The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #21
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I didn't mean that literally. Ofc some of you play rugby. I'm sure some Europeans play baseball and american style football as well.

I mean, why didn't you just invest a lot in rugby? Did the sport never really catch on there?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

My theory is, Americans by and large seem to prefer "All-American" things... even if they're "borrowed" from elsewhere.

Baseball is "The National Pastime," but it's heavily based on Cricket, for example. And you've pointed out the football/Rugby association.

We like to take things and "tweak" 'em until they're "Ours". Just how we are.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
My theory is, Americans by and large seem to prefer "All-American" things... even if they're "borrowed" from elsewhere.

Baseball is "The National Pastime," but it's heavily based on Cricket, for example. And you've pointed out the football/Rugby association.

Well nothing wrong with that, per se. But rugby is already physical enough and yet you guys invented an even more dangerous version of it?

...then again I do like pro wrestling. So maybe I have no room to talk.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #24
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

It was time that this ridiculous kneeling stuff comes to an end. The country's national anthem deserve respect. This kind of "football" (yes, they use their hands mostly not their feet-- unlike one that is called "The Beautiful Game" and was invented by England) will be never be an Olympic sport, so they don't have any idea what is to face another country's team, and the winner stands on the podium fighting tears when he or she listens to his or her country national anthem. They are a bunch of rich crybabies. Except one NFL player who stood proudly for the USA national anthem. Why? Because was a war veteran who serve his country before playing the sport.
Klunk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #25
Katie
Just...way too serious.

They didn’t always play the national anthem at sporting events. It’s a fairly recent thing. Like really became prominent during Afghanistan campaigns.

To me, the players aren’t hurting anyone. They aren’t out there burning a flag or anything. Just kneeling. Maybe praying. I don’t find it any more offensive than someone kneeling around a flagpole on the National day of prayer. Hell, in my own office there are three bible study groups...men only!

If the wanna kneel who cares. The nationa anthem has a decidedly racist stanza that we don’t normally sing, but it’s there. Let people express patriotism however feels best to them.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
They didn’t always play the national anthem at sporting events. It’s a fairly recent thing. Like really became prominent during Afghanistan campaigns.

To me, the players aren’t hurting anyone. They aren’t out there burning a flag or anything. Just kneeling. Maybe praying. I don’t find it any more offensive than someone kneeling around a flagpole on the National day of prayer. Hell, in my own office there are three bible study groups...men only!

If the wanna kneel who cares. The nationa anthem has a decidedly racist stanza that we don’t normally sing, but it’s there. Let people express patriotism however feels best to them.
I don't care either way. They can or they can't. It's a company and it's their new policy. If McDonald's said all employees had to do 10 pushups before their shift, that's their business. It's a mega corporation, not a community property... it's whatever.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Perhaps a solution could be proposed where immediately FOLLOWING the National Anthem, one minute of silence would be observed in which everyone could kneel, pray, whatever - as long as it was quiet and respectful.

That seems like a compromise that's more than fair. Nothing is being disrupted, nobody's "beliefs" or causes are being disrespected - everybody gets to do what they want to do, nobody gets hurt, and everyone gets their way. Everyone gets to make whatever personal "statement" they want, and then, after a short 60 seconds, everyone moves the f*ck on with the actual reason they're there in the first place - a bunch of guys crashing into each other for 8 seconds, before somebody blows a whistle and they all stand in a circle watching replays for 20 minutes.

Just seems like the only reasonable thing to do. But then, most of those pesky "actual solutions" require some kind of compromise, and people don't really like to do that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I don't care either way. They can or they can't. It's a company and it's their new policy. If McDonald's said all employees had to do 10 pushups before their shift, that's their business. It's a mega corporation, not a community property... it's whatever.
I'd support that. Some of those people definitely could use the exercise. No kiddin'.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'd support that. Some of those people definitely could use the exercise. No kiddin'.
Of course. The disconnect seems to be, "Wellll I like my football! It's America! It's a part of all of us!! This is so messed up!" No. That's nonsense. It's a company, no different than Microsoft or Amazon or anything else.

