The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

And 9/11 was already 16 years ago

That's right, 16 years ago the World Trade Center went down due to two hijacked Boeing airplanes. I remember watching the towers collapse live on TV when I was a kid. I was only 10 years old at the time and two days away from starting 6th grade(yes, I started school on a Thursday that year).

Where were you on 9/11? I remember waking up around lunch time or so and the 2nd or 3rd thing I've heard after my mother told me to wake up was that airplanes had hit two skyscrapers called WTC... two buildings I had never heard off before. I was like "well that's an unfortunate accident". Then I think I saw the first tower collapse live on TV as I was eating and my brother yelling at my mother who was in the kitchen atm "the tower just fell!". It was pretty surreal to see a building fall live on TV. Also, I saw this live on Portuguese TV, so obviously they weren't as emotionally affected by the whole ordeal as I assume American TV broadcasts were. I remember the correspondent saying "the tower fell" and the other guy was like "Right... I guess the same is likely to happen to the other one as well?"

So yeah my family watched it on tv all day and I believe we watched a football/soccer game later that night as well. Liverpool vs. Boavista. 1-1 and Silva celebrating Boavista's goal in a rather goofy manner. If it had been today I bet the media would sh*t all over him

So yeah, I know my story isn't particularly interesting, so I assume you guys have mote interesting stories since most of you are American and some of you are from NYC here. If you don't mind, care to share?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

22, in college (taking a couple final courses at the campus near home), but was not a day I had class so I was still in bed that morning. My mom came and told me a short time after it happened. Luckily I missed seeing the second plane live.

Wasn't overly afraid of what was going on, but with no one entirely knowing everything, still slightly concerned since, as the crow flies, a straight path between NY and DC cuts right over my area. Just a little creepy. (Though after they stopped all air traffic for a while, that was strange seeing nothing as planes are common through here.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-10-2017 at 08:27 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
22, in college (taking a couple final courses at the campus near home), but was not a day I had class so I was still in bed that morning. My mom came and told me a short time after it happened. Luckily I missed seeing the second plane live.

Wasn't overly afraid of what was going on, but with no one entirely knowing everything, still slightly concerned since, as the crow flies, a straight path between NY and DC cuts right over my area. Just a little creepy.
Tbh, as an 10 year old kid at the time, seeing the footage of people jumping off the windows to their death being constantly repeated was a quite uncomfortable sight to me.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm from NY, I was in class, just starting my first year of middle school (6th grade, 10 years old). It didn't really resonate with me much, I didn't quite have the depth of understanding or emotional maturity to really grasp how serious an event it was. + I was going through my edgy punk phase, so I mostly cracked jokes about it, to be completely honest. I remember being jealous of other kids whose parents pulled them out of school early, as mine hadn't. Class wasn't really class, each period I went to had less & less students, they pretty much just let us chill & answered questions if we had any.

Had some concerns about my dad when I got home though, realizing he worked in that area. He had gotten in touch early on to let my mom know he was safe, but got home late, with suit/ash all over the hood of his car. He was lucky.

It'll probably seem messed up but what I recall best about 9/11 is that everyone in my house hogged the TV's, keeping up with live news coverage. I was super pissed off because I missed a decent chunk of Toonami, namely Dragonball Z, which had new episodes airing at the time. I couldn't understand why everyone was in a different room watching the same thing, just gather together around one, & let me have my anime on another!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I'm from NY, I was in class, just starting my first year of middle school (6th grade, 10 years old). It didn't really resonate with me much, I didn't quite have the depth of understanding or emotional maturity to really grasp how serious an event it was. + I was going through my edgy punk phase, so I mostly cracked jokes about it, to be completely honest. I remember being jealous of other kids whose parents pulled them out of school early, as mine hadn't. Class wasn't really class, each period I went to had less & less students, they pretty much just let us chill & answered questions if we had any.

Had some concerns about my dad when I got home though, realizing he worked in that area. He had gotten in touch early on to let my mom know he was safe, but got home late, with suit/ash all over the hood of his car. He was lucky.

