'unno man. I hate "Big Bang", I don't watch it. I never even express my opinion of it unless someone asks. It's not important enough for me to worry about. Kinda think people should shuffle their priorities a bit if they feel annoyed that a show they don't watch still exists.

Besides, it's Fox. They'd just replace it with crap. Their non-Simpsons, non-Family Guy track record isn't great.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:09 AM   #94
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
And yet, a bunch of people must still watch it

ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:34 AM   #95
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
"The bringer of beer"

... I'm sure that woos any woman.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #96
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
"The bringer of beer"

... I'm sure that woos any woman.
My wife seems to like it.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #97
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

When was the grandpa bullfighting episode ?

"Taco Pronto"
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #98
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Like i said the new adult animation shows are the new kings of adult animation as they are more relevant today while Fox is such a cancer to all networks for not letting Family Guy and Simpsons die when they should had and making them into reanimated zombies? i mean some great shows like Lucifer and Brooklyn which are well written were canned while they keep the rotting corpses of Family Guy and Simpsons on the air. All you have to do is stop watching Fox and that will send studios the message.

Yet anyone glad King of the Hill and Futurama ended when they needed to? i'm very happy and they didn't become zombies as they needed to rest in peace.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #99
Leo656
The Franchise

Family Guy's the only thing on TV worth watching and has been for ages.

People say I'M joyless? Oof.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #100
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What's this, Azaria is stepping down as the voice of Apu? But... I thought they already cut Apu from the show? Did that just never happen?

https://www.darkhorizons.com/azaria-...u-on-simpsons/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funnierthanmodernsimpsons, no more indians, thank you come again