The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Mirage Comic question before reading.

Hello.

I don't post here often but i read daily, i love the Ninja Turtles since i was around 5 years old back in the 80's, loved everything about them.
And with that comes two questions.
I want to read the Mirage comic because i've never read it before.

My questions:

1-
Spoiler:
I know that Raphael's face is mutelated by some blast or something where he goes half blind and half his face is gone, and Donatello becomes a half cyborg. I really don't like this, it's honestly creeping me out, shocking (in a bad way) and weird to me... i love these characters to much for them to be mutelated permanetly(?). So is this a permanent thing or will they be cured?

2- How is the character interaction? Do they laugh together and have fun like in Archie or is it nothing but brooding seriousness? Do they interact with fun new characters like in Archie and IDW?

Thank you.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

This is less a Mirage question than it is an Image one.
Image books are...a product of their time. They're not 100% GrimDark, but they're not a fanciful romp either.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

1. This regards "Volume 3" which was a run of comics produced by a team at Image comics. They were intended to be canon, a direct continuation of Mirage's work (leaving off with their own Volume 2). However when Pete created Vol. 4 he didn't acknowledge the events of those issues, instead making his stories take place a number of years later, so none of what occurred really effects the big picture.

For some, Volume 3 is held in high esteem, because of how gritty it is. I personally would highly reccommend seeing it through (it's only 25 issues or so, after all), if only for how it rounds out Casey & Michelangelo. But technically speaking, you could skip it altogether & not miss a beat.

2. There is tons of fun. They've gone to alien bars, costume parties, zombie hot rod races, traveled time, etc. The first few issues are a bit more serious, & others scattered throughout are as well, but the turtles crack jokes here & there & definitely have the brotherly vibe going on.

The first film faithfully adapted sizeable chunks of the earliest issues, so if you hold that movie near & dear, you'll like what you see.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
Hello.

I don't post here often but i read daily, i love the Ninja Turtles since i was around 5 years old back in the 80's, loved everything about them.

My questions:

1-
Spoiler:
I know that Raphael's face is mutelated by some blast or something where he goes half blind and half his face is gone, and Donatello becomes a half cyborg. I really don't like this, it's honestly creeping me out, shocking (in a bad way) and weird to me... i love these characters to much for them to be mutelated permanetly(?). So is this a permanent thing or will they be cured?

2- How is the character interaction? Do they laugh together and have fun like in Archie or is it nothing but brooding seriousness? Do they interact with fun new characters like in Archie and IDW?

Thank you.
  1. That's part of a non-canon 20-something issue series, so don't worry about it, it's never referenced again in the 100+ issues released afterwards.
  2. There are lighter stories and they so meet "fun" characters, Renet for example.

Overall, it's not nearly as dark or serious as some people might make you think. It's just more violent than it's adaptations, it's still fairly goofy when you get right down to brass tax. The actual "dark" stuff is more like weirdly depressing stuff.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Hello.

My questions:

1-
Spoiler:

Thank you.

As someone who read and enjoyed nearly all the Mirage stuff, vol 3 fits nicely in the middle and once read, does not disappoint.... as long as younread the fan finale issues 24 & 25. These fan issues tie everything mostly up nice & neat just in time to kinda of tie in to where the Turtles are for volume four.

Like someone else above said, if you like the 1990 movie, the first 11 or so issues were the loose script/idea behind it.

There are some lighter stories, some time travel, the hot rodding stuff and some trippy stuff and then some really hard to read goofball stuff... Best way to read volume one is the 6 hardcover Eastman & Laird collected editions from IDW. Frkm there, also get the Zulli hardcover collection (I think its Zulli...) Soul's Trilogy I think its titled.

Vol 2 and the rest has not been collected as of yet.

If you are looking for any random issues from any of it, I have a halfway decent selection of books that fills out at least one issue of each volume. (Follow the link in my signature...)

The old stuff may not be considered "the best" but I find it far superior to the trade writing that is done with almost all of todays comics... knowing that a collection is coming has slowed things down too much and sometimes rushes it as well...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
mrmaczaps
Banned

Sorry for the double posting....

I also originally skipped volume 3, but then happened to get a couple issues for about cover price, read them and its not nearly as dark and grungy as some will say it is... the first four or so issues the creators working on the book are really trying to identify and get a feel for the brothers. The art is a bit off and sometimes distracting but they get into a groove and suddenly the series is over... its really too bad and I wish IDW would work on getting those guys back and allowing them to do a proper ending for v3.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Seeing as others above me have answered your questions better than I probably could, I'll just give you some advice before you decide to jump into Mirage: this stuff can get expensive and hard to track down. The aforementioned Image series in particular can be expensive to collect, due to it's popularity and the print runs. People want it and won't let it go cheap. Same goes for Mirage; vol 4 issues are things people don't really want to part with and with the rarity of some of these issues can be expensive on the open market. And then there's the fact that a lot of these issues have never been rereleased or made into collections, leaving you to try to hunt down the original flopies to get the whole story.

