The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
sdp
Megan Fox = April

New Tournament Fighters Rom hacks

The fighting game community at shoryuken forums are making SNES TMNT Tournament Fighters hacks and things are looking promising.

The first one is already done and is mostly the same game but adds some new palette colors being references to different adaptations but also some features that make it "friendlier" to play, here is a link to the game and.here is their Twitter

They plan to do other versions where they add new characters from the other Tournament Fighter games NES/Genesis and rebalance the game:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters: Championship Edition - Vanilla TMNT TF gameplay with lots of quality of life upgrades, 10 characters total. (Karai and Rat King OP and banned).
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Super Tournament Fighters: Reshelled (or some other punny name) - TMNT TF with rebalancing, 12 characters total (Karai and Rat King rebalanced).
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyper Tournament Fighters: Punny name pending - New balance changes while leaving STF as it was, new story, 21 characters total (MegaDrive/Genesis cast: Krang, Casey, April, Zorax/Triceraton, Ray Fillet, Sisyphus - NES Cast: Hothead, Mona Lisa using NES Turtles moveset, and a brand new character tied into the new story)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ??? Tournament Fighters: Yet another punny name involving newer challengers - New balance changes while leaving HTF as it was, 22+ characters total (however many I can make before I run out of space / ideas / manpower / C&D'd / whatever)
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Interesting stuff. I guess this is one thing to look forward to considering we'll never get a proper remake.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Also:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58977

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Oh, it's that project. That completely slipped my mind.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
miru
Mad Scientist

Considering that Mona Lisa will have the NES Turtles moveset, what will happen with the Genesis movesets, and Casey's (and Shredder's, if you count C. Shredder as him) NES movesets? Are the characters from Mutant Melee and Smash-Up given any higher priority than other newcomers?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Considering that Mona Lisa will have the NES Turtles moveset, what will happen with the Genesis movesets, and Casey's (and Shredder's, if you count C. Shredder as him) NES movesets? Are the characters from Mutant Melee and Smash-Up given any higher priority than other newcomers?
So far as I know, there are no definite plans to add Mona Lisa to this project. Characters yet to be added included Rat King and an April O'Neil/Aska hybrid.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Kosheh
New Recruit

Whew - finally, my account was approved not too long ago. I'm Kosheh, the guy who worked on all those palette swaps (and I made sure to REALLY check my sources to pull from every nook and cranny of the TMNT universe!) Some of my other pals haven't gotten their accounts approved yet, so I'll do the best I can to answer any of the questions you guys might have. I did wanna clarify something though:

Quote:
They plan to do other versions where they add new characters from the other Tournament Fighter games NES/Genesis and rebalance the game:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters: Championship Edition - Vanilla TMNT TF gameplay with lots of quality of life upgrades, 10 characters total. (Karai and Rat King OP and banned).
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Super Tournament Fighters: Reshelled (or some other punny name) - TMNT TF with rebalancing, 12 characters total (Karai and Rat King rebalanced).
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hyper Tournament Fighters: Punny name pending - New balance changes while leaving STF as it was, new story, 21 characters total (MegaDrive/Genesis cast: Krang, Casey, April, Zorax/Triceraton, Ray Fillet, Sisyphus - NES Cast: Hothead, Mona Lisa using NES Turtles moveset, and a brand new character tied into the new story)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ??? Tournament Fighters: Yet another punny name involving newer challengers - New balance changes while leaving HTF as it was, 22+ characters total (however many I can make before I run out of space / ideas / manpower / C&D'd / whatever)
Since this post has been made, the lead programmer has appeared at EVO and revealed that Super TF will be a thing. So, basically it's more like:

