The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #141
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I'm assuming that WB is so hell-bent on pumping these things out that they made sure that Affleck would be available for 'The Batman' no matter what. I can imagine WB executives having nightmares about not being able to do a Batman movie with Affleck as the star.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 AM   #142
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
everyone loves Batman, even when he stinks up the place.
^ this is unfortunately true of Batman's comics as well.

i haven't been following the creative team of the upcoming Ben Affleck solo Batman film.

it's very disappointing that he'll no longer be directing it, but it's the smart move on his part if he's being rushed.

i knew it was a mistake for WB to schedule all these other solo films ahead of Batman.
he's their only guarantee for ticket sales aside for Superman, and he's been temporarily been written out of the picture.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:56 AM   #143
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I'm assuming that WB is so hell-bent on pumping these things out that they made sure that Affleck would be available for 'The Batman' no matter what. I can imagine WB executives having nightmares about not being able to do a Batman movie with Affleck as the star.
they probably still have Christian Bale's number handy?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #144
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

You gotta think WB would do whatever they needed to keep Affleck on board as Batman. I wonder if part of the reason he left is because of Justice League being a disaster like the rumors say.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:20 AM   #145
CyberCubed
Overlord

I think Affleck will never live it down if he walks off entirely. He'll be viewed as an embarrassment. I don't think he wants that
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #146
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
You gotta think WB would do whatever they needed to keep Affleck on board as Batman. I wonder if part of the reason he left is because of Justice League being a disaster like the rumors say.
I'm more inclined to think it has nothing to do with JL and everything to do with continued studio interference and "hey Ben can we film yet? Can we film yet? Can we film yet? Oh, and can you fit Riddler in there? And Catwoman? And Joker? And Harley? And Deadshot?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think Affleck will never live it down if he walks off entirely. He'll be viewed as an embarrassment. I don't think he wants that
Ben's not the embarrassment; WB at large is.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #147
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I think critics/movie bloggers would applaud him for leaving the DCEU trainwreck due to them rushing the production of the movie just to get it released sooner despite all the negative backlash they've already received. Obviously the nutjob DCEU fans would not agree with it and probably say that Disney paid him to drop out.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #148
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
if he walked entirely some might view it as embarrassing, but i'm sure there are others including myself that would admire his integrity.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #149
CyberCubed
Overlord

The thing is I think he WANTS to be a good Batman. Him leaving the role entirely would seem like him "giving up." You can tell by the interviews he gives that he really wants to be remembered as a good Batman.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:53 AM   #150
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

How is he giving up if WB won't allow him to make a good Batman movie? Their track record with the DCEU is terrible. He's not the one in charge. Why stick around and be associated with another poor movie as Batman?
Old 01-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #151
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
The thing is I think he WANTS to be a good Batman. Him leaving the role entirely would seem like him "giving up." You can tell by the interviews he gives that he really wants to be remembered as a good Batman.
But it doesn't mean a thing when he still turns out to be a good Batman in a mediocre to bad Batman film.

It is a shame that he won't be directing this but if it ultimately means giving us a better film then that's all that matters to me.

There are already a fair amount of people that want Kevin Smith to direct the film but he gave his response through a tweet.

Quote:
“I'm flattered,” Smith tweeted. “But 3 things make me directing Batman impossible: 1) Haven't spoken to Ben in years. 2) I made @YogaHosers, 3) Common sense.”
http://http://comicbook.com/2017/01/...direct-batman/

1.) You're still a fan of the guy though. Apparently you gave him a bare hug when he wore the suit. 2.) I never watched this film since you decided to release this in limited theaters only, though I admit the trailer looked terrible. 3.) "Common Sense" from the guy that directed for a few of DC's TV shows.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 01-31-2017 at 12:09 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #152
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

You people are fooling yourself if you think Ben Affleck could just walk away from Batman at any point, because he feels like it. You can be absolutely certain as soon as he was signed for Batman V Superman, that was a multi-picture deal that guarantees him remaining in the role for probably 3-5 movies, maybe more. Nothing he can do about that.

Him abandoning the director position? That speaks everything to his lack of confidence in how WB is handling things. By this point he kind of knows he's going to be in an embarrassing The Batman movie... all he can do to mitigate damage is just not hurt his director's hat.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM   #153
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You people are fooling yourself if you think Ben Affleck could just walk away from Batman at any point, because he feels like it. You can be absolutely certain as soon as he was signed for Batman V Superman, that was a multi-picture deal that guarantees him remaining in the role for probably 3-5 movies, maybe more. Nothing he can do about that.

Him abandoning the director position? That speaks everything to his lack of confidence in how WB is handling things. By this point he kind of knows he's going to be in an embarrassing The Batman movie... all he can do to mitigate damage is just not hurt his director's hat.
He can portray a badass Batman in a mediocre or bad Batman movie and be fine; but directing and starring in a bad Batman movie would be much more condemning and permanently scarring.

So... yeah, I've seen some articles talking about how "No, this is a GOOD thing!" and all I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

Occam's Razor and common sense bring us to the same conclusion: Ben Affleck could not convince WB to let him do his own thing on his own schedule, and he has little faith in how the universe is being handled.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:17 PM   #154
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

The crazy thing is that Affleck must have warned his WB bosses, several times, that he would leave the director's chair if they pulled a Peter Jackson on him. And they still did it, knowing that the departure would be highly publicized. I think this is the third time a director has run screaming from a DCEU film... do these bigwig execs ever learn? They should be embarrassed.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #155
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
The crazy thing is that Affleck must have warned his WB bosses, several times, that he would leave the director's chair if they pulled a Peter Jackson on him. And they still did it, knowing that the departure would be highly publicized. I think this is the third time a director has run screaming from a DCEU film... do these bigwig execs ever learn? They should be embarrassed.
Moral of the story: pay Christopher Nolan whatever he asks.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM   #156
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ben Affleck will be a good Batman. He already is one. His Batman scenes were the best part of Batman/Superman.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #157
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I really liked Ben Affleck's Batman, and people are kidding themselves if they don't want to see a solo movie with him.
Quote:
Quote:
Ben Affleck will be a good Batman. He already is one. His Batman scenes were the best part of Batman/Superman.
And here I thought you only jerked off to Supergirl.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM   #158
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Personally I love all of this news because this whole WB/DCEU thing has been like watching a car crash from day one. I don't think Ben would walk away from the project all together and I'm not even sure a contract would allow it (though Ben has enough say and clout in Hollywood that he could get out if he really wanted to) but this was also the same guy who went on Jimmy Kimmel a few weeks ago to save face saying "Yeah, I'm directing it...it's gonna be great."

I honestly believe that Justice League isn't coming together the way everyone wants and Ben probably knows this. It sounds like it was a rough, hectic and claustrophobic shoot since they were starting production right around the time that BvS came out and WB wanted them to change things on the fly as they they were shooting...and with all of the stress that came with the reaction to BvS, the reaction to Live By Night, all of the new responsibilities he's taken on for Justice League AND WB wanted them to get things rolling on the solo Batman film ASAP...it just seems like it's adding up to be too much. Again, I don't think Ben will bow out of this DC world completely, but I wouldn't necessarily be shocked either.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #159
ToTheNines
[sic]

They paid that ****ing turd Chris Terrio to do a rewrite.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batma...en-the-a148593
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #160
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

We've come a long way since Man of Steel.

All of it downhill, despite some exquisite casting.

Except for Jesse Eisenberg.

Tags
batman, diversity comics, the cucked crusader