I'm not trying to scare you off of Mirage or anything, just giving you a heads up. It might be a hassle getting into Mirage, but it's definitely worth it.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
actually Vol 2 was collected in the final volumes of Tmnt classics series.

https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-M...al-comic/95063

https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-M...l-comic/176488

https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-M...l-comic/235876
Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
Oh wow, thats cool. I hadn't seen that. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Oh wow, thats cool. I hadn't seen that. Thanks.
you're very welcome!

i picked up all the classics volumes during the last comixology digital sale, and was pleasantly surprised to find Mirage Vol. 2 hiding in there.

Quote:
Thanks again!

I really want to get into the Mirage comic because that started it all and i've been a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles since i was a kid (i'm now 30 years old).
Read the Archie comics (and doing so again now), played the video games, watched the 90's trilogy, watched the 80's/90's cartoon.
My girlfriend even got me a Raphael figure this year

Can't wait to start reading the Mirage ones.
I'll look into it.
you're welcome!

the early Mirage comics are definitely a 'MUST check out' !!!

i love the IDW collected hardcovers as it has all the Eastman Laird issues, as well as containing foot notes from Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird after each issue. that's in both the digital and Hardcover copy.
the colorized 'Works' collection doesn't include this.

which Raph figure did your Girlfriend get you?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #11
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
you're very welcome!

i picked up all the classics volumes during the last comixology digital sale, and was pleasantly surprised to find Mirage Vol. 2 hiding in there.

you're welcome!

the early Mirage comics are definitely a 'MUST check out' !!!

i love the IDW collected hardcovers as it has all the Eastman Laird issues, as well as containing foot notes from Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird after each issue. that's in both the digital and Hardcover copy.
the colorized 'Works' collection doesn't include this.

which Raph figure did your Girlfriend get you?
I will deffinitly check it out, can't wait to start reading it but first i want to finish all of the Archie ones.

And she bought me the Classic 1990 movie Raphael figure.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/movies-tv...91080-34158896

This one

Edit: While we're on the subject, does anyone know a good Ninja Turtle merchandise site that ships to the Netherlands?

Last edited by Mexiun; 04-30-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #12
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
As another poster mentioned it has along with Volume 1. Volume 3 hasn't been collected yet neither has 4.

Quote:
1-
Spoiler:
Yeah I get what you're saying. I feel the same way. Volume 3 does indeed seem like a strange parallel universe of Mirage. I still have to sit down and read it all.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Yeah I get what you're saying. I feel the same way. Volume 3 does indeed seem like a strange parallel universe of Mirage. I still have to sit down and read it all.
They let you do that, where you're at?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 AM   #14
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

So far the Mirage comics are okay, some chapters are really good (not many to be honest) but most chapters are plain awful and seem like filler to me.
Spoiler:
Like the alien girl who randomly came to Earth and teleported the turtles to the medieval times with a demon obsessed with her sceptre. Then some issues later another random alien girl who happens to coincidentally come to Earth aswell arrived only to get followed by an evil queen and her weird alien henchmen. And then a weird pointless chapter with a time travelling 8 year old... where the turtles personalities weren't even correct most of the time
Honestly i hope the comic gets more serious, i really don't like reading these "super hero parody" chapters, they're awful
I liked the first chapter and the Triceraton one (a little) and the 'shredder is back' chapters the most, the rest were 'meh' so far.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #15
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
So far the Mirage comics are okay, some chapters are really good (not many to be honest) but most chapters are plain awful and seem like filler to me.
Spoiler:
Like the alien girl who randomly came to Earth and teleported the turtles to the medieval times with a demon obsessed with her sceptre. Then some issues later another random alien girl who happens to coincidentally come to Earth aswell arrived only to get followed by an evil queen and her weird alien henchmen. And then a weird pointless chapter with a time travelling 8 year old... where the turtles personalities weren't even correct most of the time
Honestly i hope the comic gets more serious, i really don't like reading these "super hero parody" chapters, they're awful
I liked the first chapter and the Triceraton one (a little) and the 'shredder is back' chapters the most, the rest were 'meh' so far.