It'll probably seem messed up but what I recall best about 9/11 is that everyone in my house hogged the TV's, keeping up with live news coverage. I was super pissed off because I missed a decent chunk of Toonami, namely Dragonball Z, which had new episodes airing at the time. I couldn't understand why everyone was in a different room watching the same thing, just gather together around one, & let me have my anime on another!
Well, it's not like I had the maturity to fully grasp what had just happened either.

Also, I remember being kinda depressed in the days previous to 9/11 because school was gonna start on September 13 and I really hated school as a kid. I was always sad when Summer break came to an end. Then 9/11 happens and I sorta forget about school starting two days later. It sure made my last two days of Summer break seem longer than what they actually were. Kinda odd to look back and think that 9/11 happened at the end of one of my childhood's Summer breaks now that I think about it. This was actually the year I remember starting school earlier than in any other year. Usually we'd start school between September 14 and 17. Starting school on a Thursday, who'd even think of that?!

I dunno if I played any video games on 9/11 or in the day after it. I remember some months later in Art class, a classmate of mine drew an airplane heading towards the WTC. I wonder if the teacher graded that kid or if she got upset at him

At home, when I played with my toys I also did similar things for a while. Stacking up a bunch of VHS cases to make it look like two skyscrapers and fly my toy airplanes into them.

I guess those attacks inspired lots of artists...
Old 09-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I barely have memories of the day itself because I was in second grade at the time and spent it at school. Obviously we would have been told what was happening, but I don't remember.

What I DO remember was the first anniversary in 3rd grade, wherein we made a human hand-holding chain around the school and they played that goddamn "I'm Proud to Be an American" song on the PA system.

Definitely did not have the emotional maturity to understand it at the time either. I think the only part I cared about was that innocent people died in a malicious attack and not the socio-political aspects of it. And certainly did not partake in the Patriotism Gush that followed after it. Still haven't.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I barely have memories of the day itself because I was in second grade at the time and spent it at school. Obviously we would have been told what was happening, but I don't remember.

What I DO remember was the first anniversary in 3rd grade, wherein we made a human hand-holding chain around the school and they played that goddamn "I'm Proud to Be an American" song on the PA system.

Definitely did not have the emotional maturity to understand it at the time either. I think the only part I cared about was that innocent people died in a malicious attack and not the socio-political aspects of it. And certainly did not partake in the Patriotism Gush that followed after it. Still haven't.
Oh man, I remember when the Iraq War started and all seeing most American online defending it. 2003-2004 was more or less the time where I began talking to more people online and I found Americans to be raging blind patriots. I also remember Americans who were against the Iraq War being considered traitor and sh*t. That post-9/11 GOD BLESS MURRICA overt patriotism that lasted until about 2005 or so was so cringeworthy, man.

It's kinda funny how the whole world was weeping for USA after 9/11 happened and a couple of years later... you start seeing anti-American sentiment spreading all over the globe, even in Europe, a place where anti-American sentiment wasn't really a thing. I think that's when the whole Europeans finding Americans dumb and unrefined thing has started. It also coincided with the Internet getting bigger and bigger and Europeans getting in contact with Americans more easily than ever before.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ehhh, it's still sticking around in some places. Especially among the 60+ Bible Belt groups.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Ehhh, it's still sticking around in some places. Especially among the 60+ Bible Belt groups.
I believe you, but that's not the age bracket of Americans I'm exactly exposed to online.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
mrmaczaps
Banned

I was sleeping when it started.
Went to college class around 10 or 11, maybe noontime even. Class was cancelled but the school stayed open for ayone making the drive in and the students on campus... talked a bit about it...

Then went to my fiancees house and basically stared at the news there for most of the day.... most pubpic events up here were not cancelled until later in the day/afternoon. I think Godsmack or Disturbed was supposed to be doing a show that night and I had had tickets.... but they never rescheduled... and I got better taste in music anyways...