Quote:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters: Championship Edition:
- Vanilla TMNTTF SNES gameplay
- Several quality of life upgrades planned
- 10 usable characters total
** Special Tournament builds that limit ruleset to tourney legal stages and preset game options.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Super Tournament Fighters (working title):
- Roster is rebalanced, including Karai and Rat King
- All QoL changes from TMNTF:CE
- New original story: A new tournament has been organized, where the grand prize is a mysterious artifact, but many secrets lie under its lustrous glow
- New roster additions of characters from the other versions of TF: Krang, Casey, April, Triceraton, Ray Filet, Sisyphus, Hothead, Mona Lisa [NES Turtles moveset character], and more
- Slash confirmed
We'll be updating the games based on player feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miru
In Casey's case, we'll be turning him into a hybrid of both the NES and Genesis characters with some additional tweaks to keep him as cohesive as possible within TMNTTF SNES' mechanics.
On the second question - TMNTTF SNES celebrates the different aspects of the TMNT universe from that time, and the roster will be sure to maintain that consistency. In other words, the cast consists the characters from the Mirage comic series up until the end of the Murakami-Wolf television series run (we promise Venus isn't in the game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters
So far as I know, there are no definite plans to add Mona Lisa to this project. Characters yet to be added included Rat King and an April O'Neil/Aska hybrid.
There's actually two TMNT fan projects going on in the same Discord channel and I think you might've referenced the other one on accident here (TMNT x Justice League)
- Mona Lisa is in! She's basically the NES Turtles wrapped into one character [weaponless combat]
- April O'Neil and Aska are still two separate characters; rest assured, April won't feel cloney in the least and she definitely won't look like Aska. I don't have the art onhand, but the character's overall look is basically the MD/GEN TMNTTF character but actually looks like the April you remember from this era.

If you guys have any additional questions, let me know! However, there are some things I can't reveal because we want to keep some awesome surprises under wraps for you guys and the FGC!
Kosheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosheh View Post
Whew - finally, my account was approved not too long ago. I'm Kosheh, the guy who worked on all those palette swaps (and I made sure to REALLY check my sources to pull from every nook and cranny of the TMNT universe!) Some of my other pals haven't gotten their accounts approved yet, so I'll do the best I can to answer any of the questions you guys might have. I did wanna clarify something though:

Since this post has been made, the lead programmer has appeared at EVO and revealed that Super TF will be a thing. So, basically it's more like:

We'll be updating the games based on player feedback.

In Casey's case, we'll be turning him into a hybrid of both the NES and Genesis characters with some additional tweaks to keep him as cohesive as possible within TMNTTF SNES' mechanics.
On the second question - TMNTTF SNES celebrates the different aspects of the TMNT universe from that time, and the roster will be sure to maintain that consistency. In other words, the cast consists the characters from the Mirage comic series up until the end of the Murakami-Wolf television series run (we promise Venus isn't in the game)

There's actually two TMNT fan projects going on in the same Discord channel and I think you might've referenced the other one on accident here (TMNT x Justice League)
- Mona Lisa is in! She's basically the NES Turtles wrapped into one character [weaponless combat]
- April O'Neil and Aska are still two separate characters; rest assured, April won't feel cloney in the least and she definitely won't look like Aska. I don't have the art onhand, but the character's overall look is basically the MD/GEN TMNTTF character but actually looks like the April you remember from this era.

If you guys have any additional questions, let me know! However, there are some things I can't reveal because we want to keep some awesome surprises under wraps for you guys and the FGC!
Yeah, it's good we won't get characters like Draxum, Venus, Eric Sachs, etc. But, does this mean we could be getting characters from "And Other Strangeness"? The Mexican "Las Tortugas Ninja" comic? Il Giornalino? The Fleetway comic? The Welsh Magazine? I'm even more curious if the Image series would fit into the set timeframe or not. From what I understand, will Slash be based on the Genesis Turtles, moveset-wise?
Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Kosheh
New Recruit

