The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Secret Invasion marvel Disney + series

Marvel Studios
@MarvelStudios
ยท
29m
Samuel L. Jackson is back as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn from Captain Marvel returns as the Skrull Talos in Marvel Studios' Original Series Secret Invasion. Coming to #DisneyPlus.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

The entire premise of Secret Invasion is that several Skrulls have kidnapped and replaced superheroes with the intention of taking over earth. How does that align with the MCU depiction of the Skrulls as innocent refugees?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

You think the people who make MCU movies actually look at the comic books past the covers? After 80 movies already, what on Earth gave you that idea?

At best, they skim Wikipedia. They're not the least it concerned with fidelity.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Eh. I'd be more excited if we had more interesting heroes. But with Cap and Tony both gone, and no X-Men...

We'll see. Marginally interested, could go either way.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You think the people who make MCU movies actually look at the comic books past the covers? After 80 movies already, what on Earth gave you that idea?

At best, they skim Wikipedia. They're not the least it concerned with fidelity.
Which brings us to a good point, why is it so rare to see actual adaptations of comic book story arcs?

I hear a lot of weak excuses like "comic book stories are so complicated, they need to be streamlined". Yes, streamlined not thrown out. Streamlining does not mean "let's take the bare bones idea and do whatever the hell we want", it means simplifying what's there to make it work within a two hour runtime. An comic stories might end up having a lot continuity attached to them due to running for decades but the arcs themselves tend to be fairly easy to understand, because the continuity can rather easily be brushed off as backstory (which is something literally every single story, regardless of how it's told, has by the way). And the dirty little secret with Marvel/DC in particular is that becuase most things reset in some way, it doesn't even really matter in what order you read most of them.

You don't need to adapt everything to keep the story the same, just cut out the parts that aren't necessary and important background info can just be talked about. Hollywood does this to novels all the damn time and comics really shouldn't be any different in theory.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

The reason they've given out loud for this is, "We don't want the movies/TV shows to be 'predictable' for people who've already read the comics."

Which fundamentally misunderstands the comic book audience, which historically is very outspoken about not liking change and wanting things Exactly The Way They Like It. Sure, there's exceptions, but MOST comic book fans are huge fans of status quo, continuity and fidelity, and they would generally prefer that the "adaptations" play things as straight as possible and not deviate too much.

BUT. The studios would rather "surprise" people, which the comic book-reading audience bitches about 99% of the time. And the studios also realize that most of the people watching the movie/show have never and will never read a comic book, so they figure "It doesn't matter anyway."

But see, I think that's backwards. I think that's all the more reason why they SHOULD just keep things straight, because then you please everybody. The comic book fans get a "straight" adaptation with very few questionable/infuriating deviations, and the newer audience who hasn't read the comics will be "surprised" by what they see, anyway. Everybody wins. Sure, there's comic book fans who DO say, "I'd prefer they go off-script", but they're by far the minority. MOST comic book fans would prefer things be as 1:1 as possible.

So, that's the answer to your question. They're hellbent on "surprising" a group of people who generally don't want to be surprised.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:54 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This IS live action, yes?

I guess I was wrong, or they changed plans mid-COVID. I was sure Captain Marvel 2 was going to be Captain Marvel: Secret Invasion.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:07 AM   #8
IMJ
Emperor

It seems like Marvel really capped themselves in the knee as far as feature films go. So much of this is T.V. now. What do we have that's honestly anticipated theater now? Spider-Man. Dr. Strange. That's it. The rest of it looks like crap.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:08 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
It seems like Marvel really capped themselves in the knee as far as feature films go. So much of this is T.V. now. What do we have that's honestly anticipated theater now? Spider-Man. Dr. Strange. That's it. The rest of it looks like crap.
I doubt they're worried. They've still got the entire X-Men verse to throw at us, whenever they want to.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:10 AM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I doubt they're worried. They've still got the entire X-Men verse to throw at us, whenever they want to.
They really need to just do a 90's, costumed X-Men dude.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
They really need to just do a 90's, costumed X-Men dude.
Of course! That's what I've been waiting for. You know, maybe not quite as bright and colorful... but if the Singerverse is a "1" and the 90s X-Men/X-Men TAS stuff is a "10" in terms of "Big" and "Bright," then maybe strike a balance somewhere around a 6 or a 7.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:30 AM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

It leaked out a while ago that in the X-Men reboot, either Magneto or Xavier (or both) is gonna be black, and one or both might be gay as well.