All those lives lost and we are no safer from terrorism or its cause now...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
All those lives lost and we are no safer from terrorism or its cause now...
Sadly one of the dangers of being a social species with a worldwide population of billions. Hard to perfectly weed out all the awful, crazy ones who want to do awful things. Most of us, I would assume, just go about living hoping that most other humans around us don't mean us any harm... Don't really have any other choice.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Tbh terrorism was already a big issue years before 9/11. More people died of terrorists attacks in Europe back in the 70s and in the 80s than since 9/11. Difference is, back then the terrorists were committed by radical political organisations, usually far-left and far-right. But around the turn of the century the enemy became Islamic terrorism. And it's a lot easier to hate an enemy that is different from us in culture and religious beliefs.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #13
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Believe it or not, I sometimes forget 9/11 happened.
If it weren't for threads like this or people reminding me, I'd never even think about it.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Believe it or not, I sometimes forget 9/11 happened.
If it weren't for threads like this or people reminding me, I'd never even think about it.
I usually don't remember it either. I just happened to remember this year for some reason.

Nowadays 9/11 has mostly become a conspiracy theorists meme.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
My hubby and I were living with my grandmother at the time. We had only been married about a year and a half. I had slept on the living room sofa the night before because I wasn't feeling well and it was closer to the bathroom and was cooler. But he came in after waking up and turned on the tv, as he didn't work until later, and I was basically a housewife and part-time "mom" to my three cousins. I was barely awake, but I remember him saying "Whoa what movie is this?" when he saw the footage of the first plane hit. Then I looked at the tv and we both realized it was the news. Less than five minutes later the second plane hit. We watched the entire event unfolding, horrified, and saw the other two planes that hit the Pentagon and the one that the passengers fought back on to crash in Pennsylvania. It was one of the most horrific things I ever saw. Strangely enough, I have witnessed two other disasters as they happened- both the Challenger and Columbia shuttles crashing.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Since USA is so big, did people who live far from New York feel scared that day? I mean, Los Angles and NYC are what, as far as Portugal and Russia are from each other, more or less?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That one that went down in PA, that's the one that still chokes me up. I believe they were supposedly the only passengers that found out what was happening and that other planes had already hit in NYC and DC. I can't imagine the idea of them being on the phone with loved ones, literally having to say goodbye because they were going to take the plane down to stop it and save others. And I guess just close the blind on the windows and not watch the ground coming? So heartbreaking.

The thought of talking to someone on some plane that is going to die and you can't do anything to save them... Geeze. Do you say goodbyes, I loves yous, and hang up? Or do you stay on until the connection goes dead...
Old 09-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
That one that went down in PA, that's the one that still chokes me up. I believe they were supposedly the only passengers that found out what was happening and that other planes had already hit in NYC and DC. I can't imagine the idea of them being on the phone with loved ones, literally having to say goodbye because they were going to take the plane down. And I guess just close the blind on the windows and not watch the ground coming? So heartbreaking.
I think there are theories that no passenger revolt happened and that the plane was shot down by the US army while it was in mid-air still. But that's probably just another one of those 9/11 conspiracy theories. This one isn't so farfetched, however. I mean passengers revolting against hijackers and taking down the airplane themselves seems a bit like a movie thing. Maybe the pilots were dead by then and no one else knew how to pilot an airplane? Also, apparently that plane was headed towards either the Capitol or the White House.

9/11 was a huge security fail. The biggest one in USA's history. Especially considering the WTC had already been a target about a decade before. Although the M.O. of the terrorists was something completely never seen before.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #19
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Yeah that one still gets me too. I would like to think that I would have been one of those who stood up to stop it, even knowing what it would mean. But I'm not sure how I'd react to a conversation on the phone like that- having someone you love saying goodbye right before they force it down.....

No they really did revolt. There are the recordings of the conversations with the passengers. As for the pilots, it was the terrorists themselves who were flying it after killing the pilots IIRC. That one was supposedly headed for the White House, in an attempt to cripple the government in one blow.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Since USA is so big, did people who live far from New York feel scared that day? I mean, Los Angles and NYC are what, as far as Portugal and Russia are from each other, more or less?
People were pulling their kids from their classes at my school, and that was in Texas. So yeah, alarm was all over the place.

Tags
mrmagaczaps