Whew, sorry I took so long to respond to this. This was just that heavy of a question.
Quote:
Yeah, it's good we won't get characters like Draxum, Venus, Eric Sachs, etc. But, does this mean we could be getting characters from "And Other Strangeness"? The Mexican "Las Tortugas Ninja" comic? Il Giornalino? The Fleetway comic? The Welsh Magazine? I'm even more curious if the Image series would fit into the set timeframe or not. From what I understand, will Slash be based on the Genesis Turtles, moveset-wise?
Unfortunately, most of the playable roster's already been decided - and in deciding who to go with, we generally tried to stick to the inspirations that the SNES Tournament Fighters itself pulled from. So basically, the Archie and Mirage comics, the Murakami-Wolf animated series, TMNT films, and even other games -- the idea being most older TMNT fans would see a character and say "Oh yeah, now that's a throwback". Comic-exclusive characters (like those in Las Tortugas Ninja and Fleetway's works) are relatively obscure, and while real diehard fans' minds would be blown it might leave others somewhat confused. Nonetheless there's still some neat concepts tucked away in those comic book pages.

I wanna try to keep a lid on all the cool things we've got planned but at the least, I can say that in TF SNES, many other characters (albeit mostly the TV characters) had cameos in the backgrounds of stages - and there'll be plenty of stages for other characters you wouldn't expect to pop up in. So the answer's moreso "Never say never", but as for playables, the roster's basically firmed up as we've got gameplay concepts in mind and characters that fit in them fairly well.

As for Slash - isn't there a MUGEN character that plays like that?
The Slash idea we've got for Super TF is basically a mishmash of the existing SNES Tournament Fighters Turtle characters with a playstyle in mind that keeps him feeling unique. I guess you could say more or less a "fifth Turtle", sorta like...Kirby.
In Street Fighter terms, think of how Decapre differs from Cammy or Bison while containing design beats of the two.

EDIT: Wasn't Other Strangeness a D&D-style game, thus allowing for infinite combinations of characters? I feel like that'd be a really odd way of justifying adding original characters... (which btw don't worry, we're not throwing any OCs in, but some characters may be subject to some visual redesigns - like a more recognizable April O'Neil, for instance)

Last edited by Kosheh; 03-09-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Kosheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #10
Streetwize
New Recruit

I wanted to follow up with a reply on this 10 months ago, but I finally got activated (I find it awfully counterproductive to want to reply to something only to wait nearly a year and the thread dies. What if people forget they even registered? Anyway...)
I'm also a part of the hack team. Mainly in charge of QA and will play a big role in character balance since I labbed the game so much. I'm going to answer a few things Kosheh overlooked that I can better answer.

Quote:
The NES game had no weapons so most sprites were reused. Not many sprites were unique between each turtle, while pretty much the opposite is true in the Genesis version. I know you were just asking a question, but doing the Mona Lisa treatment for the Genesis Turtles would be like making Dante from Marvel vs Capcom. Way too many moves for us to work with in one character.
As for what we're going to do with the Genesis turtles, I understand your concern. I have a weird nostalgia for the Genesis version. We're going to replace a couple attacks from their normal moveset with moves from that game to help each turtle stand out more from the others, and possibly add one new move as a command normal. We may have more plans in the future, but right now this is what we're going to do.

I'm not sure if you ever saw the announcement flyer from AnimEVO 2018, but NES Shredder is going to a new character. Without spoiling too much... "Super" Shredder exists independently from the Shredder already present, and is based on the 16-bit beat-em-up Shredder. He will have few similarities to Cyber Shredder.

And as already stated, we're focusing on Mirage-MW era. I love 4Kids Turtles being the series I grew up with, but no cross-generational content. Smash-Up and Mutant Melee are not traditional fighters in the first place.

P.S. I looked into Other Strangeness. I don't think we're touching anything from there. The line is really blurry since they kept it going after the license expired and became non-TMNT.
Streetwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
And as already stated, we're focusing on Mirage-MW era.
What's this, you say?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
Streetwize
New Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What's this, you say?
Generally speaking, the "first generation" of TMNT, from 84~96. It's supposed to end at 1998, but that'd include something most fans dislike, and we probably wouldn't hear the end of it. The franchise was already on a decline by the time the original show ended so 1996 makes a good cutoff point.
Streetwize is offline   Reply With Quote