Whoah, never seen anyone describe those issues so harshly.
Those are classic issues, that most people remember fondly. Especially the one with Savanti Romero and Renet. Guess they're just not for everyone.
But why'd you have to insult poor Dale Evans Mcgillicutty?
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #16
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Spoiler:
You should have stuck to my reading list. If you're not liking the "filler issues", I doubt you'll have the endurance to make it all the way to issue 48 where the main story picks up again.

As luck would have it, I read issue 8 (Renet, Savanti, and Cerebus) just last week. You'll have a much better appreciation for it if you've read Cerebus at all. Cerebus was a source of inspiration that helped lead to the creation of the TMNT, after all. It certainly has that classic Eastman/Laird feel to it. If you didn't like it, perhaps the Mirage Turtles aren't your cup of tea.

You mentioned the turtles' personalities didn't match most of the time. After reading issue 8, I'd say Leo and Raph are spot on. Don kinda falls into the background as it's really a magic-based adventure set in medieval times, so knowledge of modern science won't be as helpful here. Also, in the comics, Mikey is the least-developed turtle from a character standpoint. You'll find that he falls into the background in many early issues. Eastman and Laird have stated that they didn't really know what to do with him early on. You see a little character development for him in his one-shot and issue #17.

I feel like early TMNT stories have 1 of 2 feels to them. They are either gritty and dealing with things that happen in normal city life (though with a ninja slant), or they go off on a pretty sci-fi tangent. Issues 1-3, Leo, 10, 19-21 all tend to be on the more grounded side of things, even if that means exosuits, ninjas, and mystic worms. Issues 4-7, Don, and 8 have more of a sci fi feel to them with aliens, time travel and lasers. Both sides are part of early TMNT. However, the live action movie tended to stick more to the more realistic side of things (I know, I know, mutant turtles. You know what I mean.) If the live action movies are all you know about classic TMNT, I can see how the Sci-Fi stuff can be jarring.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:37 AM   #17
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Thanks for the answers!

I love the 1990 movie a lot and it has one of my favourite Shredder and Splinter in it, and seeing the Turtles being teenagers but at the same time adult is really nice aswell.
Infact i watched the 1990 movie with my girlfriend 3 days ago

And i don't mind the darker stuff of comics, like with IDW it has some very dark stories and serious tones and i enjoy that a lot, but i just didn't like seeing my favourite characters get mutilated like what happend to Raphael's face... that is beyond horrible and i grew up with these characters so it wasn't a nice sight at all.

But since Vol.03 is nothing but "filler" and Vol.04 forgets about anything Vol.03 did then that is good enough for me, no more Turtles losing limbs and eyes and stuff, that's disturbing

Again thank you for the answers.
Sorry i can't reply to each of you individually because that will take a little too much time
Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #18
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the answers!

I love the 1990 movie a lot and it has one of my favourite Shredder and Splinter in it, and seeing the Turtles being teenagers but at the same time adult is really nice aswell.
Infact i watched the 1990 movie with my girlfriend 3 days ago

And i don't mind the darker stuff of comics, like with IDW it has some very dark stories and serious tones and i enjoy that a lot, but i just didn't like seeing my favourite characters get mutilated like what happend to Raphael's face... that is beyond horrible and i grew up with these characters so it wasn't a nice sight at all.

But since Vol.03 is nothing but "filler" and Vol.04 forgets about anything Vol.03 did then that is good enough for me, no more Turtles losing limbs and eyes and stuff, that's disturbing

Again thank you for the answers.
Sorry i can't reply to each of you individually because that will take a little too much time
I wouldn't skip v3 because the Turtles get banged up...
Spoiler:
they all get healed in the end, at least in the fan made conclusion.

Price/cost to track it all down is a decent reason to not get into it, but don't let battle scars stop you from reading it if you can spare the funds to find them all. Image is a really great run. Its not filler at all and Laird only said its NOT cannon after the fact... like buyers regret when you pay too much for a book that you already had or sellers regret for selling off a book because you needed some cash... lol.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #19
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Hello.

My questions:

1-
Spoiler:

Thank you.

as far as getting into Ninja Turtle comics...

if you've never read them before, i'd say start with the classic early mirage stories.

https://www.comixology.com/Teenage-M...cs-series/7951

^ they are pretty easily available in digital

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613770073/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/161377088X/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/161377138X/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613774966/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1613775539/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

^as well as print, (though much more affordable in digital)

but it's always best to look to where the Tmnt all first started.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #20
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Thanks again!

I really want to get into the Mirage comic because that started it all and i've been a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles since i was a kid (i'm now 30 years old).
Read the Archie comics (and doing so again now), played the video games, watched the 90's trilogy, watched the 80's/90's cartoon.
My girlfriend even got me a Raphael figure this year

Can't wait to start reading the Mirage ones.
I'll look into it.