The argument against this is literally no different than me saying, "Wtf with the rainbow bandannas on TMNT! So stupid they're rolling with the kiddy shill to appease little kids and nostalgiacs!" While (I feel) true... it's a corporate entity and they can just do whatever because they paid 63 million dollars to do so and the only guy who had the power to say "no" said "yes." Buying toys 20 years ago didn't give us some kind of strange shareholder advantage or anything, it gave us squat.

Equally stupid as the people fervently against this: the people against "Rise of the TMNT."
Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 AM   #29
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Exactly! I mean our national anthem (the music) is borrowed from an old popular English pub song isn’t it?��
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:13 AM   #30
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Yup.
With the lyrics taken from a poem about how even the author was surprised we were still standing after a seemingly Superior onslaught.

And we only drive on the right side of the road because the British drive on the left.

That said, that this entire charade is being characterized as patriotic is laughable.

Kind of curious about what the Venn diagram for people who cry censorship when one of the major Comic companies pulls a cover from a book, and people who are in support of the NFL right now would look like.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 05-24-2018 at 06:21 AM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 AM   #31
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Yup.
With the lyrics taken from a poem about how even the author was surprised we were still standing after a seemingly Superior onslaught.

And we only drive on the right side of the road because the British drive on the left.

That said, that this entire charade is being characterized as patriotic is laughable.
Oh the whole thing is a joke for sure, although I have no doubt that many that have served view it as a patriotic thing but the NFL just wants to keep profits rolling in so they come up with this ridiculous “solution”. And I’m sorry but the whole reason the players are doing it has been completely lost on the public. It’s fair to say neither side has handled any of this all that well
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #32
plastroncafe

Yeah, I don't think there WAS any loss in profits.
This is political, and dangerous.

The current administration is saying that anyone who doesn't stand for the song of our country shouldn't be in our country...that's dangerous.
Those aren't American values.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:47 AM   #33
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
This is political, and dangerous.

The current administration is saying that anyone who doesn't stand for the song of our country shouldn't be in our country...that's dangerous.
Those aren't American values.
There was a loss in revenue in the form of tv ratings. A large portion of NFL revenue comes from tv ratings and sponsors. Tv ratings were down across the board and They lost one of their biggest sponsors (Papa Johns).

I do agree that it is also political though and the current administrations stance is dangerous.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #34
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
There was a loss in revenue in the form of tv ratings. A large portion of NFL revenue comes from tv ratings and sponsors. Tv ratings were down across the board and They lost one of their biggest sponsors (Papa Johns).

I do agree that it is also political though and the current administrations stance is dangerous.
I would be VERY CURIOUS to see hard numbers for this loss, and whether they're in keeping with the overall ratings drop due to alternative methods of viewing or not.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #35
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
The current administration is saying that anyone who doesn't stand for the song of our country shouldn't be in our country...that's dangerous. Those aren't American values.
So anyone without legs, or who is disabled... oh wait, we already know what Trump's view on those demographics are already, so would come as no surprise
Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Pretty sure there was. I know tons of people IRL who refused to watch Seahawks games here last season as a result of a lot of the taking knee business. Even them not letting their kids watch the games either, and the kids being mad about it. It was a thing. I'm also pretty sure Papa John didn't get himself thrown out as CEO of Papa John's by screaming about profits being down if they weren't. That... really wouldn't make any sense at all.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/n...tings-decline/

I mean what, are we to assume they're lying here? For what purpose?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-24-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #37
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I think national anthems work best during games between national teams.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #38
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
I would be VERY CURIOUS to see hard numbers for this loss, and whether they're in keeping with the overall ratings drop due to alternative methods of viewing or not.
https://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...sts-cited.html
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #39
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
It's an interesting correlation, to be sure. But I can't help but think that loss of viewership could also be due to the fact that more people stream their entertainment, rather than watch it on network television.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #40
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
It's an interesting correlation, to be sure. But I can't help but think that loss of viewership could also be due to the fact that more people stream their entertainment, rather than watch it on network television.
I think streaming definitely is an additional cause for loss of tv ratings (3rd variable) But I still think the main/biggest reason is the protest.