Still interested? You know that's no smoke, at least one of those things is an absolute lock. If they're not going for a straight-up 90s X-Men adaptation WITHOUT any pointless nonsense, I ain't interested.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:34 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It leaked out a while ago that in the X-Men reboot, either Magneto or Xavier (or both) is gonna be black, and one or both might be gay as well.
I don't buy those rumors, personally. But yeah... "Forced Diversity" will be inflicted upon existing characters for sure. It's just a question of to what extent and if it will be characters anybody cares about.

I wonder what they'll do with Magneto, though. Perhaps they'll void the Auschwitz/WWII stuff and contemporize things somehow. Like how Nam became Afghanistan/Iraq for Punisher, etc..
Old 12-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Well that's why they said they were doing it. Can't do "Holocaust Survivor", because 1. "Too long ago" and 2. "Makes people uncomfortable". So therefore Magento will be black/gay because that's the exact same thing. They merely want to focus on him as being a victimized minority and they think those things are more contemporary. That's the entire point of it.

Plus, "allegedly", so many people already joke about Magneto and Xavier being jilted gay lovers that they just want to lean into it.

I absolutely believe the rumors. It fits completely with their already-announced upcoming slate and what their priorities for THOSE movies are. They wouldn't "waste" race-flipping or "straight-to-gay" flipping a minor character, it'll absolutely be one of the Big Ones.

Vegas Odds say at the very least Magneto will be black, while Xavier might be white, but they'll almost certainly be ex-lovers.

So, again... still interested? Not me. Which sucks. A "real" X-Men movie would be the only way I'd ever go see an MCU movie in theaters. I know they don't need my money and all, but still.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:12 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah... that'd be a pass from me.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #16
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The entire premise of Secret Invasion is that several Skrulls have kidnapped and replaced superheroes with the intention of taking over earth. How does that align with the MCU depiction of the Skrulls as innocent refugees?
You know there are good Skrulls and bad Skrulls, right?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #17
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Just as they're good and bad refugees.

I do think this ought to be a Sony/Marvel collab. One of the big players in the original was Jessica Drew, aka Spider-Woman, who the Skrull Queen impersonated.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #18
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This IS live action, yes?

I guess I was wrong, or they changed plans mid-COVID. I was sure Captain Marvel 2 was going to be Captain Marvel: Secret Invasion.
I don't think it was ever confirmed that Captain Marvel 2 was going to be Secret Invasion but it was rumoured it was going to adapt that and the Kree/Skrull war and it certainly made sense given what the first movie set up.

I think it could still work. The Nick Fury show covers the Secret Invasion half while the movie covers the more action heavy Kree/Skrull war stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Just as they're good and bad refugees.

I do think this ought to be a Sony/Marvel collab. One of the big players in the original was Jessica Drew, aka Spider-Woman, who the Skrull Queen impersonated.
Jessica Drew had a cult following and had been built up again by Bendis so it was a shock that she had been a Skrull all along. The character hasn't even made her debut in the MCU. No one would care if she was an imposter. I wouldn't be averse to the character in the MCU and to see her friendship with Carol but I'm not sure this is the story to do it.

Come to think of it I can't think of what character in the MCU we'd care about enough for it to be a shock to find out they'd long been a Skrull. Maria Hill maybe?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:02 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And Emilia Clarke:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/emilia-...cret-invasion/

Cool, I guess.